• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon World as if it was based on Japan - comments welcome

Years
I didn't realise you couldn't revive your own threads! That's accepted in most of the forums I usually post in. Sorry about that.

Spoiler:

This is my map of the Pokémon World as if it really was Japan and the surrounding areas. I've been tweaking it for a long time, and am planning on adding in even more regions, like those from the TCG and Mystery Dungeon. What do you think to the placement of the current regions, and where do you think the new ones should go?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I agree with the first four main regions in relation to the areas in Japan. But Unova in China? It was already confirmed too be based in New York or at least Castelia City. And the Hoenn & Unova map seems over too me as the East and West portions of your mape in Hoenn seem to be flip flopped. And desert area is off in Unova, unless you are trying to illustrate those as caves, which still there is no desert area in South Central Unova according to the map.

Years
I agree with the first four main regions in relation to the areas in Japan. But Unova in China? It was already confirmed too be based in New York or at least Castelia City.

Yeah, the whole area is based on the New York metropolitan area, but I have placed it roughly where Vladivostok is, which shares the geography of the central strip and two pieces of land on either side. This isn't for any reason other than it seemed wasteful to include North America just to have it on there, but I also didn't want it omitted completely. This is a compromise placement so that it's on the same image, but still far away from the others. I hope that makes sense.

And the Hoenn & Unova map seems over too me as the East and West portions of your mape in Hoenn seem to be flip flopped.

I don't really understand what you mean here. Unova is exactly as it is in BW, altered only to fit the style, and Hoenn is rotated 90 degrees to fit its real-world counterpart of Kyushu. I haven't flipped anything as far as I know!

And desert area is off in Unova, unless you are trying to illustrate those as caves, which still there is no desert area in South Central Unova according to the map.

Again, bit confused here. The desert area isn't shown as a different terrain (neither is the one in Hoenn), but I haven't tried to make it look like a cave. Can you clarify?

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeah, the whole area is based on the New York metropolitan area, but I have placed it roughly where Vladivostok is, which shares the geography of the central strip and two pieces of land on either side. This isn't for any reason other than it seemed wasteful to include North America just to have it on there, but I also didn't want it omitted completely. This is a compromise placement so that it's on the same image, but still far away from the others. I hope that makes sense.
It makes sense as to why you've placed it there... but given that there's been confirmation that Unova was based on New York City, it feels like you're trying to shoehorn Unova into its current location like a jigsaw piece that doesn't quite fit. It's your prerogative and all, but it doesn't really flow with the rest of the map. Maybe you could just excerpt New York City and put it in the same image?

In any event, the rest of the map is really well done and thoroughly researched. I knew that Kanto and Johto were based on areas of Japan, but it's really interesting to see Hoenn, Sinnoh and all the others brought into the mix. It's a really impressive achievement that you've got here!

Years
It makes sense as to why you've placed it there... but given that there's been confirmation that Unova was based on New York City, it feels like you're trying to shoehorn Unova into its current location like a jigsaw piece that doesn't quite fit. It's your prerogative and all, but it doesn't really flow with the rest of the map. Maybe you could just excerpt New York City and put it in the same image?

In any event, the rest of the map is really well done and thoroughly researched. I knew that Kanto and Johto were based on areas of Japan, but it's really interesting to see Hoenn, Sinnoh and all the others brought into the mix. It's a really impressive achievement that you've got here!

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to do! xD I thought it was the best solution to the issue. What would you suggest?

Orre is also another one that doesn't actually appear where I've placed it, but it contains a mix of Johto and Hoenn Pokémon, so it fits there well.

Anyway, thank-you!

Years
Wait, hold on. What is Holon? I've never heard of it. Is it where Pokemon Conquest takes place?

No, it's actually where the TCG takes place (among other regions). Ransei is the one in Conquest, and it's one I've considered including at some stage. Not sure where would be best for that, though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
No, it's actually where the TCG takes place (among other regions). Ransei is the one in Conquest, and it's one I've considered including at some stage. Not sure where would be best for that, though.

Ransei is based on all of Feudal Japan, so I don't think you'd be able to fit it on a map with the rest of the regions.

I think what Cat Dog was suggesting was something like how they show Hawaii and Alaska on the US map...an inset box that's recognized to be far away, haha. If that makes sense?

droomph

weeb
Years
I agree with the first four main regions in relation to the areas in Japan. But Unova in China? It was already confirmed too be based in New York or at least Castelia City. And the Hoenn & Unova map seems over too me as the East and West portions of your mape in Hoenn seem to be flip flopped. And desert area is off in Unova, unless you are trying to illustrate those as caves, which still there is no desert area in South Central Unova according to the map.
It's based off of NYC, but you have to realize Beijing and Shanghai and the sorts are just as confusing and similar as that city - and the coast of China are just packed with those sorts of metropolitan cities.

It's not very likely, but that's how I see it.

Also, NikNaks, I think the Sevii Islands should be that archipelago stretching from Japan to Taiwan, not just sticking out underneath Honshu...just a thought?

Oh, and don't put PMD in. That's a whole different universe (and/or dimension) apparently so I don't think it's a good place to stick it.

Back