Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon needs! Here you can discuss the metagame, receive help on your team, ask for battles, participate in events, and much more!
Quick Links: PC's Battle Server

Ad Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 27th, 2018 (5:22 PM).
Dragon's Avatar
Dragon Dragon is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Viridian City
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 10,171
So, if you're playing competitive, or if you're even playing against different challenges in-game, is there a particular pokemon that you don't particularly like to battle against? What is it about that pokemon that you don't like about it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 28th, 2018 (10:52 AM).
GlitchWarrior's Avatar
GlitchWarrior GlitchWarrior is offline
A Rookie with Heart
     
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Location: Nebraska
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Rash
    Posts: 17
    I particularly detest Snorlax, Walrein and Wailord. They spams Curse, use Rest, Chesto out of it, and then start spamming Body Slam/Ice Ball/Waterfall. And I'm helpless against these three. My brother isn't quite fond of Gliscor himself, and I'm sure many a player has been on the recieving end of the popular Ferrothorn lead. Although that last one is ENTIRELY a lead...
    Reply With Quote
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 28th, 2018 (3:00 PM).
    gimmepie's Avatar
    gimmepie gimmepie is offline
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Australia
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 19,009
    I psyducking hate battling stall mon. In particular I find Chansey and Clefable awful to battle against.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old January 10th, 2019 (4:26 PM).
    Team Embrace's Avatar
    Team Embrace Team Embrace is offline
    Team Embrace Boss
       
      Join Date: Jan 2019
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 15
      Magearna. It has one of the best typings in the game ,that plus soul heart AND good stats make it too good in my experience.
      Reply With Quote
        #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 11th, 2019 (9:19 AM). Edited January 11th, 2019 by Levea.
      Levea's Avatar
      Levea Levea is offline
       
      Join Date: Nov 2017
      Location: Tampa, Florida
      Age: 21
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 132
      Mega Medicham would have to be my poison, that thing has almost no switch ins unless the mon in question is sableye or a bulky psychic type with reliable recovery. Everything else that can come in has to play a 50/50 game with High Jump Kick, Ice punch, or Zen Headbutt.
      __________________

      Reply With Quote
        #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 13th, 2019 (4:02 AM).
      Galukxy's Avatar
      Galukxy Galukxy is offline
       
      Join Date: Nov 2009
      Location: Location not valid.
      Age: 25
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 2,292
      Def Eelektross. It being an electric type, I assumed I'd be able to KO it with a ground move
      but
      NOPE. It has the ability of levitate. Making it even harder to wipe out.
      __________________

      "I’m an angel keeping watch over the city at night...I’m the symbol this town needs."

      ? ? ?

      Reply With Quote
        #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 14th, 2019 (4:23 PM).
      gimmepie's Avatar
      gimmepie gimmepie is offline
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Location: Australia
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 19,009
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Galukxy View Post
      Def Eelektross. It being an electric type, I assumed I'd be able to KO it with a ground move
      but
      NOPE. It has the ability of levitate. Making it even harder to wipe out.
      To be fair, it's also pretty mediocre by the standards of the current meta.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:05 AM).
      FootyWizard's Avatar
      FootyWizard FootyWizard is offline
         
        Join Date: Jan 2019
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 5
        sigilyph is terrible to battle if i dont take it out soon enough. toxapex sucks as well.
        Reply With Quote
          #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:45 PM).
        Anti's Avatar
        Anti Anti is offline
        return of the king
         
        Join Date: Jul 2007
        Location: Kobe's Reality
        Gender: Other
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 10,817
        hmm,

        in dpp it was rotom-a and salamence. rotom-a (all app forms were elec/ghost that gen and basically interchangeable) was a top 5 pokemon that gen and it was suuuuuper hard to play against the defensive sets because they could threaten everything with tbolt and wisp--they were not passive at all. all of my struggles to break stall that gen usually boiled down to struggling to beat that pokemon consistently. as for salamence, i still don't know what to make of latias, but salamence was stupid busted and its ban was totally deserved. dd and mixed were both broken on their own imo, so guessing between them and its gazillion other viable sets (who could forget the aldaron bulky ddmence fad, early dp specsmence, or even cbmence) was cancer. actually very similar to...

        xy was charizard because the mega-x/y guessing was not ideal (even though team structure gave it away 90% of the time), but more importantly because x have the versatility to go dd sweep or will o wisp made it very frustrating to play against. i was always weak to that thing :/

        haven't played sun/moon but zygarde seemed dumb b/c of glare. if i did play, i suspect i would hate toxapex because regenerator is a dumb ability and is the defensive side of the game's version of the more obvious offensive power creep coming in since gen 4/5. rewards sloppy play.

        also, all gens: trappers. dumbest and most broken mechanic in the competitive game, and after playing a decade i think my only real hot take is magnet pull, arena trap, and shadow tag should be banned from basically everything. totally uncompetitive and while i respect something like magneton/zone acting as a sort of inherent type balance to steel and see why my opinion with that would be minority, things like advance dugtrio and xy gothitelle (before its oras ban) are/were always stupid. no fun to play against pokemon who prevent switching in a game whose primary skill element at a competitive level comes from switching. ugh.
        __________________
        Why are the beautiful sick and divided like myself?
        Reply With Quote
          #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:35 PM).
        45_Kody 45_Kody is offline
           
          Join Date: Jun 2018
          Location: US, Illinois
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Lonely
          Posts: 6
          Any Pokemon that can be a viable stall set:

          Numerous of these are out there, I've never played the games of new gens but from PokeShowdown I know that Toxapex is a viable stallmon, as is gengar, sableye mega, etc.
          If it can learn toxic, recover, protect, and willowisp all in one, then I hate going against it.
          Protect and Recover for obvious reasons, and then toxic cant hit steel types, but willowisp can, toxic cant hit poison types, but willowisp can.

          It's horrible to fight one of these things given how bulky they are.
          The biggest stallmons I hate: Toxapex, Wobbuffet with Destiny Bond, and Gengar
          __________________
          https://drive.google.com/open?id=18_QdYZL6uInKeAa2jAWFwbT6yjKzwzgb
          IPS file to my HILARIOUS Emerald ROM Hack: Kody's Emerald
          Reply With Quote
            #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:05 AM).
          gimmepie's Avatar
          gimmepie gimmepie is offline
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Location: Australia
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 19,009
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Anti View Post
          Haven't played sun/moon but zygarde seemed dumb b/c of glare. if i did play, i suspect i would hate toxapex because regenerator is a dumb ability and is the defensive side of the game's version of the more obvious offensive power creep coming in since gen 4/5. rewards sloppy play.
          What's weird, for me anyway, is that I very rarely have actually come across Glare on Zygarde. The set I'm used to seeing is Thousand Arrows/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance/Substitute or something like that. Personally, I didn't feel a ban was necessary but I have to admit that Thousand Arrows is crazy muk. Not that either Glare or Thousand Arrows on Zygarde will be much of an issue now that 50% is banned.

          Quote:
          also, all gens: trappers. dumbest and most broken mechanic in the competitive game, and after playing a decade i think my only real hot take is magnet pull, arena trap, and shadow tag should be banned from basically everything. totally uncompetitive and while i respect something like magneton/zone acting as a sort of inherent type balance to steel and see why my opinion with that would be minority, things like advance dugtrio and xy gothitelle (before its oras ban) are/were always stupid. no fun to play against pokemon who prevent switching in a game whose primary skill element at a competitive level comes from switching. ugh.
          Can't say I disagree. Although I think Magnezone and it's pre-evos are okay. What are your thoughts on Pursuit then?

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by 45_Kody View Post
          Any Pokemon that can be a viable stall set:

          Numerous of these are out there, I've never played the games of new gens but from PokeShowdown I know that Toxapex is a viable stallmon, as is gengar, sableye mega, etc.
          If it can learn toxic, recover, protect, and willowisp all in one, then I hate going against it.
          Protect and Recover for obvious reasons, and then toxic cant hit steel types, but willowisp can, toxic cant hit poison types, but willowisp can.

          It's horrible to fight one of these things given how bulky they are.
          The biggest stallmons I hate: Toxapex, Wobbuffet with Destiny Bond, and Gengar
          Few mon run two different status moves because they eat up too many move slots and leave you vulnerable to taunt unless you're Sableye. I'm with you on Stall mons being a pain in the ass to face though.

          I do have to say though, Wobb isn't a stall mon really and anyone running a stall Gengar deserves every loss they get. Gengar is way too frail to effectively stall.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:14 AM).
          L'Belle's Avatar
          L'Belle L'Belle is offline
          Sexy sexy sexy
           
          Join Date: Apr 2016
          Location: The netherlands
          Age: 17
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 2,066
          Any Pokémon that knows an 1hko move. It always seems to hit me.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:16 PM).
          45_Kody 45_Kody is offline
             
            Join Date: Jun 2018
            Location: US, Illinois
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 6
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
            What's weird, for me anyway, is that I very rarely have actually come across Glare on Zygarde. The set I'm used to seeing is Thousand Arrows/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance/Substitute or something like that. Personally, I didn't feel a ban was necessary but I have to admit that Thousand Arrows is crazy muk. Not that either Glare or Thousand Arrows on Zygarde will be much of an issue now that 50% is banned.



            Can't say I disagree. Although I think Magnezone and it's pre-evos are okay. What are your thoughts on Pursuit then?



            Few mon run two different status moves because they eat up too many move slots and leave you vulnerable to taunt unless you're Sableye. I'm with you on Stall mons being a pain in the ass to face though.

            I do have to say though, Wobb isn't a stall mon really and anyone running a stall Gengar deserves every loss they get. Gengar is way too frail to effectively stall.
            Gengar is effective at stalling if it has destiny bond, because then they really dont want to hit you
            __________________
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=18_QdYZL6uInKeAa2jAWFwbT6yjKzwzgb
            IPS file to my HILARIOUS Emerald ROM Hack: Kody's Emerald
            Reply With Quote
              #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:26 PM).
            Levea's Avatar
            Levea Levea is offline
             
            Join Date: Nov 2017
            Location: Tampa, Florida
            Age: 21
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 132
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by 45_Kody View Post
            Gengar is effective at stalling if it has destiny bond, because then they really dont want to hit you
            Gengar is too frail to be a stall mon. destiny bond cannot be spammed anymore and it gets removed from the battlefield by anything (scarf or not) that is faster than it. The destiny bond scenario is more useful at trading mons than it is for mind games. Stalling also is not a matter of "i do not want to hit you" it is more of a "I want to wait you out" strategy.
            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:20 AM).
            Zankew's Avatar
            Zankew Zankew is offline
            (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
               
              Join Date: Dec 2018
              Location: Inside you
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Lonely
              Posts: 85
              I dont like fighting against blissy. After taking damage, it uses softboiled and recovers health.
              Then again after taking damage, uses softboiled and this continues for about a million hours and finally when it's softboiled PP becomes 0 then i see it using 'wish'...
              __________________

              Name: Swellow
              Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
              Reply With Quote
                #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:55 AM).
              ZeoStar's Avatar
              ZeoStar ZeoStar is online now
               
              Join Date: Oct 2017
              Location: dream world
              Age: 18
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Mild
              Posts: 2,452
              Celesteela. It can be interesting, but most of the time they run Leech Seed + Protect.
              __________________
              Favorite Pokemon
              https://i.imgur.com/3Dd21oD.png
              Reply With Quote
                #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:17 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by strangerhypno.
              strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2017
                Posts: 2,824
                When I played competitive I disliked fighting against stall teams, lost against one guy who literally just started using them and figuring out how they work, maybe I sucked back then but who knows, felt like Ash losing against newbies. PP stalled me (and bored me) to death and whittled me down. And I dislike fighting most generic Smugon shills. But it is what it is. No hard feelings.
                Reply With Quote
                  #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 6 Days Ago (10:48 PM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Dark Azelf.
                Dark Azelf's Avatar
                Dark Azelf Dark Azelf is offline
                deus vult, saracen!
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2007
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Impish
                  Posts: 7,161
                  BASED ON THIS THREAD LOOKS LIKE ELF STALL NEEDS TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ANOTHER CRUSADE TO RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE AKA THE LADDER!

                  Tbh i find defoggers to be annoying. Mostly cos it removes the hazards game from the competitive meta where as in previous gens rapid spin vs ghost was more skill based. :\
                  Reply With Quote
                    #19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 5 Days Ago (8:56 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by .Gamer.
                  .Gamer's Avatar
                  .Gamer .Gamer is offline
                  »»───knee─►
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2009
                  Location: NSFW
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 1,525
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
                  BASED ON THIS THREAD LOOKS LIKE ELF STALL NEEDS TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ANOTHER CRUSADE TO RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE AKA THE LADDER!

                  Tbh i find defoggers to be annoying. Mostly cos it removes the hazards game from the competitive meta where as in previous gens rapid spin vs ghost was more skill based. :\
                  Amen. Stall is hard to pull off in SM (skipped ORAS and XY). I always hated Jirachi just because of Serene Grace + Iron Head (or Zen Headbutt). Since I don't play OU anymore and just play LC, I'd have to say Abra. It's strong and can't be OHKO'd cause of Magic Guard + Sash.

                  Gen 1 - Rhydon. It always seemed to get a Sub up against me.

                  Gen 2 - Misdreavus.

                  Gen 3 + 4 - Jirachi because it's the devil.

                  Also Anti you're wrong. Salamence deserves to be freed. Remember how prominent Breloom became once it was banned?
                  __________________
                  [SIZE="1"]pair Smogon profile
                  Reply With Quote
                    #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 5 Days Ago (4:34 PM).
                  Anti's Avatar
                  Anti Anti is offline
                  return of the king
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2007
                  Location: Kobe's Reality
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Adamant
                  Posts: 10,817
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by .Gamer View Post
                  Also Anti you're wrong. Salamence deserves to be freed. Remember how prominent Breloom became once it was banned?
                  COUNTERPOINT: Remember how prominent Salamence was before it was banned?
                  __________________
                  Why are the beautiful sick and divided like myself?
                  Reply With Quote
                  Reply

                  Quick Reply

                  Join the conversation!

                  Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                  Create a PokéCommunity Account
                  Ad Content
                  Thread Tools

                  Posting Rules
                  You may not post new threads
                  You may not post replies
                  You may not post attachments
                  You may not edit your posts

                  BB code is On
                  Smilies are On
                  [IMG] code is On
                  HTML code is Off

                  Forum Jump


                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:22 PM.