• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Pretty damn sure X/Y is referring to the 3D projection.
xyz-1.gif

Since it's also Pokemon's [disappointing] entry to 3D, it's only logical.

Chromosomes and DNA are probably an afterthought.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I still think it's too early to make judgment calls on calling it the Genetic Generation or something like that, and even if it's true it's kinda weird because it sounds way fancier than any other generation. Gen V is only the Monochrome Generation though because of B2W2, if we expect remakes this gen then we won't really have a nickname for it, you know?

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I like the name Alphabetical Gen myself. Even if another game isn't called Z. We literally know nothing about this apparently disappointing (????????) game so far so any detailed names might not fit!

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Honestly, I think if they wanted to go for an axis-based name, they would've done something that couldn't be mistaken for the Gonosomes, they could have went with something like J, I, and K. As you may know, those three are the directional unit-vectors of the three spacial axes.

Also, there's a small helix shaped figure in the Japanese logos, I doubt that's a coincidence ;p

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
You know, its funny; I sort of wondered why they went to name these new main games to letters instead of their usual colors / gems. Aside from the obvious reasons.

At first, they seemed pretty strange to me; I mean, X and Y? They kiiind of looked like place holder names at first, but, as speculation progressed, there's been talk of chromosomes, to the 3-D axis, to just.. letters of the alphabet.

I dunno it's quite a change for me! I guess it was their first step to their own 'evolution' eh?

Well, I'm still reaaaally leaning towards the whole biology theme here, but anything can be possible from this point~

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Honestly, I think if they wanted to go for an axis-based name, they would've done something that couldn't be mistaken for the Gonosomes, they could have went with something like J, I, and K. As you may know, those three are the directional unit-vectors of the three spacial axes.

Also, there's a small helix shaped figure in the Japanese logos, I doubt that's a coincidence ;p

Except X, Y, and Z are far more well-known. Whatever theme they go for, I'm sure it'll become obvious once we have more information about the games, so it doesn't really matter that X could be a chromosome or a directional axis.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I like the name Alphabetical Gen myself. Even if another game isn't called Z. We literally know nothing about this apparently disappointing (????????) game so far so any detailed names might not fit!
I'm assuming you're referring to my post, so I'm gonna say I'm talking about the transition to 3D is what's disappointing. Pokemon X/Y from the trailer looks ugly, to be frank, and the 3D already seems out-dated. From a system that gave us technically impressive games, it's hard to be thrilled by this. Not to mention the fact that most of the Pokemon models are from previous generations (more than half are from the N64/GCN...), and they're pretty poor. I've stressed this enough before, so I don't see any reason to bring it up again. I could care less about the gameplay if they don't remove random encounters. (and they didn't from some evidence in the trailer, so I'm gonna end up getting Dragon Quest 7 instead, anyway.)

But there's no reason to, right? Maybe they're hitting two birds with one stones intentionally? My theory is that they based the games on the 3D axis and thought it'd be a good idea to add in genetics for reasons we've yet to see.

Echidna

Years
Except X, Y, and Z are far more well-known. Whatever theme they go for, I'm sure it'll become obvious once we have more information about the games, so it doesn't really matter that X could be a chromosome or a directional axis.

Yeah, true that (:

Though personally I hope their intention is genetics, because they'll have much more to base an interesting story-line on as opposed to dimensional axes as reference to their new 3D direction u_u

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah the only thing with dimensions is that it would be much harder to make a plot around it without dipping into the abstract, which Pokemon doesn't seem to be too into doing. Although they could be going for a tangential connection kind of like Black and White, where issues aren't 2D, they have different dimensions, etc. Maybe the storyline branches!!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
This might be weird, but they could also try sort of a mathematical-esque plot. See, when it comes to variables, X is independent to Y, so Y is dependent to X, right? So, what if in some way... Yveltal is dependent on Xerneas? Or... maybe vice versa? I mean, it can be sort of Ying-Yang; light can't live without shadow, and vice versa. So, I dunno, they can conflict, but need each other?

Well, yeah, I haven't really gone into the whole.. 3-D affair; maybe as you guys said, it can do with dimensions; maaaaaybe like some sort of cross-dimensional -plot- that corresponds with B2W2?

Oh; that reminds me - remember when you were at the post game of B2W2, and you've used the memory link while you came back to Hilda's/Hilbert's hometown? Their mother mentions something about, "have you found your friend yet?" while thinking that you were Hilda/Hilbert. Soooo there could be a little continuity there!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm assuming you're referring to my post, so I'm gonna say I'm talking about the transition to 3D is what's disappointing. Pokemon X/Y from the trailer looks ugly, to be frank, and the 3D already seems out-dated. From a system that gave us technically impressive games, it's hard to be thrilled by this. Not to mention the fact that most of the Pokemon models are from previous generations (more than half are from the N64/GCN...), and they're pretty poor. I've stressed this enough before, so I don't see any reason to bring it up again. I could care less about the gameplay if they don't remove random encounters. (and they didn't from some evidence in the trailer, so I'm gonna end up getting Dragon Quest 7 instead, anyway.)

But there's no reason to, right? Maybe they're hitting two birds with one stones intentionally? My theory is that they based the games on the 3D axis and thought it'd be a good idea to add in genetics for reasons we've yet to see.

Oh where to start. How can you already been disappointed. We've seen 0 seconds of real game play, and it's still 10 whole months until release. It will get better, it's not like it's the end product. That is made clear in the Direct video. How can you say half the models are from the N64 when we've seen around abouts 10 Pokemon? Sorry, you can't say half of more that 700 Pokemon are from previous generations. Sorry, I just think your post is out of place and it's too early to be making such negative assumptions, but that's just my opinion.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I thought that too until:
pkmn-xy-jpn-logo-61414_555x330.jpg

I saw the rainbow double helix in the logo.
All we know is that it's the stroke in the " ン " katakana looking like a double helix. It looks strange to me either way.

Oh where to start. How can you already been disappointed. We've seen 0 seconds of real game play, and it's still 10 whole months until release. It will get better, it's not like it's the end product. That is made clear in the Direct video. How can you say half the models are from the N64 when we've seen around abouts 10 Pokemon? Sorry, you can't say half of more that 700 Pokemon are from previous generations. Sorry, I just think your post is out of place and it's too early to be making such negative assumptions, but that's just my opinion.
NOT my problem they release a trailer with the game in that horrible state and in that awful frame rate. And if out of those 10 Pokemon are older gen Pokemon and they got their old models then what's not to say the others won't?
Also, there were grass patches, random encounter is more than likely still in.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Yeah, game footage graphics from the trailer aren't final; they're still in development. Still, the concern is pretty sound imo; I'm hoping that they will use the 3Ds's graphic capabilities to their maximum, or near maximum, which the 3Ds has proven to have some good quality results, like with Zelda Ocarina of time, and a few other games.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

They didn't get their old models, and yes, hopefuly the graphics can reach somewhere near MK7 and OoT. Also, the computer screen never gives you the whole story to the graphics of a 3DS game.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I don't mind the graphics, I'm hoping they stay cel shaded, I mean gamefreak did state before that they want you to fight the artwork, cel shading's close as your gonna get to artwork with 3d models. And they don't have to be near OOT in Quality, they just have to be good quality.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
Just one theory on the XYZ.
http://m.kotaku.com/5975396/this-nerdy-explanation-for-pokmon-xy-might-blow-your-mind?popular=true

Echidna

Years

Ah, now that makes a lot of sense actually ._.
So they kinda mixed Genetics (With the double helix shape in the logos and the X&Y reference to the Gonosomes), Developmental Biology (With the above explanation), and possibly a spacial axes system with the names, possibly referring to the new 3-Dimensional aspect of the games.

So basically 3 birdies with one stone o.o

Maybe the names weren't desperate after all :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back