• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Years
This! Exactly my thoughts. Are you talking about Mini-Challenges Events or normal Events

EDIT: adventure was faster, but I'll leave this here anyway :D

Personally, I'm talking about a monthly mini-challenge - something that's easy enough that a casual player could complete it in a month, but a more experienced player could set limitations to make it more difficult for themselves - i.e., August's challenge is to get a pokemon to lvl 100; September's challenge is to beat a gym with a team made up entirely of pokemon with a type disadvantage; October could skip the mini-challenge and have a proper event to celebrate Halloween (Halloween themed playthrough and/or collection of mini-challenges) or have a mini challenge alongside a proper event; November's challenge is to breed a pokemon with perfect IV's; etc.

Bragging-rights awards to the person who completed a mini-challenge the fastest, the person who completed it the most number of times, the person who completed it in the most difficult way, or whatever's appropriate to the challenge. And once we've had a few of them, there could be a leaderboard showing the people who've completed the most challenges or had the longest completion streak.

Last edited:

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
Personally, I'm talking about a monthly mini-challenge - something that's easy enough that a casual player could complete it in a month, but a more experienced player could set limitations to make it more difficult for themselves - i.e., August's challenge is to get a pokemon to lvl 100; September's challenge is to beat a gym with a team made up entirely of pokemon with a type disadvantage; October could skip the mini-challenge and have a proper event to celebrate Halloween (Halloween themed playthrough and/or collection of mini-challenges) or have a mini challenge alongside a proper event; November's challenge is to breed a pokemon with perfect IV's; etc.

Bragging-rights awards to the person who completed a mini-challenge the fastest, the person who completed it the most number of times, the person who completed it in the most difficult way, or whatever's appropriate to the challenge. And once we've had a few of them, there could be a leaderboard showing the people who've completed the most challenges or had the longest completion streak.

Sounds cool!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Aha, so you're thinking one extra/mini-challenge per month that could be done within any game or other challenge, rather than a list of many mini-challenges to complete several of? I guess your way would set things up for being more fun in the long run, rather than exhausting all ideas quickly. Sounds good! And some months theme'd challenges instead yeah.

Should we make a mini-mini challenge to try things out with the deadline to finish before August 1st? ;)

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
Aha, so you're thinking one extra/mini-challenge per month that could be done within any game or other challenge, rather than a list of many mini-challenges to complete several of? I guess your way would set things up for being more fun in the long run, rather than exhausting all ideas quickly. Sounds good! And some months theme'd challenges instead yeah.

Should we make a mini-mini challenge to try things out with the deadline to finish before August 1st? ;)

Sounds good to me!^^

Years

Yes, exactly!

We're already half way through the month, would that be enough time? Or maybe take the rest of the month to figure out the details of who is doing what and what the format should be, and then start a challenge on August 1st?

Like I said, I could organize the challenge itself - picking the challenge each month, making the post, and then either creating a separate post or update the original post after the challenge to list the winners. I can make the list of all the winners, the people who completed it the fastest, the people who completed it the most, and keep track of streaks/# of completions (I'm very organized)

It would be good if someone else was in charge of prizes if we want them, and someone who's got a good knowledge of the franchise as a whole could be in charge of additional awards (or we could do it by vote?) - Most of my knowledge is of the gen III games so I wouldn't be good at, say, picking who had the most creative or most difficult completion unless they did something really obvious like get a Magikarp to lvl 100

Bigger themed events could be collaborative between whoever wants to help run them, if there isn't one or two people who specifically want to be in charge of themed events.

Years
I won't quete you all, but you know I'm talking to you :D

That's pretty good idea. I would actually try and do this for the rest of the month. It could be also good idea to set some kind of points system. We also need to make some format in which we'll write the challenges.

Also, I would like to take themed events..

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yes, exactly!

We're already half way through the month, would that be enough time? Or maybe take the rest of the month to figure out the details of who is doing what and what the format should be, and then start a challenge on August 1st?

Like I said, I could organize the challenge itself - picking the challenge each month, making the post, and then either creating a separate post or update the original post after the challenge to list the winners. I can make the list of all the winners, the people who completed it the fastest, the people who completed it the most, and keep track of streaks/# of completions (I'm very organized)

It would be good if someone else was in charge of prizes if we want them, and someone who's got a good knowledge of the franchise as a whole could be in charge of additional awards (or we could do it by vote?) - Most of my knowledge is of the gen III games so I wouldn't be good at, say, picking who had the most creative or most difficult completion unless they did something really obvious like get a Magikarp to lvl 100

Bigger themed events could be collaborative between whoever wants to help run them, if there isn't one or two people who specifically want to be in charge of themed events.
Love your enthusiasm! Just remember that teamwork is a good thing, so if others want to help out, hopefully they can aid you in some way, or get to host the September mini-challenge or something.

That being said, I think it's nice if you take charge and draft up what the August challenge can look like! As for future themed challenges, maybe you guys could brainstorm in this thread and agree on what the next nice theme could be~ Janp could be in charge of keeping track of ideas and how the theme events could work, perhaps c:

Years
Love your enthusiasm! Just remember that teamwork is a good thing, so if others want to help out, hopefully they can aid you in some way, or get to host the September mini-challenge or something.

That being said, I think it's nice if you take charge and draft up what the August challenge can look like! As for future themed challenges, maybe you guys could brainstorm in this thread and agree on what the next nice theme could be~ Janp could be in charge of keeping track of ideas and how the theme events could work, perhaps c:

As someone who participated in every Event here in Challenges ever since 2013, I'll gladly help with returning Challenges to its former glory...

Let's call it... Reborn

Years

Oh yeah absolutely! If someone else wants to help out with the mini challenges or take turns hosting them each month I'm all for it (and I will definitely need help - as said, I'd love for somebody else to look after prizes and awards since that's not something I think I'd be able to do. Even if somebody wants to help keep track of winning streaks or something, that would be cool too).

I've got kind of a template started with general rules that would stay the same month to month, just need to format it. For the first challenge just to test the waters I'm thinking either get a pokemon to lvl 100 or beat a gym with a team of pokemon that all have a type disadvantage - both good for beginners/casual players because it doesn't require any in-depth knowledge of game mechanics, lots of flexibility in how you can complete them, and both are possible to complete on any game. But if somebody else has an idea for what would be a good first challenge I'd love to hear it!

Years
Oh yeah absolutely! If someone else wants to help out with the mini challenges or take turns hosting them each month I'm all for it (and I will definitely need help - as said, I'd love for somebody else to look after prizes and awards since that's not something I think I'd be able to do. Even if somebody wants to help keep track of winning streaks or something, that would be cool too).

I've got kind of a template started with general rules that would stay the same month to month, just need to format it. For the first challenge just to test the waters I'm thinking either get a pokemon to lvl 100 or beat a gym with a team of pokemon that all have a type disadvantage - both good for beginners/casual players because it doesn't require any in-depth knowledge of game mechanics, lots of flexibility in how you can complete them, and both are possible to complete on any game. But if somebody else has an idea for what would be a good first challenge I'd love to hear it!

You can post the template here and we can use it as a base :) I would also consider the system with points. Like make one main goal for bigger amount of points and then some additional goals for less points. Some of these could also be done more that once and some only once.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Like Janp says, did you have a template we could turn into a draft for an event? (:

Years
Like Janp says, did you have a template we could turn into a draft for an event? (:

Sorry guys I was away for a couple days and didn't have a chance to post it ahead of time

It's pretty basic, whoever is running the challenge for the month can get fancy with it if they want:

Spoiler:

Years
Sorry guys I was away for a couple days and didn't have a chance to post it ahead of time

It's pretty basic, whoever is running the challenge for the month can get fancy with it if they want:

Spoiler:

This is awesome... I think we can use this :)

Tek

Years
Great work, Inkblots. We can look at some of the older events to get ideas for the specific goals in these mini-challenges, then modify them to suit whatever theme we pick. Lots of material here to draw inspiration from: https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296 (s'long as Necrum's cool with us pilfering ideas).

Other than that I have a couple of changes I think we should consider.

1 - Make each mini-challenge last two months instead of one month. Gives casual players more time to complete objectives and gives us more time to develop and review the content. Our aim is to attract interest and attention to the forum, so it's important that we present something that is fun, fresh, and well thought out!

2 - Let's make participation prizes and at least one or two special prizes available. Personally, bragging rights isn't very enticing, but a prize pokemon is! I will provide the participation prizes for now. I have a few shinies and such that could make good ranking prizes but we'll probably need to work together to gather more.

What do you all think about these suggestions?

Last edited:
Years
Great work, Inkblots. We can look at some of the older events to get ideas for the specific goals in these mini-challenges, then modify them to suit whatever theme we pick. Lots of material here to draw inspiration from: https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296 (s'long as Necrum's cool with us pilfering ideas).

Other than that I have a couple of changes I think we should consider.

1 - Make each mini-challenge last two months instead of one month. Gives casual players more time to complete objectives and gives us more time to develop and review the content. Our aim is to attract interest and attention to the forum, so it's important that we present something that is fun, fresh, and well thought out!

2 - Let's make participation prizes and at least one or two special prizes available. Personally, bragging rights isn't very enticing, but a prize pokemon is! I will provide the participation prizes for now. I have a few shinies and such that could make good ranking prizes but we'll probably need to work together to gather more.

What do you all think about these suggestions?

1 - I think two months are too long. From my own experience, if people have a lot of time to complete the challenge, they will procrastinate and won't complete it.

2 - I agree on this! I'm no breeder, but I'll try and get some prizes myself.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I think try monthly first yeah.

Remember that you can simply quote or message me if you need the thread stickied or want to put some fancy prefix on it :)

Years
Yeah, I think two months is going to be a bit too long. One month will be the easiest to keep track of, and in theory, none of these challenges should be too difficult for a casual player to complete in a month.

If a lot of people are complaining that it's not enough time, then we could maybe go to something like a month and a half (start on the first of the month, go until halfway through the next month, then take a break for the remainder of the month).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 24, 2017
Soul link Nuzlocke Randomizer partner needed.

1- Any Pokémon that faints is considered "dead," and must be released or stored in a specified PC box for "dead" Pokémon.

2- You can only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

3- You must also nickname all of your Pokémon, for the sake of forming "stronger emotional bonds."

4- In a new area, the first encounters for both players will be, "linked," together until death.

5- If one Pokémon in a linked pair is placed in the PC, it's Soul Link partner must be placed in the PC as well.

6- If one Pokémon in a linked pair dies, it's Soul Link partner is considered dead as well.

7- If one player fails to capture their first encounter in an area, the second player must forfeit their encounter in their corresponding area.

Message if interested.

Back