• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Persona: Memory's Edge

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
But Fifi, you may say, don't you have too many Interest checks active right now? That answer is yes, but I've slowly worked on this in the back of my head for a while, so why not.

.​
OOC //
Persona: Memory's Edge

I am thou, and thou art I...

The city of Havencross, North Carolina has been going through some rapid changes the past few years. The mountain city is currently one of the epicenters of a pharmaceutical boom, and with it came the massive draw of people and money into the once-struggling city. Synocrine Industries, the company largely responsible for the boom has even designated Havencross as the new headquarters for their new offshoot Mnemo Pharmaceuticals, created to advance research into the newly discovered field of memory therapy. Alongside this move is the construction of the nation's first fully independent Memory Therapy clinic, offering memory alterations free from a hospital setting.

Memory Therapy has taken off in populated cities, allowing victims to remove traumatic memories or replace them with something more pleasant. Helping to fund further research is the option of implanting memories for wealthy clients looking for certain experiences without having to take the time to experience itself, or dangerous situations minus the danger. Although Mnemo is a new company, its start has been marred by controversy. Aside from the obvious reactions to memory alteration, a new disease has started to spread. Sudden Retrograde Amnesia Disorder (SRAD) has been the subject of large scale investigation, but so far evidence towards it having anything to do with Mnemo or Memory Therapy in general has been inconclusive at best. There has also been a small string of disappearances in Havencross, which the police have been all to quick to dismiss as a consequence of the population boom.

But none of this concerns you... yet. For now you are just a student in the newly built private school St. Dominic High School with occasionally odd dreams. Whether you come from wealth and privately funded your tuition or you're a scholarship student with a lot to prove, you made the cut for the first class through its doors. Things aren't likely to be that simple forever though.

Ultimately it will fall to you to find the truth behind the mysteries surrounding Mnemo, SRAD, and the missing people. unlikely as it sounds. You will be assisted in this task through your access to the Mirrored World. It seems your dreams has conferred more than just unease to you, as you soon gain the ability to fall through glass surfaces and enter a twisted version of the world within. This land is influences by the memories and desires of mankind, and largely inhabited by monsters formed from the darkest of humanity's thoughts call Shadows. You can defeat the shadows yourself, but you are not alone in fighting them. Deep within you is the power of Persona, an extenstion of your own will made manifest through your Anchor to the Past, a memory you can never forget so powerful it has guided you into who you are today.

Your Persona is a part of you, for better or worse. It reacts to your will and is only summon-able by you. You will only have one Persona for this RP, although those with the power to call multiple Personas do exist. A Persona most often takes the form of a mythological figure, beast, or a real person who's deeds have taken on a mystic quality (e.g. Caesar, Blackbeard, etc).

Your Persona has fantastic abilities in addition to their fantastic appearance. They often possess supernatural strength, destructive magic, and the ability to heal wounds. The type of abilities they have are listed below (they can have two, hover over the text for descriptions).​

Fire||Ice|| Lightning||Wind||Physical||Gun||Nuclear||Psi||Blessed||Cursed||Healing||Support||Debuff||Almighty.

It is inside this other world where you will need to piece together the truth, literally. The fragmented pieces of lost memories rest in here, and are the key to making sense of anything that happened here. The shadows are not willing to give them up without a fight, however, and some powerful ones have started appearing in the shape of people.​

Persona and their masters fall into one of 23 arcana, each symbolizing specific traits about your character as a whole. The arcana descriptions are given in hovertext over each image. Your arcana doesn't have to match your character as they start 100%, as working to embody your arcana is part of the growth process for characters.​

tZ9Bwvj.png
uLkno5P.png
YeiBTRV.png
seWsChc.png
GNIboV7.png
Kdtgp43.png
foG82Lb.png
f6pvrGA.png
jyG4nGC.png
984GYJQ.png
v13lVpP.png
oXu9Bvy.png
pIGoPNo.png
su6u1DV.png
kUPfpLB.png
PyM8C4g.png
4JAarxd.png
1mikPkO.png
2sF40tc.png
oGRvFHC.png

UNAVAILABLE ARCANA
These Arcana are part of the major arcana in real life, but represent much more in the games. Because of these gameplay reasons, they have been cut but explained.​

zOrw1bW.png
ug5hsxX.png
j9Bujko.png

Gameplay will be spent between free sessions where the players live as normal high school students and freely work to solve minor issues in the Mirror World (some memories of SRAD victims are held in "bubbles" where larger shadows are unable to detect them, making them easy to gather and repair). Progress with the main plot is tracked by "Arcs". Arcs represent a large goal players work towards, such as recovery of memory fragments from a particularly well defended area of the Mirror world or significant events in the real world (Midterms, vacations, etc). Smaller events are managed by "Phases", which is a cue that certain actions need to be done, or announcing free time.​

tS0I6j7.png

Examples of a Phase would be instructions to "Have normal School time", "Explore Location X", or "Defeat Shadows X, Y, and Z".

Simply put, Phases are there to help guide the narrative and prevent stagnation by providing specific cues without delegating to a mission style system. Players are free to make their own choices in regards to how they approach the phase, but still have an objective.

Memory Fragments are held inside elaborate dungeons by powerful shadows and their lesser minions. Collecting these fragments involves not only finding where they are being held, but navigating the dungeon over time to actually finding them. Players will not be able to recover a major fragment with one exploration or combat, but it is a build up to recovery.​

Last edited:

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
As of course you are already aware of, I am very much on board with this concept and would love to join. I may even have a previous concept from the other Persona RP on here to toy with too.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Are you positive you want to encourage 23 individual characters like the last Persona?

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Are you positive you want to encourage 23 individual characters like the last Persona?

I didn't say anything about 23 players? I normally aim for 8 for my RPs, but there are 22 major arcana in a standard tarot deck and Persona also uses Crowley's Aeon Arcana. I just wanted to state all of them to familiarize people with them, and not hand pick 8 specific character types.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
Will I need to be knowledgeable in some way in Persona prior to signing up? I ask since I have yet to introduce myself to it.

Tricksquad1992

Just chilling in the shadows.
Years
I really like this idea and have kinda already made a minor character while playing Persona 5 last year. This sounds like something I'd love to be in!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
I didn't say anything about 23 players? I normally aim for 8 for my RPs, but there are 22 major arcana in a standard tarot deck and Persona also uses Crowley's Aeon Arcana. I just wanted to state all of them to familiarize people with them, and not hand pick 8 specific character types.
No, I assumed this was just a reiteration of the last Persona RP in terms of player acceptance;
It's my bad. I'm personally glad you included all 23 for variety.

I'd suggest detailing how you plan on accepting signups, if here's a method to it, in the OOC you end up posting.

Last edited:

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Will I need to be knowledgeable in some way in Persona prior to signing up? I ask since I have yet to introduce myself to it.

Nope! Each main series Persona game is independently playable and introduces the player to the setting each time, and specifics of the setting (such as summoning Personas and how the other world work) are different each time. I will guide people through it just as the games do.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
*foams at the mouth*

OH MY SWIRLS, YES! I'm a huge Persona fan, and with the holidays being over, I have some free time on my hands.

As for constructive commentary, I like the idea of phases, and the whole plot in general.

*wipes foam with cloth, foams again*

Back