• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RBY OU Team- My First Competitive Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2013
I thought I would try to make my first competitive team on RBY because I prefer First Generation to the other Generations. Remember this is my first team, so I'm prepared for lots of criticism.

I decided to have 1 Annoyer (Exeggutor), 1 Tank (Chansey), 1 Physical Sweeper (Rhydon), 3 Special Sweepers (Zapdos, Starmie and Alakazam)

Here is my planned team (haven't started making it on Blue yet so I can't give you stats yet, but I will update stats when I have them):

Lead:
Exeggutor
Sleep Powder
Psychic
Stun Spore
Explosion
Exeggutor is my lead Pokemon with the purpose of putting as much as my opponents team to sleep or paralysing as much as my opponents team as possible. Psychic is there so Exeggutor has some attacking bite still and Explosion is a last ditch resort when Exeggutor is about to die.

The rest in no particular order:
Alakazam
Psychic
Thunder Wave
Recover
Seismic Toss
Alakazam's job is to paralyse his opponent first, then Psychic the opposing Pokemon if it isn't resistant to Psychic or doesn't have high HP and Special. Seismic Toss is there for Pokemon that Psychic won't do the job against and Recover is to keep Alakazam alive for as long as possible

Rhydon
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Substitute
Body Slam
Rhydon is exactly what you'd expect, just an all out physical attacker. Earthquake is for Electric types and anything that isn't resistant to it. Rock Slide is for Flying types, Zapdos in paticular, and for anything that resists Earthquake. Substitute is the only defensive move there and is only for emergencies. Body Slam is for expected switch-ins due to the chance of paralysis

Chansey
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Chansey's job is my Tank. Softboiled is there to heal Chansey in desperate times. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt use Chansey's strong special to counter attack and Thunder Wave is there to paralyse anything paticularly nasty that turns up to lose its speed advantage

Starmie
Blizzard
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Recover
Stamie is my second special sweeper. Blizzard and Thunderbolt are its main weapons, Thunder Wave is there for paralysis and Recover is there to heal Starmie when its health is getting low.

Zapdos
Thunderbolt
Drill Peck
Thunder Wave
Thunder
Zapdos is my final special sweeper. It will be used when the opponent have lost there Rhydon or Golem and will be there if Alakazam and Starmie fail me. Thunderbolt, Drill Peck and Thunder are its attacking weapons. Thunder Wave is there for paralysis as always.

I hope this team isn't too bad.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2013
Why is Thunderwave on everything? :o

I can understand one or maybe two pokemon providing paralysis support but any more than that and it's just a waste of a moveslot. You lose type coverage and eventually your opponent will just get free switch ins with their already paralyzed pokemon O.O

You also need natures/EVs/items or we can't do anything. Please read the rules.
1. I do see your point about paralysis. Possibly I should take it off Alakazam, Starmie and Zapdos and replace it with another power attack

2. Natures and held items didn't exist in RBY. As for EV's, like I said I will update with EV's and stats at a later stage.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
The only real problem i can see are normal type attacks. Explosion/Selfdestruct and Body Slam's paralysis really, i.e from Tauros (what isnt weak to this though lol) and Snorlax most specifically. I think Gengar might fit in well here to absorb normal hits. Id try Gengar in here somewhere (over Starmie prolly) this also stops the broken Wrap from taking a toll.

Ill come back i i spot something else but i haven't played RBY in ages lol @_@

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2013
The only real problem i can see are normal type attacks. Explosion/Selfdestruct and Body Slam's paralysis really, i.e from Tauros (what isnt weak to this though lol) and Snorlax most specifically. I think Gengar might fit in well here to absorb normal hits. Id try Gengar in here somewhere (over Starmie prolly) this also stops the broken Wrap from taking a toll.

Ill come back i i spot something else but i haven't played RBY in ages lol @_@
That is a big problem, Normal type attacks. Gengar is resistant to a lot of common Pokemon and a Tauros at the moment would probably destroy me if Exeggutor doesn't put it to sleep or paralyze it. I might put Gengar in for Starmie, in fact I'll train one of each and see which one I like better at the moment, althought at present I'm leaning towards Gengar, simply due to Tauros.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
hey idk if you started making the team or whatever at this point but i also noticed you dont seem to have any water or grass type moves that could help take out rhydon/golem (although you do have blizzard on starmie)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Persian can really do a number to this team. Rhydon can't really take a Bubblebeam, the rest of your team falls to Slash + Hyper Beam. Gengar can only take Bubblebeams and Thunderbolts so much before it falls too. Tauros can also cause you problems, Blizzard on Rhydon, and Zapdos and Eggy. Body Slam Zam and Chansey, Earthquake on Gengar.

Slowbro, would actually work pretty well on this team. To be honest Chansey + Zam basically do the same thing, except Chansey runs Ice Beam instead of Psychic. They both wall Special hits and spread paralysis and recover when health is low. Slowbro running a set of:

-Amnesia
-Surf
-Thunder Wave
-Rest

Will allow you to take hits better, and dish out huge damage. After 2 Amnesia's Slowbro basically doesn't die. It doesn't scared of anything, able to 2HKO Zapdos with Surf after 1 Amnesia and doesn't even care about Thunderbolts after a second. Its natural bulk also lets it not get buttraped by Persian or Tauros.

Other than that it looks pretty good. Also, I feel like Thunderbolt is a better option than Thunder on Zapdos. Thunder was still inaccurate as hell back then and it couldn't do any of the cool stuff it can these days.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
yeah i think that slowbro set should work nicely here, but i also think this team would need another physical sweeper, or just another pokemon based off physical attacks, such as persian, snorlax, or tauros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back