Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (2:41 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by knuxyl.

Hey Mateo, my old account got hacked or something, I can't get in it ([email protected]), but I have been working on sprites and such and I can get you gen 1-5 back sprites but the problem is they cut off not just on the bottom but on the left as well. In the original games the back sprites were lined up with the enemy pokemon's name, but yours is moved over to the right. If it was lined up, the gen 1-5 back sprites wouldn't look so bad.

Example (This back sprite is not at all what I'm advertising, this was just a test)

Here is a finalized diamond/pearl/plt back sprite for magmar and i believe a fire red scyther

Finalized Rayquaza

I would like to make a randomizer like Sanqui's randomizer but having the sprites where they are now will make them look bad once converted. You could just tell me what file and what value I need to modify to change it for my own fork of your source.

Btw, have you taken a break from working on this? I think you and ShantyTown should get together and extend the pokedex to use 2 bytes so we can have up to 65k pokemon.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 2 Weeks Ago (3:35 AM).
    Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
      Honestly the best solution for you would be to increase the backsprites to 56x56 to fill the whole area instead of 48x48 (default Gen 2 size) like they are now. If I remember, that would be a simple enough change, just 1 line to edit. I can look it up at some point, not sure when I'll have the chance.

As for "taking a break" from this, not exactly. I haven't been pushing any commits lately to avoid conflicts with all the merges Danny has been working on. And in the meantime, I've been planning, prototyping, researching, and generally getting things ready so I can jump back in once he sends his Pull Requests and we make sure it's all squared away.

And since ShantyTown's code is freely available, expand-dex has been an announced upcoming feature for a while now, it's just had to wait until v2 was over because it would of course break saves in all sorts of ways.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
      Old 2 Weeks Ago (3:39 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
        Honestly the best solution for you would be to increase the backsprites to 56x56 to fill the whole area instead of 48x48 (default Gen 2 size) like they are now. If I remember, that would be a simple enough change, just 1 line to edit. I can look it up at some point, not sure when I'll have the chance.

As for "taking a break" from this, not exactly. I haven't been pushing any commits lately to avoid conflicts with all the merges Danny has been working on. And in the meantime, I've been planning, prototyping, researching, and generally getting things ready so I can jump back in once he sends his Pull Requests and we make sure it's all squared away.

And since ShantyTown's code is freely available, expand-dex has been an announced upcoming feature for a while now, it's just had to wait until v2 was over because it would of course break saves in all sorts of ways.
        Are you saying the rom will already accept 56x56? That makes things a lot better. And that is a ton of great news, I'm excited. Thanks again for all your hard work, I just compared your Red with the original and it is extremely impressive.

Btw, I recommend changing the startup messages asking about traded pokemon and experience to be in the options menu instead.

I just tried a 56x56 back sprite and it came out all kinds of messed up, seems it is set to 48x48. I'll have a look around the source and see if I can change to 56x56
        Old 2 Weeks Ago (3:49 AM).
        Johto Region Champion

Quote:
          Originally Posted by knuxyl View Post
          Are you saying the rom will already accept 56x56? That makes things a lot better. And that is a ton of great news, I'm excited. Thanks again for all your hard work, I just compared your Red with the original and it is extremely impressive.

Btw, I recommend changing the startup messages asking about traded pokemon and experience to be in the options menu instead.

I just tried a 56x56 back sprite and it came out all kinds of messed up, seems it is set to 48x48. I'll have a look around the source and see if I can change to 56x56
          Backsprites are all assumed to be the same size. That's why I need to look up the line for you to edit so they are 56x56.

And traded behavior will not be changeable on the fly the way things like Text speed and those options are, but I'm going to add a "New Game Options" menu at the start the way Rangi did in Polished Crystal once I get around to it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:21 AM).

Quote:
            Backsprites are all assumed to be the same size. That's why I need to look up the line for you to edit so they are 56x56.

And traded behavior will not be changeable on the fly the way things like Text speed and those options are, but I'm going to add a "New Game Options" menu at the start the way Rangi did in Polished Crystal once I get around to it.
            Yeah anyway to get it out of the intro would be best.

If you find that line, would you make the change permanent in your build?
            Old 2 Weeks Ago (6:00 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Mateo.
            Johto Region Champion

Quote:
              Yeah anyway to get it out of the intro would be best.

If you find that line, would you make the change permanent in your build?
              I wasn't currently planning to use 56x56 backsprites myself, since the ones I already have and the ones I make are all 48x48. That's why I was just going to show you how to do it. I could do it, but it currently would just waste space in the rom by making me make the sprites "bigger" by adding whitespace when they fit inside 48x48 already.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:38 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by PkMn Trainer Murasaki.

Hi , I'm In Cerulean Now , Lost The Rival Battle And Will Do The Gym After Bill.
                I Realized I Never Said It But , I'm Playing The Hard Patch.
                Here's A List Of All The Pokemon In My PC:
                A Pikachu Lvl. 6 That Would Go To The Daycare , And After He Makes 2 Pichus ,I'll Trade Him For Togepi.
                Spearfear The Spearow Lvl. 4.
                ThatsRight The Meowth Lvl. 6.
                Nidogodess The Nidoran♀ Lvl 7.
                Yegdip The Pidgey Lvl 4 , When I Can , I'll Rename Her Pidgeblast And Add Her To My Team.
                Raty The Rattata Lvl 3.
                Butterbae The Butterfree Lvl 10.
                Beedriller The Beedrill Lvl 10.
                Primechimp The Mankey Lvl 13.
                Arby The Ekans Lvl 10.
                Jigglytuff The Jigglypuff Lvl 7.
                Sandyman The Sandshrew Lvl 9.
                Geo The Geodude Lvl 10.

My Team Is:
                Gyarakarp The Golden Magikarp , ♂ , Lvl 17.
                Nidogod The Nidorino , Lvl 24.
                The Wondertraded Charmander (Which , By The Way , Is ♂) Has Evolved Into Charmeleon , Lvl 25.
                And , Last , But Not Least , My Starter , Bulby The Ivysaur , ♂ , Lvl 24.
                Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:11 PM).

Well you could make the back sprites 56x56 and still use your 48x48, just center the 48 when processing into blp/pic.

I'm going to post all the front and back sprites freely on here when I'm done with them if you want to use them. I have sprites for all gen1-7/mega/alola pokemon, they just need to be touched up. A lot of people complain about proportions though so you'll prob have to pick and choose. Are you on windows or linux?
                  Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:50 PM).
                  Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                    Well you could make the back sprites 56x56 and still use your 48x48, just center the 48 when processing into blp/pic.

I'm going to post all the front and back sprites freely on here when I'm done with them if you want to use them. I have sprites for all gen1-7/mega/alola pokemon, they just need to be touched up. A lot of people complain about proportions though so you'll prob have to pick and choose. Are you on windows or linux?
                    Well, actually, I could just take the 56x56 versions from the expand-dex repo, since ShantyTown already made his 56x56 due to mistakenly thinking that was the size they were in vanilla Gen 2. And honestly, having 56x56 would give a lot more breathing room with the newer Pokemon as I get around to adding them. Wouldn't have to lose as much detail when you shrink them down to fit in some cases.

EDIT: Oops, missed your second question. I'm on Windows these days. I compile using cygwin.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:12 PM).

Quote:
                      Well, actually, I could just take the 56x56 versions from the expand-dex repo, since ShantyTown already made his 56x56 due to mistakenly thinking that was the size they were in vanilla Gen 2. And honestly, having 56x56 would give a lot more breathing room with the newer Pokemon as I get around to adding them. Wouldn't have to lose as much detail when you shrink them down to fit in some cases.

EDIT: Oops, missed your second question. I'm on Windows these days. I compile using cygwin.
                      The 56x56 sprites? I can easily batch convert all your sprites to 56x56 with them being centered.
                      I'm not sure how you would do it on Windows, but if you install imagemagick on Linux you could just do this
                      Spoiler:

#!/bin/bash
                      cd monback
                      for f in *.png
                      do
                      convert "${f}" -background white -gravity south -extent 56x56 -flatten -remap ../laprasb.png "${f}"
                      done

I went ahead and did it and remapped them to the original laprasb.png palette just in case it changed during resize.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g48901tejtvtbe8/monback.zip?dl=0

This does give an error on building currently though, it says

./rgblink: Unable to load fixed ROMX section into bank $0B
                      Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:45 PM).
                      Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                        The 56x56 sprites? I can easily batch convert all your sprites to 56x56 with them being centered.
                        I'm not sure how you would do it on Windows, but if you install imagemagick on Linux you could just do this
                        Spoiler:

#!/bin/bash
                        cd monback
                        for f in *.png
                        do
                        convert "${f}" -background white -gravity south -extent 56x56 -flatten -remap ../laprasb.png "${f}"
                        done

I went ahead and did it and remapped them to the original laprasb.png palette just in case it changed during resize.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g48901tejtvtbe8/monback.zip?dl=0

This does give an error on building currently though, it says

./rgblink: Unable to load fixed ROMX section into bank $0B
                        Yeah, making them larger makes them take more space in the rom, which is why I wasn't originally planning to do it unless I ended up needing to.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:33 AM).

Quote:
                          Yeah, making them larger makes them take more space in the rom, which is why I wasn't originally planning to do it unless I ended up needing to.
                          Do you know what the growth is referring to in data/baseStats/*.asm ?

I looked up pokemon's red's growth rates and they do not match yours, neither do the current.

For example, there was 4 growth rates in pokemon red
                          If Growth Rate starts at 0 being the slowest, Arbok should have a value of 2.
                          Even going by current values, Arbok should still be a 2, but looking at your source, he is labeled as a 0.
                          Even in the official pokered disassembly he is a 0.

So what does it actually refer to? I'm making a script to generate baseStats for every single pokemon but I cannot seem to find out what growth rate is actually referring to. Thanks!
                          Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:53 AM).
                          Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                            Do you know what the growth is referring to in data/baseStats/*.asm ?

I looked up pokemon's red's growth rates and they do not match yours, neither do the current.

For example, there was 4 growth rates in pokemon red
                            If Growth Rate starts at 0 being the slowest, Arbok should have a value of 2.
                            Even going by current values, Arbok should still be a 2, but looking at your source, he is labeled as a 0.
                            Even in the official pokered disassembly he is a 0.

So what does it actually refer to? I'm making a script to generate baseStats for every single pokemon but I cannot seem to find out what growth rate is actually referring to. Thanks!
                            It does indeed refer to the actual growth rate, you're just working off incomplete information. It is made confusing because there are unused growth rates in the code, and they are not sorted the way one would assume. You can look here to see what I mean.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:56 AM).

Quote:
                              It does indeed refer to the actual growth rate, you're just working off incomplete information. It is made confusing because there are unused growth rates in the code, and they are not sorted the way one would assume. You can look here to see what I mean.
                              perfect, that's exactly what I needed, thanks
                              Old 2 Weeks Ago (6:27 AM).

Quote:
                                It does.
                                I have one more question, do you know why in baseStats the section for tmlearn sometimes has 2 values, sometimes 3, and sometimes 1?
                                Old 2 Weeks Ago (6:52 PM).
                                Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                                  I have one more question, do you know why in baseStats the section for tmlearn sometimes has 2 values, sometimes 3, and sometimes 1?
                                  Because it is a flag array, and those are the TM numbers that they can learn. Since it is actually stored as 1 bit per TM (the macro just makes it easier to read) each line represents 8 TMs. They would be broken up as:

Quote:
                                  1 -8
                                  9 -16
                                  17 - 24
                                  25 - 32
                                  33 - 40
                                  41 - 48
                                  49 - 56
                                  The HMs just pick up where the TMs leave off. So HM01 is treated as being TM 51 in this sense. If a Pokemon can't learn any of the TMs on that line, you just put 0 there instead of leaving it blank.

Also, Move Tutors work the same way, it's just a smaller array because there are fewer move tutors than TMs. And of course, the Move Tutor data in Red++ replaces the old "moves known at level 1" section from vanilla Red, and those moves are just stored with the rest of the evolution/move data.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the base stats structure will be changing even more as I continue to work on v3.0, since "Special" is going to be split into two stats, Held Items will become a thing, etc.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (8:31 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by knuxyl.

Quote:
                                    Because it is a flag array, and those are the TM numbers that they can learn. Since it is actually stored as 1 bit per TM (the macro just makes it easier to read) each line represents 8 TMs. They would be broken up as:

The HMs just pick up where the TMs leave off. So HM01 is treated as being TM 51 in this sense. If a Pokemon can't learn any of the TMs on that line, you just put 0 there instead of leaving it blank.

Also, Move Tutors work the same way, it's just a smaller array because there are fewer move tutors than TMs. And of course, the Move Tutor data in Red++ replaces the old "moves known at level 1" section from vanilla Red, and those moves are just stored with the rest of the evolution/move data.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the base stats structure will be changing even more as I continue to work on v3.0, since "Special" is going to be split into two stats, Held Items will become a thing, etc.
                                    I figured you would be splitting the specials so I included those in the file as well, right under special but commented out. Changing the format would be very easy, the hard part is just extracting the data from HTML files. I have the current special being the 2 specials added together then divided in half and rounded correctly.

I just finished coding the moves starting at level 0. Now all 802 have their level 0 moves with no new gen moves. I compared the list against all original moves and only used duplicates (ones that existed in the original). If the pokemon doesn't know a gen 1 move at 0, it just puts tackle.

What this script does is downloads the latest information for each pokemon from pokemondb.net, extracts the information, and formats it properly into a .asm file with no user input needed.

Thanks for the info on the TMs, that helps.

For the TMs, I could make a variable file and have an array for each pokemon to include the TMs already formatted. This is probably the only part that will require user input. But you wouldn't need to edit each file manually, just the variable file.

Here's how it does now ( forum doesn't allow tabs)
                                    Spoiler:
                                    MonBaseStats::
                                    MarshadowBaseStats::
                                    dw DEX_MARSHADOW ; pokedex id
                                    db 90 ; base hp
                                    db 125 ; base attack
                                    db 80 ; base defense
                                    db 125 ; base speed
                                    db 90 ; special
                                    ;db 90 ; base special attack
                                    ;db 90 ; base special defense
                                    ;db 600 ; base total
                                    ;db 100 ; base average
                                    db FIGHTING ; species type 1
                                    db GHOST ; species type 2
                                    db 3 ; catch rate
                                    db 120 ; base exp yield
                                    INCBIN "pic/bmon/marshadow.pic",0,1 ; ??, sprite dimensions
                                    dw MarshadowPicFront
                                    dw MarshadowPicBack
                                    ; attacks known at level 0
                                    db COUNTER ; 0 for none
                                    db FIRE PUNCH ; 0 for none
                                    db ICE PUNCH ; 0 for none
                                    db 0 ; 0 for none
                                    db 5 ; growth rate
                                    ; learnset
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    tmlearn
                                    db Bank(MarshadowPicFront) ; padding
                                    MonBaseStatsEnd::

I would upload the files but I have yet to work with the problem pokemon names like farfetch'd (farfetchd) and too long pkmn names. I don't know where to find a list of problem names so it might take a little bit.
                                    Old 1 Week Ago (4:16 AM).

Nature: Careful
                                      Quote:
                                      Does anybody have any suggestions for this TM List? I didn't include any useless TMs that nobody is going to use so it kinda makes the TM list OP. I did 2 Fairy, Steel, Dark, and Bug, and the rest have 3
                                      Some of those moves don't exist in Red++ (e.g. Calm Mind) (yet?). You've also changed some long-standing TM numbers around (e.g. Shadow Ball), and left out common ones (e.g. Ice Beam). This table shows TM numbers through the generations for reference.
                                      Old 1 Week Ago (5:11 AM).

Quote:
                                        I tried doing a mixture of all gens. I debated about Ice Beam, but decided not to go with it for the other 2.
                                        Well, you do have Thunderbolt and Flamethrower as TMs, so leaving out the third counterpart feels odd. Mixing the generations is a good choice; you have a much better move selection than default RBY or GSC. And of course even with the 50-TM limit, there are still move tutors.
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (5:30 AM).
                                        Genwunner and proud of it

Nature: Hardy
                                          I was hoping to eventually have Misty hand out Scald in my own hack.
                                          Old 1 Week Ago (11:42 AM).

Quote:
                                            sabrina gives shadow claw, not sure if this is ok, might give her a ghost in finished project (ash did leave her his haunter in the series)
                                            Calm Mind would also be appropriate. Or Reflect or Light Screen, if they were TMs.
                                            Old 1 Week Ago (1:40 PM).
                                            Johto Region Champion

I would prefer if this moved to wall posts instead of this thread. Since this is after all discussing a different project and it's already confused people.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:32 AM).

Quote:
                                                I would prefer if this moved to wall posts instead of this thread. Since this is after all discussing a different project and it's already confused people.
                                                What are wall posts?
                                                and i deleted the posts
                                                Old 1 Week Ago (2:00 AM).
                                                Johto Region Champion

Location: Willow Creek, Sims 4
                                                  Quote:
                                                  What are wall posts?
                                                  and i deleted the posts
                                                  Visitor Messages on each other's profiles.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links