• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Project 001

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2008
Program: RPGXP, starterkit poccil
Language: English

CODENAME POKEMON PROJECT 001

Introduction:
growlithe2nl2.png

We all remember the Anime. We've grown up with it. For years I've tried to combine this with Pokémon games, but I've never succeeded. Sadly, because I think a good RPG needs a good story. Current Pokémon games lacked that terribly. All you did was fight, catch Pokémon and sometimes follow events. I'm gonna try again, and this time I will succeed. Thanks to poccil's starterkit, basically.

Plot:
growlithe2nl2.png

You are a boy from, surprise, Pallet Town. Finally you get to meet Professor Oak to get your very first Pokémon. Unfortunately you're late, and your biggest rival (Ferno Oak) sure knows how to make that clear. While frustrated by your rival's attitude, you're happy Oak takes you to his lab. You're too late though, all Pokémon are gone... except for one.

No, it's not Pikachu. In this game, Growlithe will be your best friend. A shiny Growlithe, that's to say. This Growlithe is a very special Pokemon. Though he starts off just as stubborn as Pikachu did in the Anime. Fighting is a no no for him. While you need to catch Pokémon by yourself, you anger a Shroomish, leading to a chase by a whole swirm.

In all the chaos, you decide to jump in the river. How that affects your Growlithe is left unclear.

Through the rest of the game, you go through all original RED/BLUE Pokémon towns and meet many characters from the Anime (though sometimes renamed/redesigned), but also original ones. In summary, the plot is close to the anime, and You want to become the biggest Pokémon Master in the world.

But not before you dealt with Ferno once and for all.

Visuals:
growlithe2nl2.png

A few screenies and an updated version on YouTube.

screen1.png
screen2.png
screen3.png

screen4.png
screen6.png
screen5.png

screen7.png
screen8.png
screen9.png

screen10.png

NEW SCREENS
Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFKRVfKpgBI

Trivia:
- Jaws and Cruella are obviously based on Jesse and James. Mind you, Jaws and Cruella are not their real names. They'll reveal their real names later on.
- The design of Jaws and Cruella will change. Right now they're Galactic sprites, but I'll edit them soon. Their battle sprites are already finished.
- Most songs will be from the Animé Sound Collection and from the SSBrawl Soundtrack, as they offer superior versions of the well-known Pokémon melodies. I have cut and edited them so they loop solidly through the game.
- The player is OBVIOUSLY not in his pyjama's even though Oak apparently notices them. This is because of the Animé converstation. It will be removed when I remember it while working on the game...
- Ferno will be VERY annoying, just like Gary in the Animé.
- Marly is Animé's Misty. Her design will change.
- I chose Growlithe as the starter Pokémon because I see dogs as men's best friend. And since Growlithe is clearly a dog (or wolf type), he seems to be the best fit. There are enough Pikachu games.
- Animations will be a lot better. For example the Pokémon intro/outro animation (pokeball) and the jump->splash animation.

Last edited:
Years
When talking to Marly in the Pokemon Center she says catched rather than caught. I watched the whole video, I am a bit tired at the moment, but that's the only error I seen in the whole thing. I like that it has a story along with the battling.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
All the eventing is superb. This looks like it is going to be a really good game. I've never known how you put animations onto the overworld like you did with the sleeping Growlithe. Help?

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
Years
Wow this game looks awesome i love the animation on the overworlds nice this game will go far i can tell. :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for all your responses so far! Especially because I've been awake all night because I've been working too much on this game and couldnt fall asleep, lol. All those stupid melodies kept playing in my head, ARGHHH!

When talking to Marly in the Pokemon Center she says catched rather than caught. I watched the whole video, I am a bit tired at the moment, but that's the only error I seen in the whole thing. I like that it has a story along with the battling.
I'll fix that right away.

There are some visual issues I have to change too, for example the entering in Viridian City where it first seems that the ??? (that later turns out to be Jenny) also seems to say to the player to be careful (which turns out to be Marly). Little tweaks to make it more solid. (Same for Marly asking the player his name. I now made her look sideways first before she dares to ask him that question. More realistic)

All the eventing is superb. This looks like it is going to be a really good game. I've never known how you put animations onto the overworld like you did with the sleeping Growlithe. Help?
Trust me, I've been struggling for years until I figured this out. (Im from the RPGMaker95 era!)

Basically, you have one row in the Character Sprite with that animation, and select that for the event. Then just keep it Fixed (not moving) and select the Stop Animation (meaning the sprite is animated with the row you just animated, even though he doesnt walk through the screen)

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2011
all i'm going to say is; nif you're going to use FR/LG tilesets then don't use D/P/Pt Charsets. they don't really go together well, especially in the pokemon center

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
May I ask where you got that music from? It's spectacular and really adds the mood to the game.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2008
all i'm going to say is; nif you're going to use FR/LG tilesets then don't use D/P/Pt Charsets. they don't really go together well, especially in the pokemon center
I disagree. They look brilliant together IMO.

I never noticed how amazing DP Overworlds looked in a FR/LG Style World.
Amen.

May I ask where you got that music from? It's spectacular and really adds the mood to the game.
The Animé OST Collections. I know, great renditions of the songs, right?

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2008
I don't have a website for this game (yet) . Until there is one, just check this forum for updates.

Progress Report:
- Viridian City 1st Visit #FINISHED#
- Viridian Forest #ALMOST FINISHED#
- Many battle animations added

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
Years
Your maps aren't too cluttered or spacious, your text is practically typo-free, and the game is pretty funny. I like how the main character has to rush to the lab and there's a bunch of people in his way. :P Also, I laughed out loud at "That's Mister Ferno. Show some respect."

When he goes to the Pokemon Center, the nurse says that Growlithe can't resist water... Do you mean he can't stand it? Also, intoxicated starts with an i, not an e. But other than that, the game looks really good!

.Scream

Professor
Years
Looks good so far. I like the sound of a Growlithe, but why shiny? I hope you work on this alot and try to complete it. =]

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I like your story man. Had a watch of the video, kept me interested the whole way.
The shadows are a nice touch. They make your game look different. But you should refine the shadows script. Only the main character has one- and if there is more then one "light source" - he gets 4 shadows- which just wouldn't happen. He'd have none lol.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2008
Your maps aren't too cluttered or spacious, your text is practically typo-free, and the game is pretty funny. I like how the main character has to rush to the lab and there's a bunch of people in his way.
Lol yeah, I needed the main character to hurry, and figured that in reallife, at that kind of times, there are ALWAYS people in the way, blocking your path.

Also, I laughed out loud at "That's Mister Ferno. Show some respect."
Good, I like that. :)

When he goes to the Pokemon Center, the nurse says that Growlithe can't resist water... Do you mean he can't stand it?
Yeah, in the whole event programming, I didnt keep enough attention to the dialogue I guess. Every time I replay from the start I find stuff I want to change in the dialogue, lol. Nice one though, Ill change it right away.

What it means is that the main hero had to escape the swirm of Pokémon and had to escape through the river. Since Growlithe and the main hero werent particularly close, they needed something terrible to happen before everything would be o k between them. Thus the whole Growlithe cant stand water, which of course makes sense, as fire Pokémon cant stand water.

Also, intoxicated starts with an i, not an e. But other than that, the game looks really good!
I need people like you with a close eye, so continue on with the critique, I overlook this kind of stuff.

Thanks.

Looks good so far. I like the sound of a Growlithe, but why shiny? I hope you work on this alot and try to complete it. =]
Why shiny. Well basically the main character needs a Pokémon that is special. Im not sure if Im gonna keep the shiny part in actually, but right now, it makes enough sense. Who knows, maybe in the end its just their friendship that makes Growlithe important.

I have a lot of funny scenes in mind, for example with Jenny and her Growlithe and how that plays out. Since every town has a Jenny, and every Jenny has a Growlithe... that can be interesting...

I really like working on this, but Im also busy with my career as a journalist, so I will need some assistance...

I like your story man. Had a watch of the video, kept me interested the whole way.
The shadows are a nice touch. They make your game look different. But you should refine the shadows script. Only the main character has one- and if there is more then one "light source" - he gets 4 shadows- which just wouldn't happen. He'd have none lol.
Yeah I know. Right now I gave every character the same shadow script, but like you said, they then have 4 shadows. Which looks weird and kind of irrating to the eye.

Im no scripter unfortunately, so I would have no idea how to fix that...

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
Years
Ooh, I was wondering what that stuff was around him in the city... I thought it was smoke coming off the Growlithe because he jumped in the water xD

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I don't use RMXP, so I couldn't tell ya how to fix it exactly. But I'm sure you could do something like....
turn on a switch when hes in a light source, like when he(character) enters it, then have a branch to see if the switch is on- and if it is, don't show another shadow. Then when he is out of the light, turn the switch off.

Back