Discussions & Debates Have a seat at Discussions & Debates for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Draconius GO

Old April 5th, 2017 (11:18 PM).
Forest's Curse
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetGreen View Post
no government has no right, i think it's personal issue
Could you go into more detail please?

PHANTUMP

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 6th, 2017 (2:36 AM).
Fairy-type Fanatic

I really don't think there's a definite answer on this one. Although some countries may find themselves in a desperate need to control population growth, there are always negative consequences to doing so. I know that in China, many girls were orphaned by parents who wanted baby boys as a result of the one-child policy.
    Old April 8th, 2017 (7:18 PM).
    Honor & Glory
    • Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
    Could you go into more detail please?
    He can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he's referring to what Bad Sheep and Maple Leaf were talking prior to his point - i.e. abortion - in which the statement is about the choice for abortions being from the individual, not controlled by the government.
    Old April 8th, 2017 (10:49 PM).
    Forest's Curse
    • Platinum Tier
    • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Isn't there a huge lack of females going on in Asia because of this and is causing its own problems?
    I would argue that's more a result of their culture than directly the fault of population control methods.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by El Héroe Oscuro View Post
    He can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he's referring to what Bad Sheep and Maple Leaf were talking prior to his point - i.e. abortion - in which the statement is about the choice for abortions being from the individual, not controlled by the government.
    Probably. I would think though that keeping the population safe and healthy is very much the responsibility of the government.

PHANTUMP

Old April 9th, 2017 (4:04 AM).
    Forest's Curse
    • Platinum Tier
    • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
    I was referring to the 1 child per household law tho. I read somewhere that India is dealing with a similar issue in some places but I can't find the link. Of course it's cultural, male children are more valuable in most cultures, but as a result I think there's about 33 million more men then women as of 2014 there. When it comes to the sex coin flip medically speaking for every 100 females 107 males are born. So there's no reason other then the obvious why those numbers are so lopsided.
    I can't argue with that.

PHANTUMP

Old April 9th, 2017 (4:59 AM).
    Honor & Glory
    • Platinum Tier

Quote:
    I was referring to the 1 child per household law tho. I read somewhere that India is dealing with a similar issue in some places but I can't find the link. Of course it's cultural, male children are more valuable in most cultures, but as a result I think there's about 33 million more men then women as of 2014 there. When it comes to the sex coin flip medically speaking for every 100 females 107 males are born. So there's no reason other then the obvious why those numbers are so lopsided.
    Wasn't that ended in 2015 though? At least China ended that policy then I believe.
    Old April 9th, 2017 (6:56 AM).
    Skip to my loo(m)
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
    Outside of encouraging safe sex practices, especially use of contraception, there isn't much that a government can do to curb population growth without some rather sinister adverse effects. In particular the one child policy in China is something I considered a complete abomination. It's good that it's been ended but we can still study the effects. There was a mathematical anomaly in the number of male births reported compared to the number of female births. Basic biology should tell us this is 50-50, but we can see on page 27 of this article that this isn't the case. What, exactly, is happening with these "missing females"? Best case scenario is that they simply aren't being registered with the Chinese government, which still presents some hurdles for the parents of these young girls. However, in some cases, it would be naive to assume that something more perverse couldn't be happening. It's also important to note that, according to the same article, many theorize that the imbalance in the sex ratio, particularly in more remote provinces, could be driving a rise in sex-related crimes against women. To me it's incredibly sick to expose the women of China to such an oppressive and dangerous environment simply to curb overpopulation; while it certainly is an issue in China, overpopulation is much, much worse in South Asia and Southeast Asia (think India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.). China still maintains an economy and a standard of living that, while developing, are above average for the region.

What can be done? It's hard to say. Any intervention against global overpopulation has been proven inhumane and ineffective. For one, it promotes eugenics. How do we determine who deserves to have children and who doesn't? Eventually, the human population will reach its carrying capacity. It's a horrifying thought, because it means that most new births will place people in living situations that are so poor that they can't sustain their own existence. The best thing that can be done is to dilute political power at the very top of the global economy and attempt to redistribute resources to people who are suffering all over the world. Ruling out a revolution would, at this point, be silly.
    Old April 9th, 2017 (6:57 AM).
    Honor & Glory
    • Platinum Tier

Quote:
    Yes but it doesn't matter, it's effects are going to hang around for more then a while. That's a huge imbalance that won't fix itself for a bit. I think it would be fair to chalk it up to an unforeseen consequence of the law and culture but it is one to take into account when discussing these things.
    Oh mot definitely, I agree with the fact that it is going to have consequences on the population out there. I was just trying to confirm my thought process of it still existed. Yes, it's going to damage the ratio out there, but at least the policy was upturned.
    Old April 10th, 2017 (7:58 AM).
    Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    • Platinum Tier

I see population control as the one singular aspect of life where the government should have the right to restrict the freedoms of its populace. It has gotten to a point now where it's probably too late to save what's left of the Earth because it has become clear that the human race is incapable of overcoming the base urge to procreate. If they can't make a simple conscious decision to override the programming of their biological clocks, then somebody has to step in and make that decision for them.

I don't like the idea of the government controlling its people like this, but there's simply too much at stake. Everything is at stake, really.

I get increasingly frustrated with people's inability to understand that their choices are "don't procreate" or "live to see the apocalypse." When I try to talk to people about it, the most common response I run into is "...but I want children," as though nothing I've said can register through their single-mindedness. If it comes to it, I'm absolutely comfortable with any government deeming them unfit to make their own reproductive decisions.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old April 27th, 2017 (1:03 AM).
    VLONE coming soon

Nature: Relaxed
      Well... If you you want my honest opinion.. It doesn't really matter if it were to happen.. I mean, if we keep using the resources the way we use them, we'll run out and cause nature to die and it's apocalypse by then. We're psyducked either way, unless we change the way we live which is impossible because a vast majority of the population drive vehicles that require fuel which puts toxic vapors in the air, and most can't afford an economical car!! Funny how this game works right? Or, the dumping of fuel into the ocean?? Yeah, we can't forget about that. That's just one of the many problems.

As to would they? I'm not sure.. Who knows what their true agenda is behind closed doors??
      Old April 27th, 2017 (1:21 AM).
      I was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
        Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
        Well... If you you want my honest opinion.. It doesn't really matter if it were to happen.. I mean, if we keep using the resources the way we use them, we'll run out and cause nature to die and it's apocalypse by then. We're ****ed either way, unless we change the way we live which is impossible because a vast majority of the population drive vehicles that require fuel which puts toxic vapors in the air, and most can't afford an economical car!! Funny how this game works right? Or, the dumping of fuel into the ocean?? Yeah, we can't forget about that. That's just one of the many problems.

As to would they? I'm not sure.. Who knows what their true agenda is behind closed doors??
        This is the bleakest and most real post here. He's right. Even if there was less of us, our lifestyle will still be our end.
        Old April 27th, 2017 (11:53 AM).
        VLONE coming soon

And to mention.. If they were to go through with a depopulation tactic, anybody making 6 figure income and more are basically safe, the rest will be removed from the planet. Depopulation would remove those that can't support themselves, those that leech off others to support themselves, those that barely get by but support themselves, and those that are successful and rich but not "wealthy". Hell, even families that make hundred's of thousands would be killed. Really, it's all a money game and who's the most fortunate as to whether they would survive or not.

The real question is... Is if they were to do something like depopulating the planet, how would they approach it? Deadly gas in the air? radiation? Militias gunning us down? Camps? Nuke?
          Old April 28th, 2017 (2:51 AM).
          Forest's Curse
          • Platinum Tier
          • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
          And to mention.. If they were to go through with a depopulation tactic, anybody making 6 figure income and more are basically safe, the rest will be removed from the planet. Depopulation would remove those that can't support themselves, those that leech off others to support themselves, those that barely get by but support themselves, and those that are successful and rich but not "wealthy". Hell, even families that make hundred's of thousands would be killed. Really, it's all a money game and who's the most fortunate as to whether they would survive or not.

The real question is... Is if they were to do something like depopulating the planet, how would they approach it? Deadly gas in the air? radiation? Militias gunning us down? Camps? Nuke?
          When people are talking about population control, they usually don't mean genocide.

PHANTUMP

Old April 28th, 2017 (11:19 AM).
          VLONE coming soon

Quote:
            When people are talking about population control, they usually don't mean genocide.
            So they would do some crazy muk like China? I mean we could start killing infants, they do that for population control...
            At this point now, population control would most likely result to genocide given the billions we have on this planet. Or post apocalyptic war with ourselves until the population drops enough. Then they could maintain the population. But really, all it would do is make it easier for those in power to control the remaining population. Nothing would change, other than a strict surveillance of society since the remaining would be easier to track.
            Old April 28th, 2017 (11:41 AM).
            Forest's Curse
            • Platinum Tier
            • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
            So they would do some crazy muk like China? I mean we could start killing infants, they do that for population control...
            ...What?
            I'd love to see a source showing that the Chinese government was actively killing babies.

Quote:
            At this point now, population control would most likely result to genocide given the billions we have on this planet. Or post apocalyptic war with ourselves until the population drops enough. Then they could maintain the population. But really, all it would do is make it easier for those in power to control the remaining population. Nothing would change, other than a strict surveillance of society since the remaining would be easier to track.
            At this point now, population control would probably be the same thing it always is. A legal limit on the number of children a family can have and/or better sex education and access to birth control. The majority of governments also are not evil entities seeking to enslave the population - even the US government which is arguably the worst it's been since pre-Lincoln times isn't doing anything that crazy.

You don't live in a dystopian movie. Nobody is going to start wars for population control or anything like that.

PHANTUMP

Old April 28th, 2017 (12:56 PM).
            VLONE coming soon

Quote:
              ...What?
              I'd love to see a source showing that the Chinese government was actively killing babies.
              They used to do it but it was outlawed by the government in 1993 I believe. It used to be a policy for population control.

You should really study your history.

Quote:
              You don't live in a dystopian movie. Nobody is going to start wars for population control or anything like that.
              Never said I was and never said they did. Again proving no valid point.
              I was just saying if it were to happen..
              Why have a thread about population control and not have the idea of a government pushing for it if they pleased?
              Just because I say "we're psyducked" either way, doesn't mean I'm saying they're gonna kill us. It means no matter what, if we don't change our lifestyles over time mankind will doom it's planet. Seriously, if we continue at this increasing rate eventually our resources will run out. In our lifetime? No. But it would eventually happen.
              So population control would just slow down the process.
              Old April 28th, 2017 (5:48 PM).
              naughty biscotti
              • Crystal Tier

Quote:
              They used to do it but it was outlawed by the government in 1993 I believe. It used to be a policy for population control.

You should really study your history.
              Uhh...

Source? Especially before you start telling people to study "their" history.
              Old April 30th, 2017 (1:07 AM).
              Oro.........?
              • Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
              I think government has an important role to actually handle the population growth. Too many growth will cause over population and too less birth rate will cause the country to have more senior citizens and less productive teenage and future generation citizens. The imbalance of population can lead to serious consequences in terms of economic growth ,supply and demand balance, etc.

So far, there are countries that have been enacted policies for controlling or encouraging population growth such as "One child per family" policy in China and Japan who also trying to encouraging the male and females to get mated for giving birth more children.

In the end, ethical issue might be still a thing but I think the government had to sacrifice it to save the population from getting overgrow or shrink.
              Old April 30th, 2017 (6:29 PM).
              Vampire Waifu

Quote:
                Originally Posted by killer-curry View Post
                So far, there are countries that have been enacted policies for controlling or encouraging population growth such as "One child per family" policy in China and Japan who also trying to encouraging the male and females to get mated for giving birth more children.
                Well according to Yuta, the low birth rates in Japan aren't really a huge deal due to how overpopulated the country is.
                Old May 1st, 2017 (1:11 PM).
                naughty biscotti
                • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                Well according to Yuta, the low birth rates in Japan aren't really a huge deal due to how overpopulated the country is.
                I really don't think that's what the video said. Basically it's point was that CNN misrepresented a Japanese government report that 40% of Japanese are virgins where the report actually said 40% of single people in Japan are virgins - which is a lot more understandable.

I don't know if population control is necessary in most parts of the world. Maybe in Africa, where population growth rates are still high.
                Old May 2nd, 2017 (3:41 PM).
                Oro.........?
                • Silver Tier

Africa is in quite undeveloped country, they cant really manage well their population growth. The majority people over there are in poverty, unemployed and some are even having food issue. Also, overpopulation in undeveloped countries causing the possible migration of people to some countries which are quite developed and they staying there to work because in their own countries job become more scarce and low paying.

In Malaysia, the population of the foreign workers is more than the population of the third major race, Indian. Besides, these workers are mostly come from Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, some even from Africa and many more.

In the end, Overpopulation still a great issue for undeveloped countries besides the possible migration of people oversea to find a better job, the food and goods are also getting more demand and the supply depletes more than they can produce in the country, and will cause malnutrition in some area.
                Old May 14th, 2017 (3:56 AM).

You should only think about the Ethic when the choice you are given does not have a big importance.
                  A massive growth of population is unsustainable, so, unless we rapidly get new technology to be able to colonize space, we will have to stabilize population, some people think it will happen naturally, I hope so, but if it doesn't happen, we will have to do something, and thinking ethic here is irrelevant.
                  Old May 14th, 2017 (5:54 PM).
                  My daddy's got a tazor.

Nature: Naive
                    So as far as ways to stabilize population growth, my idea to put birth control in the water, and only the financially stable people that can afford to buy normal water, can then reproduce, didn't go well with anyone else...
                    Overpopulation is still only a problem for countries going through the 2nd phase of development, but it usually stabilizes. But, I wonder if the world can handle the overpopulation of many African countries at once.

Quick Reply