• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Instead of Red Gyarados...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Let's imagine you had the chance to introduce shinies through a Pokemon other than Gyarados.

Say instead a shiny Alakazam near Mt Mortar - along those lines. What other Pokemon do you think would be cool as the shiny posterchild? How would you change the storyline? :)

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Shiny Eevee! I dunno what'd change about the story but I'd be a very happy person with a shiny Umbreon. :')

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I keep thinking Red Gyarados is a species and not a shiny.

As for a shiny encounter, I'd say a shiny Shuckle from the pokemaniac would be rad, it would make that pokemaniac in Cianwood city less of a loser because a Shiny Shuckle is indeed a super rare pokemon and worth stealing.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I feel like Ampharos would be a good shiny. Eeryone loved Ampharos, no? And it could be linked with the lighthouse...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
When making this thread the first thing I could think of was Dragonite. A shiny Dragonite. Lance's star Pokemon. He's the champion, like, that's a cool thing. After the battle he could give you access to battle a shiny Dragonite as a reward. You JUST saw the strength of Dragonite... so why not try to get your own to take on Kanto? Would kiiinda make more sense to me than shiny Gyarados. Although the Lake of Rage IS cool.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
The same way you're rewarded with a Dratini with Extreme Speed in HGSS, a shiny Dratini would be great

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
This would be in addition to the Red Gyarados, but I would have had whichever starter your rival (Silver) got be shiny. This would let the characters could drop some information about these rare, highly-valued alternate colors from (almost) the very beginning, and it would add an interesting new dimension to why Silver stole it...Plus, players would feel so smug when they finally got to catch their own Shiny. >:)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This would be in addition to the Red Gyarados, but I would have had whichever starter your rival (Silver) got be shiny. This would let the characters could drop some information about these rare, highly-valued alternate colors from (almost) the very beginning, and it would add an interesting new dimension to why Silver stole it...Plus, players would feel so smug when they finally got to catch their own Shiny. >:)

I guess the only flaw is that you get first dibs, and then you're gonna have a ton of disappointed kids because they didn't get the lucky shiny one :c

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I guess the only flaw is that you get first dibs, and then you're gonna have a ton of disappointed kids because they didn't get the lucky shiny one :c

{D:}

...You have a point, haha; I was just throwing out an idea. (Although that's sort of why I felt that the Red Gyarados event should still be in there...)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I would agree with a Shiny Sudowoodo.

It's a one-of-a-kind catchable Pokemon that does not have another appearance as it only appears one time. So, it should have been at least shiny to make it more valuable.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It already exists. ;p In Pokemon Crystal there's the Odd Egg which you get from the Day Care, which (in English versions of the game anyway) had a ~17% chance of being shiny and always had one of the baby Pokemon (Pichu, Magby, Elekid, etc.). I trust it'll still be in Crystal when released on the Virtual Console.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It already exists. ;p In Pokemon Crystal there's the Odd Egg which you get from the Day Care, which (in English versions of the game anyway) had a ~17% chance of being shiny and always had one of the baby Pokemon (Pichu, Magby, Elekid, etc.). I trust it'll still be in Crystal when released on the Virtual Console.

Yesss I know but we are talking guaranteed to replace Gyrados smh.

Odd Egg is great but no guarantee is no fun for kids!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yesss I know but we are talking guaranteed to replace Gyrados smh.

Odd Egg is great but no guarantee is no fun for kids!
Agreed on the Odd Egg being a bit annoying - it's not obvious it could be shiny and even then it's only a chance, determined when you get the Egg. Thank goodness for the duplicate glitch!

I do agree that Sudowoodo would be a decent choice for an alternative shiny in GSC.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Red Gyarados is so iconic at this point, it's hard to imagine anything but that. I suppose any other gift or stand alone Pokemon would be a good way to introduce it, though. That Gyarados didn't have to be shiny, after all. Could have been the Sudowoodo, the Eevee from Bill, Dratini in Crystal. I was going to even suggest the Togepi from the egg, but Crystal did the Odd Egg which you can possibly get a shiny form, so I'm sure people that played Crystal first and hatched a shiny from that egg had that as their introduction to the concept.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think a good example would have been a Shining Celebi. It was a mythical pokemon at the time, so that alone was amazing. But now it just isn't the same. But if you were to get a Guaranteed Celebi in the GS Ball, I think it would be great. Because the GS Ball had such a large significance in the Johto Saga of the Anime and was supposed to be in the international games, but remained locked.

Togepi and Hoothoot are the only other pokemon I can think of that may have been able to get a Guaranteed Shiny Pokemon. Since Noctowl was the first Shiny Pokemon that anyone saw. Since the episode it appeared in, aired in Japan 6 months before Gold and SIlver game out. Plus, Ash was so much more popular back then, it would have made most pokemon fans love the fact that they got the same Shiny Pokemon as Ash did.

Last edited:
Back