Development Complete FireRed Upgrade Page 10

Started by ghoulslash October 11th, 2019 1:06 PM
  • 240 replies
Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
26 posts
5.2 Years
This project looks fantastic and like a great way for people to ease into some of the more complex aspects of rom hacking!

Question. If I were to apply this engine to an in-progress hack, would I still be able to load the rom in popular gen3 tools like G3T?

My hack has each Pokemon knowing a Signature Move where I fiddle with the %s on things like burn chance/stat raises. But there are more options to work with in Gen7+. From reading through the docs it seems this engine is supposed to be applied at the end of development, and it would undo my work on the move table, correct? Would I be able to go back in and mess with moves again with G3T or PGE?

__fred__40

fred

Male
mt silver
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
224 posts
272 Days
And it would undo my work on the move table, correct?
Not if you edit the src/Tables/level_up_learnsets.c file to match the learnsets you created,but if you are using the DPE then I think that you should edit them on the DPE's learnset file and comment(iirc) //#define EXPAND_MOVESETS in src/config file
Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
26 posts
5.2 Years
Not if you edit the src/Tables/level_up_learnsets.c file to match the learnsets you created,but if you are using the DPE then I think that you should edit them on the DPE's learnset file and comment(iirc) //#define EXPAND_MOVESETS in src/config file
Thanks for the response. But I think there was a miscommunication with my concern.

I am aware I can alter the learnsets in the files before I apply the engine. My issue lies with altering the data of the moves themselves.

Example. In my hack Crush Claw is the Signature Move of Braviary and does 90 power with a 100% chance to lower a targets Defense. As opposed to 75 power and a 50% chance which is presumably what this engine will change the move to as its updating things to gen7/8 standards. I am comfortable with going back in and re-editing the moves I have done, but would need to know if I could load my CFRU-Rom in G3T or PGE to do so.

__fred__40

fred

Male
mt silver
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
224 posts
272 Days
Thanks for the response. But I think there was a miscommunication with my concern.

I am aware I can alter the learnsets in the files before I apply the engine. My issue lies with altering the data of the moves themselves.

Example. In my hack Crush Claw is the Signature Move of Braviary and does 90 power with a 100% chance to lower a targets Defense. As opposed to 75 power and a 50% chance which is presumably what this engine will change the move to as its updating things to gen7/8 standards. I am comfortable with going back in and re-editing the moves I have done, but would need to know if I could load my CFRU-Rom in G3T or PGE to do so.
In src/Tables/battle_moves.c you can edit the base power,accuracy,etc.,but changing only this not maybe be enough

Thatsmycheesemonster

Age 26
Male
Seattle, WA
Seen 21 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
3 posts
6.4 Years
Hi there, I'm planning on starting my first rom hack using this base, and I'm trying to make sense of the documentation but I need some clarification. if I'm correct, I should edit the maps, trainers, scripts, and other things with the Dynamic Pokemon expansion and other recomended mods, then apply the CFRU to that rom when I'm done then if i need to make any changes in maps, scripts, etc, I'll make them to the pre-CFRU rom then apply it to that, and keep going like that all throughout development?

i understand that any changes i want to make to CFRU itself like movesets, TMS, and other data can be done right in the CFRU files before compiling, but how would i add those things to maps and scripts if i have to do those beforehand?

JustIChris

Male
Manchester, England
Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
29 posts
2.9 Years
So I've built my rom (with both CFRU and DPE), and gotten to the stage where I've copied over the data into the offsets in Rom 1 (which was test.gba in the DPE master folder).

How do I actually edit this rom now? Do I copy this rom into the CFRU master, make changes to the tables (e.g. movesets, pokemon stats etc), and then run clean.py followed by make.py?

Or something else entirely?

Edit: Also has anyone found that the colours of move types are the wrong colours in battle? E.G selecting a Fire move, Fire is written in a dark black, fight type is green etc?

TIA
Male
United Kingdom
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
2 posts
2.9 Years
So I've built my rom (with both CFRU and DPE), and gotten to the stage where I've copied over the data into the offsets in Rom 1 (which was test.gba in the DPE master folder).

How do I actually edit this rom now? Do I copy this rom into the CFRU master, make changes to the tables (e.g. movesets, pokemon stats etc), and then run clean.py followed by make.py?

Or something else entirely?

Edit: Also has anyone found that the colours of move types are the wrong colours in battle? E.G selecting a Fire move, Fire is written in a dark black, fight type is green etc?

TIA
That final part is the engine showing moves of a type that will induce STAB (bold) and be super effective (green)

Lance Koijer 2.0

Lance Koijer

Male
Criscanto Town
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
93 posts
2.2 Years
Question: About the Overworld Expansion, is JPAN's hack/overworld expansion routine needed for it to work? I tried applying it to a clean ROM without jpan's implementation but the old overworld table is still used instead of the table I made at 0x8A00000.

EDIT: I don't know where to post this one but I figured out something that might help you guys. I have noticed that when you use special 0xd1 (NPC following the player), you will encounter an issue where the NPC from other maps sharing the same person event as the one following the player, that NPC will load the script of your follower. For example:
In Palette Town, if I made the Technology guy (which his person event number is 0x2) dude follow me, the "tree to cut" in Viridian City when I interact to it will instead load the "Technology is awesome script." That also applies in other maps such as the guy that asks in Pewter City if you have checked the Museum already and the rocket grunt that will give you TM dig in Cerulean City.
So, to avoid this issue, I suggest you set the Person Event Number of your follower to something that you think npcs from other maps wouldn't share. Mine's 50 (0x32)
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
22 posts
5.7 Years
It is a great job and I congratulate you, but it is too complicated to understand it and even more to apply it, so I understand that you insert everything mentioned but it is you who has to add it, in my case I only want to insert the movements Z, Mega evolution, gigamax, but I have the MrDS patch and I have the skills and movements expanded, is there a problem if I apply the CFRU?
Male
California
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
27 posts
9.1 Years
I just thought I'd bring up that terrain boosts in Gen 8 are 1.3x rather than 1.5x, I'd imagine an option to revert to this nerf (or vice versa) in config.h is under the works?

Also, I'm not sure if the additions for moves like Expanding Force/Rising Voltage are in its beginning stages but in the src/damagecalc.c I think the power is being calculated incorrectly; currently it's (original BP) * 2 * 15/10 (i.e 1.5) when I do believe the multiplier is supposed to be (original BP *1.5* 1.5) Or 1.3 for the final 1.5, if the terrain nerf is to be added.

edit: upon looking on bulbapedia, rising voltage appears to be original BP * 2 * terrain boost whereas expanding force is original BP * 1.5 * terrain boost
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
22 posts
5.7 Years
A query
If you applied the DEP in the ROM as indicated in the manual, I will rename that same generated ROM (test.gba) to BPRE0.gba and already in this case I applied the CFRU again it generates a (test.gba) there would be some problem if you no longer did the copy and paste steps? Since in theory both motors are installed in different places, it would be pointless to install and then copy a part and paste it discarding the rest.

Regards