• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Aurora [Beta 1.3.1] (04/24/18)

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years

Pokemon Aurora

Story

In the isolated region of Zyphre, 1 year after the events of Pokemon Fire Red, you are ready to begin your Pokemon Adventure! Your Grandparents give you a rare Pokemon -- a Dratini -- and you are given the opportunity to explore and challenge the regions Gym Leaders! However, a threat has been circulating the region -- Team Rocket is back, and attempting to take over the Elite Four and the region. It's up to you to take down Team Rocket.

I know, it's kinda a lame story. I'll think of something better. :)

Features

• Decapitalization
  • Physical / Special Split
  • Running Indoors
  • Custom Tilesets
  • Custom Scripts
  • New and custom region to explore
  • Evolution fixes (Trading evolutions will evolve at levels like normal Pokemon)
  • Typing fixes (Typing for Pokemon that makes more sense)

Screenshots

pkmn_aurora_1.png
pkmn_aurora_2.png
pkmn_aurora_3.png

pkmn_aurora_4.png
pkmn_aurora_5.png
pkmn_aurora_6.png

pkmn_aurora_7.png
pkmn_aurora_8.png
pkmn_aurora_9.png

pkmn_aurora_10.png
pkmn_aurora_11.png
pkmn_aurora_12.png

pkmn_aurora_13.png
pkmn_aurora_14.png
pkmn_aurora_15.png

pkmn_aurora_16.png

Credits / Tools used

• Me / Vexio / vxo - Mapping, Scripting, Story, (Some) Tiles
  • AdvanceMap 1.95
  • A-Trainer
  • XSE
  • YAPE
  • Spherical Ice's Fire Red Styled tiles
  • Princelegendario's Verdanturf Town Fire Red Styled tiles
  • DP/P Fire Red Ported Tiles
  • Spherical Ice's Farm Fire Red Styled tiles
  • Other Spherical Ice tiles

Bugs

• Currently none known. Please report them on this thread! Thanks.

Download

Beta 1.0
Length: Second Gym in Verdia Town
Release Date: April 1st, 2018
Download: Beta 1.0 Download

Beta 1.1
Length: Team Rocket Battle in Snowden City
Release Date: April 2nd, 2018
Download: Beta 1.1 Download

Beta 1.2
Length: Third Gym Battle in Avadante Town
Release Date: April 8th, 2018
Download: Beta 1.2 Download

Beta 1.3
Length: Fifth Gym Battle in Sailport Island
Release Date: April 22nd, 2018
Download: Beta 1.3 Download

Beta 1.3.1
Length: Fifth Gym Battle in Sailport Island (Bug fixes)
Release Date: April 24th, 2018
Download: Beta 1.3.1 Download

Last edited:

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
I played through your hack quickly and I'd like to say that it definitely has potential. There's just a few things I'd like to point out.

-Your grandma has no script attached to her
-I recommend placing a script tile saying "The door is locked." on any house you've made inaccessible in the beta.
-There are some inconsistencies in how you spell Zyphre (There's a boy in Hedlin City who says Zephre)
-The fat guy in Hedlin City starts walking away from you mid-script. You should add a lock command to his script.
-Some houses don't connect propely to tress in Hedlin City
-If you're going to stick with coloured text for NPCs, you should add colour to script tiles as well.
-I was able to get into a wild battle on stairs (Route 2). You probably have the stairs behaviour byte set to 0x1 (wild battle).
-Coming in to Rosso Town from Route 2 has a connection error in the top right pokemon centre tile
-I talked to guy about seeing the Museum in Rosso Town and he trapped me behind a house.

I stopped playing at this point, but if you fix the above bugs (especially that last one) you should be on your way to making a great hack!

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
I played through your hack quickly and I'd like to say that it definitely has potential. There's just a few things I'd like to point out.

-Your grandma has no script attached to her
-I recommend placing a script tile saying "The door is locked." on any house you've made inaccessible in the beta.
-There are some inconsistencies in how you spell Zyphre (There's a boy in Hedlin City who says Zephre)
-The fat guy in Hedlin City starts walking away from you mid-script. You should add a lock command to his script.
-Some houses don't connect propely to tress in Hedlin City
-If you're going to stick with coloured text for NPCs, you should add colour to script tiles as well.
-I was able to get into a wild battle on stairs (Route 2). You probably have the stairs behaviour byte set to 0x1 (wild battle).
-Coming in to Rosso Town from Route 2 has a connection error in the top right pokemon centre tile
-I talked to guy about seeing the Museum in Rosso Town and he trapped me behind a house.

I stopped playing at this point, but if you fix the above bugs (especially that last one) you should be on your way to making a great hack!

Thanks for the feedback! I have fixed all these bugs. I'll be releasing an update later today after I finish up another city.

Steny

Formerly Known as ThatOneRaichu | Creator Of Pokem
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
This looks great. Good luck!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I always like playing hacks from new members so I thought I'd give this one a go and document some bugs to help make future iterations better.

Spoiler:

I'm going to put this bug separately as it isn't a minor thing that can be fixed in two second/ has little impact on the game. Its very serious and I want to draw your attention to it.

When I investigated the script where your grandfather gives you Cubone to confirm that you weren't using variable 0x8004 to signify that the player was nicknaming the first Pokemon in their party, I noticed that you are playing with very dangerous flags and variables. You were using flags starting from flag 0x1000 and variables starting from variable 0x6000. These are not safe at all and can lead to your Pokemon being corrupted as you are overwriting parts of the RAM that are reserved for data in PC boxes. Here are some screenshots of what awaited me when I got to my first PC in Hendlin City:

VYsDmEP.png
R00zKKP.png
AiKoTUd.png

This glitched Bad Egg can be picked up, moved around and crashes the game if put into your party. If I had a Pokemon in that spot in the PC it would have been corrupted and unusable. You will have to go through all of you scripts and change the flags and variables you're using as right now you're courting with danger. Read this thread to learn what flags and variable are safe to use in FR.

I wish you luck in your hack and keep at it!

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
I always like playing hacks from new members so I thought I'd give this one a go and document some bugs to help make future iterations better.

Spoiler:

I'm going to put this bug separately as it isn't a minor thing that can be fixed in two second/ has little impact on the game. Its very serious and I want to draw your attention to it.

When I investigated the script where your grandfather gives you Cubone to confirm that you weren't using variable 0x8004 to signify that the player was nicknaming the first Pokemon in their party, I noticed that you are playing with very dangerous flags and variables. You were using flags starting from flag 0x1000 and variables starting from variable 0x6000. These are not safe at all and can lead to your Pokemon being corrupted as you are overwriting parts of the RAM that are reserved for data in PC boxes. Here are some screenshots of what awaited me when I got to my first PC in Hendlin City:

VYsDmEP.png
R00zKKP.png
AiKoTUd.png

This glitched Bad Egg can be picked up, moved around and crashes the game if put into your party. If I had a Pokemon in that spot in the PC it would have been corrupted and unusable. You will have to go through all of you scripts and change the flags and variables you're using as right now you're courting with danger. Read this thread to learn what flags and variable are safe to use in FR.

I wish you luck in your hack and keep at it!

Thanks for heads up. I'll go through all my scripts and convert them accordingly.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years

Update - Beta 1.1 (April 2nd 2018)

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the help so far -- this is only my second hack, so expect there to be issues and bugs.

Special thanks to DrFuji for giving me the heads up with the flags/variables conflict issue -- glad this was said earlier on in Development. :)

NOTE: Due to the changes in variables and flags, you will need to restart your game from the start. Sorry :(

Anyways, onto the changes.

Fixes

• Grandparents now have scripts
  • Fixed some typos
  • Fixed an issue with the Fat dude in Hendlin City where he would start walking away mid-way through conversation
  • Fixed wildbattles on stairs
  • Fixed some connection errors with Route 2 and Rosso Town
  • Fixed the guy next to the Rosso Museum taking you out of the map

Changes

• Houses in Rosso Town are now Red colored (instead of the previous Cyan)
  • Routes 1, 2 & 3 got makeovers
  • Mt. Hyren got a makeovers on all floors
  • Added Route 4, a new snow route
  • Added Snowden City, a snow city that is known for being full of some weird people.
  • Updated catchable Pokemon in Routes 2 & 3
  • New grass texture (Made by me, don't worry)
    pkmn_a_7.png
  • New small tree texture
  • New dirt path texture
  • New grass path texture
  • Re-colored log texture
  • New rock texture

Download

Beta 1.1
Length: Team Rocket Battle in Snowden City
Release Date: April 2nd, 2018
Download: Beta 1.1 Download

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
I was able to finish playing the hack this time around, and I have a few more things to report.

-When I went back to heal with my Mom, she said that Prof Oak was looking for me and wouldn't heal me
-Pigtail girl in Hendlin City has a broken script
-The camper in Hendlin City that prevents you from going to Route 3 early has a broken script when talked to. He only interacts via script tile
-Many of the Team Rocket grunts play the wrong trainer spotted music. This can be fixed by changing the number in the "Music" box in Hopeless Trainer Editor.
-Maybe also add nurse at the entrance to Mt. Hyren? I found it annoying having to run back to town every time I wanted to heal.
-The wild Pokemon in Mt. Hyren have much lower levels than the Pokemon found in the wild outside of the mountain.
-The nurse on Route 4 has bugged dialogue. You should take a look.

Despite all of these things, the game was still really enjoyable! But just like Dr. Fuji said, you should try to recycle less Fire Red scripts. If most of the NPCs say something new and unique, it would really enhance your game.

Last edited:

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
I was able to finish playing the hack this time around, and I have a few more things to report.

-When I went back to heal with my Mom, she said that Prof Oak was looking for me and wouldn't heal me
-Pigtail girl in Hendlin City has a broken script
-The camper in Hendlin City that prevents you from going to Route 3 early has a broken script when talked to. He only interacts via script tile
-Many of the Team Rocket grunts play the wrong trainer spotted music. This can be fixed by changing the number in the "Music" box in Hopeless Trainer Editor.
-Maybe also add nurse at the entrance to Mt. Hyren? I found it annoying having to run back to town every time I wanted to heal.
-The wild Pokemon in Mt. Hyren have much lower levels than the Pokemon found in the wild outside of the mountain.
-The nurse on Route 4 has bugged dialogue. You should take a look.

Despite all of these things, the game was still really enjoyable! But just like Dr. Fuji said, you should try to recycle less Fire Red scripts. If most of the NPCs say something new and unique, it would really enhance your game.

Thanks for the feedback once again. I went through the game earlier and actually made a majority of the trainer battles scripts to be unique. And I'll fix the mom script asap

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
Thanks for the feedback once again. I went through the game earlier and actually made a majority of the trainer battles scripts to be unique. And I'll fix the mom script asap
To be honest it's not really the trainer battle scripts that need fixing; no one really reads those anyways 😂. It's more of NPCs in Pokémon Centres and Marts for example, being taken straight from Fire Red. I have no interest in talking to them because I already know they're going to say nothing useful. If you changed many of these NPCs to maybe give items, or explain the history or lore of your region, it would go a long way to adding another layer of depth to your game.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Quick question, will there be a second version called Borealis, and will the game take place at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely within a kitchen?

LOL, jk.

Anyhoo, I am excited to see how this hack turns out. I like hacks that use somewhat vanilla tiles.

Last edited:

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Quick question, will there be a second version called Borealis, and will the game take place at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely within a kitchen?

LOL, jk.

Anyhoo, I am excited to see how this hack turns out. I like hacks that use somewhat vanilla tiles.

Glad you like it! I've been using Spherical Ice's FR styled tilesets and they're amazing, I just wish there were more of them.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years

Progress Update (April 7th 2018)

Hey everyone! Beta 1.2 will be coming soon. I'm trying to add as much as I can for this update.

So lets get into the updates that will be coming soon.

Upcoming Changes

• Added Phys/Spec Split
  • Added Route 5 to the left of Snowden City
  • Added Avadante Town
  • Added Avadante Lake
  • Added Avadante Forest
  • Added Route 6
  • Added Route 7

Here is an updated World Map of the Zyphre Region
Worldmap_Beta_1.2.png

I hope you guys are ready for this upcoming update! It will drop soon. If you have any feedback, please leave some! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Is the P/S/S split implemented in this game and Generation 4-6 (or 7) moves?

There are no new Gen moves, although I would like to add them (If there's a patch or something of that sort that I could do, I would love to do that)

And yes, there is a Phys/Spec Split in the upcoming Beta 1.2 version

Years
There are no new Gen moves, although I would like to add them (If there's a patch or something of that sort that I could do, I would love to do that)

And yes, there is a Phys/Spec Split in the upcoming Beta 1.2 version
Yes, there is a patch, it is Mr.Dollsteak's attack rombase but unfortunately, it would mean starting the hack from scratch.

LUXIOtheBEST

*Luxio//Hacks*'s New Account
Years

Progress Update (April 7th 2018)

Hey everyone! Beta 1.2 will be coming soon. I'm trying to add as much as I can for this update.

So lets get into the updates that will be coming soon.

Upcoming Changes

• Added Phys/Spec Split
  • Added Route 5 to the left of Snowden City
  • Added Avadante Town
  • Added Avadante Lake
  • Added Avadante Forest
  • Added Route 6
  • Added Route 7

Here is an updated World Map of the Zyphre Region
Worldmap_Beta_1.2.png

I hope you guys are ready for this upcoming update! It will drop soon. If you have any feedback, please leave some! Thanks everyone!

Ooooooo! Pretty good. I'm actually liking this so far. Can't wait to play it.

Reactions: vxo

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years

Beta 1.2 (April 8th 2018)

Hey everyone! Beta 1.2 is here with more stuff.
Here's are some of the changes/additions

Changes

• Added Physical/Special Attack Split
  • A few more re-maps of previous maps
  • Added Routes 5, 6 & 7
  • Added Avadante Town, Lake, and Forest
  • Added Third Gym Battle (Located in Avadante Town)
  • Wishing I added MrDollsteak's Attack and Decap Rombases from when I started

New Screenshots

pkmn_aurora_1.png
pkmn_aurora_2.png
pkmn_aurora_3.png

pkmn_aurora_4.png
pkmn_aurora_5.png
pkmn_aurora_6.png

pkmn_aurora_7.png
pkmn_aurora_8.png
pkmn_aurora_9.png

pkmn_aurora_10.png