• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you train any Pokemon or would you only use your favourites?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I'm not a conpetitive battler, but I still know the basics. I don't bither EV trainjng in game so until I make a competitve team I doubt I will. A lot of my team is based of favorites(oh my gosh Clefairy's in this game?!) or handed to me Pokemon.(it feels wrong to drop off the Togepi egg in the PC or not take the elemental monkeys)

If I were an actual trainer, I'd prefer Pokemon Adventures style battles. Not bashing the anime, I just prefer the battle style in that manga. :3
My team might be someting like: Raichu, Eeveelution, Zoroark, Clefable, Any random Starter, and Crobat. 'w'

Years
To be perfectly honest, as far as the games go, as long as the Pokemon that I plan to use has a typing that's beneficial to my team, I have no problem using it. Sure, there are some Pokemon that I favor over others, but it never hurts to mix things up once and a while.

If it were real life though, I'd probably be more picky about the Pokemon that I use. For example, I've used Parasect in the games a number of times, but the chances of me using one outside of that is slim to none. Knowing of Parasect's biology, I'd find it hard to be around, and wouldn't really consider owning one. There are plenty of other Pokemon that I just wouldn't want on my team either, but I might find them perfectly useful when it comes to the games.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Why not both? I dabble in a tad bit of both. I like Weezing, I use Weezing. Weezing is great defensively and great at trumping it's type disadvantages.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
I'd use all of the pokemon I captured, and I would probably feel bad if I had to send any to the PC, honestly.
I would try to hunt down a Sentret, though <3

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Most of the time, I use my favorite Pokémon to train, even though on occasion I would add one of the other Pokémon that I got to train along with them.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
I usually consider design rather than power most of the time. A lot of the time Pokemon I find attractive are weak, or vice versa.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
When I play competitive, I obviously only use the OP pokemon. But when I lay for fun, I specially choose my 6 pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 10, 2015
I like to use my favorites in competitive even if it's really difficult sometimes.

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
Years
I am not really much of a competitive battler myself - I always found it more stressful than fun. The Steel type is my favourite, and I am partial to using mostly or only Steel types in-game - on OR, I have two different teams made entirely of Steel types. I am careful about training them, and I do give them the best I am capable of. When I have battles against my friends or my little sister, I am usually able to win fairly easily. What is important to me, and what makes playing Pokemon fun for me, is being able to train, bond with, and win with my favourite Pokemon.

Tricko

Developing Pokémon Dark Leaf
Years
I always caught the pokemon which I like...I thought catching all pokemon and storing them in PC is terrible..

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't always put much thought as to what Pokémon I wind up training, really.

In-game, I tend to rely on things that make battling and getting through events easier, and not those that are my favorite; if I feel I've captured something which would benefit my team as a whole, I'd instantly begin training the Pokémon and try having it become more grown.

As for favorites, I use them, too, but don't necessarily go out of my way to have them included on my party and whatnot. If I've managed to get a hold of them, that's great, but if not, it won't bother me.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
my teams mostly consist of a few favorites of mine, and a few stronger ones, although i always pay attention to the design. i usually try to keep my team balanced too; i make sure to have different types.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
If I can use only favorites, I'll do it. I use always my favorites when I can use, but usually only one in the party for balance. I don't do (also can't do) any link battle or trade, so I have to enjoy only from in-games. So... For the story, I have to use anything what I can found in the game, but after the hall of fame, I start to move my pokemons from other generations. And yes, designs matter.

And my favorite is Porygon... And the Leafgreen and Soulsilver... (Sigh)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I try to have every type covered on my team, so I end up using favorites from certain types.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
In-game, I use the pokemon I like the best regardless of stats. However, I try to keep a balanced team. Competitively, I prefer to use my favorites, but I usually opt for what pokemon works best for my play style and team.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I would say that I like Pokemon that fit into both fields, Favorite and Power.
However I would say I prefer to work with Pokemon I like and try to find ways to make them powerful. I'm convinced any Pokemon has the potential to be competitive viable, you just have to work hard to get those Pokemon to be on the level of the competitive format. You just really have to want it, and you have to know the competitive format well enough to make it work.

That being said, I prefer using Pokemon I like over Pokemon that are obviously competitively powerful. I like the challenge, I like how using Pokemon that are considered to be not powerful can be useful if you just know the metagame and know how to keep the common threats in check. Sometimes unpopular Pokemon are good at scaring and confusing opponents into making misplays.
So I do prefer to play with my favorite Pokemon no matter how competitively viable they are.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
If I absolutely hate the Pokémon I won't use it no matter how hard I need it (in a competitive team for example). In-game I only go for Pokémon I like but competitive I don't mind going for ones I don't think much about.

Back