Sixth Generation The Kalos region awaits! Explore the first 3D Pokémon region while putting a stop to Team Flare. Then, revisit the Hoenn region with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire!

Draconius GO

Old October 30th, 2017 (1:16 PM).

Nature: Mild
    6th gen is my 3rd favorite. I've only played Omega Ruby, not X or Y. But it was one of my favorite games in the series. I still prefer gen 2 and gen 3, but playing X/Y could change my opinion though.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 11th, 2017 (8:45 PM).
    Hope springs eternal

Nature: Adamant
      Eh, my relationship with gen 6 is a bit complicated. I do like many of things it featured, including: character customization (and I feel it was better executed in Kalos than in Alola), fairies, 3D (though I was quite sad to see the sprites go), and the new Pokémon were pretty great overall. In fact, Espurr is likely my second favourite Pokémon of all time, and Xerneas is currently my top legendary. Kalos is also pretty cool geographically.

However, on the more negative side of things, there were a fair few issues I found with Gen 6. The first is X/Y's storyline, it's fairly weak, which is even more glaring considering how strong its predecessor was plot-wise. Gen 5 also featured developed rivals, a super-interesting evil team, and involved gym leaders; none of these things made it over to Kalos.

ORAS, oddly enough, didn't captivate me the way I thought it was. I can't even pinpoint concrete reasons for this, I just lost interest before finishing the main story. I may replay it and try using a different team to see if that helps, but yeah. I was sad you couldn't decorate your room or unlock the older outfits (could have made a cool reward for beating the evil team, for example).

I was also going through an extremely rough time when Gen 6 kicked off, and things didn't get better for a long time. It's possible the ongoing difficulties influenced how I reflect upon this gen. That being said though, I'm very grateful that I had X when I did, and it helped distract me from what was happening. My X team is quite special to me, they saw me through grief and medical difficulties.

Paired with my BF, CountDVB
      Old November 12th, 2017 (11:21 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Star Arcana View Post
        Eh, my relationship with gen 6 is a bit complicated. I do like many of things it featured, including: character customization (and I feel it was better executed in Kalos than in Alola), fairies, 3D (though I was quite sad to see the sprites go), and the new Pokémon were pretty great overall. In fact, Espurr is likely my second favourite Pokémon of all time, and Xerneas is currently my top legendary. Kalos is also pretty cool geographically.

However, on the more negative side of things, there were a fair few issues I found with Gen 6. The first is X/Y's storyline, it's fairly weak, which is even more glaring considering how strong its predecessor was plot-wise. Gen 5 also featured developed rivals, a super-interesting evil team, and involved gym leaders; none of these things made it over to Kalos.

ORAS, oddly enough, didn't captivate me the way I thought it was. I can't even pinpoint concrete reasons for this, I just lost interest before finishing the main story. I may replay it and try using a different team to see if that helps, but yeah. I was sad you couldn't decorate your room or unlock the older outfits (could have made a cool reward for beating the evil team, for example).

I was also going through an extremely rough time when Gen 6 kicked off, and things didn't get better for a long time. It's possible the ongoing difficulties influenced how I reflect upon this gen. That being said though, I'm very grateful that I had X when I did, and it helped distract me from what was happening. My X team is quite special to me, they saw me through grief and medical difficulties.
        You wrote beautifully, Thankyou <3
        Old November 12th, 2017 (3:43 PM).
        • Gold Tier

Simply put: 5 = 4 > 3 > 2 > 7 > 6 > 1

I couldn't have ranked B/W above Gen. 4 and Gen. 3 at the time, but B2/W2 were huge improvements and made it into some of my favourite in the series. The animated 2D sprites really brought the Pokémon to life without sacrificing the charm of 2D sprites, too.

Sun/Moon are in the same boat right now. I couldn't rank them above OR/AS and HG/SS right now, but I'm hoping that US/UM will deliver just as well as B2/W2 did. I might be able to bring Gen. 7 into second place then.

The problem with Gen. 6 (a.k.a. X/Y) is that they released the game in (imo) a very incomplete state.

- Platinum, HG/SS, B/W and B2/W2 shipped with a second round of the Elite Four, at higher levels and with better teams. In X/Y, we got Elite Four members that had only 4 Pokémon and who never upgraded past the first run through. In a game where the only other real alternative to training Pokémon in the post-game is to fight the same 5 trainers over and over again at a restaurant, I'd at least appreciate having a higher level Elite Four to battle with better and fuller teams.

- There is nothing to do in the post-game... unless you enjoy competitive battling. Because the only new things they really brought to the table with X/Y is QoL improvements to breeding and EV training for competitive, and they didn't bother including anything else. They had a lot of really good content in previous games that provided a lot of replay value, why didn't they include any of it?

- There was a very obvious plot point with Zygarde that was abandoned. Were they planning to do a Z version where this would be expanded upon? Maybe XZ/YZ versions? Whether they did or not, this was left incomplete.

- While not necessarily a point against the games, I much preferred the 2D sprites aesthetic of Gen. 5 to everything-is-3D-models of Gen. 6, and it doesn't help that Pokémon colors are washed out on the 3D models.

They basically fixed all of my complaints with OR/AS (aside from the aesthetics I just mentioned), but to rank Gen. 6 higher just because of OR/AS would be an insult to OR/AS. It shouldn't have to be picking up X/Y's slack.
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:25 AM).
        Resident Brony

Nature: Calm
          gen 6 honestly felt too short. like what really did we get? X/Y ORAS and Super Mystery Dungeon, that was it. considering there was a 4 year gap between diamond/pearl and black/white and in that time we saw remakes, a third version and a plethora of side games including 3 pokemon ranger games, a pokemon mystery dungeon game an its expansion version. a new stadium style 3d battle game and several more. 3 games form gen 6 just feels like a let down.

though then again this could be the norm nowadays and after USUM we could be looking at gen 8 in a years time. i hope not.

but yeah gen 6 is low for me, not as low as Gen 1 or Gen 3 but low still, probably 3rd bottom ahead of Gen 3 and Gen 1
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:55 PM).

X/Y are the games I liked the least personally. The story was boring, I didn't like the rivals, and there were very few memorable characters.

OR/AS on the other hand were fantastic. If they had included the Battle Frontier (still salty about that honestly) they'd be my favorite games.
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:22 AM).
            every story
            • Platinum Tier

Nature: Naive
            I liked some things and really didn't like other things. Kalos wasn't very fun, for example, but battle gameplay was very fun compared to gens before it.

It's not my fav, probably on the lower half of my fav gens list.
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:48 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Maserati777.

1: Gen 2
              2: Gen 6
              3: Gen 1
              4: Gen 3
              5: Gen 5
              6: Gen 7

I mainly rank them on time I played them, not for plotlines (Didn’t realize Pokemon games had plotlines until someone mentioned it on here). I figure if I spend a lot of time in a game I must like it. I played gen 2 for over 10 years, I’ve maxed the time out in gen 6 thanks to picking up shiny hunting in this gen. In comparison I realized pretty early on I wasn’t as interested in gens 3, 5 and 7. The latter I played for maybe a couple weeks.

I haven’t played Gen 4. I have purchased some of the games recently but I’m more interested in shiny hunting in gen 6 right now.
              Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:58 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by khaozz.
              Peace sells, but who's buying?

Nature: Timid
                Gen 6 is honestly my third favorite gen. Despite its problems, it has so many things going for it. The sheer variety of Pokemon available in XY, Mega Evolutions, Fairy type, Super Training, Pokemon Amie, PSS, O-Powers, the new EXP Share mechanics, and plenty of great Pokemon introduced that are now favorites of mine (Delphox, Chesnaught, Sylveon, Goodra, Klefki, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Vivillon, and Diancie are just a couple of examples). Only Gens 2 and 3 rank higher to me for personal reasons.

Name: Shadow
                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

"The circumstances of ones' birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
                -Mewtwo

Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:04 PM).
                The typo Queen
                • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
                3th place for me! Right after 2 and 5.
                I loved the game and played more than 600 hours on it, definitely the game I spent more time on that I can remember. I completed the Pokedex and the shiny dex isn't going that bad neither. Great Pokemon, I liked the villains and the story, it was fun. The mega Pokemon did impress me at first. Great game imo and so many good memories.

Beep Beep
                I'm a sheep ?
                Old 2 Weeks Ago (6:56 PM).
                • Platinum Tier
                • PokéCommunity Daily
                • Discord Moderoid
                • Developer

Nature: Quirky
                hard bottom of the list. sorry
                it introduced awesome new mechanics and that's really all it has going for it in my eyes. even with that, it didn't introduce enough to make up for what it removed from the previous generation.
                Old 2 Weeks Ago (2:59 AM).

Nature: Timid
                  I liked gen 6. It had a good story and some cool Pokemon in it.
                  Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:21 PM).

I like the sixth generation mainly for x and y. I wish these games just got a better story and they would probably be my favorite of all time. I know a lot of people dislike this generation mainly because of x and y, but let me explain lol.

I'm one of the people who hated the fifth generation. I don't like most of the pokemon, the characters, the story, and I thought the graphics looked pretty bad. So because of that I liked how x and y took a less is more approach. There were significantly less pokemon, but I thought they were of higher quality. I liked the addition of fairy types, the overhaul into 3D looked so much smoother, trainer customization, plus wonder trade and amie... need I say more? Even after USUM I think trainer customization had a lot more variation clothing wise in x and y.

I also felt that x and y handled legendaries well. For the past couple generations before the sixth, we had so many minor legendaries dumped on us which made the idea of being a legendary pokemon seem so much less special. I thought that yveltal, xerneas, and zygarde were well designed and I enjoyed the story behind them.

As for mega evolution, I think it's okay but it's nothing that has enticed me too much. At the same time, even though it was apart of the story you never really had to use mega evolution at any point if you didn't want to. Besides with lucario once I believe?

Also laugh at me, but when I first played y, it brought a tear to my eye because I couldn't believe how far everything had come. Kalos as a region was designed well along with the pokemon. Sadly, there was so much overhaul that I think the story was put to the side and the difficulty wasn't really present at all.

Quick Reply