• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Member And Newish Pokemon TCG Player

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Hi all

So I'm trying to get into competitive Pokémon and I've been reading a lot and watching you tube video trying to get my bearings on modern tcg cards and strategies etc but I'm posting today to ask where a good starting point for me to begin to play the game. I'm in between either buying booster box's or full deck on eBay but not sure exactly what cards are legal to play in this rotation and what's the best deck to play. Obviously I could just throw a random deck together and then get beat and go back and re do it etc but I'm trying to avoid all that and get at least a deck list of cards for a basic decent deck play a few tournaments and go from there. Any advice is appreciated and I live in the NYC area so if anyone knows of any meet up groups out there I'd also be interested in that. I just want a fun hobby to take my mind off the grind of Daly life and meet people who are passionate about the game. I also play the 3ds games and competitive battle on that as well but that's for another post. In any case thank you for your time reading this and hopefully I'll get some good advice or at least a friendly welcome to the game

Years
Hi all

So I'm trying to get into competitive Pokémon and I've been reading a lot and watching you tube video trying to get my bearings on modern tcg cards and strategies etc but I'm posting today to ask where a good starting point for me to begin to play the game. I'm in between either buying booster box's or full deck on eBay but not sure exactly what cards are legal to play in this rotation and what's the best deck to play. Obviously I could just throw a random deck together and then get beat and go back and re do it etc but I'm trying to avoid all that and get at least a deck list of cards for a basic decent deck play a few tournaments and go from there. Any advice is appreciated and I live in the NYC area so if anyone knows of any meet up groups out there I'd also be interested in that. I just want a fun hobby to take my mind off the grind of Daly life and meet people who are passionate about the game. I also play the 3ds games and competitive battle on that as well but that's for another post. In any case thank you for your time reading this and hopefully I'll get some good advice or at least a friendly welcome to the game

So, first question, do you know how to play at all? If not, pick up a Trainer Kit deck as well as go download the TCGO and play the tutorial and a few Trainer Challenge matches.

If you do, find a decklist you like and buy the pieces for it. Don't go hard into the Tier 1 decks. Give a Tier 2 or Tier 3 deck a try as these tend to be more fun and varied than the Tier 1 decks, and give you some varied results that you can learn from.

You should be able to use this tool to find a league near you: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/

Back