• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

blue

gucci
Years
The Pokémon I'd like to see gain a Fairy Type would be:

Togepi and it's evolutions
Clefairy and it's evolutions for obvious reasons
Finneon and Lumineon cause, well idk they seem to fit into that category and I really like these two
Mawile because there's been a lot of speculation around it becoming part Fairy type

Togepi and it's evolutions cause they generally look like fairies... in a way
Finneon and Lumineon cause, well idk they seem to fit into that category and I really like these two
Mawile because there's been a lot of speculation around it becoming part Fairy type

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm a little disappointed that Fairy is SE against Dragon so really that's the only reason for me to dislike it right now. I may not use Fairy types due to this little fact alone. Hope they make Fairy weak to Steel just to keep the Folklore in tact.

Maybe CoroCoro will give us more on the type.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I like the idea. :) I wonder if it'll essentially play out the way I always imagined a "cosmic" type, especially considering some of these age old fairies have moonstone evolutions. The new Eevee thing had some sort of moon attack, I'm all for giving space themed moves to the Fairy type. I mean, how else do you explain that? Aside from cosmic power, I dunno. It sure isn't Psychic and it definitely isn't "Normal".

Years
Manaphy and phione has to be faerie no matter what. Same goes for Shaymin. But what about Jirachi and Celebi, and even Mew? They're all pretty faerie like. Shaymin and Celebi are grass faeries as much as Marill is a water faerie.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I'm personally pretty excited for the new fairy type, it's nice to switch things up after while. Also to everyone who are complaining about there being no light type as an opposite to the dark type, it's probably because the dark type is called "evil" in the Japanese games and their counterpart are the fighting type Pokemon which apparently stands for Justice.

Also I doubt this is all the information about the Fairy type, we'll probably get more information about its weaknesses and strengths later. I'm also willing to bet that those won't be the only Pokemon to have the new fairy type added on, so please stop freaking out about how so and so wasn't stated as a fairy type.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years

Togepi and it's evolutions cause they generally look like fairies... in a way

I'm not sure if Togetic and Togekiss will be receiving Fairy typing, though. As they're already dual-typed. Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, and Marill were only mono-typed.

I agree with some of your choices. These are the ones I think have a high chance of being given Fairy typing.

Igglybuff-Jigglypuff-Wigglytuff
Cleffa-Clefairy-Clefable
Mawile
+
Subbull-Granbull
Happiny-Chansey-Blissey
Whismur-Loudred-Exploud
Audino
Azelf-Mesprit-Uxie

Arceus (Fairy plate)

Others that come to mind are already dual-typed... or I think only have a low chance, like these...

Wynaut-Wobbuffet
Bellossom
Mienfoo-Mienshao
Skitty-Delcatty
Drowzee-Hypno
Chingling-Chimecho

Years
I like that new type, ok it is going to make Dragon types weaker but ok. :\ haha
well, I liked Sylveon that it is a new type and all but the fact that they changed the types of old Pokemon irks me. I don't know why. Maybe because it is going to be awkward in the anime. I mean, how are they going to explain that those old Pokemon Ash has ecountered in the past are now different type? Maybe because of the region? I don't know, I think they should have just designed new Pokemon for that purpose.

Although, Gardevoir is going to be in my team. It is going to be strong in this game lol

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Dragon kind of needed a check. Overall, Im happy with this confirmation and I think it' cool that we are getting a new type, I personally see nothing bad about it. I just hope it isnt really SE to Ice :l

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
But how? they predict it right! even the type name.

I don't think Maril fits to be fairy type.

I predict it will be also super effective against dark.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
But how? they predict it right! even the type name.

I don't think Maril fits to be fairy type.

I predict it will be also super effective against dark.

It didn't one shot Hydreigon, chances are it isn't SE to Dark since it still did massive damage to Salamence and Haxorus.

Also is normal damage to Flying so we can rule out offensive capabilities against Flying.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

This.

In most other things, I'm more or less fine. Fairy, though? They couldn't come up with a better name than fairy!?

Fair enough, there are reasons why it isn't called light type, (which makes more sense to an English eye) but FAIRY? There were still things like lunar, cosmic, magic, arcane, mana, uh... wizard, special... super? Ok, those last few were longshots, but there's still lots more if you think about it. And besides; for me, a fairy was just a BUG/PSYCHIC - don't tell me I'm alone here.

Heck, even pixie type might have been better. Ugh, it's just a really naff name, alright? It probably won't change, anyhow.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
This.

In most other things, I'm more or less fine. Fairy, though? They couldn't come up with a better name than fairy!?

Fair enough, there are reasons why it isn't called light type, (which makes more sense to an English eye) but FAIRY? There were still things like lunar, cosmic, magic, arcane, mana, uh... wizard, special... super? Ok, those last few were longshots, but there's still lots more if you think about it. And besides; for me, a fairy was just a BUG/PSYCHIC - don't tell me I'm alone here.

Heck, even pixie type might have been better. Ugh, it's just a really naff name, alright? It probably won't change, anyhow.

Thing is, when you say all of those names, it just doesn't sound like Pokemon. Fairy at least maintains a bit of the Pokemon "feel."

Eventually people will get used to it, methinks. I personally see no issue with the name. It doesn't roll off the tongue like Light, but Light and Fairy have drastically different implications, so it wouldn't quite make sense to say the two are interchangeable.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I was seriously in shock when this was revealed.

Despite the rumors, I never thought it would happen. All the people who said it would that I silently laughed at, sorry guys. xD

Overall, I am glad we have a new type, and one that can put dragons in check, especially after the hefty amount of them we've received from Gen 4-5, like the legendaries. Fairy magic kills dragons in other fantasy games, so I understand the advantage. :P

I guess this means that the Snubbull and Clefairy families will finally get the typing they deserve?

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
If you asked me a month ago, I would say completely the opposite, but, after reading so much about the new type for so long, I started to get used to the idea of it becoming real.
Still, I had always had a problem with the name, as many of you seem to have as well.
But I've changed my mind completely, now I think that the name "Light" (the one that I would suggest before) doesn't actually suit the concept of this new type.

Also, I don't see the confusion around fairies beating dragon, I think it makes total sense. Just look at Dragon pokemon as some big and intimidating creatures creatures with a lot of brute force. Fairies are like intelligent creatures that focus their strenght in some kind of mystic power, bringing balance to nature, defeating those overpowered brute force oriented creatures, which brute power is completely useless against the fairies' mystic power.

If you still don't like it, don't worry. I'm sure it's just a matter of time for everyone to get used to it. I've been following Pokemon X/Y's thread for the last few months, so I was already familiarized with the Fairy type, and now I'm actually love it. And believe me, I really didn't like it in the beggining.

thedhp

TheDavidPearson
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 21, 2016
For all of those that said that fairies are weak or feminine read up on mythology. Traditionally they were first seen as ghosts and demons. Isn't only been since Tinkerbell that they're cute.

Just think about fairytales, Google some of Grimm's Fairytales. They'll scare you half to death.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
Well i like it. Reminds me of fairy tail, since dragon slayers kill dragons. Maybe they got it from there. lol

This needed to be quoted for everyone angry or disappointed in the name. This is where they got the idea for the name, or it's highly presumed. Fairy-type refers to a fairytale, and in fairytales, it's usually the dragon's that are slain.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
YES!, I'm so happy the dragons are nerfed. You cant see me but I'm doing a dance right now.

Back