• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
At least you guys are getting pensions. My dad has at least 70% disability, way above the needed percentage for one, and yet he can't because he owes to the government. Meanwhile, there has been no crackdown on normal pensions that are being paid out to dead people, which accounts for over 40% of total money being paid out to pensions. That's right, the government is giving free money to swathes of people because the system doesn't work. And most of these people should have stopped getting em sometime in the 70s.
Eh… 70%? o_O My mother got 50% out of a bad hip from a taxi-bicycle accident, but I imagine she was only able to work that since it was before 9/11. It's close to $1K a month and rises as she gets older, too… how does he owe? My mother had a federal student loan and still got what she has, not to mention ATM has guaranteed credit for $100K right now from the Army.

That also reminds me that my uncle was getting SSDI for HIV/AIDS + depression, and makes me worry… when he was alive my dad literally took everything he had in rent and utilties/groceries, and I wouldn't for a second hold it past him and his partner to collect on that in that case. >_>

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
70 or about that. He was already in bad shape, but after almost getting a stroke, and being decimated by the poor treatment the doctors gave him, the medicine deteriorated whatever was left of his knees, and he has severe issues with walking. He can get a block or two away from the house, but that's it. He owes enough, but that's not really the issue. The issue is that he owes it to the federal branch that would give him the pension, so its really an extortion racket by the government.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
My SSDI was about a third of my mother's VA pension, and Joey's SSDI was four times mine IIRC. (You do the math.) Jeez, 70% for that? Can barely walk? And there going to extort someone like him? What on earth?

o_o

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Well, wait, lets get it clear. I mean that he's considered 70% disabled, not getting 70% of the pension. If we're on the same wavelength, that's it yeah. He would be getting a flat rate of about 500 euros. And yep, they would do that. They want him to start paying when he can't get a job, and then he can get accepted for the tests that will confirm the disability(even if we've already gotten opinions from doctors). FFS, they've cut the pensions for quadriplegics, the blind, and even the mentally disabled. I'm not holding on to any hope from the country that's done that to people in much more severe situations. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS:
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014/07/24/ppc-power-cut-results-in-death-of-quadriplegic-woman/
Does that sound like the normal conduction of a functioning, well meaning country? NO!

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Well, wait, lets get it clear. I mean that he's considered 70% disabled, not getting 70% of the pension. If we're on the same wavelength, that's it yeah. He would be getting a flat rate of about 500 euros. And yep, they would do that. They want him to start paying when he can't get a job, and then he can get accepted for the tests that will confirm the disability(even if we've already gotten opinions from doctors). FFS, they've cut the pensions for quadriplegics, the blind, and even the mentally disabled. I'm not holding on to any hope from the country that's done that to people in much more severe situations. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS:
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014/07/24/ppc-power-cut-results-in-death-of-quadriplegic-woman/
Does that sound like the normal conduction of a functioning, well meaning country? NO!
Yeah, percentage being their arbitrary judgment of "how disabled" one is.

500€ lmao. In the US 70% would get you anywhere from $1,300 to $1,700 a month, which is around 950€ to 1,250€ roughly, depending on your dependents. That's crazy :O

Ohh, uh… wait a minute here. The rates I'm citing are from the Dept. of Veterans' Affairs. Is he with general disability (equiv. US SSDI), or military?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
General, normal run of the mill disability.
Yeah, with federal VA pensions they give no ♥♥♥♥s if/when you're employed, how much you make, when you were born, etc. The money comes every month, hell or high water. It's also irrespective of your rank/merit (as far as I can tell), at least with disabled vets.

idXAvaz.png

This is… interesting. Especially considering I've had it before. Hmm.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Wait wait wait, how are you getting a VA pension at the age of 16? I just noticed. From your dad?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Wait wait wait, how are you getting a VA pension at the age of 16? I just noticed. From your dad?
Oh, no. I got Social Security (a civilian service) whereas my mother gets a VA pension. I don't have my SSDI anymore, but my mother's getting it back when we get to South Carolina in a few days.

My dad's far from anything close to the military, bar being a federal worker for the past 15 years. In the Army my mother's NCOs would joke about how good he had it with his massive amounts of free time, marijuana, music, and his long hair + shirtless demeanor, etc. :P

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yeah I know what SS is, I was born in the states. Your parents seem to have a good thing going for em.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Uh since this conversation died....

I had a burrito suizo tonight and it was super good. Plus I got a new couch and it's badass!

Years
New couch must be pretty neat. And funny enough, my mother was talking about us needing a new couch in the living room as well.

Years
I remember like three years ago when we got rid of the couch in our living room, which was white with a floral red pattern, because my dad had been sitting on it most nights after work watching sports, so it smelled like man. Haha, sorry if that doesn't make sense. My mom got a brown couch to replace it with, and that couch does feel good when I get to snooze on it. Funny enough, we still have a green couch that we've had for years.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Even though we're moving I don't think we're going to need any furniture, at least to buy ourselves. My uncle has a really nice house and is going to let me live in the entertainment room he has, and I'll be able to put my PC screen onto a projector, have a really nice sound system, and other cool stuff. He says he has a few computers for me to work on, and I'm hoping he'll have something better than this laptop (which he gave my mother). Even a Core 2 would be nice :o

Years
New couch must be pretty neat. And funny enough, my mother was talking about us needing a new couch in the living room as well.

You should totally get a new chair instead, like those gigantic circular ones that look like a moon and swivel. I've always wanted one of those myself haha

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Out of the like half dozen people that can change the title, I'm the only one who ever does, and I don't care at all about soccer. Rest assured there will never be a soccer title by me.

inb4 andy changes it to soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back