• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PokéCommunity Social Network Society

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
It seems amazing to think that we're starting to use less and less "paper" invites and flyers nowadays. Facebook and other social media are becoming effective ways of announcing events, as well as knowing how many people are actually going or not. I did this method last year with my niece's birthday party, and it was a huge success. We saved a ton of money and paper on invitations.

Do you think the use of social media is effective on this for other type of events or announcements? Do you think we should go back to paper announcements?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
I'd say it is pretty amazing how social media is more effective than paper since it spreads the word faster and it is eco-friendly too <3

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I know! It may benefit the use of technology so much, but it also has its disadvantages, obviously. When my sister used facebook to deliver invites to everyone we know, many of the older people (mainly grandma and great aunts and uncles) don't have much access to facebook, or don't even have a facebook at all (or any social media for that matter), and for that reason we had to make little paper invites to mail them out.

My town's events are announced on both television, social media, and on paper. Since last year, attendances to parades, carnivals, and other events skyrocketed because they advertised using twitter and that reached out a LOT of people...which is good \o/

Years
PC Username: Sheep
Handles: whimsycott on Twitter
Reason for joining: I'm really only a fan of Twitter but that love for it has grown so much over the last year. I didn't ever think it would be so addicting to just write updates on your life and chat with others. Yes!

What do you use social sites for?

Just ranting if need be, talking about random things when I'm in the mood for talking but not so much to tell someone directly, and conversing with people. It really helps me stay in touch with some.

Where do you use your social media the most? On your phone, tablet, or computer?

My laptop. :D I browse Twitter daily and often find myself clicking the tab even when I don't plan to write anything, haha. Habit!

TY

Where do you use your social media the most? On your phone, tablet, or computer?

Laptop and phone, since i don't have a tablet to start off with and my usage for phone and laptop in terms of social media are kinda the same :P

Years
PC Username:
Vanille Sky

Handles:
- Facebook: You can send me a VM/PM asking for it (:
- Tumblr: Konpeito
- Instagram: kailunee

Reason for joining:
I'd like to be able to socialize with other people on PC that enjoy using social media (:

One of the main reasons of using social media is because it's a way to keep in touch with my friends since the majority of them are active on FB and sometimes it's the only way to contact them -.-

Honest

Hi!
Years
PC Username:
-Dakota
Handles:
-Facebook: facebook.com/superdupii (I don't mind you adding me, so long as I know who you are)
-Instagram: superdupi
-Ask.fm: http://ask.fm/Derpoo
-Kik: superdupi
Reason for joining:
-I use social networks extremely often, so I figured I might as well get in on this. ;3 Also joined, I'll admit, to get to connect with people on PC outside of PC.
-Facebook to connect with and talk to people, IG as a method of satisfying my photography addiction/hobby, Ask when I'm really bored and want something interstesting, and Kik as a backup to Facebook Messenger :D

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
New peeps! Gunner will be so happy :D Welcome aboard~

I wanna shift things a little towards Facebook. Guess what? It turned 10 years old! To celebrate, Facebook came up with a neat little idea by creating a video of all our facebook moments, from the day we joined to our best posts, to what we are now. I made mine yesterday, and I just...laughed at myself because most of my first moments on facebook were with my ex-boyfriend and I'm glad none of those were in that video. xD

For those with facebook, you can view/share your #facebookis10 video by clicking here. What do you guys think of that? Pretty neat, huh?

Salzorrah

Years
PC Username: Sheep
Handles: whimsycott on Twitter
Reason for joining: I'm really only a fan of Twitter but that love for it has grown so much over the last year. I didn't ever think it would be so addicting to just write updates on your life and chat with others. Yes!

Just ranting if need be, talking about random things when I'm in the mood for talking but not so much to tell someone directly, and conversing with people. It really helps me stay in touch with some.

My laptop. :D I browse Twitter daily and often find myself clicking the tab even when I don't plan to write anything, haha. Habit!

PC Username:
Vanille Sky

Handles:
- Facebook: You can send me a VM/PM asking for it (:
- Tumblr: Konpeito
- Instagram: kailunee

Reason for joining:
I'd like to be able to socialize with other people on PC that enjoy using social media (:

One of the main reasons of using social media is because it's a way to keep in touch with my friends since the majority of them are active on FB and sometimes it's the only way to contact them -.-

PC Username:
-Dakota
Handles:
-Facebook: facebook.com/superdupii (I don't mind you adding me, so long as I know who you are)
-Instagram: superdupi
-Ask.fm: http://ask.fm/Derpoo
-Kik: superdupi
Reason for joining:
-I use social networks extremely often, so I figured I might as well get in on this. ;3 Also joined, I'll admit, to get to connect with people on PC outside of PC.
-Facebook to connect with and talk to people, IG as a method of satisfying my photography addiction/hobby, Ask when I'm really bored and want something interstesting, and Kik as a backup to Facebook Messenger :D

OMFG NEW MEMBERS YAY! Welcome to the club guys! :B

And as for Facebook, I checked mine the other day and it was pretty funny. :] I don't wanna share it because it is too embarrassing especially since most of my pics there were with my ex-crush lol

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's weird, my FB video. The most irrelevant images and posts came up. Pretty bad video, IMO. Might share it later. :P

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Mine also had pictures of my nieces and cousins that I shared...and some random pictures that facebook chose that thought they were....worth sharing. xD It was funny as well. I shared it for the lulz, but other facebook friends of mine had it better (and probably longer) than the one made for me.

Salzorrah

Years
Okay guys, how bout a new topic?

Do you still remember your "social network" life before Facebook and Twitter and the like were a thing? Have you heard of sites that were popular in the olden days?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Pffffft, I used to be a myspace addict before facebook and twitter came around. xD Myspace was the reason why I learned basic HTML, and mastered it like a boss. I was 14 when I signed up, because my best friend (who then became my boyfriend and now he's my ex) encouraged me to sign up. Which is weird because you have to fake your age in order to get an account. You had to be 16 to sign up. I'm not certain when they lowered their age to 13-14 at some point because I was two years in with myspace and I saw members who were 14 or 15.

*sigh* I'll never forget those days. I wish myspace was popular again. It was really fun back then. xD

Salzorrah

Years
I never used myspace tho :[ But before, when I was starting to become an Internet addict, there was a great social network site called Friendster. It was a lot like Facebook but with more customization. It was really fun then but alas, as pessimistic Friendster was, Facebook took over and Friendster swayed in the background until it became a bad gaming website ;~;

Years
MySpace was starting to die out once I got around to social networking. I tried signing up and using it, but everything from the interface to the content was too convoluted and confusing, so I gave up :c There was also Xanga and, like you mentioned, Friendster that was around too. And then Facebook started taking over, and to be honest, it's much better than MySpace ever was.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Wanted to share an old video about social networks.~

Spoiler:

I haven't even heard of Friendster, nor stepped in there. I heard of hi-5 which is another site that I made an account on, but I only went in there once. And then there's myyearbook...in which I forgot what it's called now. It's become a teen dating site now, and pretty stupid too. ;;

Salzorrah

Years
wow
such dead
so deactive
amaze

Do you follow the "in" or what most people tend to do? AKA "Flappy Bird"; "#hashtagnofilter"; etc...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
LMAO Flappy Bird. That was a short lived sensation imo. It was an okay game but it's more frustrating than flinging pissed off birds at pigs. I still have that app on my phone..not going to uninstall it. muahahaha.

I don't usually follow the trends the moment they come out, but when I do find them interesting, I follow them. Sometimes it depends on what's really hot for me or not. #hashtags are kinda old for me now, since I was there when hashtags were first used on twitter and not anywhere else.

Years
And yet people are selling phones with the Flappy Bird game on eBay. Makes me question humanity sometimes XP There are other games that are quite similar to the concept of Flappy Bird, but why is it that this particular one got such recognition in a short amount of time?

Eh, I'm also not the type to follow trends, to be honest. The only one would be Instagram, where I use multiple tags, but not to the point of creating an entire paragraph full of them. Maximum I would probably use 5-7 hashtags, but I see other people putting like 10+; looks ridiculous and convoluted...

Years
Do you follow the "in" or what most people tend to do? AKA "Flappy Bird"; "#hashtagnofilter"; etc...

Nope, not really. But all this Flappy Bird craze did make me curious so I installed it (when it was still available) and tried it out.. was not impressed, hah. Removed the app from my phone fairly quickly. There are so many impersonations on the App Store now of people trying to milk money and it makes me sick. Some of these app developers are just disgusting.

& omg, MySpace ahaha. I never really got into it but I remember making accounts pretending to be Naruto characters because I was 15 and totally immature. xD;

Back