• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: NDS Pokemon Color Palette Randomizer

Years
Would it be possible to add a function to this such as having a Pokemon's family use the exact same coloring + one changed color? For example, Poliwag family blue as normal, Politoed changed from Green to Blue, and all Poli's with a red swirl instead of a black one?

I'm loving this tool so far, using it to create a Pokedex of adversely typed Pokemon.

I've now added a similar feature called "Change one color" in the right family column.
Example: The Bulbasaur family's body gets yellow but the bulb and the flower stay the same.
If the color that is about to be replaced isn't present in all members of the family a random color of that member will be replaced instead.

Also another feature: "Randomize by type (main color)" replaces the main color of a Pokemon with that of the corresponding new type.
Example: A water-typed Charmander gets a blueish body and flame and keeps it's yellow belly. If it's secondary type is grass it will get a green belly.

I've made this feature because people have complained that the "Color by type" method looks too monochromatic.
Maybe I will come up with a better solution one day but I am afraid that it will look too confusing if I change too much. It's already difficult enough to guess the type as it is.

Update:
Made the secondary type visible in "Randomize by type (main color)" mode. The primary Pokemon color will get colored and if the Pokemon has a secondary type another, different color will be changed, too.

Last edited:
Years
Apparently, this doesn't work on french Platinum. It crashes before the end of the operation.

Fixed the program for French Platinum by EXiMiUS. Haven't tried it with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer, though, only with the vanilla ROM.

Improved compatibility is the next thing on my to-do-list becauase adjusting everything for every language seperately kind of sucks.

Update:

I have uploaded a new version of the program that tries to react more flexibly than the last one, which relied on fixed offset values.

I need to do more testing, though, because I've made great changes, therefore reporting any compatibility bugs would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 15, 2022
Hey how does the color bias option work? I've opened it a few times but I just can't get the hang of it

Years
Firstly you choose a randomization type then click the color bias button.

Choose a color, click OK and hit the Randomize button.
After that the color you chose will have a 1/4 chance of appearing on a Pokemon in the game you randomized.

It is really just a small addition, not a full randomization type.

I have added a new type randomization that is called "Type Related Colors" and adds a few neighbour colors to the possible hues that can be used, which results in greater color variety.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 14, 2017
agreed, can this get fixed please? I love this randomizer but I needed to redownload today and its gone :'(

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
Hello,

I want to share a program I originally made for myself because I couldn't find anything similar. I thought that other people might like it, too, and if so then that's great.

My program is called the "NDS Palette Randomizer" and does exactly what the name implies; it can randomize all Pokemon color palettes in all NDS Pokemon games (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2).

I have build in different randomization modes sorted by most to least random:

• Completely Random - randomizes every hue of the palette seperately and assigns it a new brightness and saturation value as well.

• Randomize Hue - Leaves saturation and brightness as it is and just shifts the hue. It is possible to get a Pokemon with almost the original set of colors or something very different.

• Slightly Vary Original Colors - Shifts the hue, saturation, brightness of the palette slightly to create a subtle change. Here and there a more changed look is thrown in.

• Color by Type - Assigns a predetermined type color to the Pokemon to make types easier to identify. Useful for beginners or when types are changed with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer.

• Color by Evolution Family - The whole evolution family will use a single palette and therefor look similar.

• Color bias - You can increase the likeliness of a specific color to appear. If you choose yellow you will get more yellow Pokemon.

• Change one Color - The Pokemon stays the same exept for one randomly chosen color. You can end up with a Charizard with violet wings, a Pikachu with blue cheeks and a Bulbasaur with a red bulb.

I have included a manual in the actual program itself. Click on the "help" button in order to view instructions.

I hope that you will enjoy my work as much as I do.

Download

You can download the newest version HERE.

It should be compatible with all languages and NDS game versions. If you are experiencing problems, please notify me.

Currently working on...

... an editor to modify the colors of your trainer avatar.
The colors are applied to the overworld and in-battle sprite. All you have to do is choose a few colors.

It already works for Black and White, currently working on B/W2.
I'd really like to use this, but I'm getting an array out of bounds error whenever I try it.
"Index was outside the bounds of the array."
I first tried it with Pokemon White (U) version, and then Pokemon Soul Silver (U) version.

I'm looking to randomize completely by family, is there perhaps an older version of this randomizer that works?

Thanks! :)

74dd3283h74d77dzg.jpg

Last edited:
Years
I have corrected the error and reuploaded the program.
The error occured because I am usually testing my program on HeartGold and Black and forgot to include the other versions.

I have included the beta version of the trainer avatar color editor for black/white (2) since I had to reupload everything anyway.

So what do you think?
Do you like this feature? Would you like me to randomize the whole overworld, like making trees violet and turning water green? Would that be of interest to any of you?

What are other features that you are missing?

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
I have corrected the error and reuploaded the program.
The error occured because I am usually testing my program on HeartGold and Black and forgot to include the other versions.

I have included the beta version of the trainer avatar color editor for black/white (2) since I had to reupload everything anyway.

So what do you think?
Do you like this feature? Would you like me to randomize the whole overworld, like making trees violet and turning water green? Would that be of interest to any of you?

What are other features that you are missing?
Omf that was super fast and this is fantastic! I love it sooo much!

I'm currently playing Universal randomized Pokemon White (U) version. The wild Pokemon, trainer Pokemon, field items, move power, move PP, Pokemon base stats, starter Pokemon, and static encounters are all random. And now thanks to this the colours of Pokemon by family are all completely random!And trainer Pokemon levels are increased by 20%, so, this randomizer will work on a randomized version of the game, not just vanilla copies.

Thank you so so much for sharing! And to answer your question, if you are interested randomizing the overworld sprites of everything, not just trainers, do it! Otherwise, it isn't an issue. This project was shared because you created it for your enjoyment, and you should keep it that way. Don't push yourself to add features you don't care about, but if you added it, I would enjoy it at least.

pt8mmclnw8hph1uzg.jpg
yxy7i4v1121f156zg.jpg

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
Do shiny Pokemon change color, too? Or are they the same color that the normal Pokemon was changed to? If they are different, then I'd love to try shiny hunting in this...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Hi great tool i love it it's bringing me tons of moments of joy to the game however there is one problem...

pokemon such as shellos burmy shaymin giratina who have alternate forms do not get their palettes randomized whatsoever, they stay with their original colours.

please tell me how i can fix this and thank u.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 15, 2022
Hey I was wondering if randomize by family would work for when the evolution lines are also random, like if a line that went Meowth -> Persian was randomized to Meowth -> Arbok, would it be possible to get the meowth and arbok to look the same or would the meowth just look similar to the persian even if the evolution lines are randomized?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
It doesn't seem to correctly recognize randomized types in Platinum, tried it in both Spanish and US versions. It does however work perfectly in US SoulSilver, so I don't think it's a problem with the UPR. I'm using UPR 1.7.2 (the latest release) and the latest version of the Palette randomizer.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 27, 2023
Hey! Made an account just for this tool, actually. I'm currently working on a Fusion Generator for BW2 and I was wondering about a couple things as to how you programmed your tool, if you've got time, shoot me a message!

Unicorny43

Avid Fangamer
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 18, 2021
Hey! I love the idea and execution of this tool. However, when I use it on my randomized SoulSilver ROM, it skips over certain Pokemon entirely, even after two rounds of randomization. (I used single-color.) I'd love to know if there's a way to fix this. Thanks. :7:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 2, 2020
How does this work, i do the randomizer, it says it completes then nothing is changed

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 6, 2019
Hello, I wasn't sure how to reach out since this page hasn't been updated in a while, so I thought I'd comment. It seems that a few of us are having trouble with the randomizer. For me, I am trying to use a black 2 rom. but It only suceeds in changing the trainer color, not the pokemon.I've tried it on two different roms as well.

Back