• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could add a 4th starter to one or more games, what would it be?

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Henlo, I've moved your thread over to Pokemon Gaming Central since it's talking about the games specifically and not the franchise as a whole.
As for me, I'm not too sure what to add since I tend to just breed and trade over the Pokemon in game and use it for my runs. I guess there's Eevee since it has a lot of options for evolution but not entirely sure what game tho.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
Aron for Generation 3. Liked that generation's trio the least. Evolves twice. Comes in a bit later than Ralts. Brings a type outside Water/Fire/Grass without clear Dragon superiority.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Maybe Elekid for HGSS but it wouldn't have worked in GSC since Electivire wasn't a thing then ahah. I always loved Elekid though, it's so good to use and gets a better moveset than most actual starters imo d:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I: Nidoran (either)
II: Mareep
III: Can't think of anything that would fit.
IV: Starly or Shinx
V: Lillipup
VI: Flabébé
VII: Grubbin
VIII: Rookidee

They're easy to raise, have reasonable stats for the early game, evolve more or less at logical levels for a starter, and their final evos have BST similar to that of starters.

Years
I'd say ralts for gen 3 but you can already get one really early in the game so thats fine. Tbh i'm more bothered by how stale fire starter types were for the longest time with "fire/fighting" 3 gens in a row. Like come on really?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2021
Beldum would be a pretty bad starter; check out its level-up moveset. :P

I feel like Electric types are a safe bet. Electric feels like one of the "traditional" elements and they don't have OP resistances in the early game. Pikachu in RBY (Though it should learn Double Kick/Iron Tail for obvious reasons), Mareep in GSC, Electrike in RSE, Shinx in DPPl, and so on.

Years
Since all 3 final starter evolutions of Gen 6 are kinda meh I would add a fourth starter, most likely Goomy because I like that evolution line a lot.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Beldum would be a pretty bad starter; check out its level-up moveset. :P

Yeah, Take Down only until level 20 :). Well, at least it evolves faster than most pseudo legendaries, like look at Deino, Goomy and Dreepy, they won't even reach their first evolution by the time you would normally already have a fully evolved starter.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
I kind of think a Normal type starter would make sense, for people who don't want to commit to a particular type early (like kid me). Something like Lillipup in gen 5 maybe? I'm blanking on its counterparts for other gens though, and I'm not entirely sure that evo line has the punch to fit in a starter group.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Definitely an electric type, since Gen 1 had 4 starters and one of them being Pikachu. Easy choices would be mareep and shinx for their respective gens.

Years
Maybe baby pokemon like cleffa

Definitely an electric type, since Gen 1 had 4 starters and one of them being Pikachu. Easy choices would be mareep and shinx for their respective gens.

True that electric sounds like a viable option

Last edited by a moderator:
Back