The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2013 (1:01 PM).
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Nature: Jolly
Just remove the level script since you won't need it. It shouldn't be used by the game because if it was you would be a boy in your house also. The fact that it's only on pallet town means it isn't used by the game engine.
Also, I have another question other than the ASM question from yesterday.
Everytime my pokédex fills up to complete I turn into a voltorb OW. The menus also are transparent, so any reason why?

Support me at my site!
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 1st, 2013 (3:10 PM). Edited June 1st, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArthurWaine View Post
    Hey Guys, Arthur here! I just came upon something curious the other day, and was hoping someone here could explain things to me. You see, I used variable 0x4200 through 0x4205 or so (assuming that it wasn't used for anything, as it's not listed in this list) with JPAN's Hacked Engine applied through the tool as the variable for the hero ow switch. However, upon exiting the player's house in Pallet Town, the Hero's OW changed to that of a small boy. I double checked, and I am pretty certain that the var is not set by anything in Pallet Town. Also, it doesn't happen as long as I stay in the Player's house.

So, in short, should I not be using vars in that area, or is it something quirky about the hacked engine? Note that the latter is an issue I've encountered before on several of the other functions (mostly on my own hack, though: most of those I did not have with a clean FR), if that's of any help.

Would be great if anyone could help me out, thanks guys!
    Did you even read anything besides the list? DavidJCobb and I clearly stated that only 4011-40FF was safe. It was also very clear that just because it isn't on the list doesn't mean it isn't safe. -_-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
    Just remove the level script since you won't need it. It shouldn't be used by the game because if it was you would be a boy in your house also. The fact that it's only on pallet town means it isn't used by the game engine.
    Also, I have another question other than the ASM question from yesterday.
    Everytime my pokédex fills up to complete I turn into a voltorb OW. The menus also are transparent, so any reason why?
    Do not remove the level script. It is there for a reason.

Paired with Simba
    Old June 1st, 2013 (7:16 PM).

My question is does there exist a type of script that would replace one map with another. For example, if a natural disaster were to happen to a certain town or an invasion or something else of that sort, would it be possible to have a flag or something control map replacement? Also if that were possible, does anyone know if there are any tutorials/guides that include that or if there are any existing scripts in games that do a similar thing that I could decompile to look at.
      Old June 1st, 2013 (7:25 PM).
      Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by kablam View Post
        My question is does there exist a type of script that would replace one map with another. For example, if a natural disaster were to happen to a certain town or an invasion or something else of that sort, would it be possible to have a flag or something control map replacement? Also if that were possible, does anyone know if there are any tutorials/guides that include that or if there are any existing scripts in games that do a similar thing that I could decompile to look at.
        ...No. In order to change what a single map looks like in-game, you would have to use a "setmaptile" script. You would use the "setmaptile" command for every single tile on the map in order to change things up. It would be a long, tedious process, but it would definitely have some really cool outcomes.
        Old June 1st, 2013 (8:15 PM).

Hey guys, I've been having some problems with advance map for fire red. Lately when I click on maps it says report out of memory and freezes. What does that mean exactly? Does anyone know?
          Old June 1st, 2013 (8:34 PM).

Nature: Sassy
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
          Hey guys, I've been having some problems with advance map for fire red. Lately when I click on maps it says report out of memory and freezes. What does that mean exactly? Does anyone know?
          What version of Advance Map are you using?
          Old June 1st, 2013 (8:52 PM).
          Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
            Originally Posted by kablam View Post
            Yes... I think.

Have the two maps made (separately and inserted somewhere) . Now go to the map you want to change after an event, navigate to the header tab, and press ctrl+H. Now you can see the map data.

Look at the map offset. Mine is 71C04C. Now look at the map footer. There are all these bytes and in the middle of the string is your offset in reverse hex. 4C C0 71 08. That's the pointer for your map.... Now if you replaced this with your new maps pointer in reverse hex, ideally this should work.

The command to set bytes in a script is 'writebytetooffset'. I haven't dealt with it yet but I assume it works. You will need to write 3 new bytes.

Also if it isn't a town or something with connections, a script can warp to separate maps with variables and flags set.
            Old June 2nd, 2013 (1:23 AM).
            Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
              New Questions!

1) Is it possible to make a giveitem event but not have it show a message?
              Just use "additem". This is exactly what that scripting command is for!

Code:
              additem ITEM_ID NUMBER_OF_ITEMS
              Simples! Also, FYI, giveitem is like msgbox in scripting. It's not actually a command, but a combination of commands which achieves the given effect.
              Old June 2nd, 2013 (4:59 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
                Yes... I think.

Have the two maps made (separately and inserted somewhere) . Now go to the map you want to change after an event, navigate to the header tab, and press ctrl+H. Now you can see the map data.

Look at the map offset. Mine is 71C04C. Now look at the map footer. There are all these bytes and in the middle of the string is your offset in reverse hex. 4C C0 71 08. That's the pointer for your map.... Now if you replaced this with your new maps pointer in reverse hex, ideally this should work.

The command to set bytes in a script is 'writebytetooffset'. I haven't dealt with it yet but I assume it works. You will need to write 3 new bytes.

Also if it isn't a town or something with connections, a script can warp to separate maps with variables and flags set.
                You can't do this because writebytetooffset only works on the RAM. What you are editing is the ROM (read only memeory- Read Only.) You can do this however with a massive setmaptile script if both of the sets of tiles are on the same map.

Paired with Simba
                Old June 2nd, 2013 (5:15 AM).
                Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                  You can't do this because writebytetooffset only works on the RAM. What you are editing is the ROM (read only memeory- Read Only.) You can do this however with a massive setmaptile script if both of the sets of tiles are on the same map.
                  Dam, I really thought I was on to something... So are there any way commands to touch Read Only Memory? If not I guess that's why its read only :( ...
                  Old June 2nd, 2013 (8:38 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.

No, the rom is only READ so you can't write to unless you are hacking, hello
                  ^^

Support me at my site!
                  Old June 2nd, 2013 (8:43 AM).

Quote:
                    Set map tile script doesn't affect the people/events on the map, however, correct?
                    Old June 2nd, 2013 (8:52 AM).

Correct, so you can use movesprite, hidesprite, showsprite, applymovement whatever.

Support me at my site!
                    Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:02 AM).

I am making a hack, and when I try picking up item balls (any, like the ones in Viridian Forest) it makes the sound of picking up the item, but no message comes up and I do not recieve an item. The poke ball stays there as if nothing happened.
                      Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:04 AM).

You need to set a flag so the event doesn't happen twice. Then in advance map in person id put the flag number so the game hides the pokeball. And voila! The pokeball disappears.

Support me at my site!
                      Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:13 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
                        What version of Advance Map are you using?
                        I believe it's 1.95. Is there a newer one out that may be less buggy?
                        Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:18 AM).

No.1.95 is the newest. Check the version of your ROM. It only supports version 1.0 of FR and LG.

Support me at my site!
                        Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:29 AM).
                        Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
                          Does anyone know how to change the graphics of the weather in the Overworld, Like changing rain into hail?

Always keep an open mind!
                          Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:35 AM).

Go into VBA and look for the image in the oam viewer tool.
                          It says an offset like 0x07000000
                          in the memory viewer go there. Search for those bytes in a hex editor and if theres a match, theres your image. Then in NSE go to the offset of it in your rom and you can bookmark it. If you dont find it in a hex editor, then its LZ-77 compressed, and you need unlz gba.

Support me at my site!
                          Old June 2nd, 2013 (9:55 AM).
                          Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
                            Quote:
                            you need unlz gba.
                            Where would I find the weather in unlz thats all I need And I will be set and thanks for the Info?

Always keep an open mind!
                            Old June 2nd, 2013 (10:04 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.

Well it would be hard since its a small image so try searching withthe grayscale option so it's easier to find.

Ok, how would I make a song play from the songtable in ASM?

Are animated sprites like in BW possible? That could be the next community project.

Support me at my site!
                            Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:07 PM).

Quote:
                              No.1.95 is the newest. Check the version of your ROM. It only supports version 1.0 of FR and LG.
                              well i use the JPAN hack engine of FR, does that have any effect on the mapping process? because ive constantly had problems with advanced map while hacking which has made me have to start over. like this time around all ive done is block edit and map edit, and it still messes up somehow.
                              Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:18 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                well i use the JPAN hack engine of FR, does that have any effect on the mapping process? because ive constantly had problems with advanced map while hacking which has made me have to start over. like this time around all ive done is block edit and map edit, and it still messes up somehow.
                                That is because 1.95 is buggy as hell. It was a pre-release unfinished beta version.

Paired with Simba
                                Old June 2nd, 2013 (1:50 PM).

Quote:
                                  That is because 1.95 is buggy as hell. It was a pre-release unfinished beta version.
                                  is there anything less buggy? :/
                                  Old June 2nd, 2013 (1:58 PM).

Hello, I have a problem installing advance map/pokescript

I didn't have any problem getting to compile scripts on my old laptop, but my new one (Windows 7) won't allow me to compile scripts, I know my main problem is that when I install Advance map, it won't allow me to chose a file save destination, it simply asks me which language I would like, and opens Advance map without letting me put it with pokewitch :/

Would anyone be able to help with this?
                                    Thank you.
                                    Closed Thread

Quick Reply