• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Fakemon FireRed

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Welcome to the thread of
- Fakemon FireRed -

1636-Pokemon-Fire-Red-U-Squirrels.png

Introduction

The main feature of Fakemon FireRed is the addition of 252 original Fakemon, plus 19 Mega Evolutions. Every single mention of any legitimate Pokémon has been removed - including overworlds, dialogue mentions, game corner icons and much more. There are also a lot of more modern features and not to mention "quality of life" features added, which I will list below.

The hack, as it exists now, is complete and playable all the way through. It's even possible to complete the Kanto Dex all within one save file, with no trading or anything required. Not necessarily easy, but definitely doable. I have some future plans about adding more Fakemon enough to complete the National Dex, but that's in the distant future.

Story

The story remains the same as in the original Pokémon FireRed Version, but there are only a few minor "lore" changes to accommodate some new Legendaries in place of the old ones. But nothing has been changed on how the events of the game plays out. It has all the same characters, towns, cities and events from the vanilla FireRed, with the only change being the Pokémon, as mentioned above.

Features

• The Physical/Special Split including visual indicators.
  • Three new types: Fairy, Digital and Cosmic.
  • A ton of new moves. A lot of new moves from later generations, but also a few completely original ones.
  • A ton of new abilities, like Technician, No Guard, Bulletproof and Skill Link.
  • A ton of new items. Stuff like Eviolite, Assault Vest and a couple others. A few completely original evolution stones are included, as well.
  • Roughly two generations worth of Fakemon. The game should be completely free from any and all appearances from legit Pokémon. 252 Fakemon, plus 19 Mega forms. Every non-legendary should be available before the E4.
  • Original cries for most of the Fakemon. 150 of them, to be exact. Not all of them, because I'm terrible at inserting cries.
  • Running indoors! Best feature.
  • A day/night system.
  • Reusable TMs. Doesn't always work, though. (Let the "using an item" animation play out)
  • A system for checking IVs in the stat screen.
  • The repel system of BW2. ("The repel wore off, would you like to use another?" That thing.)
  • New evolution methods. Gender-dependent, map-specific evolutions, level-up while holding an item, day- or night-time evolutions and so on.
  • Mega Evolutions. Works ALMOST perfectly, and every Mega Stone should be available somewhere before the E4.
  • Extra areas added to Kanto. A few areas have been expanded and extra maps have been added to house specific Pokémon or items.
  • Pewter City is almost doubled in size, make sure you check out the expanded area to the west.
  • Molet Tunnel (formerly known as Diglett Tunnel) has been expanded drastically.
  • Viridian Forest has been expanded a bit.
  • Eggs hatch at level 1.
  • Poison's effect in the overworld are gone.
  • EV cap at 252 per stat instead of 255.
  • You get the regional and the National Dex the same way you normally do, but every evolution is possible from the get-go.
  • Lucky Egg gives just a bit more extra experience. You can pick it up in Pewter City.
  • Life Orb works in the same way as Destiny Knot in regards to breeding in the newer games. I'm pretty sure this works like it's supposed to, but I haven't tested it thoroughly.
  • Flame Body and Magma Armor halves egg hatching time.
  • A guy in Pewter City will tell you the exact IVs and EVs of your Pokémon.

Screenshots

Here are a couple of screenshots (Bringing the total number of screenshots that aren't battle screens or stat screens to the required minimum of twelve - but there are a bunch of battle screens and stat screens, as well, given the focus of this hack):

unLb1ku.png

50Ii2v9.png

Px7VcnI.png

3vzIpYG.png

Credits

• MrDollSteak for his ROM base.
  • ShyRayq for his tutorial for adding types to FireRed.
  • Aspiring PokeTrainer (on YouTube) for his video on the intro sequence.
  • Diegoisawesome for his XSE tutorial.
  • Touched for his Mega Evolution patch. Honestly, I don't remember if I used the patch or the tutorial. I just remember it took a lot of tries to get it to work.
  • Jambo51 for a couple of super useful tutorials.
  • Darthatron for the updated repel system.
  • kearnseyboy6 for his tutorial on adding new evolution methods.
  • DoesntKnowHowToPlay for his tutorial on displaying IV values.
  • PokeChu for making this thread look a little nicer.
I really, really hope I haven't forgotten anybody; thanks a lot for all the help and tutorials!

Download

The wiki [link] for Fakemon FireRed includes download links for a few different .ips patches. I made different patches for different versions of the FireRed base, because I wanted to make it work, whether you have v1.0 or v1.1 or whatever - hopefully it works as intended.

Official wiki

Fakemon FireRed has it's own wiki!
I've worked extensively on a wiki for the hack, where you can find info on every single Fakemon, plus an overview of features and known bugs.

Thank you for taking the time to view this thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
Finally you posted this on Pokecommunity ! been playing this for a while now since the reddit post !
note to everyone if you ever wanted to play a good fakemon hack this is it !

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
The fakemon look very well done. I'm glad there are still people who enjoy playing with mons other than the originals. This is the kind of game that would have been hyped to the max in the early days of gen III hacking. ^_^

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Having played it, I had a great time. There's lots of replay value as there's a lot of Fakemon I want to try out in multiple runs. It's not too hard, it's more on the easy side for me. The Mega Evolution on the AI's end could be fixed though. I would need to reset the game to get it to work. Otherwise there's a weird bug where the Mega Evolution gets shifted to whatever the last Fakemon in the foe's party is, while the first Fakemon, the one that was supposed to Mega Evolve, doesn't. Again, a reset fixes that. There's also a weird bug where trainers use a Water Stone as a healing item, and it does nothing of course.

Pekin

Years
So, I've been updating the wiki with pages for the new types, including all other types, while I was at it. I've also made a page that lists the Fakemon that can Mega Evolve, how their typing and abilities change, and the location of their Mega Stones. Here are pages for the Cosmic-type, the Digital-type and Mega Evolution in Fakemon FireRed.

Having played it, I had a great time. There's lots of replay value as there's a lot of Fakemon I want to try out in multiple runs. It's not too hard, it's more on the easy side for me. The Mega Evolution on the AI's end could be fixed though. I would need to reset the game to get it to work. Otherwise there's a weird bug where the Mega Evolution gets shifted to whatever the last Fakemon in the foe's party is, while the first Fakemon, the one that was supposed to Mega Evolve, doesn't. Again, a reset fixes that. There's also a weird bug where trainers use a Water Stone as a healing item, and it does nothing of course.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, I'm aware of some of the bugs related to Mega Evolution, but I'm not sure what to do about them just yet - I'm constantly updating the wiki with any bugs people report to me, I'll definitely go back to working on it at some point.

The fakemon look very well done. I'm glad there are still people who enjoy playing with mons other than the originals. This is the kind of game that would have been hyped to the max in the early days of gen III hacking. ^_^

Thank you! :) Yeah, this just sort of came about because I've always liked to draw - fakemon, especially - and I'm kinda proud of it.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I remember coming across this on Reddit! I'm glad to see it has moved over to the Pokécommunity! Thought I'd ask if this hack is in a state that's nuzlockable? Thanks!

Pekin

Years
I remember coming across this on Reddit! I'm glad to see it has moved over to the Pokécommunity! Thought I'd ask if this hack is in a state that's nuzlockable? Thanks!

Hey, thanks man! Yeah, I mean, the game is complete in the sense that you can beat the E4, play the Sevii Islands post-game, beat the E4 again, fill out your Kanto Dex, all the while never encountering anything but Fakemon. I'll release an update eventually with more content, but that's far away, so I pretty much consider the game complete at this point. I'd say it's nuzlockable, but I haven't tried it personally, so I have no idea if it's easy or challenging for a nuzlocke - I say go for it, and good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
izN6tws
Their hands lol

Attachments

• Screenshot (74).png
    Screenshot (74).png
    9.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
thanks for this great fakemon mod, the fakemon inside are so complete, and the evolution ways are varying, really hard work.

Maybe I find a bug is, sometimes the variation of the game is not working.

for example, my pokemon is being paralysed, then mo matter how many round I wait, it cannot move.

another one is the wild, I face the same wild pokemon with the same gender and same level in more than 30 meeting, is it a bug?

ah, this bug is easy to solve, just close the VBA and start again.

Pekin

Years
izN6tws
Their hands lol

Lol that's cute, Titanos just wants to be your friend.

thanks for this great fakemon mod, the fakemon inside are so complete, and the evolution ways are varying, really hard work.

Maybe I find a bug is, sometimes the variation of the game is not working.

for example, my pokemon is being paralysed, then mo matter how many round I wait, it cannot move.

another one is the wild, I face the same wild pokemon with the same gender and same level in more than 30 meeting, is it a bug?

ah, this bug is easy to solve, just close the VBA and start again.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

Haven't heard about those before, but sounds like you got it working - if I can replicate it, I'll try to look into it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
My Hall of Fame teams and some stuff I liked about the game

Some of my favorite parts of this game, next to all the new Pokemon, are the vast distribution of great Moves, many unique/strong Type combinations, competitive Abilities, and potent Stat distributions. If there's a move that would be cool on a pokemon and it makes some sense it likely gets it. Many of the Typings tend to be strong offensively/defensively or new or rare Type combinations. The Abilities usually really benefit the pokemon in battle. Often less useful Stats are even lower so useful Stats can be higher. And then all of these traits tend to complement eachother for good strategies on the pokemon.

Other stuff I really like
Great Wiki Documentation, and if it's not on the Wiki since it's still Fire Red it's new stuff in old places you can look up elsewhere
Great Pokemon & Typing distribution, on the majority of Routes there's new mons to find with a lot of Type variation.
It's still Kanto but with all the new Pokemon, every official Pokemon and reference taken out, and new features, it felt like a fresh experience.

My Hall of Fame teams

Attachments

• Hall of Fame Team 1st.png
    Hall of Fame Team 1st.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Hall of Fame Team 2nd.png
    Hall of Fame Team 2nd.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

sz

Years
Where can I find an up-grade? I tried cheating one so I can have a certain evo before e4 but it turns to be an "old up-grade" and it doesn't work

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Where can I find an up-grade? I tried cheating one so I can have a certain evo before e4 but it turns to be an "old up-grade" and it doesn't work

Voltan or Wattron have the new one as a wild held item, they can be found at Route 10/Power Plant

Last edited:

Pekin

Years
My Hall of Fame teams and some stuff I liked about the game

Some of my favorite parts of this game, next to all the new Pokemon, are the vast distribution of great Moves, many unique/strong Type combinations, competitive Abilities, and potent Stat distributions. If there's a move that would be cool on a pokemon and it makes some sense it likely gets it. Many of the Typings tend to be strong offensively/defensively or new or rare Type combinations. The Abilities usually really benefit the pokemon in battle. Often less useful Stats are even lower so useful Stats can be higher. And then all of these traits tend to complement eachother for good strategies on the pokemon.

Other stuff I really like
Great Wiki Documentation, and if it's not on the Wiki since it's still Fire Red it's new stuff in old places you can look up elsewhere
Great Pokemon & Typing distribution, on the majority of Routes there's new mons to find with a lot of Type variation.
It's still Kanto but with all the new Pokemon, every official Pokemon and reference taken out, and new features, it felt like a fresh experience.

My Hall of Fame teams

Thank you so much, your comprehensive feedback is - as always - greatly appreciated! I love the stuff you've noticed about the hack, and the fact that the thought I put into moves, abilities, type combinations and stat distribution is evident. Even if the game is not always perfectly balanced, I at least like to think that it's fun and - like you said - feels like a fresh experience.

Also, I love your Hall of Fame teams, and the fact that you've included two shinies, and that you actually used a Marasita in your playthrough! I really like the gimmicky nature of Marasita, but I image it'd be either a little tedious to use in a playthrough or completely broken, no?

I know you've got an answer, but yeah, I had to make a new Up-Grade item at some point for it to work like intended. I think there's one in the Rocket Hideout in Celadon, as well. In any case, you can also buy it from the Poké Mart on Three Island, along with the other evolution stones that aren't available in the Celadon Dept. Store.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Thank you so much, your comprehensive feedback is - as always - greatly appreciated! I love the stuff you've noticed about the hack, and the fact that the thought I put into moves, abilities, type combinations and stat distribution is evident. Even if the game is not always perfectly balanced, I at least like to think that it's fun and - like you said - feels like a fresh experience.

Also, I love your Hall of Fame teams, and the fact that you've included two shinies, and that you actually used a Marasita in your playthrough! I really like the gimmicky nature of Marasita, but I image it'd be either a little tedious to use in a playthrough or completely broken, no?

Prankster Sleep Powder and Nasty Plot that's accessible early, and a stab move/Giga Drain were all Marasita needed to where it was one of my most reliable mons, especially once it got 75BP Drain Kiss. It's frail, but a priority sleep move, great boosting move, it's great typing, and all the recovery from boosted Giga Drain and then Drain Kiss had it consistently sweeping. Once it gets priority Spore it's busted but at level 53 I think I'd only finally gotten it while facing the Champion.

Yeah I really liked those shinies, especially Conductric, who can I also say, looks like a robot out of Futurama to me, kinda like a mix of Beelzebot and another one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 62
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
I'm really enjoying this ROM hack so far, I'm curious what are the best HM slaves to use? Right now I'm using a Scurrow for razor chop (I just got in in Vermillion).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
I'm really enjoying this ROM hack so far, I'm curious what are the best HM slaves to use? Right now I'm using a Scurrow for razor chop (I just got in in Vermillion).

Since the HM's have been changed to where they're good moves I mostly just used them on Pokemon I was already using that they were good on. But as far as dedicated HM Slaves go the widely available Scrap (closest to Vermillion I think is Route 6 or Route 9) learns Razor Chop, Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Dive, and then when it evolves at level 30 Rock Smash. But I don't think Dive is needed and Waterfall isn't needed for much. And Amphly available early on Route 2 learns the other 2 HM's Fly and Blitz/Flash

Last edited:
Back