• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Gary's Mod (Beta 2 Released!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
I'm playing beta 2 and I must say it is addictive! However, I found a couple bugs:

Spoiler:

I'll keep reporting if I find some more

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I'm playing beta 2 and I must say it is addictive! However, I found a couple bugs:

Spoiler:

I'll keep reporting if I find some more

Hmm... That's interesting. I can't seem to replicate it onto my save file. What exactly happened that caused the other pokemon to mega evolve? Did you KO the mega in one hit? Or Whirlwind it away? Or was it just after you defeated the mega, the next pokemon they sent out was called another pokemon but still had the mega sprite?

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
Hmm... That's interesting. I can't seem to replicate it onto my save file. What exactly happened that caused the other pokemon to mega evolve? Did you KO the mega in one hit? Or Whirlwind it away? Or was it just after you defeated the mega, the next pokemon they sent out was called another pokemon but still had the mega sprite?

In all three ocassions, the Pokémon that were to Mega Evolve were sent first. In the first turn they would Mega Evolve, however, the evolution would affect another Pokémon in the Party. It seemed to retain the original Pokémon's moves, but the type and sprite were replaced by the Mega Evolution as shown in the pic. (For example, that "Ninetales" took a super-effective Bite from Umbreon)

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for the Old Amber one, that's been fixed. Wild battles were because I forgot to change one byte, fixed now. Which trainer couldn't you use your bag against? And the Eevee thing I noticed but didn't know the cause of. It disappears when you evolve it though. ;)

[/code]

Sorry, I don't remember the trainer's name off the top of my head, but its the female trainer you first battle when going east of Cerulean City towards rock tunnel. The lady right after you use cut. Also, will I able to continue my safe file? Thanks!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
It goes up to Fuchsia City (not including the Safari Zone).
Yeah, there are only a few Mega Stones in this Beta. If you wanna know for planning purposes, they're below:
Spoiler:

Haha maybe I'll work something out with the Moonblast TM then

I only plan on having Pokemon up to Gen 3 in the hack, except of course mega evolutions and maybe some of the Gen 4 evolutions of Gen 1 Pokemon (like Rhyperior, Elevtrivire, etc)

I wanted to keep it in line with the Hg/Ss Spiky Eared Pichu so it doesn't evolve at all. And for ease for me, it learns pretty much the same moves as a regular Pichu, with its last move being at Lv 19.

Figured as much. Have found the beedrillite and slowbronite. Almost didn't do the Butterfree - Beedrill trade as I already had a beedrill and my butterfree was timid nature haha. Would have missed out on a life orb (and Adamant Beedrill)!

Standing just before the rock tunnel now, and I've only seen gen I pokes until now (and Pichu + Slowking of course). Are there all pokes from the next 2nd and 3rd gens or only those related to the ones in the 1st gen? Reason I ask this is because I always find a way to somehow end up with some fav 3rd gen pokemon on my team no matter which game I am playing! If they are available, they always find a way.

Also didn't realize the link cable was only a one time item... good thing I save every 10 mins now after the repel issue. No other major bugs to report until now.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
In all three ocassions, the Pokémon that were to Mega Evolve were sent first. In the first turn they would Mega Evolve, however, the evolution would affect another Pokémon in the Party. It seemed to retain the original Pokémon's moves, but the type and sprite were replaced by the Mega Evolution as shown in the pic. (For example, that "Ninetales" took a super-effective Bite from Umbreon)

That's really odd. I'll wait and see if others have the same issue as you or maybe it was a rom patching issue.

Sorry, I don't remember the trainer's name off the top of my head, but its the female trainer you first battle when going east of Cerulean City towards rock tunnel. The lady right after you use cut. Also, will I able to continue my safe file? Thanks!

Okay, thanks for that. And the plan is that from this beta forward to have all saves compatible. So only the truly devoted can have a chance to get em all. ;)

Figured as much. Have found the beedrillite and slowbronite. Almost didn't do the Butterfree - Beedrill trade as I already had a beedrill and my butterfree was timid nature haha. Would have missed out on a life orb (and Adamant Beedrill)!

Standing just before the rock tunnel now, and I've only seen gen I pokes until now (and Pichu + Slowking of course). Are there all pokes from the next 2nd and 3rd gens or only those related to the ones in the 1st gen? Reason I ask this is because I always find a way to somehow end up with some fav 3rd gen pokemon on my team no matter which game I am playing! If they are available, they always find a way.

Also didn't realize the link cable was only a one time item... good thing I save every 10 mins now after the repel issue. No other major bugs to report until now.

Yeah, I've made trades more enticing by giving the Pokemon good natures/IV's. Plus, they're the only way to get Pokemon that evolve through trade while holding items.

While I originally planned on only having Gen 1 Pokemon, there will be Gen 2 & 3 Pokemon available in beta 3 on islands outside of Kanto. Since beta 2 is all in the Kanto region, it didn't make much sense to have Johto and Hoenn pokemon in it.

I've made Trade Cables rare because I wasn't expecting many people to evolve every Pokemon they have. There are, however, 2 trade cables in beta 2 so you'll have to search every nook and cranny for the other one haha.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
That's really odd. I'll wait and see if others have the same issue as you or maybe it was a rom patching issue.

Okay, thanks for that. And the plan is that from this beta forward to have all saves compatible. So only the truly devoted can have a chance to get em all. ;)

Yeah, I've made trades more enticing by giving the Pokemon good natures/IV's. Plus, they're the only way to get Pokemon that evolve through trade while holding items.

While I originally planned on only having Gen 1 Pokemon, there will be Gen 2 & 3 Pokemon available in beta 3 on islands outside of Kanto. Since beta 2 is all in the Kanto region, it didn't make much sense to have Johto and Hoenn pokemon in it.

I've made Trade Cables rare because I wasn't expecting many people to evolve every Pokemon they have. There are, however, 2 trade cables in beta 2 so you'll have to search every nook and cranny for the other one haha.
I did find the two trade cables. Will likely use one for Gengar... I've also started completing the pokedex (for fun!) so maybe make them a little less rare late in the game plz :D

Another small issue that I ran into (that others might as well) is that the lady who wants a soothe bell in exchange for an egg will not give one if the party is full. But she will take the soothe bell anyway. So, make it so that she sends it to the PC if the party is full?

Edit: The small patch of grass south-west in Route 12 (just south of the sleeping snorlax) seems to have nothing in it. I've roamed around for 5 mins now haha. Or basically all other patches of grass outside the cave you meet Mr. Fuji in... or even before the temple etc. Are no Pokemon supposed to be there or this is a glitch?

Edit2: Ok well it's basically happening everywhere on land, but the water's fine for fishing. Unlike the last time, I'm not sure what caused it to happen.

Got resolved as I used a repel and ended it. Seems I was in some perpetual repel limbo without using one.

Also there is the mega evolving issue as OmegaPinkMan explained above. I can explain it in greater detail if you want.

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I did find the two trade cables. Will likely use one for Gengar... I've also started completing the pokedex (for fun!) so maybe make them a little less rare late in the game plz :D

Another small issue that I ran into (that others might as well) is that the lady who wants a soothe bell in exchange for an egg will not give one if the party is full. But she will take the soothe bell anyway. So, make it so that she sends it to the PC if the party is full?

Edit: The small patch of grass south-west in Route 12 (just south of the sleeping snorlax) seems to have nothing in it. I've roamed around for 5 mins now haha. Or basically all other patches of grass outside the cave you meet Mr. Fuji in... or even before the temple etc. Are no Pokemon supposed to be there or this is a glitch?

Edit2: Ok well it's basically happening everywhere on land, but the water's fine for fishing. Unlike the last time, I'm not sure what caused it to happen.

Got resolved as I used a repel and ended it. Seems I was in some perpetual repel limbo without using one.

Also there is the mega evolving issue as OmegaPinkMan explained above. I can explain it in greater detail if you want.

Thanks for the egg one, that's been fixed! New link is at the bottom of the post.

As for the mega evolution, can I hear your side as well? I wanna get a clear picture of what's going on here haha. Also, could I get your save file so I can see firsthand?

Code:
[url]https://www.mediafire.com/?ekpu76mu9ijlc9u[/url]

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the egg one, that's been fixed! New link is at the bottom of the post.

As for the mega evolution, can I hear your side as well? I wanna get a clear picture of what's going on here haha. Also, could I get your save file so I can see firsthand?

Code:
[URL]https://www.mediafire.com/?ekpu76mu9ijlc9u[/URL]

- Well, first off, when you battle the sage it starts of with the normal Gengar, like this.
QmbtDAB.png

- Then it says some nonsense like the one above "Ninetales's Gengarite is reacting to the ring"
- The Gengar does not actually become Mega Gengar in sprite and once you defeat it, it says
u1rbp1l.png

- Oookay. Only it doesn't actually use the ninetales afterwards, but it is instead the ninetales hiding behind the mega Gengar sprite. Name: Ninetales, Sprite: Mega Gengar, Actually it is: Ninetales
LpnBg5N.png

The same thing happened in the battle afterwards with the guy who wants the flute for himself. Only in his case the confusion is between Marowak and Mega Pidgeot instead. Looks like Mega Pidgeot, acts like Marowak!
1zU43c6.png

So it's basically the pokemon that is supposed to come after the mega pokemon takes over the mega pokemon's sprite while retaining its own moveset. The Pokemon does not change the sprite mid-battle but instead the next Pokemon takes over the sprite.

I've gone way ahead in my save so I'm not sure if it'll help you much. If you still need it, let me know.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
While you are going ahead with looking at the previous issue, there are a couple smaller ones as well.

I was training my Clefairy and it learned moonblast at lv. 37 (I think). Anyways, the screen shows moonblast to be a status move? And it has a whopping pp of 40 haha. Plus after I used my moon stone on the clefairy it evolved into clefable and became lvl 43 for some reason. I don't really mind, free leveling up is cool.

I just used a mega pokemon for the first time and it seems quite bugged (Mega Gengar). I'll just explain with pics again...
wnBr76W.png

So I start off with the guys I haven't named. And as punishment for that, my name gets omitted the first time. And yes, I'm called Gayery. You should have expected that when you gave Butts as the name for the rival haha :P

hhoqBXR.png

So, my boy mega evolves. And it's not any different at all. This is kinda expected after my battle with the shaman. But that's not the bad part...

yWYcL9q.png

What's even worse is that my EV-trained (248 in SpA), Modest, lvl 44 Mega-Gengar... does THAT much damage to that Hitmonlee. My Snorlax is taking out guys for fun, while my Gengar is acting like it's a Caterpie. Not only that, but it ended up dying to a bullet punch right after that. So maybe it's defense is also like a Caterpie's! It once managed to become slower than my snorlax as well.

Now, I battled them again right after it, to see if my normal Gengar without Mega evolution would fare and he straightshotted everything with Shadowball.

So, imo, mega-evolution makes the pokemon way way weaker instead.

So, here's my save file. I've saved in right in front of that duo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/phbd4penqi1uors/1636 - Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U).sav?dl=0

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
While you are going ahead with looking at the previous issue, there are a couple smaller ones as well.

I was training my Clefairy and it learned moonblast at lv. 37 (I think). Anyways, the screen shows moonblast to be a status move? And it has a whopping pp of 40 haha. Plus after I used my moon stone on the clefairy it evolved into clefable and became lvl 43 for some reason. I don't really mind, free leveling up is cool.

I just used a mega pokemon for the first time and it seems quite bugged (Mega Gengar). I'll just explain with pics again...
wnBr76W.png

So I start off with the guys I haven't named. And as punishment for that, my name gets omitted the first time. And yes, I'm called Gayery. You should have expected that when you gave Butts as the name for the rival haha :P

hhoqBXR.png

So, my boy mega evolves. And it's not any different at all. This is kinda expected after my battle with the shaman. But that's not the bad part...

yWYcL9q.png

What's even worse is that my EV-trained (248 in SpA), Modest, lvl 44 Mega-Gengar... does THAT much damage to that Hitmonlee. My Snorlax is taking out guys for fun, while my Gengar is acting like it's a Caterpie. Not only that, but it ended up dying to a bullet punch right after that. So maybe it's defense is also like a Caterpie's! It once managed to become slower than my snorlax as well.

Now, I battled them again right after it, to see if my normal Gengar without Mega evolution would fare and he straightshotted everything with Shadowball.

So, imo, mega-evolution makes the pokemon way way weaker instead.

So, here's my save file. I've saved in right in front of that duo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/phbd4penqi1uors/1636 - Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U).sav?dl=0

Thanks for the Moonblast thing, I think it's something with MrDs's Patch but it should be a very easy fix.

As for the gengar mega evolution, I believe it's a known bug in touched's routine that mega evolving during double battles isn't fully functional yet. It still works in single battles, just double battles will be glitchy haha.

And thanks for the save file, now I feel completely inadequate that you've managed to not only catch 5x more Pokemon than me, but also level your team waayyyy past what I was anticipating anyone to level. :P

---------------------------------------------------------

I believe I have fixed the buggy issues that everyone is experiencing with Mega Evolution with the current patch. Hopefully it was due to me expanding the Pokemon tables after I inserted Mega Evolution, so I reinserted the mega evolution and it works even on my save file provided by Pokey_Man.

If you have already beaten the 3 people that use Mega Evolution, go upstairs on the Pokecenter in Fuchsia City and talk to the table to the left of the promo guy. If you did it right, you should be able to rechallenge Koga and test if the Mega Evolution has been fixed. Yes, this means you could potentially keep running back and forth and farm Money/TM Toxic's but it's whatever. Go crazy if you want haha.

Code:
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/download/hfb285p3b73bu9i/Pokemon+GM+2.03.ips[/url]

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the Moonblast thing, I think it's something with MrDs's Patch but it should be a very easy fix.

As for the gengar mega evolution, I believe it's a known bug in touched's routine that mega evolving during double battles isn't fully functional yet. It still works in single battles, just double battles will be glitchy haha.

And thanks for the save file, now I feel completely inadequate that you've managed to not only catch 5x more Pokemon than me, but also level your team waayyyy past what I was anticipating anyone to level. :P

---------------------------------------------------------

I believe I have fixed the buggy issues that everyone is experiencing with Mega Evolution with the current patch. Hopefully it was due to me expanding the Pokemon tables after I inserted Mega Evolution, so I reinserted the mega evolution and it works even on my save file provided by Pokey_Man.

If you have already beaten the 3 people that use Mega Evolution, go upstairs on the Pokecenter in Fuchsia City and talk to the table to the left of the promo guy. If you did it right, you should be able to rechallenge Koga and test if the Mega Evolution has been fixed. Yes, this means you could potentially keep running back and forth and farm Money/TM Toxic's but it's whatever. Go crazy if you want haha.

Code:
[URL]http://www.mediafire.com/download/hfb285p3b73bu9i/Pokemon+GM+2.03.ips[/URL]

I've tried out the new mega evo and it works like a charm in single battles (against Koga). Would have preferred to farm a better TM than Toxic though :D

Some of the hacks nowadays allow reusable TM's as well. Which is great because who doesn't want an army of earthquakes! That is probably not possible now, but a guy selling TM's at the Pokemon League would be cool.

Spoiler:

Also, is slowpoke actually available somewhere? My pokedex shows me it should be somewhere in Fuchsia City but the only water source there doesn't. Or do I have to surf for it?

As for,
And thanks for the save file, now I feel completely inadequate that you've managed to not only catch 5x more Pokemon than me, but also level your team waayyyy past what I was anticipating anyone to level.
12.%20tongue.gif
I was really just trying to complete my pokedex with respect to what I'd seen already. I have a full team already, so this was the only thing left. The life orb on that beedrill caused me to ditch Eevee and use magic-guard Clefable instead :P

These are the ones still missing:
Spoiler:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I've tried out the new mega evo and it works like a charm in single battles (against Koga). Would have preferred to farm a better TM than Toxic though :D

Some of the hacks nowadays allow reusable TM's as well. Which is great because who doesn't want an army of earthquakes! That is probably not possible now, but a guy selling TM's at the Pokemon League would be cool.

Spoiler:

Also, is slowpoke actually available somewhere? My pokedex shows me it should be somewhere in Fuchsia City but the only water source there doesn't. Or do I have to surf for it?

As for,

I was really just trying to complete my pokedex with respect to what I'd seen already. I have a full team already, so this was the only thing left. The life orb on that beedrill caused me to ditch Eevee and use magic-guard Clefable instead :P

These are the ones still missing:
Spoiler:

Haha it's worth considering making TMs infinite but that means I'll have to jack up the prices for them all.

The last two stones you're looking for are
Spoiler:

Slowpoke is found in Fuchsia but only through surfing atm, so not really available haha.

I can tell you that a couple of Pokemon on your list (3 to be exact) are actually available in beta 2. Just walk around in Lax Mountain some more to find them. ;P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Haha it's worth considering making TMs infinite but that means I'll have to jack up the prices for them all.

The last two stones you're looking for are
Spoiler:

Slowpoke is found in Fuchsia but only through surfing atm, so not really available haha.

I can tell you that a couple of Pokemon on your list (3 to be exact) are actually available in beta 2. Just walk around in Lax Mountain some more to find them. ;P

Found the two stones. Really did not want to fish for all those magikarps.

As for the three, I just hadn't checked there thoroughly since nothing showed up the first time and the pokedex didn't mention anything over there. I found two of them
Spoiler:
, is the third one outside in the grass or in the mountain itself?

Edit: Nvm, found the bull (an adamant one on the first try!)

Another largely insignificant issue is that when the leftovers recovery happens, the bar changes but the numbers below don't. For eg, say leftovers recovery raises HP from 173/186 to 186/186... it won't say 186/186 even if the bar is full. It will however do it if you go to the Pokemon or bag menu and come back to the battle.

A pretty useless bug to report, I know.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2023
I am really enjoying th ebeta so far! Awesome job!
Oh! btw On the S.S. ANN, this kid just runs into this table when you enter the room.
Spoiler:

Was volt switch all ways this helpful to farm exp? I can switch train with it!

EDIT: Idk when this happened but somewhere along the line my starter lost it's Lv before the number for it's level...

Spoiler:

So now it's just 21 something.... is it's age 21? Is it legally able to drink now?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but have you thought about trying to implement the gen 5 TM system?

Last edited:

Wen

Years
Oh no, I had this idea too! Well, maybe I'm gonna do my version as well.
Anyways, looks pretty cool, good job.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Found the two stones. Really did not want to fish for all those magikarps.

As for the three, I just hadn't checked there thoroughly since nothing showed up the first time and the pokedex didn't mention anything over there. I found two of them
Spoiler:
, is the third one outside in the grass or in the mountain itself?

Edit: Nvm, found the bull (an adamant one on the first try!)

Another largely insignificant issue is that when the leftovers recovery happens, the bar changes but the numbers below don't. For eg, say leftovers recovery raises HP from 173/186 to 186/186... it won't say 186/186 even if the bar is full. It will however do it if you go to the Pokemon or bag menu and come back to the battle.

A pretty useless bug to report, I know.

Haha yeah, I'm not too concerned with tiny graphical bugs but I'll put it in the front post anyways.

I am really enjoying th ebeta so far! Awesome job!
Oh! btw On the S.S. ANN, this kid just runs into this table when you enter the room.
Spoiler:

Was volt switch all ways this helpful to farm exp? I can switch train with it!

EDIT: Idk when this happened but somewhere along the line my starter lost it's Lv before the number for it's level...

Spoiler:

So now it's just 21 something.... is it's age 21? Is it legally able to drink now?

Thanks for the S.S Anne kid, fixed him.
And yeah, Volt Switch is a godsend in the early game haha.

As for the lack of "Lv" on Eevee, I think it's a graphical thing caused by Touched's mega evolution. It might be because Eevee has 5 (the max) evolutions that it thinks it's a mega pokemon or something? Idk.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but have you thought about trying to implement the gen 5 TM system?

I'm thinking about it but the idea of reusable TM's seems kinda broken. I think the TM system in Fire Red is fine as is, but I'll think about the gen 5 TM system.

Oh no, I had this idea too! Well, maybe I'm gonna do my version as well.
Anyways, looks pretty cool, good job.

Haha thanks. I'm positive that you have different ideas from mine and it's not like this game is cannon so you can make your own that is 10x bigger and better. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beta 2 v2.04 fix is out. This fixes a couple of minor glitches like the bridges not connecting right in route 12, Mr. Fuji not having a proper trainer sprite, and hopefully the Pewter City fossil revival.

Code:
[url]https://www.mediafire.com/?9183z472bezz68v[/url]

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2023
I've actually found more people that just run into walls for some reason. It's really weird is that a mistake by you, or did you mess with the rom and it screwed up the way npc's walk around? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back