• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] a messy set of short stories and poems

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
hi im ivan. i like to write short stories and poetry. ive been writing for... many, many years. i used to write pokemon and other fandom fanfiction but i've mostly moved on from writing fics. i focus instead on original work now.

ive been to a high school for the arts and studied creative writing for four years. i do know most things, but i'm pretty modest about my work. half the time i dont think its that great or up to standard. i get frustrated with my work often, especially now, so its gotten harder and harder for me to write as of late and the only thing ive been dishing out is poetry. nevertheless, i'm willing to share some of my work with you guys. i'll be posting some short stories first and then move on to my poetry. the short stories i will be sharing are about a year old but i still think they hold up.

speaking of which, let's cut to the chase. here's my first short story i will be sharing.

[tw: graphic depictions of violence/murder and mentions of mental illness and homophobia/hate crimes]

Spoiler:

Vragon

Hi, don't know if your looking for feeback and considering this is as you say "about a year old" feel free to ignore the parts you've passed.

I liked your story, but there were two things that caught my eye.

1) When you would repeat the basic sentence for an echoes effect, it was done in a way that made it somewhat annoying
example:
The hole inside Zach?s skull the hole inside Zach?s skull the hole inside Zach?s skull.
This got on my nerves slightly. It mainly is that they are repeating in this manner and don't have any separation.
doing it with periods or moving to the next line for each would have been much better to me.

2) Changing person views mid paragraph
This section as my basis example:
In front of Ethan, he could have sworn he saw Zach standing there, the collar of his button up shirt popped. Blood was running down his entire body, dripping like escaping rain out of his skull. He wanted to take all that scarlet and put it back inside Zach. There was a hole in his brain. There shouldn?t have been a hole in his brain. Yes. No. Not really, I don?t know. I, uh, I can?t stop thinking about everything from the past everything from the past I can?t stop seeing Zach Gabe I can?t stop seeing Zach I don?t know what to do I don?t know how to stop it God please make it stop I can?t do this anymore I feel like I need to do something I?m going to check on the front door

Notice how at the beginning you refer to Ethan as "he" yet after the midway point it transitions to first person's "I". A splitting of the paragraph of adjusting accordingly would be a better flow option.

Again I know that this is more of an older work, but I hope that what I have supplied can help in the future or at least some passerby person if not the original intender.

Now on to what I liked!
Imagery = awesome
style = attention grasping with a hint of sympathetic eye reading
Ethan = poor guy
History = Dark.....I like it!
Echo = critic above aside I liked the mood it set.

I also enjoyed the overall writing as a concept of dealing with loss. I have a nack for enjoying characters with flaws or dealing with loss. This character "Ethan" is a good example of a horrified person and somewhat guilty. The intro about his job and the things that happen there, which then tie into his guilt about Zach.

Good story, enjoyable, and while short and somewhat lacking in ending to me Probably because I like longer works with end resolve this was rather a well filled piece.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
So, I noticed something similar to Vragon in terms of sentence structure and word choice.

I think one solution is separating paragraphs to emphasize parts which you think need to stand out more. Right now it feels very manic and quickly paced, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It feels like the main character is slowly loosing control and going into a manic state.

But what if we slowed that down? When a person is manic it might seem like their mind is moving at a thousand miles an hour, but they're really moving, in their head, the same as everyone else should be. Instead we're just slow to them. Try breaking up the sentences more. Less repetition of phrases. Slow it down. Make it torture, slow and simple, like the reader is trapped as well. Don't forget to use italics for inner thoughts to separate them from actual occurrences.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think you did well to capture the mental state there. I do agree that a touch more polish with separating paragraphs and formatting for repetition could help, but I certainly liked how you did that. Probably no need for the spoiler as well even if you wanted it hidden due to content - the warning you gave was ample enough.

Good description too - maybe a bit too much for my personal taste but certainly didn't get in the way of the story. How you did't explain all the backstory with Zach was also well managed.

Do share more stuff!

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
thank you guys so much for the comments and critiques! yes, the short story i posted previously was about a year old and the next one i'll be posting is around the same age. sorry for not being around, i'm in the process of moving at the moment so my activity has been spotty. ethan from the last story has ocd and as someone who suffers from it as well i did my best to portray how i felt sometimes. that was my purpose with the descriptions and style of the writing. i can see the complications of it however.

here's another short story.
[tw: dystopian themes, homophobia/hate crimes, self-harm/suicide]
Spoiler:

Back