• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
I'm one to stay away from Japanese games, however high the hype may be. First and foremost I don't know Japanese so buying a game would be stupid as I wouldn't even understand it. If all Jap games were like Ni no Kuni, or translated to English and sold in England, then I would probably have a pile of them in my room somewhere.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm one to stay away from Japanese games, however high the hype may be. First and foremost I don't know Japanese so buying a game would be stupid as I wouldn't even understand it. If all Jap games were like Ni no Kuni, or translated to English and sold in England, then I would probably have a pile of them in my room somewhere.
Wait...are you talking about Japanese games or games solely in Japanese?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I tend not to read reviews, but then again I barely get things when they're release anyway, only Pokemon games which I already love so it doesn't matter much cause I'll like them no matter what. Usually I'll wait till some of my friends have it before I buy things.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I tend not to read reviews, but then again I barely get things when they're release anyway, only Pokemon games which I already love so it doesn't matter much cause I'll like them no matter what. Usually I'll wait till some of my friends have it before I buy things.
I read reviews, but only for entertainment (and as of recently, to better the writing and structure in my own reviews). I base the chance that I will buy a game on what I have experienced beforehand, such as making inferences from videos and images and through reading about features. I'm usually the guy that works as a game guide for my friends, so they don't end up buying or not buying things because "IGN said it was good/bad."

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
I was talking about both..really.

I read reviews only after I play a game, because most of time, I've found that reviews make me dislike a game because they like to pick out the bad stuff at the end of the review and it's like a bad aftertaste. Personally, I think it's better to get your own opinion on the game and see how others see the game.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
That's true (also they tend to affect your view of things, you read a lot of bad reviews for a game, you're less likely to like it), but then how do you decide what to buy?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Disregarding a game because of the region it came from is ridiculous. I am sure you mean games in Japanese however, in which case I suppose I agree for now until I progress further in Japanese classes. Literally the only game in Japanese I have is Rhythm Tengoku, but I am thinking of importing both Ouendan games and Densetsu no Starfy 3. None of these require reading to fully appreciate the game, except for maybe the latter but it's perfectly suited for someone like me because the writing is easy to understand...from what I saw, at least.

I read reviews, but I don't use them as a base for a purchase. I do read them for references, however, because they give me the information I need provided they're not factually wrong. I also read them for entertainment purposes from time to time, especially of games I'm currently playing.

I avoid reviews of AAA games though, or games that are guaranteed to have high scores just for the sake of money. For example, I wouldn't read a Halo 4 review because I already know what I'm gonna expect anyway, but I would read a Donkey Kong Jungle Climber review because it's an obscure and kind of a niche game.

That's true (also they tend to affect your view of things, you read a lot of bad reviews for a game, you're less likely to like it), but then how do you decide what to buy?
Videos, reading information on it, recommendations, trailers, impressions, etc if it's a game I'm unfamiliar about. Of course, a review provides most of these already, so I think it's best to read different reviews. I also know a forum that has impressions to note if I want a game.

If it was negative all around, then I'd avoid.

Last edited:

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
Either a game is a sequel to a game I already love, that's the case for a lot of the games I buy. When it falls to games like Ni no Kuni, you have people like Spino breathing down your back and forcing you to get it; that's when you know a game is good. I always look at screenshots and just read about a game before purchase and make sure I like it. This isn't the case with too many games since I don't really dislike many games.

I am sure you mean games in Japanese however, in which case I suppose I agree for now until I progress further in Japanese classes.
Yeah. I would never disregard a game just because of it's region, that's always a bad move.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah. I would never disregard a game just because of it's region, that's always a bad move.
A move a lot of modern western gamers seem to go with, though. Luckily, with time, Japanese games are becoming popular again over here, and the popularity of games like Ni no Kuni and Persona 4 Golden have given me hope that that line of thought will cease.

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
Ni no Kuni is the first Japanese game since a long time (except Pokemon) to be released in England locally. We don't really get much Japanese games at all, to be fair, which is a shame. I would really like to get in to JRPGs and whatnot and Ni no Kuni is a great way to start. Hopefully, Persona 4 Golden will be released here, that and Ni no Kuni are the only Japanese games at the moment to have a release date in England so I can only hope that more Japanese games will start to get released here.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
In a long time? Unless you're talking strictly JRPGs, at least Fire Emblem Awakening (technically an SRPG) and Persona 4 Golden are coming shortly enough. I'm sure there's a lot more but....I'm not informed with JRPGs.

Diurno

Ex-Pave Low
Years
Ahh, I forgot about Fire Emblem, yeah that's due for release in England here. I did mention Persona 4 Golden in my previous post. But we really don't get much Japanese games released locally in England generally.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The only time I'll base a purchase decision off a review is if it gets constant really bad reviews everywhere. For example, Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade and how it got 11/100 on Metacritic... yeah I think that's a fair sign not to buy it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Anyone like phone/tablet games? I've been playing Plague Inc. a lot lately and I just beat Clear Vision yesterday... lol. Work has been very slow!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm a huge fan of the old school Java games, but that's about it. I still have a W995 to play all the old stuff, and whatever poor releases gameloft comes out with. Its a shame that its a dead platform, kind of like the SNES after the N64. Pretty solid stuff, and I love playing the original asphalt in all its boxy glory. Otherwise, nah, never owned a smartphone, but if I do, I guess I would like em.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm more into emulating games on my phone. I gotta have my old-school Pokemon or Super Mario in there in case I get bored in class or anywhere!

Oh, and I do have Angry Birds in there as an actual smartphone game. Juuuust in case.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Talking about handhelds, I just noticed my 3DS has the screen scratches of doom. Only thing is, its not on the bottom screen. Oh no, this is something more notorious. I have 2 streaks of the exact same length on the top screen exactly where the bottom screen's plastic border is. My bottom screen is only rubbed by the stylus, but the pristine top screen is ruined forever. Not to mention it breaks the 3D a lot, ruining the magical gimmick of the console forever.
Edit: Next gen might just be a train wreck waiting to happen after all!
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
Basically, always online, no second hand games for the neXbox. Couple this rumor with the set top box rumor, and we have the worst possible situation forming up quite nicely. Have Sony do the same, and next gen is possibly gonna be the final straw. Good lord can I not wait for the meltdowns...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's a piss poor design decision by Nintendo. My 3DS has scratches as well, and while they disappear if I rub them, they get more obvious by the day, and it's quite annoying. And the worst thing? 3DS XL has the same exact problem, even after it caused a controversy with the original. Get your **** together, Nintendo.

Good god I might stick with Wii U only or get a PC next gen if Sony is doing the same. I'm done with Microsoft's awful practices.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The XL has em too? I thought they fixed em. Now I'm really concerned about Nintendo's build quality as of late. All of my consoles up until the 3DS from Nintendo have excellent build quality, nothing faulty about them. The 3DS was really piss poor in that department, and the fact that the XL doesn't do anything is quite sad.

Do remember its just a rumor, but it does seem likely that MS can do something like that. Oh and you can bet on Sony doing something equally devious, as MS isn't dumb enough to pull a stunt like that without knowing Sony is too. The risk is too great to be competing with a Sony who isn't doing those kind of moves as well, which is why I speculate Next Gen is going to be the generation that will be the generation gaming went down like the Hindenburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back