• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What you liked before.

Vragon

So we all can agree that BW2 are defiantly better than BW. However, I'd like to raise a bit of nostalgia and ask you what in BW did you like that BW2 either didn't have or didn't do as good?

Two examples from me are,
Route 10's OST being on you know, the actual route and not being in a cabin only in winter.

and getting to gain Zekrom (Zekrom is my dragon legend yo!) in story. While I do like the story of BW2 I never could surpass my enjoyment of seeing Zekrom come out of the stone for the first time, appearing before me and battling, catching it in a master ball (I was a newb don't judge) and fighting alongside my new friend against N (And beating Reshiram with Zekrom cause I wasn't too bad of a newb).

So what's something you lot liked in BW that BW2 didn't have or seemed to not do as well?

Years
Don't lump me in with the mainstream opinion, I don't agree that BW2 is better than the originals. Gen 5 was my favorite generation until I played the sequels actually. Then I just saw the gen as a whole as pretty good rather than great.

Specifically what do I think they did better before?

Ghetsis. They nerfed him in BW2. His Hydreigon received all physical moves instead of special to make him hit a lot softer, and lost all the coverage moves that made him able to counter so many different types of pokemon. I disliked the speeded up tempo and more electronic sound to his battle theme too. The remix is more like lets rock and roll, than a theme that captures the horror of the situation. Too bad, the original is my favorite ost.

They hardly showed Ghetsis, and instead gave a great deal of actions to Zinzolin, who was an annoying character. He was the guy always trembling and repeating how cold it was, and just loked ridiculous in that purple get up. Team Plasma began to feel more like Jesse and James of Team Rocket, not someone to take seriously. There's no character arc for Zinzolin to explain why he's showing up in Undella city, it is all coming out of the blue.

Character development was definitely something I liked better in the original BW. I have never been able to reconcile myself with the opinion that the sequels were darker with more multi-faceted characters. Rather than more complex, Ghetsis was made more extreme and cartoonishly evil. Instead of wielding power behind the throne he wants to destroy Unova, and rather than concealing his ambition he now gleefully trumpets from the rooftops that this is his mission. This is the opposite of making the characters more multi-dimensional.

Pity, Ghetsis was one of the better villains in the series. Charismatic, manipulative. He made people question the morality of the world they lived in. He had a coherent arguement for why someone should join with him, that previous villains did not have.

I definitely prefer the originals for the way Team Plasma is portrayed. In BW Plasma is filled with honorable, dedicated people who think the system of capturing Pokemon is exploitative, cruel and unethical and want to see it overthrown. An organization not unlike many we know today with good intentions from the majority of people involved, but corrupted at the top level unfortunately. That was more interesting to me than a band of criminals, now dressed like burglars, joining up to plunge the world into nuclear winter.

No sir! I like the old plot better.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I enjoyed being limited to Unova only Pokemon, made the place feel foreign and new. Kind of refreshing. People complained about that, and now we get gen 1 Pokemon spammed everywhere.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I agree with the others that the original BW plot was better. (also the rivals were better and more likeable, Hugh was so annoying)

Also this is probably an unpopular opinion but I prefer how in the original BW you could only catch 5th gen pokemon. It just felt more special somehow. I'd say it's the closest feeling I've gotten to playing Pokemon for the first time.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ngl Vragon this is one of my favourite threads.

Mainly because I am a mega BW fangirl :))

Now though!

Story is an obvious but for me west of Unova just didn't have the same magical feeling as the east so starting there wasn't really great for me. The story WAS better in BW but that doesn't really affect me too much. It's more things that were added that I felt were gimmicky - PokeStar, Join Avenue - felt like they were catered to the casuals. At least Musicals wasn't really forced onto you as much in BW. I preferred our rivals in BW - Hugh just seems whiny.

And route 10. They removed route 10. Yes I love route 10 - I don't know why anyone wouldn't tbh.

Back