• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Demo Roms

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I know we're not allowed to ask where to find Roms since Roms are iigal. But what about demo Roms? I know Roms are against the law cause you're getting the game for free. But demos by default are free anyway. So, asking for demo Roms wouldn't be against the law. So, would it be okay to ask for demos?

Sirfetch’d

As far as I know, ROMs are illegal to distribute here period regardless if they are demos or not. If you want a demo ROM to something just simply use Google to help you find it.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
The distribution of ROMs is against the rules here on PC. The internet is a large place and it can be hard to find things sometimes, but as stated before, you can visit your friend Mr. Google.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, even if it's for a demo it's only allowed if the file was made to be freely available by the creators in the first place.

In case you're wondering about the X&Y demo btw, that's not coming out any time soon in rom form. It's on the 3DS, and nobody's been able to hack it let alone dump roms of them yet.

Sirfetch’d

Demos are made to be freely available though.

Still, as previously stated they cannot be distributed here. I know it's tough finding then through Google, but that is your only option.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
ROM is still a ROM, whether it contains a full game, being a demo or even a distribution-event ROM.
So my opinion says if you talk about downloading, or telling someone to give you and/or giving any download links might lead you to the chopping board. Ouch!

Demos are made to be freely available though.

The game-contains itself was free to the public during it was distributed as demo, but the ROM itself is not free and it belongs to the rightful owners that created them. Hope that helps you! :)

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
ROM itself is dumped distribution on the wrong console, so it cannot possibly have a good purpose in it. And I'm sure even demos are not allowed to be distributed without permission (since there are rules of re-distribution on most console games, even if free). Even then, there's not much use of distribution of a ROM around PC, since the site centers over Pokémon discussion than gaming. I would recommend Google or another search engine for this purpose, yeah.

There's also not much possibility (if at all there is) that you would find a person who has the specified ROM you're looking for here.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yeah, even if it's for a demo it's only allowed if the file was made to be freely available by the creators in the first place.

In case you're wondering about the X&Y demo btw, that's not coming out any time soon in rom form. It's on the 3DS, and nobody's been able to hack it let alone dump roms of them yet.

Yeah, uh...

Your kinda behind on that actually. While not a true hack, their have been some exploits. DS mode was hacked pretty much immediately, and the first usable 3ds exploit was shown last December. The group behind it didn't release any specific details about it, but they did have pictures showing that their exploit was real. The exploit was patched with the next firmware though.

Additionally, we've been able to dump 3DS roms since mid 2011. The first 3DS rom dump was EU version of Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. However the dumping process has been very slow, with only 372 roms dumped so far. This number isn't due to complexity of the dumping process, rather there are only a few groups dumping roms and none of them are that eager to share their methods with other groups.

Also, the first flashcart for the 3DS was released mid last month. Right now it's limited to 3DS's running FW 4.5, however the flashcart supports firmware spoofing for 5.1 and bypasses the region lock. It doesn't support spoofing to higher versions yet, since none of the currently dumped games require anything higher.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
True, there was some work, but as you've said firmware patches have been in place. I more meant information within the games code isn't known, as least to my knowledge.

I've read about a flashcart for 3ds games that was released was already blocked by firmware too? I didn't think that we should expect any X&Y roms to be floating around, was more the point of my post.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Firmware blocking out flashcards only affects those who update their firmware. If you have the cart, your not going to be updating the firmware so any 'blocking' that Nintendo does is pretty much a moot point since it's not really going to prevent the card from being used. That and the still relatively high numbers of older 3DS's avaliable on store shelves, which have the firmware that the flashcard can run on.

As for the roms, they will be available soon after the games release. Game as popular as this? Will be dumped very quickly after release. Them being playable depends on what firmware the rom contains, and how long it takes Gateway to update their cards firmware spoofing feature if the game uses newer firmware.

Years
There's no way for you to *find* a demo ROM legally. ROMs aren't something that are distributed officially/legally, whether they're ROMs of demo games or full-length games. So even if a demo is meant to be distributed freely to the public, a ROM of such demo is not intended for release of any form.
So in short, asking for a ROM of a demo is no different to asking for a ROM of a full game: a ROM is a ROM, and unless you dump it yourself from a software title you purchased, it's illegal for you to have it (basically).

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms

Do not distribute illegal content. (4 pts / 4 mths)
The community does not allow discussion of illegal materials - this includes the unauthorized distribution of TV shows, movies, video games (including video game disc or ROM images), music, or software. You may not discuss how to obtain these materials, upload them to the PokéCommunity, or link to other web sites containing these materials.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6446812

Nintendo's policy on ROMs is clear, as is ours. Regardless of their content or if they're a demo or not, we will not be allowing the request or distribution of ROMs. Even if you own the game or can own it for free (i.e. demos). Whatever the technicalities of how Nintendo chooses to distribute their software, you cannot reproduce copyrighted work and use it in the form of a ROM by law. There's no discussion on this to be had here.

Back