• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
everytime I make a script with XSE and I compile it then try it out on VBA it won't work. The sprite would just do the script but doesn't talk. ......help

mind posting your script in the Script Help thread so we can help you?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
@0m3GA ARS3NAL:

There's one catch: some parameters are halfwords (usually to allow a variable to be used instead of a constant value). For example, the Person ID parameter used with the 'applymovement' command is actually a halfword, even though you never see a Person event with an ID higher than 0xFF.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Does using a callasm routine to store a value(and do only that) faster/take less space than using a writebytetooffset scripting command?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Does using a callasm routine to store a value(and do only that) faster/take less space than using a writebytetooffset scripting command?

It will take up more space but it will be faster. It's probably better to use 'writebytetooffset' unless you're doing some heavy work with data or you have to deal with larger pieces of data (i.e., more than 8-bit).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
I have tried to use Cry Pointer Repointer to give my fakemon (well, not exactly fakemon, missingno) zapdos's cry. However, when I 'get' zapdos's 'pointer' and copy it and then insert it into the fakemon's 'pointer box' and then click 'repoint', then test the game, the fakemon still has unown's cry.

How do I get this to work?

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
Hey, I recently got told by someone that when inserting new tiles I should use the first tile set and first palette to avoid messing up the map.
But the first palette has no brown colors at all, and my tiles are only brown. Why are there brown caves in the first tile set then? When I download this tile set, the caves aren't even there.

1st Gen FTW

We only need 151.
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2011
...I asked this a while back and it still hasn't been answered.

Can you add more battle themes to Fire Red? (Like add a rival theme while keeping all of the other battle themes?)

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
...I asked this a while back and it still hasn't been answered.

Can you add more battle themes to Fire Red? (Like add a rival theme while keeping all of the other battle themes?)

You can add new songs by re-pointing your song table in hex coding. But this is rather complicated, I would stick to replacing existing songs.

You can replace any song you don't need (a non-battle song) with a new rival battle theme, and then in A-Trainer I'm pretty sure you can change which song plays for which trainer.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Hey, I recently got told by someone that when inserting new tiles I should use the first tile set and first palette to avoid messing up the map.
But the first palette has no brown colors at all, and my tiles are only brown. Why are there brown caves in the first tile set then? When I download this tile set, the caves aren't even there.
can export them on either tileset, and the colors won't be messed up so long as you export in the right palette.

1st Gen FTW

We only need 151.
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2011
You can add new songs by re-pointing your song table in hex coding. But this is rather complicated, I would stick to replacing existing songs.

You can replace any song you don't need (a non-battle song) with a new rival battle theme, and then in A-Trainer I'm pretty sure you can change which song plays for which trainer.

I don't think you can actually change their song in A-Trainer. :\

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2015
Mew as a Starter?

I searched for this but couldn't find it...

I wanted to change the starters in Emerald to include a mew and a few others, but when I use a program (A-Starter.exe) to edit my ROM it lets me select mew and then goes to Mewtwo as if Mew isn't and option.

Any way for me to make Mew a starter? I really am confused by this...

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2011
This is probably a silly question, but--is there a way to merge the encounter data for HG/SS so that all Pokemon were available on a single game (i.e. no need to trade for version exclusives)?

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
youtube.com/watch?v=4eGJbbY6pPo

I'm trying to make the national dex obtainable towards the beginning of the game so you can use every pokemon early on or else they won't evolve. I think my poket script isn't working. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in the video? I have the script itself and a link to a tutorial i was following. Maybe my script is bad? Or prehaps the tutorial is no good?

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
How can i reverse a song from a game using Sappy?
I want some custom crazy songs, but i have no idea how to do it.

Well i kno the mother series(earthbound) has some crazy songs. as for custom ones, i cant help u with that =/

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
youtube.com/watch?v=4eGJbbY6pPo

I'm trying to make the national dex obtainable towards the beginning of the game so you can use every pokemon early on or else they won't evolve. I think my poket script isn't working. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in the video? I have the script itself and a link to a tutorial i was following. Maybe my script is bad? Or prehaps the tutorial is no good?

First, the script your using looks like it was designed for PokeSav and not XSE. XSE doesn't use the command "jump" as far as I know. Also, you're not using dynamics. Fixes in bold:

Code:
[b]#dynamic 0x800000[/b]

[b]#org @start[/b]
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
[b]if 0x1 goto @800050[/b]
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
[b]msgbox @800100 msg_keepopen
closeonkeypress[/b]
waitfanfare
release
end

[b]#org @800050
msgbox @800070 msg_keepopen
closeonkeypress[/b]
release
end

[b]#org @800070[/b]
= Like your new POKéDEX?

[b]#org @800100[/b]
= Your POKéDEX was upgraded!

To compile, go to TOOLS in XSE, and click BATCH COMPILER. Locate your script on your computer that you saved, select it and click COMPILE. Make sure SHOW LOG is checked near the bottom. If nothing is wrong with the script, a box will pop up telling you the offsets of your script have been compiled to, but most important is the @start offset.

It will say something like @start ... 0x800000

That means @start was compiled to 0x800000 offset in your game, and you use that as your beginning offset for the script. Hope this helps. :)

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I don't think you can actually change their song in A-Trainer. :\

You can't change the SONG. You need Sappy for that.

But you can change which song plays.

So you're trying to make a rival theme in FireRed, right?

In FR, the normal trainer battle theme plays when you battle the rival.

If you replace.. Let's say, you don't need the Route 4 music. So you replace that music with your new Rival battle using Sappy.

Now in A-Trainer, you can change, under the rival, from the trainer battle to the new song you just inserted.

And of course, you need to change the song that plays on Route 4 as well. I'm not sure how this is done, which is why I suggest you replace a song which you won't be using in the hack.

And again, if you want to keep all the FireRed songs and add in a brand new one- You'll need to re-point your song table using Hex.

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2011
Text Editing Help!!!!

Okay so I'm working on this new hack of Leaf Green, I added in new starter pokemon. I wanna edit the text where professor Oak says So you pick "POKEMON" to the new Pokemon. Lets say instead of Bulbasaur I wanted something new to go there.

Any help?

1st Gen FTW

We only need 151.
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2011
You can't change the SONG. You need Sappy for that.

But you can change which song plays.

So you're trying to make a rival theme in FireRed, right?

In FR, the normal trainer battle theme plays when you battle the rival.

If you replace.. Let's say, you don't need the Route 4 music. So you replace that music with your new Rival battle using Sappy.

Now in A-Trainer, you can change, under the rival, from the trainer battle to the new song you just inserted.

And of course, you need to change the song that plays on Route 4 as well. I'm not sure how this is done, which is why I suggest you replace a song which you won't be using in the hack.

And again, if you want to keep all the FireRed songs and add in a brand new one- You'll need to re-point your song table using Hex.

Sorry, I should have said that better before.
I meant that I don't think you can change which song plays in A-Trainer, just the theme that plays before the battle. And I do know how to change songs like Route 4, I just didn't know how to make that song play in a battle.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Okay so I'm working on this new hack of Leaf Green, I added in new starter pokemon. I wanna edit the text where professor Oak says So you pick "POKEMON" to the new Pokemon. Lets say instead of Bulbasaur I wanted something new to go there.

Any help?
Use XSE. Too many people don't learn the wonders it can do once associated with A-Map.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
First, the script your using looks like it was designed for PokeSav and not XSE. XSE doesn't use the command "jump" as far as I know. Also, you're not using dynamics. Fixes in bold:

Code:
[B]#dynamic 0x800000[/B]

[B]#org @start[/B]
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
[B]if 0x1 goto @800050[/B]
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
[B]msgbox @800100 msg_keepopen
closeonkeypress[/B]
waitfanfare
release
end

[B]#org @800050
msgbox @800070 msg_keepopen
closeonkeypress[/B]
release
end

[B]#org @800070[/B]
= Like your new POKéDEX?

[B]#org @800100[/B]
= Your POKéDEX was upgraded!
To compile, go to TOOLS in XSE, and click BATCH COMPILER. Locate your script on your computer that you saved, select it and click COMPILE. Make sure SHOW LOG is checked near the bottom. If nothing is wrong with the script, a box will pop up telling you the offsets of your script have been compiled to, but most important is the @start offset.

It will say something like @start ... 0x800000

That means @start was compiled to 0x800000 offset in your game, and you use that as your beginning offset for the script. Hope this helps. :)

I did it but it the game freezes when I talk to the person containing the dex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back