• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever not wanted to evolve for aesthetic reasons?

Years
I usually evolve my Pokemon to fill the Dex, if I want to keep something unevolved I'd just breed another one of the species I want, like how I decided to breed an extra Oshawott on my Black version and gave the thing an Everstone so I can forever adore his cuteness. Problem solved.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Dragonair, Wingull, and Minccino are three Pokemon that I refused to evolve because they're so much better than their final evolutions. Even if they're weak and start learning different moves than their evolved forms, I'll still refuse to evolve.

I might add Braixen to that list as well.

Years
In R/S, I kept my Torchic from evolving for the longest time, because -unpopular opinion time- really not a fan of how Combusken and Blaziken looks. I get that the evolutionary line is supposed to look like chickens, but Blaziken just looks like he has flowing blonde hair and bell-bottom furrypants to me.

I did the same thing actually. Kept my Torchic through my playthrough of Ruby. Not a fan of its evolutions either.

I also tend to keep Ivysaur and Rhyhorn. It's not that I mind Venusaur and Rhydon that much, just think their pre-evolved forms look much cooler. Let's not even talk about Rhypherior.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I actually did with my Vibrava in Emerald for the longest time. It's just that Vibrava looks so much cooler than Flygon, aesthetically.

Eventually I had to evolve it, though, as it was going to be a team member for my Battle Frontier trio.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I normally have the final form in mind when I form a team so this doesn't really happen to me.

There are some pokemon I love where I'm not as crazy about their final forms like Numel, Gulpin and Pumpkaboo....but I suck it up and learn to appreciate their evolved forms.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yes. A lot.

xD I like a lot of the pre-evo's, so sometimes I'll just stop their evolution every time, or make them hold an Everstone.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
Years
I refuse to evolve my Braixen. I just... I really dislike Delphox, but Braixen is so cute...
Anyway, definitely Rhyperior, too -- not a fan. I can probably name a few more... I don't like Bibarel or Diggersby. I prefer Skitty to Delcatty as well. Tympole, Glameow, Dragonair (though I love Dragonite too)...
In summary, I love a lot of pre-evolutions design-wise, so sometimes I sacrifice the "evolution power-up" for aesthetics. What can I say? I just love cute Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
I never want to evolve my starters. They start out as cutie babies and I want them to stay as cute babies. . . I didn't evolve my Chikorita until about 50. My Tepig, well I didn't actually know what it evolved into so I figured "Why not". . . Bad idea >.> I'm definitely NOT going to evolve my Fennekin when I get Pokemon X. Fennekin is too cute to evolve.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
I don't want to evolve my Pikachu in Pokemon Y. It is much better looking than Raichu, but less powerful. I'm going to give it a light ball and EV train it for defenses and special defense so it won't be a glass cannon.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
I always thought that Dewott looked better then Samurott... But I always ended up evolving it.

And recently in my X, I finally evolved my Doublade into Aegislash, although I kinda miss how cool Doublade looked, especially when it did certain moves.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I've always liked Quilava better than Typhlosion even though I always end up evolving it if it's in my team.

When I first played Emerald, I wouldn't evolve my Vigoroth because I thought Slaking looked really ugly, but then I changed my mind when I decided I wanted to complete the pokedex.

In Crystal, I was almost not gonna evolve my Croconaw because I'm not that keen on Feraligatr. In fact I would've even kept it as a Totodile because it's a lot cuter.

Whenever I get a shiny, I evolve it depending on its evolution's colours. If the evolution has better colours than it's pre-evo (such as Charizard and Magcargo) or the same colours (such as Buneary), then I evolve it. If it has dull and boring colours when it evolves (such as Snubbull), then I keep it as it is.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
Years
Never. There aren't any un-evolved forms I like better than the evolved.

Honestly, I feel like most of the un-evolved forms are lackluster and boring.

I also feel like they meant it to be that way, but that's just me.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I don't want to evolve my Pikachu in Pokemon Y. It is much better looking than Raichu, but less powerful. I'm going to give it a light ball and EV train it for defenses and special defense so it won't be a glass cannon.

Unfortunately his base stats are too low for that to make any difference. You're better off focusing on Sp.Atk and Spd to make him a fast sweeper, hope you can get in a hit before they knock you out.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Ugh yes, I hate how mgmortar looks. Magmar is one of my favorite pokemon, but I have just never really been fond of magmortar's aesthetics or his moves. I guess Magmortar's but in some competitive aspect, but if I am playing through the game I normally don't have magmar evolve.

That's about all. I like the looks of the final evolved forms as much, or more than the previous. Electivire > Electebuzz , Blissey > Chansey imo.

Years
The only one that I can think of that comes to mind for me is Vigaroth.. mostly on the account of how useless Slaking is.. I do it anyway, because I don't really use Slaking (I can't think of anyone who does off hand) it just seems like such a waste.

I know my girlfriend was crazy about Lilipup.. like she had a whole army of them. I still tease her about it from time to time :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
In Gold, I never evolved my Totodile because I thought the sprites for Croconaw and Feraligatr looked ugly. Sure, that made my team a lot weaker, but I got through the game fine anyway, and I never intended to use him in competitive battles. I also waited to evolve my Hoothoot until level 74 or so because I liked Hoothoot better (though after I evolved it, Noctowl grew on me, and now I prefer the evolved owl). I think the reason why I evolved Hoothoot (several years after getting the game) was probably that I didn't want it to be weak like my Totodile, though.

I've frequently trained Pikachu that I haven't evolved, in all generations. I'll often train a Raichu separately, though (although at the moment in X, I actually have only put time into training Pikachu, not Raichu). With light ball, Pikachu isn't that weak (for in-game, anyway), and it's cute.

Aside from Pikachu, I tend to evolve all of my Pokémon now, even if they look better in their earlier stages. I guess I care more about their power and the competitive elements of Pokémon than I did when I was younger. That's been the case since gen III or so.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Seems like I'm not the only one who didn't want to evolve Quilava :) . I always end up letting it evolve, but I just don't like the "Grr, look how mean I am" face Typhlosion constantly has.

Back