• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dumb things you did

Miningsilver

Dungeon Explorer
Years
Mistakes when playing Pokemon? Yep, I've had that. When I first played Pokemon, I played SoulSilver.

I thought failed the game because I was skipping text and didn't know the rival's name. Chose Chikorita and named it Sonic because I was obsessed with the series. Ended up using only the Chikorita, and turned him into a HM slave. How did I manage to reach Lance? I don't think I even fought Red.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I've had tons but the first thing I can think of is in one of my cancelled Black 2 nuzruns I made my Psyduck die thanks to a misclick he could have survived otherwise. It was sad really.

Years
I remember playing Pokemon Red when I was younger and I thought that Nuggets were a type of snack food (y'know, chicken nuggets), so I kept trying to wake Snorlax by trying to feed him
Nuggets. It was a little Muk up that I always look back and laugh at.

I also remember playing through Emerald and accidentally releasing my Groudon. Fun times.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
Not really a dumb thing I did, but in Gen II my friend wouldn't register his bike to select because the shortcut was abbreviated as "SEL" and he was like "why would you want to sell your bike?" and I was too mean to tell him the actual purpose of it, lol.

Years
Not the stupidest thing ever, but back when I first played Pokemon Yellow, I didn't realize that the Master Ball was a 100% catch rate, so I tried to slowly whittle away Mewtwo's health and then put it to sleep before trying to catch it. Had no idea that I didn't have to waste all that time for nothing.

The only other recent one that I can think of is for Black and White, where you're given 5 Poke Balls near the start of the game, and Bianca and Cheren say they want to have a contest to see who could catch the most Pokemon. I made sure that I caught all 5, and at the end, they just comment how cool it was that you got 5 and they got 2, and nothing else. Was disappointed I wasted my time and Poke Balls all on Route 1 for nothing.

Years
I wish I would've never sold my older Pokemon games, including the spin-offs. That was the dumbest thing I ever did, especially since older Pokemon games and older spinoffs are ridiculously difficult to obtain these days.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
The most silly thing I remember doing in a Pokémon game was running away from Zapdos in LeafGreen, only to save my game immediately after. Like, what on earth was I thinking? Haha.

Also, I spent at least 10 years of my life believing that Slowbro evolves into Slowking. And as if that wasn't enough, I thought Mega Pikachu would be a great idea because, you know... "well hey, Slowbro is a middle-staged Pokémon too, so why not?" Let's just say... I was in total shock when I eventually found out the truth. xD

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
Getting scared because of the poison effect on the screen and thinking that my game could be failing.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Always forgetting to buy repels, and that ends up biting me in the butt when I head through a route or dungeon, I can feel the headache from encountering a thousand tentacools or zubats/golbats or rhyhorns in Gen 2 victory road

Years
used a master ball on phanpy because it kept fleeing

spending 30 years quick attacking brock's onix to death while i spammed potions since i didn't know what other types/attacks would work

am sure there are so many more but my memory.......;_;

Years
I also made horrible sets as a tot. I doubt anyone else here ever did anything as crazy as teach Mewtwo mega punch. I also wanted him to know confusion and disable because of how op the anime made the moves look. Slowbro uses disable and Charizard is immobilized unable to attack on any turn!

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Getting scared because of the poison effect on the screen and thinking that my game could be failing.

I've been there, in FR. I didn't even know why that was actually happening to be honest, but I do remember the bug catcher saying something like "don't scare the bugs away!" and those weird flower tiles near him that only appear in forests? I thought they were the "bugs" that he was talking about. I remember walking on them, and next thing I knew, the screen started vibrating. Of course, it was from poison, but I thought it was because of the bugs. After looking in the instruction booklet, I soon learned it was because his Weedle had poisoned my Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Mashing the A button when catching Pokemon. xD
I was told mashing the button would increase the success rate.

Years
Last thing I can remember doing was using Pulverizing Pancake on the 1st turn on Mimikyu instead of healing my almost beaten Snorlax... Twice during the whole game.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I wish I would've never sold my older Pokemon games, including the spin-offs. That was the dumbest thing I ever did, especially since older Pokemon games and older spinoffs are ridiculously difficult to obtain these days.

THIS. I've spent so long trying to collect the old gen games I sold off. I've been replaying Black recently and wondering why I ever sold it.

In game...I used the master ball on a Relicanth that I never actually used in battle.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
For many years I thought Rock type was immune to electric attacks. It wasn't until seventh gen I realised it was actually ok to hit a Tyranitar with Thunderbolt.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
For so damn long, I had horrible teams. When I first started playing, I had a team of dragons that were weak to basically everything. Then, I took my trash team to competitive battling and got rekt. For the next few weeks, I was so pissed, I just convinced myself that by leveling up my pokemon to lvl.100 would solve the problem. I was so wrong. When I first learned about EV and IV's and movesets, etc. I thought it was fake. I am embarrassed to say that this wasn't too long ago. Btu for the past few years (5 I think) I realized that I was just stupid.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Keep on picking the Fire starter, completely focus on it, and try to get it to Level 100.

Happened with Ruby and White.

Also, be an all-out offense guy 100% of the time.

Back