• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Archetypes

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
What kind of character archetypes have you played/prefer to play in roleplays? Examples include the ever-popular silent badass, the team leader, the shy person, the funny one, the psychopathic/crazy types, genius characters, etc.

What do you think is the most unique/special character you've created so far?

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Much earlier on I had a thing for quiet, optionally broody, pragmatic girls. IDK why, maybe because that was like the complete opposite of who I was? It was also probably due to the overabundance of bubbly naive girl characters I saw everywhere else on the forum at the time. This was back when the average age of all the characters was 16 lol.

Later on when I started being able to write more guys after the gender ratio evened out a little bit, I ended up making a lot of my guys really affable and friendly... probably to counteract all the broody badasses around lol.

I've created some interesting characters since then, though, if I do say so myself. xD

Among my personal favourites is a character I ironically called Honest, because he had really fragmented memories and lied about anything and everything. I think he was the first character of mine I really allowed like a dark and angsty past simply because he barely remembered it and would never talk or think about it even if he did.

Plus there's my magical healer with a god-complex and an ego the size of the sun. I really wish that RP lasted longer so that I could explore her a bit more, because she's my hammiest, most outrageous character to date. xD

Last edited:
Years
I don't really have any particular archetype I love to play over others, however my characters are usually of at least moderate intelligence and are usually more serious in their personalities. Lately I have been trying to expand the types of characters I play though straying outside my usual age groups, character traits etc.

I think the most unique character I have made so far is probably Giron. He's an overly enthusiastic and totally clueless shapeshifting alien superhero whose origin story is crashing his spaceship whilst on holiday and subsequently losing his travel visa (that for some reason actually works more like a passport).

Skellen (from One Piece) is very fun and is very special (probably my favourite character), but I wouldn't call him unique haha.

shatteredxfrost

i'm writing my own damn story
Years
I really like the ones that take a lot of responsibility, even when they don't have to. I apparently end up making all characters like that at some stage xD

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
I don't have RP characters in abundance, but narcissistic ass holes tends to be my kind of thing. With all the snarky remarks, snappy comebacks, and complete dick moves you could ask for.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I don't think I have an archetype I cling to. I try to make my characters diverse, because I don't want it to feel like I am writing the same character over and over.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I used to play characters that emulated myself, but now I make a different depending on the atmosphere. Also It's been quite a long time since I roleplayed (I took a 2 year hiatus), so I have no particular attitude.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I used to play characters that emulated myself, but now I make a different depending on the atmosphere. Also It's been quite a long time since I roleplayed (I took a 2 year hiatus), so I have no particular attitude.

You seem to have a very big biased for overly religious characters, I've noticed. So I wouldn't say you don't have a particular attitude.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
You seem to have a very big biased for overly religious characters, I've noticed. So I wouldn't say you don't have a particular attitude.

Correct, however I suggested Anima as a throw-away idea (A psycho who thinks killing is good), I collaborated with Foxrally for Sea Champion and Chris was my first come back Character "hmm what if a religious guy was in a Zombie Apocolypse."
I do admit I also have a thing for history and mythology. I adore mythology.
I like it because of I like exploring religious freedom. I have a "No one is wrong, no one is right" policy I also love to play Devil's Advocate in Debates. I also like to use it as it provides a great spectrum of motivation to allow and interesting character development allowing a large amount of unique character types. Also my family has a wealth of atheism and Christian Sects, so that gives me a deep insight in to it and its workings.

Years
I like to play comic relief characters. That's not to say I'm always zany or never serious, but I just like making people smile. If one of my characters is angry or sad, you know things just got real.

Sad to say, I don't really have any unique characters. When I make a character, I usually take a pre-existing character I'm fond of, and think "How would I play them?"; mixing my own quirks and traits into them.

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Lately I have been "typecast" for playing angsty, brooding, or just plain mean characters, with Vincent from Crossroads, Isaac from Railways and Morgan from One Piece spanning the different dimensions of what it means to be a terribly mean person, with Vincent and Isaac being cut from the same cloth and Morgan being a little more human in it.

In the past, I was almost criticized for almost always playing the "good guy" with an upstanding sense of morality. I am trying to recover that aspect of my skill with Robin in Digimon Revolution, but I find playing more morally loose characters to be a lot more fun I suppose. I don't know. I hate being typecast and being stuck with an archetype, but in the end everyone will find their own niche that are comfortable and "skilled" at.

Hopefully, I'll break out of it eventually. :x

Especially, considering I don't find ANY of my characters game changing.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
Lately I have been "typecast" for playing angsty, brooding, or just plain mean characters, with Vincent from Crossroads, Isaac from Railways and Morgan from One Piece spanning the different dimensions of what it means to be a terribly mean person, with Vincent and Isaac being cut from the same cloth and Morgan being a little more human in it.

In the past, I was almost criticized for almost always playing the "good guy" with an upstanding sense of morality. I am trying to recover that aspect of my skill with Robin in Digimon Revolution, but I find playing more morally loose characters to be a lot more fun I suppose. I don't know. I hate being typecast and being stuck with an archetype, but in the end everyone will find their own niche that are comfortable and "skilled" at.

Hopefully, I'll break out of it eventually. :x

Especially, considering I don't find ANY of my characters game changing.

It sounds like what you need is a characters whose morality is placed in a grey area.

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
It sounds like what you need is a characters whose morality is placed in a grey area.

Actually, my "jerks" are never explicitly evil but more self interested. So they are already "grey" maybe leaning towards "black" but even then I couldn't fully commit to that stance. I rather like the idea of the "thief with a heart of gold" and have a handful of characters like that.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I don't think I've really played any character that's too based in one thing to fit into an archetype. I mean, I have the lawless badass who just breaks shit and kills everything that moves. But then every so often he has moments of clarity where he's almost like a normal human being and feels feels and doesn't kill everything just because he can. Then I have the ladies man who actually is really bad at being a ladies man. And then I'm still trying to figure out a personality for my bookworm. And the character I'm making for Camelot will be the silent leader who only really speaks when necessary.

Jeb is probably the most unique character I've created so far. And that's actually kinda sad to say haha.

Back