• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Diho

Beginning Game Creator
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2011
No, they are only in the pallet town folder, that's the problem. I need the route1 map to be in the route 1 folder, and the startertownmap in the pallettownfolder.

And about your map connections, you need to change the offset:
The connection from the left to the right, fill in -3, from right to the left, fill in 3.
If it's not correct, keep trying that way.

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
No, they are only in the pallet town folder, that's the problem. I need the route1 map to be in the route 1 folder, and the startertownmap in the pallettownfolder.

The connection from the left to the right, fill in -3, from right to the left, fill in 3.
Thanks for the help and im having that problem too with route 1 it puts it in as 3.19 in pattet town

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
To put a map in the proper folder, go under the Header option when that map is open. There is a drop down menu. Select the right name from that list. Then, Save. Reopen the ROM in Advance Map, and the map should be moved to the right place.

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
To put a map in the proper folder, go under the Header option when that map is open. There is a drop down menu. Select the right name from that list. Then, Save. Reopen the ROM in Advance Map, and the map should be moved to the right place.
Thanks! I fixed my route 1

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Years
Chriskid198:

well, you almost have it right. Just fix the tiles so that they line up/look right. I think it looks correct so far. The corrupted border tile... not completely sure, but try filling it in with a tree sprite and see how that works.

IceArceus:

Open Advance Map and your rom in there, and find where you want your character to be. Then click the Events tab and scroll all the way down. Add 1 to the Person events, and click Change Events. Look at the farthest upper left tile on the same map, and drag the player sprite to where you want him to be. Mess around with the Picture No. for which sprite the character uses. As for his script, use HxD to find a suitable empty spot(Free Space Finder isn't what I like to use; I like HxD better because you get to choose), and type in that offset in Script offset. Then, go into XSE, open your rom, go to THAT offset, and type out your script. If you need help, I might be able to assist with the format. Once you're done, click the gear button; the one whose alt message is Compile. That saves the script to the offset you're at, which is what you want. I don't really like Script Generator all that much because it seems to choose a random empty spot, and it wastes space because there's other empty spots that aren't used right before it; EX: 08800000 is empty, and it chooses 08810500 or similar.

Last edited:

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Years
WOAH. o_o

Well, it looks like you're connecting somewhere that has a lot of border blocks.

Make sure the map bank and map values are right. If they were right, then it would at least look slightly screwed up but you could go further and see the right tiles afterwards. Or you could simply have different tilesets between the maps. Check their headers.

Diho

Beginning Game Creator
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2011
Yeah, that's what I thought so in the beginning.
The problem started after I changed the sizes of the map on the right (I made it half its original size), before that the connections were perfectly fine.
I think I'll reset the connection, that'll prob do the job.

Okay, so, I gave the map on the right this song, to check whether or not it was the correct map. It ís the correct map, the bank and map numbers are correct, and I didn't even use the tile which is shown as a error, in my map.

And now this:
View attachment 56112
All tile errors and stuff, not very alike the map I made.

Last edited by a moderator:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years

Well the maps connections are connected at the side. Does it work the same?

Chriskid198:

well, you almost have it right. Just fix the tiles so that they line up/look right. I think it looks correct so far. The corrupted border tile... not completely sure, but try filling it in with a tree sprite and see how that works.

IceArceus:

Open Advance Map and your rom in there, and find where you want your character to be. Then click the Events tab and scroll all the way down. Add 1 to the Person events, and click Change Events. Look at the farthest upper left tile on the same map, and drag the player sprite to where you want him to be. Mess around with the Picture No. for which sprite the character uses. As for his script, use HxD to find a suitable empty spot(Free Space Finder isn't what I like to use; I like HxD better because you get to choose), and type in that offset in Script offset. Then, go into XSE, open your rom, go to THAT offset, and type out your script. If you need help, I might be able to assist with the format. Once you're done, click the gear button; the one whose alt message is Compile. That saves the script to the offset you're at, which is what you want. I don't really like Script Generator all that much because it seems to choose a random empty spot, and it wastes space because there's other empty spots that aren't used right before it; EX: 08800000 is empty, and it chooses 08810500 or similar.
Filling where with a Tree Sprite?

Diho

Beginning Game Creator
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2011
I fixed the glitch, it seemed to have something to do with the map itself, because the same tiles in a different map turn out with no problems at all.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
I fixed the glitch, it seemed to have something to do with the map itself, because the same tiles in a different map turn out with no problems at all.
Congratulations! I have kinda fixed the errors, but I still have to edit the maps to make it work...

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Arghh... The map errors are still happening :(

If I post the maps here, can you have a look for things that might make things not work..

n38yo7.jpg

fz9jde.jpg

Thanks!

EDIT: Don't worry about this. I have canceled this hack and have started working on another one.

Last edited:

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 7, 2013
how do you insert maps? lets say for some reason i export a map and want to import it in a rom, how would i do this?

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Can someone please list all the possible reasons why a map can go wrong?

Like in the attachment.

Attachments

• Pokemon - Fire Red # GBA_01.png
    Pokemon - Fire Red # GBA_01.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Can someone please list all the possible reasons why a map can go wrong?
Like in the attachment.

Is that all one map, or is it 2 maps (a town connected to a route)? No-one can help you if you don't give information that could be helpful.

Though, it does look like one... What exactly did you do before taking the snapshot? Did you leave the map and come back or what? Not enough info there.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years

Is that all one map, or is it 2 maps (a town connected to a route)? No-one can help you if you don't give information that could be helpful.

Though, it does look like one... What exactly did you do before taking the snapshot? Did you leave the map and come back or what? Not enough info there.

Lemme try and explain it.
It is a town connected to a route. It happens when I walk into the route and back, it fixes itself when I enter a house/building. Uhmm, what other kind of information do you need?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Lemme try and explain it.
It is a town connected to a route. It happens when I walk into the route and back, it fixes itself when I enter a house/building. Uhmm, what other kind of information do you need?

None, for that is enough.

In the Connections editor thing, where it says offset after selecting which connection, the route one must be like the towns one, but with a - in front of it, for example:

The town has 8 in the offset part, meaning the route needs a -8 in the offset for that same connection too.

If they are different, it results in what you have.

Back