• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Imagining people as their avatars

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
I wouldn't say I imagine them AS their avatar, however If I haven't seen a picture of them I will usually associate thier avatar or a person in their sig as them.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I think the signature is more representative of someone on the forums. Some people on the forums actually dedicate time into their signature, making it look the best they can, and it's honestly what they like. An avatar is just a square picture that is sometimes just taken away from the banner itself.

I don't notice the avatar very much.. if I'm about to read a post from someone, or if I already have and thought it was interesting, I'll just look at the username. XD;;

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
Years
lol I hope no-one does this to me, I don't particularly want to be imagined as a Drifloon XD I mean, Drifloon is cute, but I don't really want to be one o.O

Anyway, I wouldn't say I imagine people to literally look like their avatars (lmao), but I associate their avatar with them, if you get what I mean. Not like... actually imagining they are their avatar or anything :laugh:

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
If there's nothing else to go by, I generally will see some kind of heavy association with a person and their avatar.

On my avatar, I'm not actually a girl who plays a violin, but feel free to see me as such.

Zion042

BattleLegend
Years
I think the avatars say something about themselves to because your right they chose it so its them actually just like mine i love Tyranitars which is sorta like a dragon and its a dark type.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
Yes! I do actually imagine people as their avatar some of the time!
Usually if it's a theme they've used for a long time or something memorable.
Someone has told me before that they imagine me as 2k-tan from a theme I used a lot awhile back. Yeah, I view people as their avatar sometimes :x

picture-4.png

2k-tan~

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 31, 2013
Of course I'm a Toxicroak! Come on, what else would I be?

But, yeah, I do that too. Haha. It's weird when their avatar is a character from something I recognize, because then I'll start associating that character's face with them. And it's also strange when a person doesn't really have any kind of animate object in their avatar, because then I just imagine them as some sort of... shapeless essence or something? Perhaps some sort of vague human figure with facial details I can't make out?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Chibi, I think I imagine you as 2k-tan. XD

I associate people with their signatures, not their avatars. So the people who change their signatures and avatars every day? They bother me a lot because I have nothing concrete to associate them with. (Especially since they're usually the types to change their name every chance they get, too.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • MA
  • Seen Jul 26, 2008
I don't really..jusge people based on whatever theme/avy they're using. I mean, yeah, it gives you a general idea of what their interests are, but it doesn't really..say anything about the person's attitude ._.

I prefer to see what they're like through what they say..or type, or whatever.

..Like right now, having realized that signatures are totally un-Metal, I'm not using one anymore, so no one can judge me by what it is <_<

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Yeah, I'm totally a loli character cosplaying as a Mantyke :P

But yeah, I sometimes tend to form an idea about what a person looks like concerning their avatar, though it's more like I just associate them with it.

.:LemonTea:.

omg. heart attack. o.o
Years
I odn't really imagine people as their avatars, but I when I see someone's avatar I'll be like "yea...that's Bob since his avatar is like that." When someone gets a new avatar along with a new name, I will have trouble recognizing them at all. An avatar is just another way for me to recognize who the person is.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I don't really imagine people as their avatar. I just think that a person's avatar suits their personality ... maybe. =D

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 5, 2011
I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.
???

I thought thats what you were supposed to do:P
(thats what I do anyways)

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
No, I don't imagine them as their avy's because I have a Cheese Avy. Although my friends call me Cheese doesn't mean that I look like Cheese. The person a post ago has a Kabutops as their Avy, they cannot look like a Kabutops. XD Also Clade: I think Avy's are supposed to suit people's personality too. My personality is just like Cheese. XD

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
Years
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--
If you have a person as your avatar (like 雀), that's how I will visualize you.
Unless...y'know...you're a girl with a guy as your avatar...

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Long story short--

I feel exactly the same way. I also tend to generate possible personalities based on someone's avatar, username and sig. I can spot a noob from a mile away!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
Interesting thread, and actually I do it sometimes...

I'm not exactly sure on the factors and everything, but some when I person doesnt post a picture in the "post you thread" then I just go by what ever is out there, but in other ties I know a person so well by their posts that I can somewhat imagine what they look like.

So yeah sort of case by case. Though yes, sometimes I go by avatar.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--

It shows elegance and genius, which is exactly what you should be thinking when you see my avatar.

Back