• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Design-a-Pokémon eXtravagant!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Design-a-Pokémon eXtravaganza!

Pikachu_animated.gif
Design-a-Pokémon eXtravaganza!

kawai.gif
What is the 'Design-a-Pokémon eXtravagant'?

The Design-a-Pokémon eXtravagant is an event in which participants can design their own sort of Pokémon! They shall be deciding on their name, type, PokéDex entry, and moveset among other things. Once they are finished, they can submit their entries and hope that their creation will lead them to victory!

kawai.gif
How will this event work?

There are essentially four categories that needs to be completed before you can submit your Pokémon. These are: Primary Information, Game Data, PokéDex Data, and Learnset. If you need any help in filling up these categories, below you will find a detailed explanation of each of them.

Please take note that front and back sprites are required. We won't be judging your art by skills, as long as it conveys what you wanted your Pokemon to look like. If the sprite isn't enough to convey what you wanted to show, then a detailed description along with the sprites is recommended.

A format for submission will be provided below. Not only will this make judging easier, it can also make things look neater. Enclose your entry in a spoiler tag.

After everything has been done, all you need is to submit your Pokémon. We will be accepting your entries from the time this thread goes up until 11:59 PM September 29, 2012 (Eastern Daylight Time).

kawai.gif
How are we going to submit our entries?

To submit your entries, simply follow the following format (it's best if you follow the formatting as well) and post it in this thread inside a spoiler. Once you have posted it in this thread, it will officially be eligible for judging. One entry per person only. If your initial entry post is not complete yet, please make a new post informing us when you are done with it.

<insert non-shiny front sprite of your Pokémon here>
[b]Name[/b]:
[i]<Type 1>[/i] / [i]<Type 2>[/i]
[b]Evolution[/b]:
[b]Ability[/b]: <Ability 1> or <Ability 2>
[b]Dream World Ability[/b]:
[b]Gender Ratio[/b]: <male ratio percent> / <female ratio percent> (otherwise, put Genderless)
[b]Art and Sprites[/b]: <front sprite> <shiny front sprite> <back sprite> <shiny back sprite> <other art>

[h2]Game Data[/h2]
[b]Egg Group[/b]:
[b]Steps to Hatch[/b]:
[b]Effort Points Given[/b]:
[b]Capture Rate[/b]:
[b]Base Happiness[/b]:
[b]Growth Rate[/b]:
[b]Wild Held Item[/b]: (put none if your Pokémon has no held item in the wild)
[b]Base Stats[/b]: <HP/Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense> Total: <add up all the base stats and put the result here>

[h2]PokéDex Data[/h2]
[b]PokéDex Entry[/b]: '<place entry here>'
[b]Species[/b]:
[b]Color[/b]:
[b]Height[/b]:
[b]Weight[/b]:

[h2]Learnset[/h2]
[b]Level Up Moves[/b]:
<level> or Start | <move>

[b]Egg Moves[/b]:
(must be in alphabetical order, additionally if your Pokémon doesn't have any tutor moves put "<Pokémon's name> has no egg moves.")

[b]Tutor Moves[/b]:
(must be in alphabetical order, additionally if your Pokémon doesn't have any tutor moves put "<Pokémon's name> has no tutor moves.")

[b]Technical and Hidden Machines[/b]:
(must be in numerical order)
<insert TM number here> | <move>

If you are unsure of what to put in any of the fields, here is a run down of everything that you need to know about each specific fields:

Primary Information

Name
They say a person's name can tell you something about that person. The same applies to Pokémon! When choosing a name, try to be creative but don't go overboard with it. The names of some Pokémon are based from what they were based from. For example, Squirtle comes from 'squirrel' and 'turtle' because it looks like a turtle with a squirrel's tail.

Type
When choosing your Pokémon's type, it's best to base it off of what they look like or what their abilities are. There are also Pokémon which have two types; more commonly known as 'dual-types'. You can create your own type combinations and be creative!

Evolution
When you hear the word Pokémon, it's almost always accompanied by evolution. Being one of Pokémon's key features, giving your own Pokémon an evolution is a sure-fire way of being creative. If you want to be more creative, then you can opt out evolution! When creating evolutions, however, keep in mind a few things: is my Pokémon not strong enough that it needs a bigger, stronger form? Does my Pokémon look too strong that it may need some pre-evolutions? How is my Pokémon going to evolve, through level-up, friendship, or some tail-biting ritual? You are not required to give your Pokémon an evolution or a pre-evolution. Be creative! Don't shy away from making evolutions since you don't need to give specific details about them.

Ability
A Pokémon can have a total of two (2) abilities, each having a 50/50 chance of appearing when met in the wild. Your Pokémon's ability(ies) should correspond to their looks, basis, types, etc. For example, giving a Fire-type Swift Swim isn't really plausible idea since Fire-type moves are weakened during rain. Also, please don't be a troll and give Wonder Guard to a Pokémon without any weaknesses. Here is a list of acceptable abilities at the moment.

Dream World Ability
Dream world abilities, as their name suggests, are abilities that a Pokémon can have when encountered in the Dream World. These are still abilities that should correspond to your Pokémon, so don't go overboard.

Gender Ratio
When deciding for gender ratios, keep in mind about your Pokémon's looks (although, looks can be deceiving *cough*Machop*cough*). There are specific gender ratios to keep in mind, though. These are 50% male / 50% Female (like Pikachu), 25% male / 75% Female (such as Azurill), 75% male / 25% female (like Growlithe), 87.5% male / 12.5% female (such as Squirtle), 100% male (such as Hitmontop), 100% female (such as Blissey), or Genderless (such as Klink). Masculinity and femininity should be considered when deciding.

Art and Sprites
Perhaps the biggest part of the competition, your Pokémon's looks. Keep in mind the information that you have inputted above. Be realistic! Defensive Pokémon could have rock-hard armor, while the frail ones could look a bit skinny. This is where your creativity needs to be squeezed! Like we've said before, we won't be judging your sprite by skills so don't worry if you don't have god-like spriting skills. Front and back sprites are required. You could also make shiny sprites or other forms of art, but those are optional.

Game Data

Egg Group
There are essentially fifteen egg groups. For more information about them, see Bulbapedia's Egg group page. Your Pokémon may be a part of two (2) egg groups. If your Pokémon cannot breed, then put it in the "Undiscovered" group. If it can breed with every Pokémon, like Ditto can, put it in the "Ditto" group.

Steps to Hatch
When determining how many steps your Pokémon needs before hatching, it's best to first determine whether your Pokémon's rarity and strength. The number could range from 1,000 to 10,000 steps. Baby Pokémon also tend to have lower counts. Finding a Pokémon with similar rarity and strength as yours and copying its number of steps is usually the best way to go about this.

Effort Points Given
Different Pokémon give different EV points depending on their highest stat.. It also depends on what stage the Pokémon is. For example, Pichu gives 1 speed point while Raichu gives three speed points. There are also cases in which the Pokémon's second highest stat is considered, such as Beedrill giving 1 attack point and 1 special defense point.

Capture Rate
This is another field in which a Pokémon's strength and rarity is considered. This number can range from 0 (meaning your Pokémon cannot be caught in the wild) to 255 (almost always a successful capture). Common and weak Pokémon such as Magikarp has a capture rate of 255. It's also best to determine this by finding a similar existing Pokémon with the same strength and rarity then copying its capture rate.

Base Happiness
Happiness affects the moves Return and Frustration, some evolutions, and availability of some in-game items. This is usually 70 and the only reason of increasing that number is if your Pokémon is really friendly. There's not much point in choosing a number lower than 70, but feel free to do so if you think it accords to your Pokémon.

Growth Rate
There are six (6) growth rate groups. These are erratic, fast, medium fast, medium slow, slow, and fluctuating. The 'erratic' (like Altaria) group require the most experience in leveling up but is overall very fast, the 'fast' (like Aipom) group levels up at the same fast rate, the 'medium fast' (like Pikachu) group is pretty much like fast but slower, the 'medium slow' (like Abra) group is much like slow but faster, the 'slow' (like Abomasnow) group levels up at the same slow rate (the opposite of fast), and the 'fluctuating' (like Breloom) group is the direct opposite of the erratic group: it requires the least amount of experience but is overall very slow. Choose which best fits your Pokémon.

Wild Held Item
Wild held items, as the name suggests, are items that your Pokémon has a chance of holding when met in the wild. Most Pokémon doesn't have this, so you aren't required to give your Pokémon one either. When choosing one, however, take note of your Pokémon's habitat and choose accordingly.

Base Stats
Base stats are essentially a Pokémon's stat at level 100 without EVs, IVs, or stat enhancements. Be realistic with this, a defensive Pokémon will usually have higher defense than offense. The stats you are providing should be balanced as well, so no 100/100/100/100/100/100 stats or we will probably ignore your entry overall.

PokéDex Data

PokéDex Entry
Every Pokémon has its own Pokédex entry, making it an essential part of creating your own Pokémon. A dex entry should include unique details about your Pokémon - something that makes it stand out. Is it able to speak telepathically or is it usually found among many of the same species? Is it often used by humans to power a laboratory, or does it change color depending on the seasons? Your entry should reflect the uniqueness of your Pokémon, even if all it does is sleep (like Munchlax and Snorlax).

Species
A Pokémon's species is usually based from its original basis, such as Pikachu being based from a mouse therefore being called the "mouse Pokémon".

Color
Take a look at your Pokémon's sprite. What is its color? Figured it out yet? Great! However keep in mind that only specific colors can be chosen. These are black, blue, brown, gray, green, pink, purple, red, white, or yellow. Chose whichever is the closest.

Height
Envision your Pokémon's height. Be wild, just as long as it corresponds with your other details. It could be as huge as Wailord or as small as Rattata.

Weight
Your Pokémon's weight should correspond its descriptions. A cloud-looking Pokémon isn't going to be as heavy as a big rock, you know.

Learnset

Level-Up Moves
Each Pokémon learns at least one move, making this another essential part of creating your own Pokémon. Keep your Pokémon's special traits in mind when listing its moves. Is it a frightening Pokémon that growls to keep humans at bay? If so, a move such as Roar would be fitting! You will be required to make a full list of the moves your Pokémon can learn, including the level each move is learned at. Make sure to include the "starting" moves your Pokémon knows as soon as it is hatched or received, as those are also very important. Additionally, make sure to be creative and realistic with your movesets!

Egg Moves
These are moves your Pokémon learns from specific breeding that it cannot normally learn on its own. Again, creativity and realism is highly encouraged. If you're creating a fire type Pokémon and only making it learn fire-type egg moves, things become rather uninteresting. Try to change things up while also making sure whatever move you're giving your Pokémon makes sense for it to have (so no fire types using Water Gun, for example).

Tutor Moves
Next, we have tutor moves, which are moves a Pokémon can learn through a move tutor and not through breeding or level-up. Bulbapedia has a list of available Pokemon tutors in the games, so use that link to find appropriate moves for your Pokémon to learn. Again, be creative and realistic!

Technical and Hidden Machines
Lastly, we will move on to the TM/HM moves. TM stands for Technical Machine while HM stands for Hidden Machine. There are 95 available TMs and 6 HMs as of Black and White 2 that your Pokémon can learn, which are listed on Serebii's TM/HM page for Black and White 2. Find moves that are appropriate for your Pokémon and, of course, be creative and realistic with what you choose!

For all intents and purposes, here's an example of an entry that we will accept.

Spoiler:

kawai.gif
Will there be any prizes?

Just for participating, you will receive this grand-looking emblem!

emblem1_zps016d56f3.png

Not only that, if your Pokémon outshines the rest and places either third, second, or first, you will also receive more emblems! How these emblems look like, however, would be a secret for now so do your best!

Eligible Entries

If you cannot see your name here and you've already submitted a complete entry, double-check if you have missed something. Otherwise, contact any of the two hosts available.

Ethanoxic | vaporeon7
Speegasus | Giovanni boss
Pirasea | -ty-
Masque | deku
Caelis | Bluerang1
Terraknid | Ęℓαчиıı
Angelbird | yiliang99
Flarate | Aryan143

kawai.gif
What else do I need to know?

This event was brought to you by Cirno and Zeffy. If you have any question's don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
My entry, I hope it's okay, I suck at art. It's essentially a champagne glass filled with poison and a sharp end.
Spoiler:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I can't re-enter a Pokemon I've already designed and entered in a previous competiton right?

Since, probably not, besides I'd like to keep things fresh, I'll think up a new Pokemon. Due to time restrictions, my art will be lackluster.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Your art doesn't have to be really great, as long as it conveys what your Pokemon looks like. You still have around 3 days to finish your entries.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I have a little bit of free time, so I'll go ahead and start putting together my entry.

Spoiler:

I'm not completely finished, but I should have time to complete it later!

Last edited:

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 10, 2023
And there's my entry:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2016
my entry :D
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
@deku - looking good there buddy!

@Giovanni boss - nice work, added to participant list.

@yiliang99 - please put your entry inside a [spoiler][/spoiler] tag or else I won't be counting it as an eligible entry. Also, it would be best if you fix the spelling errors that your entry contains. The 'steps to hatch' isn't acceptable either, so please edit it accordingly.

Years
These are looking wonderful so far! :D Looking forward to see the finished entries for those of you who aren't fully done yet, as well.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
When is the end date for this? ;w;

I'm almost done with my entry, but, I don think I'll finish on time.

You have around a day more to finish your entry. We could always extend the submission period to September 30th if some of the participants haven't finished their entries yet.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Pirasea:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Your entry is looking great, -ty-! Adding it onto the participant list.

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
Finished it!

I'm sort of pleased how the back sprite came out, considering it was my first time. <3

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Here's my entry.

A little background into this; I like thinking of animals which do no have a Pokémon counterpart, and the grasshopper came to me. The grasshopper came to be because of a recent maths project I had to do based on a mathematician. I was assigned Grace Hopper, who is said to have coined the term "bug" in regards to a malfunction in a computer system. This made me make my project a grasshopper, and then I realised that grasshopper sound s like Grace Hopper. Haha. So this is how I thought up this fakémon.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Hey there guys and gals, good news! We're going to be extending the submission period to the end of the PCX, September 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm to give you time to finish your entries. Good luck!

Back