• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Riven OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
The timing of this RP has put me off schedule quite a bit. I start the second semester of uni the day after tomorrow, so my dedication to this RP will be minimal, if not non-existant for the first few days/week, hopefully this will be the worse case scenario.

So I'd just like to mention that my character won't be at orientation, but I'll try to apply for a transfer to the academy during the first few days. ^^

Oh, and these groups you have us in with the teachers, are these groups like actual classes outside of classes type thing, like private tutoring, or is it just a reference to who'll be failing me on the exam?

Anyways, I'll see you guys in class. .3.

EDIT: Don't postpone if you don't want to. You can start whenever.

Last edited:

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Well... alright...

I GUESS I'LL START IT THEN, BUT REALLY. >O I refuse to do the orientation speech.

*shotshot*

Edit-ching: Naw. Can't double post, and I have to go feed my neighbor's dog. I'll be back later.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
HURRYUPWITHYOURRPSIGNUPJACKORI'LLKILLYOUANDYOUBETTERJOINEVENTUALLYOURILLREALLYKILLYOUD:<

Yeah, I thought this would start on Wendsday actually, and I'm not going to be here next week through just about Monday till Thursday sooo, Illya might miss orientation too. I'll be able to fit this into her personality though if she doesn't make it but...she'd like to be there >:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Nyu, no worries...I'll handle the big introduction thing just as soon as we get some sort of general start (Like, everyone has to assemble wherever), but of course - my character being what he is - the speech might not be the most eloquent thing ever. xD

Anyways, how about you just double post then delete the original (turning it into a single post)? It's technically not thread bumping since it's just drawing people's attention to the new post, and you're the mod anyway so who's going to have the guts to report you? xD

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
But that's wrong! ;A; *I've gotten on people's cases for that* I thought about it, but I don't want to bump the thread. Anyway, I'll post once I'm actually 'allowed' on the computer, my mom said that because we got the Harry Potter book today I'm not allowed on the computer. *sneaking on*

And what's ironic is that she won't give me the book. *is extremely pissed off*

I would ask Iruka to delete her post, but it'll give me the chance to post without double posting.

WTF PEOPLE, CAN YOU NOT READ THE POSTS ABOVE?!?! POST SIGN-UP UPDATES IN THIS GOSH DARNED THREAD.

*huff puff huff puff*

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
*Whimper* Yessum. Read posts. Gotcha. o.o

And I thought I went rabid about stuff like that. xD Anyways, I guess you could just plain make an edit when you get your privileges back and just inform us about it in this thread when you're done. No nasty bumping involved; that better? :3

And my mum is hogging the book too. Although fortunately she hasn't given me any computer bans. ^-^

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
I don't even HAVE a mum to hog the book.

Oh wait, whoops, other way around. I mean that I don't have a hog for book to mum.... or was it a mum for book to hog? I'm confused. XD

Yeah, I haven't got the seventh book yet, mostly 'cause I didn't feel like buying it, since ten to one my Grammy will have reserved ten million copies and will be giving them out to every passerby.

Anyway, exactly when are we planning on this orientation speech? Did I miss the rescheduled "RP start date"? Or is it officially a "wait for a while until everybody's ready" as of right now? 0_o

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
I think the RP is ready to go, except there are still a few slackers who have yet to post/complete their sign-ups, so they were told to give the updates here once the RP has started, since you can join pretty much whenever you want. Start it I say.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
By the looks of it we're in the 'wait until certain people call off their silly computer bans so that Jyukai gets back online' phase of the process. Trust me, if it was my call this would have started already but the thread creator should make the first post. =O

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
By the looks of it we're in the 'wait until certain people call off their silly computer bans so that Jyukai gets back online' phase of the process. Trust me, if it was my call this would have started already but the thread creator should make the first post. =O

But you made the plot :|
I already think it's a bad thing that the OOC thread is longer than the actual thread itself...nothing is ever really going to be 'perfect RP weather' so it's best just to start it and have everyone adjust...the more you put it of the less people will still want to do the RP.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Yeah, I know, I know...I'm just not very keen on the prospect of confusing our teachers/leaving them in the dust. But yeah...I guess I might as well...*twitch*...start...but if someone is going to take a righteous smiting for this I'll claim that you people put me up to it. =O *Rushes off to type IC* Oh, and by the way: I'm going to wait for the others after the orientation speech is over and done with, so yush; no going too far before all teachers catch up. :3

Last edited:

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I think it's perfectly natural for the OOC thread to be longer then the actual thread. :< Or am I just wallowing too much with the n00bies?

Either way, I'll admit I was procrastinating on the starting post, (I didn't make the plot, I have no idea how the school works. < <) But now that my computer ban has been lifted, (I let my mom read a few chapters before I took it back, thus, she was in a good mood) and now I've finished the book, I'm freer then ever.

And since Chigiri is in my group, I'll assume we post our crit's in this thread?

-------------

He shouted at the ceiling as he plunged his head upward.

'Plunged' is a strange word, though it's not wrong, it just sounds awkward... to me. *shot*

As Ven ran out of his room fully dressed and ready for the introductory, he grabbed his headband which was lieing on his droar which held his cloths.

That would be 'lying', 'drawer', and 'clothes', respectively, if I am assuming that those are the words you intended to use. I'm not entirely sure whether 'droar' was supposed to be 'door' or 'drawer'. But it sounds more like drawer.

"Hey, that must be the loud mouth we just herd, hehehe." They said as they passed by, staring and giggling at Ven.

Hahaha. Hehehe?? That sounds evillish. It suffices enough to say 'giggling', without the 'hehehe', because the 'hehehe' made me 'hahaha'. *shotshotshotshot* [/dies of laughter at my incredibly corny joke]

*ahem* Right. To the point, that would be 'heard' not 'herd'. A herd is like a group of... cows? Well, something to that extent. sheep? goats? horses?

Well, at lest I won't embarrass myself any more, now that I have my socks." Ven said as he tried to lift his own spirits.

That would be 'least' not 'lest'. Lest you use the wrong word in the wrong place, your sentence will not sound quite the same, though I am quite sure that this was a simple typo, easily overlooked.

Ven said as he tried to lift his own spirits. He then ran down to the auditorium where the introductory was being held. As he approached the entry door, he silently opened them and quietly walked to a vacant seat. [/quote

Mmm, you could've combined these two sentences. 'Ven said as he tried to lift his own spirits, running down to the auditorium whre the introductory was being held' <-- that sounds a bit smoother and is a little less bumpy.

"I hope i'm not stealing someone's seat. No, I guess it's fine. Then again, they might be seniors...Well, they wouldn't start anything with the introductory taking place so I guess it's fine." Ven began his fight with himself like always as he took a seat.

Capitalize those 'i's. Essentially, I think you could've used a comparable phrase for 'took a seat', like, 'like always as he sat down'. Because it sounds repetitive, you used the word 'seat' already. But that's not a major issue.

his body had been also choosing either to sit or stand which made him look as if he were dancing or trying to at lest.

Lest, again. :<

Lest < Least.

Đ a r κ

Love Intent
Years
o.O I guess that's what happens when your out of school for a month and a half xD i'll edit right away.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
^^ It's mostly just spelling errors. A lot of those wouldn't get caught with a spell checker, since 'cloths' and 'lest' are actual words in the spell checker.

Just either read over your post once you done, or, work a little slower to make sure you don't have to read over it again if you're lazy, like me. Anyway, I'm going to re-copy the groups into this post.

Teachers are free to point out comments on any post, as I said earlier, but wait until the respective teacher has said what they want to say before you start pointing out the student's mistakes left and right. And like Tere-chan said earlier, Teachers can crit other teacher's posts if they find something wrong with it.

Alter Ego:
Manaphy
Phanima
JBCBlank

Iruka:
Fallen
Shaydeh
dreemxweever

Miku-chan:
Zaiku
OmniReaper (Once he's finished his sign-up.)
Fallen Angel Messiah of Black Roses

Jyu-tan:
Chigiri
ACC
Chibi-chan

JBCBlank

Satanist to the core.
Years
Joy! XD the Rp starts well... *rubs hand together* me sees... great things come from this master... *goes into and Egor type accent* The plans master... we must go on... make Rp fun... and... make thing's happen.

*Gets glomped by my shadow* OUCH! ok I'll shut up... *eyes dart back and forth*

~JBCBlank

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
Years
I was wondering if I could still sign up?

Full Given Name: Morofua Momoshiro
Nicknames (Optional): Momo/momoshi

Appearance: Momo has long, shaggy silver hair, with a fringe(bangs on one side for those who dont know) of black hair over his left eye. His hair hangs down to his waist and his fringe hangs down, over his eye, to his neck. His eyes are different collored, the left(hidden) eye is a goldish color, and the right(visable) eye is blue. He usually wears a lack, or white shirt, usually with a balance symbol on the back, or the shoulders, along with a jacket, of the opposite color, with the balance symbol on the oppocite place. His pants hare the same color as his jacket, and have patches ironed onto the knees of pants, in the shape of balance logos, his shoes and socks also change, if he's wearing black pants he wears black shoes with white laces and treads, with white socks, if white pants, black socks and white shoes. All the shoes however have the same design, balance symbols on the heel of the soles, and on the outer side of the shoe's side. Along with all this, he has a long scar hidden behind his bangs, that extends from just above his eyebrow, cuts clean through it, and extends all the way down to his chin. A momento from a battle he once fought out of anger.

Personality: He's lazy, calm, and hard to bother, a real laid back guy. He has actually trained his body to remain sitting when he falls asleep, giving him the appearance of intense meditation, that way he could get some extra sleep in during meditative classes. He beileves there is good in everyone, no matter how they act, and that there is also bad in everyone, even himself. A balance such as this makes up everyone, and he has actually managed to find this balance. It keeps him from lashing out at others, but also keeps him from getting too friendly. But, dont think that just because he is balanced, that balance wont slip in an instant. It has happened before, resulting in his scar, and it could happen again.

History: Momo was always just an average kid, well, if you counted being "obsessed over balance" normal. That's what most people from his small home town thought of him, obsessed. He started training, first in physical, hand to hand combat, but, as he slowly realized, that was an unbalanced fighting style. Its opposite? Magick. (yes, with a "K") Unfortunately, in this world, the closest you could get to magick was enchanting. So, he set out to finnally find balance in himself, trying to find that acadamy that taught enchanting. in his quest he went through many villages and towns, all of which had atleast 1 person who could enchant things, sometimes to greed, such as with the gamblers in some of the larger towns, or for entertainment, such as in the shows he saw in festivals, and smaller towns, for the children and other ongoers. And, as he travled, he saw more balance. With the case of enchanting, as he had saw, it could be used for the benefit of two groups, ones self, or the others around them, but never for bolth at once. It was strange, he thought, wondering how enchanting could not walk the line, no matter how thin. untill, he came to a certain festival in a town just outside of Riven. A man was putting on a show, and in return, the croud gave him money, purely out of the good of their hearts. Now, more-so than ever, he wanted to learn to enchant.

Other (Optional): (Just in case there's something about your character that you didn't get to express above.)
RP Sample: (I'll edit this one in later. It's getting late, and I want to try to finish the 7th harry potter book tonight. how bout this, you give me a situation, and i'll go with it, like in an RP anything can happen and the RP'ers will have to go with it on a moment's notice. True? Untill then, goodnight. *bows respectuflly* and yes, when in OOC I use * as an action, sorry.)

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
(Um.... psst, Silvertail? You can tell about updated sign-ups here, but your actual sign-up goes in the roleplay thread...)

Umm...no it doesn't. Once the RP has started - which it has - this is precisely the right place to stick a sign-up. =O

Anyways, going to have to wait for Jyukai to sort out this one since she's in charge of the class division. :3

Comments on certain people's first posts to follow eventually. ^-^

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
WHAT? I MISSED THAT?

Okay, I officially feel like an idiot.... um, pay no attention to me, I'm running away. In the opposite direction. While singing the "I'm very sorry song". *deletes idiot post*

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
^ Haaa, no worries ACC. That's the one thing I double checked after I got corrected too. xDD *we're in the idiots boat luz*

Hope you don't mind, Tere-chan, but I couldn't help but point this out.

That's what most people from his small home town thought of him, obsessed. He started training, first in physical, hand to hand combat, but, as he slowly realized, that was an unbalanced fighting style. Its opposite? Magick. (yes, with a "K") Unfortunately, in this world, the closest you could get to magick was enchanting.

I added an apostraphe to 'that's'. I also got rid of the comma after physical, though I'm not 100% positive about that one. I changed realised to realized, though I'm pretty sure that that's like color and colour? I'm not sure about that either. I also changed the comma after style to a period, to make it have a little more 'effect'. Corrected the spelling of 'opposite'. Corrected the spelling of 'the'.

I still see not why 'with a K' though, since I haven't any understanding what that has to do with anything.

I know that I overkill with comma's, but really DM, did you pick up the habit? :< Zazz no good!

Accepted, Year 7. I know you've improved already (from when I used to talk to you more. < <) but I think you've still got length's to go. Spelling, my friend, is a very important issue.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Oooh-kay...let's get cracking on the comments:

@JBC: First off, mind your tenses. If you will forgive the figure of speech, your narration is hopping back and forth between past and present tense with the frequency of a cheap, hand-held radio; that's extremely disconcerting and makes your posts hard to follow. Please stick to third person past tense, m'kay? It's best if everyone writes in the same tense. I'm sure you can find those without me harping about them at every quote. :3 Second, you don't really need bolding, and considering that it normally implies a raised voice while our subject here is a mute I think it would be better to just use the single quotations (') to signify the difference. Beyond that it's basically typos and mispunctuation, so it's weeding time:

"Late our first day... how can we be late our fist day!?" Cloud shouted right in his cousin's ear. Wolfy only closed his deep violet eyes, smiling as he leaned on his walking stick. A cool breeze blew his hair to the side. Nothing his cousin could say about being late could bother him; he was going to the academy, his happiness was so strong that not even his mother could bruise it. "It's your fault you know. You and that mouse."

That should be "late on our first day". There should also be a comma before smiling (as otherwise that sentence would imply that his eyes are smiling). Also, since the part about the breeze really has zilch to do with what comes after it it would be better off ending with a full stop instead of a comma. The next comma, on the other hand, would be better off as a semi-colon since the part after it is directly related, explaining why nothing his cousin could say bothers him. Finally, you're missing a capital in that last 'you'. :3

Stopping suddenly, Wolfy turned to where his cousin's voice had radiated from, opening his useless eyes he gave his cousin a glassy stare. Even though he couldn't see Cloud, Wolfy knew that his cousin was shifting his weight uncomfortably; the sound of shifting dirt was unmistakable, You're only here because of me. he signed, leaning his walking stick against his chest so that he could use both hands, And besides, you were the one who just had to have my mother remake breakfast.

Comma required after 'suddenly'. Also, that should be 'stare'; not 'stair'. Those are the typos you have to be careful about since a spell checker won't catch them. Re-reading a bit after you have finished the post should be enough to nail them, though. That first sentence is also a bit too exhausting with all the commas, so I'd suggest splitting it up with a full stop after 'stare'. Again, we also have a case of direct elaboration here so semi-colon instead of comma after 'uncomfortably'. The last corrections may be a bit harder to see since I can't apply bolds with the current format (another reason to switch it :O) so that's a missing capital in 'you're' and a missing comma after 'And besides'.

"You guys know that I'm..." Cloud's voice trailed off, "You're right, you're right; I shouldn't blame you for my being picky." He sighs then places his hand on his cousin's shoulder, "Let's get inside before we get into trouble."

That should be 'you're'; not 'your'. Also, I'm not sure whether the repetition was intentional or not. If it was, then that's a comma after the first one and a semi-colon after the second, otherwise it's just a comma after the one and only. Also, you're missing an 'e' in 'being' and you get 'into' trouble, not 'in' it.

Wolfy nods. He loved his cousin and knew how he acted when he didn't get what he wanted, being a vegetarian seemed to have changed him more then the family anticipated. Wolfy and Cloud continued walking through the courtyard towards the auditorium where they could hear the majority of the voices. Wolfy wondered what the grounds looked like as they walked over cool, soft grass. Cloud he signed stopping so suddenly that it took Cloud a few steps to notice that he no longer was accompanied.

Okay, that first part sort of looks like you left the first sentence unfinished and just started with the next, but in it's current state that should just be a full stop after 'nods'. There's also another typo (should be 'through'; not 'threw') and there should be a comma after 'cool' since you're listing the qualities of the grass.

"Of course they will, and if they don't I'll make them." Cloud joked, making Wolfy smile. "Don't worry so much. We have each other; isn't that all that matters?"

Okay, I had a bit of thinking to do in how this one should be punctuated, but this is the most eloquent I could manage; full stop after 'much' and semi-colon after 'each other'.

I guess. is all that Wolfy signed before starting to walk again. Cloud kept a hand on his cousin's shoulder as they transitioned from grass to a laden path, the stones under his feet were hard yet soft, and they smelt musty overpowering the smell of the fresh grass, Limestone. he signs to Cloud.

"Right cuz, Limestone. Clean white-" He stops suddenly, "Sorry, I forgot you don't know what colors really are." there was the unmistakable ring of Pity in his voice.

Full stop instead of comma after 'again'. Also, you've mixed up the possessive and plural here; that should be 'colors' without an apostrophe.
Wolfy's grip on his walking stick tightened, he hated being reminded that he was so different - he knew he was, of course, he just hated hearing it - Don't worry about it Cloud. he signs walking away from his cousin, following the sound of voices.

Okay, the sentences were sort of fragmented so I figured that turning the 'he knew' part into a full side-remark would be the best way to go. As a general thing, if you're an -ing form (such as following) then you'll need a comma in there. If the -ing is at the start of the sentence, (e.g. Mumbling incoherently) then the comma comes after it, otherwise it should preceed the -ing word, such as in this case. :3

The rest of it is basically the same things in repeat, but I don't think writing a whole essay about them is going to make things any clearer. Just re-read and you should see. Also, same as I told Rena: when deciding where to put the full stop always keep in mind that the words between two full stops must form a comprehensible message without assistance from any other sentences.

Overall, it looks mostly like mistakes of carelessness (Except possibly the tense shifts, dunno' about those. o.O), so revising your posts after you've typed them out is probably the best way to go. On a positive note: there's a good bit of content here, though, and I like the way you focused on smell. sound, and touch instead of appearances seeing as how your character is blind, so overall I think it's a good entry post. Characters seem interesting so far. :3

@Phanima: Indent paragraphs...*Twitch* Okay, I've seriously got to get over my bias. Anyways, I just noticed a little time jump here too:

Fortunately, many of these applicants are accepted, whether they have a strong foundation and knowledge in magic or not. However, on rare and unfortunate occasions, several students are also turned away from the school. Soel himself had been one of the academy's near-miss scenarios, where his future hung in the balance of this very event of applying to the school.

Should be 'were' in both cases to stick with the past tense. This kind of present tense wouldn't be a problem in something like a plot, but in the middle of a past tense narrative? It just sounds...off. Don't think I can explain the feeling any clearer than that. x_O Anyways, just a few other things I noticed:
This was mainly because of his family's name, and not because of his abilities and skills. This was especially apparent in his case, because for a descendant of the Mokona family, his magical powers were extremely limited and underdeveloped. This was the means of his struggle in enrolling into the academy, because even for a novice magician, his mindset and, at that time, his skills were minimal, even by Riven's standards.

Three sentences in a row starting with 'this' - while not right out wrong - is stylistically bad. There's also a similar case with 'he' in the next paragraph (The next one separated by a full line, that is) Try using some synonyms and alternative ways of expression to add more variety to your post. Also, the last remark is kind of odd since Riven - the land of the rift - is the country magic originates from and thus would have the highest standards concerning magical skills while that remark suggests the contrary. :3
However, despite his initial reaction, he was personally looking forward to meeting several of the new students and to hopefully be just that: a role model.

Since the last part here is directly related to the one before it a colon is the way to go here.
The corridors of the boys' dormitory were still crowded by several male students who had yet to gather at the auditorium. Soel decided not to instruct them, as he had trouble voicing his opinion and more often than not, ended up embarrassing himself with nothing to say

It's a dormitory for more than one boy, thus a plural possessive is called for (and therefore the apostrophe goes after the 's'; not before), the comma after 'more often than not' is also redundant.
It was a part of a routine carried out by the school that still had Soel asking himself questions, despite his previous year's experience in adjusting to the academy's customs. Hopefully, the new school year would help answer some of these questions.

The 'a' in 'a part' should be kept apart from the 'part', ne? *Shot for lame pun*
Soon realising that he had been standing in the middle of the isle for more than a minute, much to calls of other students who had been gesturing him to sit down, Soel embarrassedly retreated to the end of the hall and found a vacant seat in the back row.

Umm...much to calls? o.O I'm not quite sure what word you were aiming for here, but I know that's not the right one.

Overall, good quality post as expected. The only thing I'd comment on is that there isn't that much to be found about Soel's feelings here. I mean, there's bits and pieces of it but the setting seems to be more dominant in the description so I'm left feeling like I didn't get to know that much about the boy per-say. But you know...if that's an intended effect then pay this comment no heed, just thought I'd point it out. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back