• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never made a competitive team.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
Years
I've never actualy battled over wifi or anything before so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't exactly remember EVs other than that I used atleast 10 vitamins on all the necesary stats of my pokemon.

Spiritomb @ Wise glasses
Sassy
Pressure

Will-o-wisp
Shadow ball
psychic
silver wind

===

Weezing@ rocky helmet
quirky
levitate

Clear smog
Thunderbolt
payback
Explosion

===

Drapion @ muscle band
Adamant
Battle armor

Swords dance
brick break
Ice fang
Crunch

===

Hydreigon@ white herb
Serious
Levitate

Draco meteor
Earthquake
Crunch
U-turn

===

Metagross@ Leftovers
Sassy
Clear body

Bullet punch
Psychic
Earthquake
shadow ball

===

Milotic@ leftovers
Modest
Marvel scale

Surf
Ice beam
Toxic
Recover

===

When making this team I was trying to think about covering all their weaknesses with a propper switch in. I decided to use spiritomb first because it has no apparent weakness that can be taken advantage of first off in the battle. I hope I won't have anybody who just leaves a comment saying "terrible" or something because I've never done this before.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there! :D

I've never actualy battled over wifi or anything before so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't exactly remember EVs other than that I used atleast 10 vitamins on all the necesary stats of my pokemon.

@Pkmn-Br33der - We need EVs not stats. Stats just make things harder to rate. :(

For someone who has never battled competitively or anything of this nature you are certainly on the right track! :D Allow me to give you a couple of useful links to help in your endeavor. If you want to learn more about EVs you can read that here! That will teach you everything you need to know about EVs and how they impact your Pokemon and subsequent team. Also, here is a B/W EV training Hot Spot guide. If you are in fact planing on using this team to battle over Wifi. However, if you want an alternative way to battle without using Wifi, you can always download Pokemon Online!

Alright, let's move on to your team. Between Spiritomb, Weezing, Drapion, Hydreigon, Metagross, and Milotic, your team seems to have no true outstanding weaknesses. There are some Pokemon that may give your team troubles, but even with three Dark Pokemon, your team appears to be pretty sturdy. The downside to this, is that some of your Pokemon don't fit into the standard play tier (OU). Spiritomb, Drapion, Weezing, and Milotic are all in UU, while Hydreigon and Metagross are in OU. This is all fine, but unfortunately there are Pokemon in OU that can easily replace your Pokemon simply because they can do the same job, only better. Like, for example, Drapion.

Drapion @ muscle band
Adamant
Battle armor

Swords dance
brick break
Ice fang
Crunch

First, Drapion can be utilized in a much better way. It has, in its arsenal, access to Whirlwind and Toxic Spikes. That's what can potentially make it such a powerful opponent. You can set up a layer or two of entry hazards, and pseudo-haze the enemy with Whirlwind around to inflict Toxic damage. It's passive, but effective. Also, you can have Taunt, which can really trip up any other leads Drapion would face, and Knock-Off, to continually disrupt any team. That's how Drapion is best used on a team, simply as a Supportive-Disruptor. Oh, and there are better items you can use to take advantage of Draion's abilities. Unfortunately, the Muscle Band is not one of them. I recommend the Air Balloon (as long as it's not illegal) because Drapion's only weakness is Ground. The Air Balloon will eliminate that.

Drapion @ Air Balloon
Battle Armor
252 HP / 140 Defense / 116 Special Defense
Impish [+Defense; -Special Attack]
- Whirlwind
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Crunch

This set is, more or less, exactly what Skarmory is capable of, just not as good. While Drapion does have good typing and good stats, it is simple outclassed by Pokemon, like Skarmory, who can do it's job better. Plus, it will fit into the OU tier and help your team function better in a competitive environment. Not to mention, Skarmory (or the Drapion set that I suggested) will give you a Pokemon to lay entry hazards, something that is essential in the Metagame nowadays. Anyway, here is a good Skarmory set:

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 HP / 240 Special Defense / 16 Defense
Impish [+Defense; -Special Attack]
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Skarmory is just plain superior to Drapion in all ways. Skarmory has two immunities and nine resistances, as opposed to Drapion who only sports two resistances and one immunity. Skarmory has a base Defense of 140, while Drapion carries a, healthy yet just not as good, 110. Drapion, although relatively versitile in its move pool and average in stats, suffers from a case of lackluster "average-ness". Also, it does not have access to a reliable recovery move, save ResTalk. ;( It's not that Drapion is *bad*, he's just inferior to the other Pokemon who do the same thing. If you insist on using Drapion, by all means, go ahead. That's why I gave you a good set for him. Just realize the implications (or even repercussions :x) of using Drapion in standard play.

Anyway, lets keep going.

Spiritomb @ Wise glasses
Sassy
Pressure

Will-o-wisp
Shadow ball
psychic
silver wind

Spiritomb, while seeming to be a very good Pokemon without any true weaknesses, has many more shortcomings who's benefits don't really outweigh. Spiritomb does best with a reliable recovery move, the aforementioned "ResTalk" being the most effective.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 HP / 172 Special Defense / 84 Defense
Calm [+Defense; -Attack]
- Will-o-Wisp / Calm Mind / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is probably Spiritomb's most standard fare. Will-o-Wisp doesn't exactly have the best synergy with Rest+Sleep Talk, but it's still a good option on a Defensively driven Pokemon. Dark Pulse is your most reliable STAB attack. HP Fighting is probably the more convention options here as Dark / Fighting combination provide near perfect coverage. I suppose you could also use Sucker Punch on Spiritomb, but that would require some editing of EVs and whatnot.

Hydreigon@ white herb
Serious
Levitate

Draco meteor
Earthquake
Crunch
U-turn

Let me just mention something really quick before I move on to Hydreigon. You want to use Natures on your Pokemon that work to said Pokemon's advantages. Natures like, Serious, Bashful, Quirky, or any others that have no effect on the Pokemon's stats are not really recommended for competitive battling. Most, if not all, Pokemon have a stat that has a deficit. In Hydreigon's case, it is most certainly a "Special based" Pokemon. So, it's safe to say that taking the 10% cut in Attack and giving it to Special Attack won't subtract from Hydreigon's potential, seeing as you wouldn't teach it any Physical attacks. (Now, this may not always be the case, as U-Turn is an excellent move on Hydreigon.) Just remember, that you can invest in more than just attacks on any one Pokemon. Such is the case of the Hydreigon I'm about to suggest, where the nature reflects a need for Speed.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Timid [+Speed; -Attack]
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

You might want to try the Choice Scarf set only to get the most out of this serious powerhouse. Unfortunately, moves like Earthquake don't work well on Hydreigon chiefly because there are other Pokemon who can abuse it better. STAB Dark pulse, STAB Draco Meteor. If you don't like the drop in Sp.Attack than you could go with Dragon Pulse. As stated previously, U-Turn might be a good idea if you want to fire off a Draco Meteor and U-Turn to avoid the drop in Sp.Attack and exploit Hydreigons scouting capabilities. However, that requires tweaking in EVs/natures/items. If you want to try that out, just ask and the raters here will be more than willing to help you. :D

Now I'd like to go into Metagross for a bit.

Metagross@ Leftovers
Sassy
Clear body

Bullet punch
Psychic
Earthquake
shadow ball

With only two weaknesses, an immunity, and a small army of resistances, Metagross is a serious monster. As your Metagross stands now, it is not being used to its full potential. However, there are only few things that need to be tweaked so your Metagross can be battle ready! First of all, Sassy is not the nature of choice for this Pokemon. While it's Base Stats are nothing to be scoffed at, it's Special Defense does not any extra help, simply because there are better things to invest the extra boost in that Metagross can really exploit. Attack, is the key stat. That being said, your Metagross will greatly benefit from not having Psychic and Shadow Ball. Sorry to say, but Special Attacks are something that Metagross cannot use to its advantage or compete with.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Clear Body
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack]
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

Metagross is a serious beast. STAB Bullet Punch backed up with a Choice boost can make it an excellent Revenge Killer. Meteor Mash, also backed up with a Choice boost can max out at a base attack of 225. Also, Meteor Mash is Metagross' best STAB option while Earthquake, with it's excellent coverage and power, covers the three types that resists Meteor Mash. Metagross's ability to abuse resistances and hit with a (again, Choice boosted) potential total 607 Attack stat make it a tank. The last move slot is up to you, personally, I like Pursuit because it allow Metagross to switch into the Lati twins and hit them for serious damage. However, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Bulky Waters that wall Metagross and Ice Punch can be used to hit Grass, Dragon, and Ground Types. Which ever serves your purposes better.

On to Milotic!

Milotic@ leftovers
Modest
Marvel scale

Surf
Ice beam
Toxic
Recover

Milotic, is such another, who is simply outclassed by her OU counterparts. However, there is one thing that separates Milotic from (most) other Water types out there, and that thing is Recover. Recover gives Milotic much more competitive merit, but even still, she remains in UU (Milotic.. is UU, right guys?). And yet, the moveset that you have for Milotic is not far from one of the best sets available.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Attack
Bold [+Defense; -Attack]
- Scald / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic / Dragon Tail

Now, with an admirable 394 HP at it's height and a decent set of defenses, Milotic has some real potential as a mixed wall. I prefer Scald over Surf, personally, the 30% chance of inflicting Burn makes Physical Sweepers more wary on switching in, but Surf will hit harder. Ice Beam is a generally great attack, hitting the Dragons and suppling coverage, allowing a OHKO on Salamence with the 4 EV invested in Sp.Attack. Recover really speaks for itself, letting Milotic out-stall Toxic Damage. Toxic will allow Milotic deal with fellow Bulky Waters and stop CalmMind+Recover strategies that exploit Milotic's sheer lack of power. Where Dragon Tail will knock back any opponents who try to set up and inflict damage with the entry hazards that (hopefully) Drapion/Skarmory set up.

Alright, that's all. You still have a few nit-picks that need to be worked out, like items, but I'm spent.

Sorry I never covered Weezing.. Hnnggg... Don't use Explosion, it took a serious cut in power during the generation shift and is damn near pointless. Quirky is another Nature that gives no boosts, so maybe try Relaxed. Umm.. I think people run Flamethrower on Weezing? Maybe Pain Split? I don't know.. I have never used Weezing and I don't know what a standard set would be. Could someone else cover this? ..I'm Sorry.. ;o;

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. It got really late while I was finishing this so if I missed/forgot anything, just correct me.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back