• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
@Pearlone
Spoiler:

Years
Hey I want to know how to add a time event on a script? Like if I talk to a person only in the morning he will give me an item.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2011
Spoiler:

I don't think there's anything wrong with this script, that's supposed to give running shoes. But it's a script event, and I think it's because the unknown and var are off. Please help.

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
Years

okay, i am going to fricking kill myself if i don't get an explanation.
ok, number 1, pointers and dynamic offsets don't make any frickin sense, as i have tried everything, and when i save it to the rom (i copied give pokemon code and adjusted it to fit the rom), when i opened up the event in XSE, IT DIDN"T CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2. where do you even put the pointers like (your example, @blah ; @iliketoeatcheese ; @1234567890)
3. when you open up a blank offset (after fsf) it says something like
_---------------------- or the sort with a
org @(blahblah)

( i know this isn't right format, but you get it)
do you delete these, do you just start writing under, do you take out org @(whatever) and then start tyeping
WHAT DO YOU DOOOO??? I AM GONIG CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (huff huff)
ok. calm down.

anyone care to kindly explain everything before i hang myself???

p.s. i did this under person event? is it just script?
p.s.#2 i am very very good with advance map (screw the scripting) so to make a effecrtive game, i have to learn scripting.

can anyone please just make like a god program where it does scripting for you
ex. What would you like this person to say? 'hi im bob' (clicks save and person says that in game)
or What pokemkon would you like him to give your player?
(click charmander)(plays game and then gets the charmander)
is there a program that does this stuff for you and makes things easier. like advance starter? instead of going to scripting and changing it, you just load up a stupid program, change the stupid settings and then play the stupid game.
sorry, but still?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2011
okay, i am going to fricking kill myself if i don't get an explanation.
ok, number 1, pointers and dynamic offsets don't make any frickin sense, as i have tried everything, and when i save it to the rom (i copied give pokemon code and adjusted it to fit the rom), when i opened up the event in XSE, IT DIDN"T CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2. where do you even put the pointers like (your example, @blah ; @iliketoeatcheese ; @1234567890)
3. when you open up a blank offset (after fsf) it says something like
_---------------------- or the sort with a
org @(blahblah)

( i know this isn't right format, but you get it)
do you delete these, do you just start writing under, do you take out org @(whatever) and then start tyeping
WHAT DO YOU DOOOO??? I AM GONIG CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (huff huff)
ok. calm down.

anyone care to kindly explain everything before i hang myself???

p.s. i did this under person event? is it just script?
p.s.#2 i am very very good with advance map (screw the scripting) so to make a effecrtive game, i have to learn scripting.

can anyone please just make like a god program where it does scripting for you
ex. What would you like this person to say? 'hi im bob' (clicks save and person says that in game)
or What pokemkon would you like him to give your player?
(click charmander)(plays game and then gets the charmander)
is there a program that does this stuff for you and makes things easier. like advance starter? instead of going to scripting and changing it, you just load up a stupid program, change the stupid settings and then play the stupid game.
sorry, but still?

dynamic offsets are the points in the game where you want your message to go. And you can't just copy-pasta the codes. You have to tailor them on XSE to fit your own ROM, you can't just take diegoisawesome's codes. I've only recently started, but my ROM is progressing fast, because of this tut. If you read it thoroughly, you would find your answers. And the answer to your not question is no, there is not a program like that, according to my knowledge.

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
Years
sorry for my blow up. i have one question however, when i have sampled other scripts to give me an idea, they have the org @(whatever) right? but then the dynamic offsets and the msgbox (whatever) is different than the original offsets? how do you customize them.
p.s. sorry i love scripting (if i could do it) and i have great ideas, except i can't do them because of scripting. thanks!

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Spoiler:

I don't think there's anything wrong with this script, that's supposed to give running shoes. But it's a script event, and I think it's because the unknown and var are off. Please help.
Of course you have to set the 'var' and 'unknown'.
Spoiler:

You have to insert 'Person event no.' not the 'no.'

sorry for my blow up. i have one question however, when i have sampled other scripts to give me an idea, they have the org @(whatever) right? but then the dynamic offsets and the msgbox (whatever) is different than the original offsets? how do you customize them.
p.s. sorry i love scripting (if i could do it) and i have great ideas, except i can't do them because of scripting. thanks!

The 0x2,0x3... after 'msgbox' are parameters, not offsets.

Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2011
I have a problem with the give pokemon script.
Eevee's number is 133 in the hex values but when I put that number in and play the game I get Breloom instead why?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Nice tutorial. I am able to get working trainers now.

Because you have to convert the 133 to hex ;)
So instead of 133 put into your script 85 ;)

I am using Windows 7, and to convert to hex with Windows Calculator is easy. Alls you have to do is this:

Open calc
Click Veiw > Programmer
Check in Decimal at the left, type in the Pokémon ID number
Then check in Hex. The new number is the hex value of the decimal.

Derlo

Tired....
Years
Anyone know how to apply a motion in a virtual sprite?

createsprite 0x98 0x99 0x10 0x15 0x0 0x0
applymovement 0x99 0x880EA27
waitmovement 0x0
return

I tried this way
but yielded nothing.

And have researched the command in XSE.
but did not find anything related to VS movements

If anyone can help, thanks.

Last edited:

xGGxToiZ

>.//:SO HOT:\\.<
Years
There's a problem

Spoiler:

That script needs a little tweak. You should use msgbox @XXX* 0x4 when doing a script like that. It's better that way and to close it, just use closeonkeypress. I know you can use "message" but you can use msgbox just to be safe.

Also, shouldn't the raw movements be placed in a vertical manner?

The setflag 0x82F is placed at the bottom, but it should work the same.
Don't use the Event# in A-map, use the People#. 'Cause really, I haven't encountered nor done a movement involving a # such as 0. The lowest people# is one, right?

And, it's fanfare 0xXXX* not playfanfare.

And if you wish to do the "[PLAYER] received RUNNING SHOES." thingy with the fanfare, it should be like this:
Spoiler:

And oh, Unknown: 0003
Var: 5000 or higher. (7FFF)

*Where XXX is the pointer to the text or the sappy song # to play.

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
Years
. . .

Spoiler:

Yup, just common sense and a bit of your brain is needed.
It's quite easy.

Oh, please use spoilers . . :) (My PC's slowing down :()
:D

An add-on:

You don't see a dynamic offset there (#dynamic 0xXXXXXX), it's because it has been compiled into the ROM already! (The very first #org 0xXXXXXX that you see in the script.)
The reason why XSE uses Dynamic offsets is that you only have to put the starting offset then the rest of the @XXXXXX will be filled. It makes it easier for the scripter, okay?

And you really need a ScriptGen? Oh come on, anybody can script! You just need to practice and be patient! So what if you read Diego's tut a million times if you don't UNDERSTAND the heck that you're reading! (Well, if you like to use a generator that's fine, I'm not telling you what to do anyway, but to really learn, you need to do it yourself.)

Not being mad or anything, I'm just saying that you need to UNDERSTAND, not just read. (Don't rush yourself, take your time.)

~PEACE :)

I guess... So how long did it take you to make your first working script??? i have been trying this for 2 weeks and still nothing. somehow, when i search for 10 bytes for messaging scripts (do i need more?) and then i get the script offset, then when i type in (or use generator) and then save after everything is touched up, and then i compile and then open the rom. (pksvui) and then it said compiled. so after its compiled i open it up again with advance map and it didn't compile at all. XSE doesn't compile at all, it shuts down when i click compile (without even asking me if i want to save ???) and pksvui all it shows is something like this
org 0x(script offset)
-________________________
then it shows
raw ##(or something like that)
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
Im sorry, but there are too many raws to compile this script.

that is all it sais when i create a new script.

I am not totally useless however, i can open up scripts asis and change the script itself. can't change it into anything fancy, but ima workin on it. !
Thanks!
just to get this straight, what you put in org 0x(script offset)
you put the same script offset in dynamic offset?

xGGxToiZ

Years

I guess... So how long did it take you to make your first working script??? i have been trying this for 2 weeks and still nothing. somehow, when i search for 10 bytes for messaging scripts (do i need more?) and then i get the script offset, then when i type in (or use generator) and then save after everything is touched up, and then i compile and then open the rom. (pksvui) and then it said compiled. so after its compiled i open it up again with advance map and it didn't compile at all. XSE doesn't compile at all, it shuts down when i click compile (without even asking me if i want to save ???) and pksvui all it shows is something like this
org 0x(script offset)
-________________________
then it shows
raw ##(or something like that)
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
raw ##
Im sorry, but there are too many raws to compile this script.

that is all it sais when i create a new script.

I am not totally useless however, i can open up scripts asis and change the script itself. can't change it into anything fancy, but ima workin on it. !
Thanks!
just to get this straight, what you put in org 0x(script offset)
you put the same script offset in dynamic offset?

Me? My first well-made script was a level script and took me some time to finish. (There are a lot of commands to put, but it was quite fun to do :))

When doing a message script, 256 bytes are enough. (Unless you mix it with more commands.)

When compiling in XSE, a Compiler Output must appear.
Like this one:
Spoiler:

Next, close XSE and you may want to save your script if you want to revise it or if something goes wrong. Then, you copy the dynamic offset and paste it in the "OFFSET" box in A-map.
Like this:
Spoiler:

Just make sure you choose an offset with big enough space to avoid overwriting other scripts or data. Then test it in-game, if it works out fine, then you've successfully made a working script! If not, try again and see what caused the problem. Hope that helps you!

P.S. This thread really helped me so much in scripting so please don't call this "crap" because it helps other people, ok?

~:)

Last edited:

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
Years
. . . . .

sorry that i called it a stupid tutorial. i promise i wont say that ever again. i guess it is very helpful (now that i see it again with fresh new eyes on a fresh new day). Sorry diego!

ROCK ON DIEGO!!!!!!!!

yeah, umm how does the compiler out put appear? i click batch compiler and like i said, it just
cloooossseeeeeessss like i said for the tenth time. until i figure this out i am still ticked at XSE not diego. but if yall can't tell me how to use the batch compiler after writing the code, none of this tutorial is really helpful (to me that is).
please rate this simple code which is (when i used fsf) 300 bytes

'---------------
#org 0x6B1804
#dynamic 0x6B1804
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nHow are you doing?

so do you take out the beginning
'------------
#org 0x Blah blah
or do you just add dynamic offset at the bottom like i did? or what?
because none of you guys or diego actually made that clear (to me that is).
:)

Last edited:

xGGxToiZ

Years
sorry that i called it a stupid tutorial. i promise i wont say that ever again. i guess it is very helpful (now that i see it again with fresh new eyes on a fresh new day). Sorry diego!

ROCK ON DIEGO!!!!!!!!

yeah, umm how does the compiler out put appear? i click batch compiler and like i said, it just
cloooossseeeeeessss like i said for the tenth time. until i figure this out i am still ticked at XSE not diego. but if yall can't tell me how to use the batch compiler after writing the code, none of this tutorial is really helpful (to me that is).
please rate this simple code which is (when i used fsf) 300 bytes

'---------------
#org 0x6B1804
#dynamic 0x6B1804
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nHow are you doing?

so do you take out the beginning
'------------
#org 0x Blah blah
or do you just add dynamic offset at the bottom like i did? or what?
because none of you guys or diego actually made that clear (to me that is).
:)

Here I corrected it:
Spoiler:

If you want a simpler one:
Spoiler:

The outcome will be the same. (But use 0x2 only for message scripts.)

If you're going to compile one script, don't use the batch compiler.
Just press the button that looks like 2 Gears. (To the right of the diskette icon.)
Or press Ctrl+Shift+C to compile. The Compiler Output should appear. (Unless you disabled it.) Then copy the dynamic offset and paste it in A-map.

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Help

Ok so I have just 2 questions:
1) How do you remove a script once it is completed because I made a script but then all of a sudden when you step back on the same spot the script will happen again, how can I fix this.
Also how do you make it so that they activate the Running Shoes?

Here is the Script:
Spoiler:

Now for Question 2
2) When I walk up to try and use this script the game resets itself back to the title screen before I even reach it.
Here is the Script:
Spoiler:

How do I fix this?

Back