• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack vs. Fan Game

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 4, 2018
I have came up with a new idea for a game,still working on the kinks but its getting there.

The only thing is that I am stuck on whether to do it as a rom hack or as a fan game(made through rpg make).

If I did it by rom hack then i can start straight away without a problem. The only thing is that I believe i would be able to do a better job with it as a fan game,although i couldn't start it yet as a fan game yet as I am waiting for a bigger hard drive for my PC,but saying that i can still write the plans down on paper for the time being.

What are your thoughts?
Rom hack or fan game? and why?

I have done a rough draft of the box art for the game.

Attachments

• Pokemon amber version gba.jpg
    Pokemon amber version gba.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 22
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
The debate between ROM hack and fan game is not something that I feel can objectively be answered. I think both have their merits, and when it comes to features anything you can do in one medium you can do in the other (with only a few exceptions).

What I would recommend to you (and any other beginners) is to try out both and see how they compare. You'll likely find very quickly that one or the other works better for you.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I believe that if you wish to do more non-conventional things, like more than 600 pokémon, some very complex system and many huge maps, you should go with fan games, preferably with Pokémon Essentials Kit, since this kit has TONs of general pokémon system and scripts, even mega evolutions.

On other way, if you wish a more standard game that can be played on mobile emulators and some features that aren't already done with Essentials, like RSE Contests and fully coded Hoenn region, you should stick with rom hacking.

Back