• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Possible Kanto Remake?

Zach!

Alola!
Years
EDIT - Today July 26 2018. - Great thing is i am back from hiatus on here and, I found out LGP/E is comming out. So i was right.
Original text: It is possible, i am serious
and "Dont reply i was bored" or something like th`at.

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Actually, I can see some good discussion out of this.

If you've been keeping an eye on a lot of stuff in the previous two generations, they've been tossing in Kanto there, Kanto this, Kanto that. It's been toned down a bit in this gen, but the Kanto nodding is still there. This is probably leading up to what I think the next generation is going to be - a Kanto reboot.

This idea has already most likely been taken, but I'm definitely not copying anyone else's idea - the whole premise of it is that Kanto is one of the least accessible regions right now. Sure, there's VC RBY, but they're emulations rather than the genuine article, and were only shoved in for Pokemon's 20th. There's HGSS, but that was a more watered down Kanto and Johto was the main focus of the plot, not Kanto. This leaves us with FRLG, which is actually pretty dated as far as Pokemon standards go and it isn't really discussed anymore outside of ROM hacking circles. It should be noted that FRLG gave us an extension of Kanto in the form of the Sevii Islands, with which the concept hasn't been explored to much extent until Alola, which is somewhat similar in some regards. Also, the Sevii Islands provided an expansion to the Team Rocket subplot, leading up to the events of HGSS.

If anything, if they are going to do a strict Kanto reboot, they can't just copy RBY, but take from FRLG because it's more recent and people are going to get bored if it's RBY again, considering people played it on VC. And also, Kanto is a small region on its own, so it needs some expansion, such as bringing back the aforementioned Sevii Islands...or even shoving in Johto.

Reactions: Nah

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't think that the constant Kanto referencing is a sign of another remake coming soon, as they probably just do that since Kanto is the most recognizable part of the franchise and they like to milk that for all it's worth, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get it sometime next generation or the one after that. Just for different reasons.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Actually, I can see some good discussion out of this.

If you've been keeping an eye on a lot of stuff in the previous two generations, they've been tossing in Kanto there, Kanto this, Kanto that. It's been toned down a bit in this gen, but the Kanto nodding is still there. This is probably leading up to what I think the next generation is going to be - a Kanto reboot.

This idea has already most likely been taken, but I'm definitely not copying anyone else's idea - the whole premise of it is that Kanto is one of the least accessible regions right now. Sure, there's VC RBY, but they're emulations rather than the genuine article, and were only shoved in for Pokemon's 20th. There's HGSS, but that was a more watered down Kanto and Johto was the main focus of the plot, not Kanto. This leaves us with FRLG, which is actually pretty dated as far as Pokemon standards go and it isn't really discussed anymore outside of ROM hacking circles. It should be noted that FRLG gave us an extension of Kanto in the form of the Sevii Islands, with which the concept hasn't been explored to much extent until Alola, which is somewhat similar in some regards. Also, the Sevii Islands provided an expansion to the Team Rocket subplot, leading up to the events of HGSS.

If anything, if they are going to do a strict Kanto reboot, they can't just copy RBY, but take from FRLG because it's more recent and people are going to get bored if it's RBY again, considering people played it on VC. And also, Kanto is a small region on its own, so it needs some expansion, such as bringing back the aforementioned Sevii Islands...or even shoving in Johto.

FireRed/LeafGreen is a remake of Red/Blue, not Yellow. Yellow is distinctly different in that your starter is always Pikachu and your rival is always Eevee. Gym Leader teams are different, Elite Four is arguably better and the Team Rocket experience has an Anine feel thanks to Jessie and James. That's not factoring in the Pokemon you can catch in Yellow compared to the other versions(and their movesets are different such as Charizard being able to learn Fly).

If they were to remake Generation 1 again, what exactly would they add other than Mega Evolutions and perhaps end-game content such as the Battle Frontier. Furthermore do you base it on Yellow or do you base it on Red/Blue again? I'd like to see a Yellow remake if only because I'd like the Anime to address Ash giving promises he's yet to keep(such as Butterfree, Primeape, Haunter/Sabrina and Pidgeot). If they did that and had him win the League, they could finally move onto another main protagonist.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I hope they don't. Kanto is overplayed. Most players know it so well, they can play it blindfolded.

It's been in 4 generations. I don't need to see it again. If they again remake it, it's a crutch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
FireRed/LeafGreen is a remake of Red/Blue, not Yellow. Yellow is distinctly different in that your starter is always Pikachu and your rival is always Eevee.

Yellow is distinctly different because unlike any other game, it's an anime tie-in. It really shouldn't be shoved in with Red/Blue. It's not even the typical improved third version. That was Blue for Generation I.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I'd really prefer something new, so I'm not that happy about all these Kanto remake rumours.

However...

I think it could be interesting if they combined a Kanto remake with a Unova style reboot.

By that I mean have Kanto as the region, but have only completely new Pokemon like what they did in Black & White.

(I think that could make for an interesting blend of the old and new.....and almost be like a compromise between people who want Kanto and those who don't)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Kanto should not get too much special treatment, although I would welcome some changes.

1. Move Tutors
The ones in FR/LG can only teach some moves once and that's it.

I would love to see them come back as one Move Tutor who can teach them over and over again as long as you have sufficient BP or Shards, just like in Emerald.

This would be handy for players who cannot get FR/LG to give Clefable Soft-Boiled, as Moonlight doesn't cut it in most situations.

2. Tougher trainers
This would be make the games laughably easier, but some bosses don't play fair, like Sabrina or Koga, whose aces are much higher levelled than Erika's team. Since some G1 Pokémon got the Fairy-type and that many of the original 151 are Poison-types, the difficulty would still be there. Just don't give players the chance to get Mega Gyarados that easily before Sabrina at the very least.

3. The Story and Gameplay
Kanto is one of those regions where you can just become a Trainer straight away in no less than 10 minutes. I'm not looking forward to what handholding might take place, though, as Alola insists on holding you back with sluggish and boring tutorials.

I could see a Delta Episode-like postgame involving Mewtwo and Giovanni, though I would prefer not to be forced to capture the former, like how recent games would force you to catch the Mascot/Third Legendary to continue the game.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'd much rather, if we have to revisit Kanto, that we get a new story and adventure out of it, rather than the same one. Add in the ability to explore Johto in full postgame and I'd be certainly more keen.

I also don't want to see some design decisions in FRLG repeated here, such as the 'you can't evolve Pokemon like Golbat into Crobat, etc' "feature". Limiting trading with other games until doing a chunk of postgame was just obtuse too.
This idea has already most likely been taken, but I'm definitely not copying anyone else's idea - the whole premise of it is that Kanto is one of the least accessible regions right now. Sure, there's VC RBY, but they're emulations rather than the genuine article, and were only shoved in for Pokemon's 20th. There's HGSS, but that was a more watered down Kanto and Johto was the main focus of the plot, not Kanto.
Nitpick - HGSS has a pretty large Kanto imo, unlike GSC (that Kanto was tiny). Only things that are really downsized are the dungeon of the Power Plant replaced by people working (makes sense), a radio tower in place of Pokemon Tower, and Mt Moon (which I can't say was a very fun experience in the first place!).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I agree, make it a completely new story with proper updated evolutions and mechanics (and graphics) and it'll be interesting!

I'll just move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, as it fits better there speculating, rather than talking about the old games as they are :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I agree, make it a completely new story with proper updated evolutions and mechanics (and graphics) and it'll be interesting!

I'll just move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, as it fits better there speculating, rather than talking about the old games as they are :)

It's needs more than that to be interesting. The layout is too well known, still. They should set it 100+ years into the future so that it'll be even more different.

Definitely not the same time period; the region itself is still overplayed no matter how many new evolutions, mechanics and Pokemon they add. Kanto in 3D is still the same exact Kanto I've played through well over a dozen times.
Enough already.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
It could be possible but personally Im more looking forward to to gen4 remakes since I like it more than gen1. But a 2nd gen1 remake would be fine, all I care about now is if I have a good game to play.

Years
I'm honestly just done with Kanto lol

if anything at all, if Gen 8 is a Red/Blue remake of some sort, make it the last one for like the next decade and a half.

Kanto got enough special treatment over the generations and it doesn't need anymore than having its own game on the Switch.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I have no desire to return to Kanto at all. I didn't enjoy the Kanto games a lot. I thought that a lot of Kanto itself was badly designed and the region was quite boring. There were a lot of caves that we had to pass through and it was all grassland. Quite boring honestly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Another one? Please NO.

We have visited Kanto how many times now? 10? Red,blue,yellow,gold,silver,crystal,FR,LG,SS,HG
And it is referenced in almost every single game at somepoint.

There is really no need for even more Kanto, at least not for the next decade. If Pokemon Switch is Kanto as well then I shall be skipping it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
Kanto is referenced WAY DAMNED TOO MUCH!
Honestly if Switch is going to be Kanto AGAIN and not brand new region... I am going to skip it.
GF has chosen easy route since blueprint is already here and all they need to do is decorate it without needing to create something new.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
A friend brought up too, that Kanto was at its best way back in Gen 1, despite the glitches.

I can't disagree either. It had a sort of edge to it that the gen 3 games couldn't recapture, and I doubt the Switch could either.

Kanto was so memorable because it was on that scrappy little GB game; it still resonates with people in that form too. Lavender Town, anyone?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
A friend brought up too, that Kanto was at its best way back in Gen 1, despite the glitches.

I can't disagree either. It had a sort of edge to it that the gen 3 games couldn't recapture, and I doubt the Switch could either.

Kanto was so memorable because it was on that scrappy little GB game; it still resonates with people in that form too. Lavender Town, anyone?

A Kanto remake could be done if only to introduce Mega Evolutions and Pokemon Contests but aside from that... what's left to add that FireRed/LeafGreen didn't do a decent job in doing? Furthermore, as you mentioned, Generation 1 had a certain charm to it that can't be quantified or captured on a modern platform. The limitations of the old school Gameboy made for a unique experience, glitches and all(and frankly those glitches is what made them fun and unique).

Back