• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon TCG e-game?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, it is just hard to take someone serious when they make bolded text and "!'s"

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, it is just hard to take someone serious when they make bolded text and "!'s"

Ahem...Yes well, hence the "[/rant]" psuedotag at the end. I was trying to make it clear that I was only being semi-serious. Still, I'll forgive you if you'll forgive me. Friends?

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
Yes, thank you. You have caught my meaning exactly.
Really though, I think the flaws in GX Duel Academy were greater infractions though. There were instances of cards doing things that either were not a part of their text, or in some cases having effects that directly contradicted the text of the card.

While it is certainly possible to make an AI that will play realistically, there are some problems in doing so. First, is the detail in coding required. Second, to make good use of an AI that does not cheat, you will actually need several AI, each designed to represent a different play style, or you will have to bloat the one main AI with so many conditional modifiers to its play that you all but guarantee that it will be riddled with glitches. Third, to make the hard opponents progressively harder either requires making "champions" with laughably underpowered decks, sticking the player with ridiculous constraints and disadvantages, overpowering the decks of later players in a way that would never be possible in real life, or allowing the computer to cheat after all.

However, if all of this can be overcome. If the game can possess an Intelligence that is both fair and challenging. If, above all else, you can make the game enjoyable...well, you'll have done something that corporate designers still haven't quite managed. So, good luck.

Well, I certainly think that this puts things into perspective. Really, it is true that I have never seen a card game that has been translated into a virtual game, and that can still function like a real-world game. On the other hand, there are games of similar subjects that can work. For example, Baten Kaitos has a card-based battle system (although laughably underpowered), as do many other games, some of which are somewhat old. I believe the secret to doing a card-based sytem that works is that the rules can't be nearly as complex as that of Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think that if there was some way to simplify the card game without removing the heart, that it would make the AI much easier to do. Just a thought.

DarknessMonkey

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 27, 2009
I very much so like this idea. :]
I've been thinking of trying to make a TCG based game for RM2k3 / XP for a very long time and while everything like mapping and importing the cards into the system is relatively simple, the programming of the AI is hard.

I think it can be done and I wish it could be, because I loved the old game for the GBC and I think with an update and fresh look it could really be popular. I would help if I could code and I really wish I could, but you have my support for this. I have ideas, but my skills are far too undeveloped I guess.

I wish you good luck!

Back