• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
I have been attempting to edit my moms words in pallet town. I correctly type in words, link it to the words at the bottom, however when i compile, everything goes to hell. It cuts things out, duplicates the original text over and over...
I have been attempting to write more complicated scripts using this tutorial for 3 years on and off. What is it with any game that i play that things go to hell when i try to edit it? There is no point in me putting in my edited script for you to see because i changed words, i didn't add anything else. Im think about just giving up due to either the tutorial not supplying enough information about some of the more obscure items in coding, or the fact that no matter which XSE version i use, rom, or tool, things just don't work. I mean come on, there are paragraphs about just adding speech message boxes but the setvar stuff, he wrote maybe like 2 or 3 sentences that barely described what it is instead of what i can use it for. its not a tutorial if it can't explain different ways to utilize code. I know its about creativity but toss me a bone here, at least!!! I am an adult so i know its not my lack of comprehension of the material. PLEASE HELP

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
Does anyone know a solution to this? I've googled and searched but most of the top bar of tools on XSE won't let me click them(the attachment shows what I mean) The circled ones work though. Edit: For some reason this only happens on one script though, the script doesn't compile either(as far as I know) This is the script if anyone wants to see it
Spoiler:
Maybe there is something wrong with it? There is another which won't work too
Spoiler:
Keep in mind that I am bad at this
(at least I think I am) Edit: Ignore the save feature not being circled, I always have the File button.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
Does anyone know a solution to this? I've googled and searched but most of the top bar of tools on XSE won't let me click them(the attachment shows what I mean) The circled ones work though. Edit: For some reason this only happens on one script though, the script doesn't compile either(as far as I know) This is the script if anyone wants to see it
Spoiler:
Maybe there is something wrong with it? There is another which won't work too
Spoiler:
Keep in mind that I am bad at this
(at least I think I am) Edit: Ignore the save feature not being circled, I always have the File button.

Your problem lies with the check flag portion of the script, the number should be 1 not 2 as the only numbers allowed are 0 and 1 (off and on).

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
the number should be 1 not 2 as the only numbers allowed are 0 and 1 (off and on).

I changed the line in the first one to this
Spoiler:
, but it won't let me compile it still. (Sorry if you or I misinterpreted the question/answer)

Edit: Now this script won't let me compile it either :
Spoiler:
Oh, and the save button wouldn't work because the thing was already saved... :|

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
I changed the line in the first one to this
Spoiler:
, but it won't let me compile it still. (Sorry if you or I misinterpreted the question/answer)

Edit: Now this script won't let me compile it either :
Spoiler:
Oh, and the save button wouldn't work because the thing was already saved... :|

Okay, I've rewritten your script to the way I would do it and fixed all of the problems; this script should compile (I'd try myself but I'm getting ready to go to college):

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
Lock
checkflag 0x7492
if 1 goto @true
msgbox @door 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x2
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @door
= The door won't budge.

#org @true
release
end

I hope I helped :)

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Okay, I've rewritten your script to the way I would do it and fixed all of the problems; this script should compile (I'd try myself but I'm getting ready to go to college):

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
Lock
checkflag 0x7492
if 1 goto @true
msgbox @door 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x2
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @door
= The door won't budge.

#org @true
release
end

I hope I helped :)

Actually I found incorrect there. I think checkflag is not needed to a simple script like this.
This is how I ended up correcting yours.

#dynamic 0x800000 (Better if you search on FSF)

#org @start
lock
if 0x1 goto @true
msgbox @door 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x2
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @door
= The door won't budge.

#org @true
release
end

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
Actually I found incorrect there. I think checkflag is not needed to a simple script like this.
This is how I ended up correcting yours.

#dynamic 0x800000 (Better if you search on FSF)

#org @start
lock
if 0x1 goto @true
msgbox @door 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x2
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @door
= The door won't budge.

#org @true
release
end

I kept the check flag part of the script in because I figured that this script may be part of another one. So something happens in another script and then it sets a flag, which he is using in this one (probably to make the script only run at a certain part of the game).
But as for the wait movement, I forgot to add that in but I don't think it is needed when moving the player.

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
I kept the check flag part of the script in because I figured that this script may be part of another one.
That is true, but I do not think any one seems to understand my problem, I just put the script in because I thought it was the problem. My problem is that XSE won't let me hit the compile button.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
That is true, but I do not think any one seems to understand my problem, I just put the script in because I thought it was the problem. My problem is that XSE won't let me hit the compile button.

If that is the problem then I am afraid that the script is not the problem, although there were a few problems with it anyway. The problem must lie with XSE as I am sure that it lets you compile the script even with script errors, it just notifies you that there is an error. I suggest just downloading XSE again from a different source.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years

Download XSE 1.1.1 and the script was also the problem because there's wrong.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
If you are talking to me I would like to know how, I can't seem to find an option for it, and if this is the case...

Just click the blue folder on top..
6Juts7m.png

If loading your rom in XSE doesn't fix your issue, your script must be wrong.

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
... Wowwww, I should go scream at something now...

I know everyone is probably sick of my problems, and I apologize for that but I have another...

This script works perfectly, except for the fact that the line:
Spoiler:
doesn't seem to work in game, and when I step on the tile after the script has been done, the game freezes.

Here is the full script
Spoiler:

Last edited:

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
Satoshi Ookami;8084843[B said:
Btw why lock after applymovement...?[/B]
For some reason it was releasing the player so I thought that would fix it.

Edit: Okay, that helps, but I want to know why my game keeps freezing when I step back on the tile, and when I play as a girl trainer, it gives me the Growlithe, but then it gives me the Eevee for the boy trainer too.

Last edited:

ThunderVolt

James T.
Years
Thank you!!
Because of you, i made a little hack, it took me 50 minutes.
A new guy has added in Viridian City!
He gives you ALL (NO LEGENDARY) KANTO UNEVOLVED POKEMON at level 5! :p

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
So I'm having a problem here. Whenever I enter a script, the sprite appears in the wrong position and crashes the game upon speaking to it. i think I added it wrong. I got passed that. The sprite appears in the correct place now, however, the script does not activate. the game just lets out the little beep when you press a, but no chatbox pops up. just a basic talking script.

It's in the spoiler down below, although I don't think it has anything to do with how I've written it, but inserted it.

Spoiler:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
So I'm having a problem here. Whenever I enter a script, the sprite appears in the wrong position and crashes the game upon speaking to it. i think I added it wrong. I got passed that. The sprite appears in the correct place now, however, the script does not activate. the game just lets out the little beep when you press a, but no chatbox pops up. just a basic talking script.

It's in the spoiler down below, although I don't think it has anything to do with how I've written it, but inserted it.

Spoiler:

- Check if you have opened the correct ROM with XSE.
Spoiler:

- Make sure that you have copied the offset XSE provides you after you compiled it.
Spoiler:

- Make sure that you have pasted the correct offset to your NPC.

Back