• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Your Top Songs & Albums of 2017

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Crack up by Fleet Foxes
Lust for Life by Lana Del Ray
Flower Boy by Tyler the Creator
Ultralife by Oh Wonder
Reputation by Taylor Swift
The Only Road by Gabriel & Dresden
LANY by Lany

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Down, Wicked, and No Good by In Flames; words cannot describe the three covers they have in this album.

Years
For some albums: Melodrama by Lorde, Fake Sugar by Beth Ditto. The Paramore album was good, too. So was the Depeche Mode album.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Mainly wrote this for myself because I like reflecting on the year that's been

Top 5 Music Videos of 2017

5. Perfect, Ed Sheeran
Actually the cutest omg
4. DNA, BTS
Definitely a reason it broke view records, some 24m in the first 24h iirc
3. 1-800-273-8255, Logic, ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid
Powerful and beautifully shot
2. New Rules, Dua Lipa
Lots of fun and looked amazing
1. Look What You Made Me Do, Taylor Swift
#yesbias because of all the easter eggs for Swifties. Plus it's a gorgeous video tbh a+ production and videography

Top 5 Albums of 2017

5. Divide, Ed Sheeran
Was tossing up between Divide and 'Love Yourself' (BTS) for the #5 spot. Definitely not Ed's best album (there are a few duds on this one tbh) but overall a pretty strong album.
Standout tracks: Perfect, Castle on the Hill, Supermarket Flowers, Dive, Save Myself

4. Rainbow, Kesha
Such an important album and it's so good to see Kesha making the music she wants to, and telling her story.
Standout tracks: Learn To Let Go, Rainbow, Praying, Godzilla, Old Flames (Can't Hold A Candle To You)

3. Flicker, Niall Horan
tbh all my of Top 3 have been my favourite of the year at some point in time haha they're all pretty ace. I'm loving the folksy, acoustic guitar-driven sound of this album, and the different direction (heh) Niall has gone in.
Standout tracks: Flicker, Paper Houses, Too Much To Ask, Slow Hands, This Town, Fire Away, On My Own, The Tide

2. reputation, Taylor Swift
First listen I was like ehh… By the second I was hooked on everything. Different to her previous albums for sure but still the Taylor that I love. Please don't judge the album based on Look What You Made Me Do, easily one of the worst tracks on the album haha.
Standout tracks: Delicate, Getaway Car, New Year's Day, Call It What You Want, Endgame, King of my Heart, …Ready For It?, I Did Something Bad

1. Melodrama, Lorde
She's really going from strength to strength. Very sonically cohesive album with amazing lyrics throughout. Keep killing it, Lorde <3
Standout tracks: Perfect Places, The Louvre, Supercut, Writer in the Dark, Green Light, Liability (Reprise)

Top 20 Songs of 2017

Only included 1 song per artist, or else my top 20 would be dominated by Lorde and TSwift haha.

Also I turned my top songs of 2017 into a playlist if you're interested in checking it out.

20. I Feel It Coming, The Weeknd ft Daft Punk
Ok I know this was released in 2016 but I don't think I heard it until early 2017 in Australia.
19. 1-800-273-8255, Logic ft Alessia Cara & Khalid
Powerful song, best VMA performance in a long time.
18. Beautiful Mess, Kristian Kostov
My favourite song from Eurovision 2017.
17. Boys, Charli XCX

16. Not Worth Hiding, Alex the Astronaut
In a year where gay rights was put to a public opinion poll in Australia, this song from a local artist appeared and was a light amidst all the darkness.
15. How Far I'll Go, Auli'l Cravalho
This is the movie version, heaps better than Alessia's version that went to radio.
14. Malibu, Miley Cyrus

13. I Like Me Better, Lauv

12. There for You, Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan

11. Bad Liar, Selena Gomez

10. Sun Tan, Wallows
Fun fact: Dylan Minnette, who plays Clay Jensen in 13 Reasons Why, is the singer and guitarist in this band.
9. Praying, Kesha

8. New Rules, Dua Lipa

7. There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back, Shawn Mendes

6. Attention, Charlie Puth

5. Best of Me, BTS
I still wouldn't call myself a fan of K-Pop, but after this song (and a few others from BTS's album) I think I'm sort of getting there.
4. The Louvre, Lorde

3. Slow Hands, Niall Horan

2. Delicate, Taylor Swift
Honestly, would call this one of Taylor's best songs ever. Such a fittingly delicate song. "Is it cool that I said all that?" is an iconic line and so relevant to all types of budding love.
1. Castle on the Hill, Ed Sheeran
I think one of the reasons I love this song is because of the memories associated with it. It's a nostalgic song that came out when I was in a different city and homesick. It's a song about the people around you, which became our team song at work. Plus it's a pretty good driving song hahah.​

blue

gucci
Years
dua lipa - new rules
michael kiwanuka - cold little heart
cardi b - bodak yellow
post malone ft. 21 savage - rockstar
lil uzu vert - xo tour lif3
rag 'n' bone man - human
p!nk - what about us
harry styles - sign of the times
zayn ft. sia - dusk till dawn
dua lipa - be the one
taylor swift - look what you made me do
katy perry - hey hey hey

Years
I'm bad at listening to albums in full so here's a list of my top songs, in rough order:

1. Perfect Place, Lorde
2. New Rules, Dua Lipa
3. Feel It Still, Portugal the Man
4. Supercut, Lorde - ykw just assume her whole album is one here.
5. Redbone, Childish Gambino
6. Fetish (ft. Gucci Mane), Selena Gomez
7. Praying, Kesha
8. Eraser, Ed Sheeran
9. Love, Lana Del Ray
10. Blow Your Mind, Dua Lipa
11. Need Nothing, VERITÉ
12. Never Be the Same, Camilla Cabello
13. Don't Blame Me, Taylor Swift
14. Rich Friends, Portugal the Man
15. Fake Happy, Paramore

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
Years
Starset: Vessels
Linkin Park: One More Light (Rip Chester Bennington...)
Konceal: We are unknown and Illuminati

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2021
These are my personal most listened to albums of the year:
1. Creeper - Eternity In Your Arms
2. Jamie Wyatt - Felony Blues
3. The Mountain Goats - Goths
4. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
5. Lorde - Melodrama

My Top tracks:
1. The Mountain Goats - Rain In Soho
2. Kesha - Let Em Talk (Feat. Eagles of Death Metal)
3. Steven Wilson - Pariah (Feat. Ninyet Taylor)
4. Eric Taxxon - Real Boy
5. The Birthday Massacre - All of Nothing
Honorable Mention to Teenage Tragedy by Josline & The Noir and her debut EP. She has a lot of potential and while not even she is happy with the final result of the EP itself, it shows that she has an amazing future and with an album along the way this year, I will be more than happy to give it a listen.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was going to do just a top five, but whoops. This list isn't really in any particular order, though. I just don't have the time to narrow down THAT much. lmfao

DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar
I said no order, but I got scalped by this album and never grew my hair back for anything else to snatch me for the year. So this is my #1. Excellently done. Not just lyrically savvy, but the beats and flows (looking at DNA especially) and the narrative in it are perfect. To Pimp A Butterfly is great, but more politically heavy and while it's a great and recommended listen, I feel like Kendrick struck a great balance with DAMN where it's fun to listen to every track and get the message in. I can't entirely do that with Butterfly because it's very wordy and focuses on that -- not that that's a bad thing, but like I said, he found a balance with this album and fucking nailed it. It's good when an artist can make it sound interesting while having thought provoking lyrics along with it.

Queen Elizabitch - Cupcakke

Sex ain't me, but I'm sure here for it in lyrics. Honestly though, this album has good messages - a proper body image message, at that. One that doesn't put down one body type over the other which is my problem with tracks like Anaconda and All About That Bass. Biggie Smalls does a wonderful job of lifting my spirits and I'm surely not the only one. But aside from that, Cupcakke is great with lyrics and wordplay. Hell, her tweets could be arranged into a track for an album.

Rainbow - Kesha
Perfectly titled album with a fucking beautiful single in Praying. The most powerful song of the year, maybe even the decade. I would go that far. I have been a fan of Kesha even during the drunk frat hopping party girl songs. It took some coming around, but I gave up that elitist attitude I had towards pop music. But I am so glad that she is able to come into her own here and be the artist she WANTS to be and deserves to be.

No Culture - Mother Mother
Did anyone listen to this? Because it's really good if you want some in your face rock music and missed out on it in 2017. Or maybe I'm lacking in the rock department because I mean there are obviously more artists and songs that can be in your face, of course. But this one nailed it for me. Back In School fucking slaps.

CTRL - SZA
Whatever was left of my wig, she took. lol Admittedly I haven't listened through the whole thing enough times, but you don't even have to listen to it that much to know how good it is. I always find SZA's voice very...soothing? Relaxing? I'm tired of trying to talk, just go listen.

Luv Is Rage 2 - Lil Uzi Vert
Okay no I listened to this a hell of a lot. This actually might be my most listened to album of the year, bar DAMN. and Queen Elizabitch. I really had fun with this album. That's all that matters in the end, right?

Flower Boy - Tyler the Creator
One of those that is excellent, however you listen through the whole thing and it's similar to what I said about To Pimp A Butterfly. It's hard to just listen to it without sitting down and taking it all in. One of those that I, personally, felt like I had to take it all in at once to get full enjoyment. But it's excellent.

Melodrama - Lorde
Falls into that category of "listen to the whole thing for full enjoyment" thing again for me, but why wouldn't you? The Lorde is good. The narrative here is perfect. And Green Light is, admittedly, close to heart. I wasn't trying to leave a boyfriend or anything, but it actually did propel me to drop my position as staff here. It was hard to say goodbye. I found my green light. I packed my things and let go. Obviously if I'm posting here though, I didn't let go entirely, did I!? Aha. Just to that position. But it is close to heart for that reason. I mean the whole album is great, but Green Light helped me personally.

interalia - At the Drive-In
I wasn't ready for this comeback. Admittedly not the biggest listener of At the Drive-In per se, but I am a huge fan of The Mars Volta, which Omar Rodriguez and Cedric Bixler are both a part of. The sound between the two bands is definitely different, and at the same time, a weirdly similar thing. Mars Volta is broken up last I checked and this was as close as we were gonna get to that. But At the Drive-In? Last we heard from them was 2001? To keep a long story short, I needed this album. It's in your face. And apparently, I like things being in my face. And weird as hell lyrics.

MASSEDUCTION - St. Vincent
I really just didn't get enough time with this album, but it's excellent. I think anyone that has listened to this album and posted about it said more than I could, so I'll leave myself at that.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Woo at Depeche Mode and The Mountain Goat's albums mentioned, good stuff there. While Kesha's Rainbow has been mentioned a bunch of times, I do enjoyed it a lot too. I admit Masseduction when I first listened to it I thought St. Vincent's music wasn't for me, but I decided to give the album another listen, liked, it, and listened to another album of theirs haha.

I'll mention an underated artist/album here, ZZ Ward's The Storm. Not sure why, but something about her voice attracts me to her stuff. "Canonball" and "Ghost" (which I actually requested for PC's Halloween Spotify playlist a while back) are my favorites.

Back