• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ???? Let's Grow Together ????- DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 26, 2019
My recent work. Hope you like it :D
Spoiler:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
oh ho, there's a new chat here! Welp, I have quite a long time of not visit here butt finally im here after long study weeks.

In other hand, I put my recent drawing here, Enjoy!

Spoiler:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Aye, thank you! Decided to **** around with them a bit, and I have to say I'm a lot happier with them.

d1giNxN.png

HpNVcQT.png

kAbIy1x.png

Oh MUCH better! Groudon and Rayquaza were already great, but now all 3 are awesome!
In the first one, I felt like Kyogre was a bit too purple.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 26, 2019
My recent work, hope you like it :D
------------
Beast trio
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Whoa it's been awhile since a post, huh? Well, I guess I'l ask a question then!

To hobby artists, to students, to people wanting to learn art: how do you feel about receiving criticism? Have you receive good feedback, do you care at all for it honestly, and how do you feel receiving feedback (good or bad). I like constructive criticism, and I like giving it out to people who want to improve. I sometimes get anxious when I have critiques in class, but I guess it's because I can see people's expressions before they talk about a piece.​

Years
Focus on how to help the artist overcome their flows, not on pointing out their flaws.
This is what I want to stress on sooooo much when listening or reading feedback. AND I definitely think we should stress this on here too. Help people, don't discourage.
Both scenarios I think are good, I relate to them as well. I like asking both someone who understands art process how my work looks to them and I ask someone with little art background. Just to see if I got my message across or if someone says "Something looks off.." and then I can look at it myself and figure out what's wrong. It's fun to ask my friend, who is a graphic arts major, how my piece look when I'm usually surrounded by illustrators who care a lot about technique. Because he was taught more about communication and ideas, he can tell me if something looks really nice but the concept is boring. It's nice to have different perspectives, I guess is what I'm going for, aha!​

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
I think I mentioned this once in another thread in A&D (or maybe it was for something similar, but I'm remembering it wrong), but I'm no good with receiving criticism. It's very rare that I'll ask for critique, mostly out of anxiety. In fact, I don't remember if I ever have asked for critique in the three and a half years I've practiced any sort of art. Ironically, in most of the critiques I've done, I tend to be very harsh. It's a sign that I need to express what I'm thinking in words more, I think.

However, I feel like most people fail to give criticism here on PC.
*after most recent critique, now feels very self conscious and hides under a rock*

Years
I think I mentioned this once in another thread in A&D (or maybe it was for something similar, but I'm remembering it wrong), but I'm no good with receiving criticism. It's very rare that I'll ask for critique, mostly out of anxiety. In fact, I don't remember if I ever have asked for critique in the three and a half years I've practiced any sort of art. Ironically, in most of the critiques I've done, I tend to be very harsh. It's a sign that I need to express what I'm thinking in words more, I think.

*after most recent critique, now feels very self conscious and hides under a rock*

I think I know what you're talking about - and dontkillmeplease - but in the recent crit I think you did express some good points, but some things could have been explain a little further to help the artist figure out what to work on. Just, a little more suggestion, and there was just some things that didn't need to be said/said nicer. I think you have a good eye and experience, but you want to try and help the artist. Be clear and give some suggestions they can hopefully follow!
Also,ah, as you get to a point you're not satisfied with your work you might feel different about crits. Everyone feels anxious at some point about crits, but I'm sure it will get better for you!​

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years

I think I know what you're talking about - and dontkillmeplease - but in the recent crit I think you did express some good points, but some things could have been explain a little further to help the artist figure out what to work on. Just, a little more suggestion, and there was just some things that didn't need to be said/said nicer. I think you have a good eye and experience, but you want to try and help the artist. Be clear and give some suggestions they can hopefully follow!
Also,ah, as you get to a point you're not satisfied with your work you might feel different about crits. Everyone feels anxious at some point about crits, but I'm sure it will get better for you!​

Ah, figures. I have a bad habit of doing that trying to be so concise that my thoughts often get lost in other thoughts. But yeah, you're totally right, I've been told that by people I need to go more into detail by quite a number of people, not just critiquing.

Another that should be discussed is reciprocity within artists; Someone comments a gallery you comment theirs. This is, I believe, A&D's main issue. Only a certain galleries get all the attention whilst others end up ignored. Even if you're not a fan of graphics, hand drawings or whatever, you can still appreciate everyone's work.

As a general rule of thumb, if someone posts on your gallery, you return the favour.

Ah, that was the thread I was thinking about! Yeah it is sort of a problem. Definitely feeling it's a problem after that one request thread with the Hawlucha signature. Sometimes I feel it's sort of an issue with people not being so familiar with art mediums.

no passive aggressive nope not at all no sarcasm here either

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
There's other ways of addressing artists besides critiquing their work to! Users who are not as familiar with art can always express themselves through the whole "compliment sandwich" technique, without necessarily going in depth into how a flaw can be improved, but providing a new and unique interpretation of a perceived "negative", for lack of a better term. Even posts that aren't the height of artistic feedback are certainly welcome! :)

As for encouraging better posting etiquette, well, I think you know where I stand on that. But! I do think the place to begin is to lead by example and hope others follow suit.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Exactly! As artists sharing our art on a forum not dedicated to the subject, we should be mindful not to expect critiques that are immaculate, but willing to offer critiques of that calibre to our more advanced level artists and anyone looking to improve. It can come down to so many factors why one would not do an in-depth critique, but you're right, I do think it says something to have options and recourses available for those who wish to learn better ways of expressing their opinions to other artists.

What do you guys think of putting together a small, "here's a way to critique (advanced/novice editions etc)" resource? To help new members or remind veterans the real benefits of a proper cirque.

Nina said:
thoughts?

Last edited:
Years
What do you guys think of putting together a small, "here's a way to critique (advanced/novice editions etc)" resource? To help new members or removed veterans the real benefits of a proper cirque.

sweats because I might've talk to Nina about writing one already
I started gathering some resources for examples and stuff. :x I'm open to help though!​

Last edited:

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
What do you guys think of putting together a small, "here's a way to critique (advanced/novice editions etc)" resource? To help new members or remind veterans the real benefits of a proper cirque.

Wait, we didn't have one?

*checks*

I've been lurking too many forums for this. But yeah, that would totally be great.

Years
I'm glad y'all are interested! I definitely want to get the point across we want to help and encourage artists to improve or look at something in a different perspective. I want to make it so that anyone can learn how to analyze art a little more critically no matter what skill level. You can explain or get past the "I think something is wrong but I don't know what" sorta comments. I guess those are my goals atm! More encouragement overall when making posts and to encourage people to discuss and talk. C:​

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Wait, we didn't have one?

*checks*

I've been lurking too many forums for this. But yeah, that would totally be helpful.

In the rules we have more of a "what not to post" than a real, substantial critiquing guide. But considering the efficiency of our resource makers I can promise it will be a lengthy enjoyable read.

But seriously if you guys wanna discuss this and move forward with it, just shoot me or Nina a draft. I trust y'all to get the right information together.

@Johnny damn right we sticky dat shit all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back