• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokéCommunity Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Oh no, how did I miss out Barry/Paul? That was my favourite couple in DP XD Barry never got a chance to fine Paul, though. Trip/Paul? So...that's like Paul/Paul, right? XP But that is interesting, I've never thought of that before XD

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
I need to re-watch DP so that I can look at all the Twinleafshipping episodes and the Barry/Paul moments for some good times and yup, Paul likes himself so Paul and Trip would be a great couple!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I bet Trip has taken some very dirty pictures on that camera of his. :x

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Trip has probably been stalking Paul through out the DP series, realizing he might be the one for him. XD I'm also curious what is in that camera of his.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
lol at the last few posts XD Stalker Trip has photos of Paul, and "idolises" him, which is why they are so similar...

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
Years
Darn it, I missed my chance to present my (anti) Wishfulshipping arguments and now we're talkinga bout Paul and Stalker!Trip and I don't know which one I should talk about XDDD

How about both!? First with my Wishfulshipping stance. As a disclaimer, I respect wishfulshippers, a lot of them are my friends, and I don't think it's a silly ship. But I do have my opinions on the what I think is yet another case of strange popularity inflation...

Rather than be a good person and restate my claims, I'm just going to copy and paste a conversation I had on another forum with a friend about this. It's pretty much Negaishipping vs. Wishful (since I recently made a Negaishipping AMV and apparently, this is so horrible XD). Quoted is my friend, non-quotes are me. I thought he brought up some interesting points. WARNING: Wall of text, ranting, off-topicness to other pairings and possibly offensive since I'm an insensitive b*stard :P

Feel free to point out any fallacies.

Spoiler:

*COUGH* Comashippers, REPRESENT! >:D
I think that Trip is just...excited by everyone. He took "in your face" pics of Ash, Iris AND Dento...The kid has a problem! He does seem like the fanboy type, so I don't doubt that he'd fall instantly for Paul or you know, fight him for Ash's maid outfit negatives...I mean, love. It doesn't help that he's voiced by the same person who did Barry in the dub XD

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
How about both!? First with my Wishfulshipping stance. As a disclaimer, I respect wishfulshippers, a lot of them are my friends, and I don't think it's a silly ship. But I do have my opinions on the what I think is yet another case of strange popularity inflation...

Honestly, the whole Iris/Dento relationship just feels like a revamp of Brock/Misty's relationship, but I'll get into that later. At this point I don't feel Iris likes anyone as anything more than just a good friend. I certainly don't ever see Ash, or Dento gaining an infatuation with Iris.

The whole argument that Dento is just being over-the-top just to annoy Iris is kinda silly. That's who Dento is, and I certainly don't see Iris "flirting" with Dento through her annoyance with his mannerisms. Iris being a debbie downer, and snarky is part of her character. Does being Snarky towards Ash, Trip, and Georgia mean she's "flirting" with them too? No, it's just who she is. While the idea of him doing so just to annoy the hell out of her is fun, he's not. Dento is a very expressive character so naturally he's going the act the way he does regardless of who is around.

As for her calling him annoying or w/e...that could easily be attributed to her character personality as well. Going back to Misty, and Brock for a moment...most of the time Brock had an over the top reaction to women in his case, Misty was always the one to react, and show the most annoyance. They use to host the HoSo specials together in Japan, waaay back in the Hoenn days. Brock would start talking his usual talk, and Misty would hit him with a fan or use the Gyarados water gun thing on him. That aside, we are going to need more than hey, Iris is annoyed with Dento to actually say she has an interest in him. Some actual concrete evidence would be nice.

In terms of the "Sublte" hints argument. The "touching shoulders" has been done many times before. May has touched Brock shoulders, Misty has done the same, Dawn has touched Ash shoulders, and Iris even touched Ash shoulders when asking Leorona(sp?) what kind of trainer Ash is. So, that's not particularly a strong point. I'll let the whole "hide behind Dent" slide, but even then May and Misty have hidden behind Brock as well. So eh.

All in all, Iris is going to need alot more than just what she has displayed so far. Negaishipping is in the same boat. However, that comes down to 'your mileage may vary" as well..given that Iris hasn't shown a real attraction to Ash either.

Last edited:

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
Years
  • Age 22
  • Asia
  • Seen Mar 11, 2015
*COUGH* Comashippers, REPRESENT! >:D
I think that Trip is just...excited by everyone. He took "in your face" pics of Ash, Iris AND Dento...The kid has a problem! He does seem like the fanboy type, so I don't doubt that he'd fall instantly for Paul or you know, fight him for Ash's maid outfit negatives...I mean, love. It doesn't help that he's voiced by the same person who did Barry in the dub XD
Should Comashipping even be considered a real shipping? :P

I mean, Paul was so cold and indifferent towards Ash during DP, he barely smiled except for the moments when he made Ash's Pokémon suffer. If their relationship was more friendly there could have been more basis for the supposed "relationship". But all they ever developed on was their rivalry which is what Trip's "rivalry" with Ash seems to lack of. Yeah, Paul learned to respect Ash, to respect his way of training, he changed into a better person but their friendship wasn't really a friendship - Paul was so cold and stoic most of the time towards Ash. So yeah, I can't even see Ash and Paul as normal friends, yet alone as lovers. <_<

p.s. :P

Does being Snarky towards Ash, Trip, and Georgia mean she's "flirting" with them too? No, it's just who she is. While the idea of him doing so just to annoy the hell out of her is fun, he's not. Dento is a very expressive character so naturally he's going the act the way he does regardless of who is around.
Not really. While I admit that the same teasing she does with Ash could be attributed to Negaishipping as well, it's kinda gotten really obvious that she has this chemistry with Cilan which she only shares with him. Georgia is her rival and thus their rival-like relationship is similar to the Ash/Gary one, albeit, more *****y in female kind of way. Not to mention that Iris was snarky only once towards Trip, how is that even supposed to be flirting?

All in all, Iris is going to need alot more than just what she has displayed so far. Negaishipping is in the same boat. However, that comes down to 'your mileage may vary" as well..given that Iris hasn't shown a real attraction to Ash either.
I'd also like to point out the blushing in the subway when Cilan was acting like a total nerd. Ash acts like an idiot all the time around different people but now suddenly she was embarrassed by Cilan's behavior? Why?

Oh, by the way, the Cottonee episode. Why was Cilan so bothered with Iris speaking about love with her mouth full? Did he feel as if Iris didn't respect love as much as he did? He was obviously kinda annoyed by that.

All I can say is, we're halfway through, and there are more Iris/Cilan moments awaiting us in the future, for sure.

CommanderPigg

Years
Honestly, the whole Iris/Dento relationship just feels like a revamp of Brock/Misty's relationship, but I'll get into that later. At this point I don't feel Iris likes anyone as anything more than just a good friend. I certainly don't ever see Ash, or Dento gaining an infatuation with Iris.
The only thing is that Misty was never really that antagonistic towards Brock. In most cases she would side with him and gang up on Ash for his immaturity; While Dento seems very biased towards Ash XDDD But yeah, they just seem like friends to me.

The whole argument that Dento is just being over-the-top just to annoy Iris is kinda silly. That's who Dento is, and I certainly don't see Iris "flirting" with Dento through her annoyance with his mannerisms. Iris being a debbie downer, and snarky is part of her character. Does being Snarky towards Ash, Trip, and Georgia mean she's "flirting" with them too? No, it's just who she is. While the idea of him doing so just to annoy the hell out of her is fun, he's not. Dento is a very expressive character so naturally he's going the act the way he does regardless of who is around.
Exactly how I feel :)

Iris is probably the least shippable of the three girls because she's yet been shown to have any romantic subplot at all (with Misty, there was Rudy and a few other boys, May had Drew, Dawn had Zoey Ursula Conway and....Kenny XP). I dunno, in the beginning of the series, she's been shown to be genuinely touched/surprised at Ash's warm nature towards pokemon. It's not strong, but I hope that they make her completely warm up to him in the in the future. I can see a lot of fluffy scenes coming out of that :P

I just realized that I never answered the last argument, but ZeroX5 and I kinda share the same view point, so I'll address this instead:

Also, speaking of the Cabernet battle, the reason Iris wasn't very loud is because she didn't wanna bother Dent. She had come to conclusion that despite Dent acting the way he did, he really did want to prove Cabernet wrong which is why she acted the way she did. She discovered a completely new side of Dent, a badass side, but at the same time, a nerdy side of him too. But also, she really enjoys his cooking. :P
I think that EVERYONE was surprised at this side of Dento...Not really sure how that would contribute to more smitten-ness...more like nightmare fuel. Cooking? really? Who DOESN'T like his cooking? Bel's DAD liked his cooking, can I pair him up with Dento too?

Should Comashipping even be considered a real shipping? :P

I mean, Paul was so cold and indifferent towards Ash during DP, he barely smiled except for the moments when he made Ash's Pokémon suffer. If their relationship was more friendly there could have been more basis for the supposed "relationship". But all they ever developed on was their rivalry which is what Trip's "rivalry" with Ash seems to lack of. Yeah, Paul learned to respect Ash, to respect his way of training, he changed into a better person but their friendship wasn't really a friendship - Paul was so cold and stoic most of the time towards Ash. So yeah, I can't even see Ash and Paul as normal friends, yet alone as lovers. <_<

LOL, anti-comashipping arguments :P

There's love, and then there's obsession. Paul started off with the latter and worked his way up, it's just in his nature to do that. I think he gain sadistic pleasures in being more powerful than Ash, since he's so closely related to his goal (since Paul wishes to prove that he's better than his brother, and Ash was essentially an expy of his brother, so it was like indirectly satisfying his goals every time he crushed him). This of course grew into mutual respect when he found out that Ash had already beaten his goal a long time ago. I don't think they were ever made friends, but at the same time, friendliness isn't needed in a relationship. Just interaction with the other party, and boy was there a lot of it. I think they share something even stronger than that sexual tension, a cosmic understanding of each other's aspirations and the desire to impress one another. Even if they still lack a friendship, I will quote: "When one life meets another, something will be born...That something is, a bond." (go Cyntha, you Crazy Comashipper, you ^_^).

Not really. While I admit that the same teasing she does with Ash could be attributed to Negaishipping as well, it's kinda gotten really obvious that she has this chemistry with Cilan which she only shares with him. Georgia is her rival and thus their rival-like relationship is similar to the Ash/Gary one, albeit, more *****y in female kind of way. Not to mention that Iris was snarky only once towards Trip, how is that even supposed to be flirting?
I don't really see what's so unique about Iris's and Dento's relationship. He does something weird, Iris calls him out for it, Dento let's it roll off his back like water on a duck. Same thing happens to nearly every other character Iris interacts with ._.' I think that because the back and forth interactions between Georgia and Iris are so much more dynamic, it's just a more interesting pair :P (imagine the hate s*x). And I'm pretty sure that a lot of people see Iris/Trip more on Trip's side, since he's the one being so butthurt over her comments and he's the one who went up in her face to take that picture...

I'd also like to point out the blushing in the subway when Cilan was acting like a total nerd. Ash acts like an idiot all the time around different people but now suddenly she was embarrassed by Cilan's behavior? Why?
...Oh, I dunno. Maybe it was the DEGREE to which Dento was nerding out?? He was having an orgasm about trains in a train in front of young children. Now, I know that we must try our best not to be so judgmental, but...who wouldn't be embarrassed by that? The worst Ash can do is like tell pikachu to use an electric move on a ground type, which I suppose is pretty darn embarrassing too, but not as much as the train-loving sommelier.

Oh, by the way, the Cottonee episode. Why was Cilan so bothered with Iris speaking about love with her mouth full? Did he feel as if Iris didn't respect love as much as he did? He was obviously kinda annoyed by that.

All I can say is, we're halfway through, and there are more Iris/Cilan moments awaiting us in the future, for sure.
Because Cilan is a refined person and is probably all for table manners and stuff since he owns a fancy cafe ._.

And he IS annoyed that Iris would disrespect love like that, but he would have reacted the same for anyone else. Yes, even Ash if he knew what the heck he was talking about.

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
Years
  • Age 22
  • Asia
  • Seen Mar 11, 2015
There's love, and then there's obsession. Paul started off with the latter and worked his way up, it's just in his nature to do that. I think he gain sadistic pleasures in being more powerful than Ash, since he's so closely related to his goal (since Paul wishes to prove that he's better than his brother, and Ash was essentially an expy of his brother, so it was like indirectly satisfying his goals every time he crushed him). This of course grew into mutual respect when he found out that Ash had already beaten his goal a long time ago. I don't think they were ever made friends, but at the same time, friendliness isn't needed in a relationship. Just interaction with the other party, and boy was there a lot of it. I think they share something even stronger than that sexual tension, a cosmic understanding of each other's aspirations and the desire to impress one another. Even if they still lack a friendship, I will quote: "When one life meets another, something will be born...That something is, a bond." (go Cyntha, you Crazy Comashipper, you ^_^).
Wow, how could I have missed all that sexual tension? Maybe it's all in your head since I'm still waiting for some solid proof. :P

I don't really see what's so unique about Iris's and Dento's relationship.
Unlike Misty and Brock, writers treat Iris and Dento as a pair. Whether it is promoting the movie tickets for the upcoming Pokémon movie (it's movie time!!!!!) or the the official art featuring Iris and Dento holding hands and dancing in the musical - they are always featured together. They were introduced together and they will both leave at the end of BW. My point is - Iris and Dento are so alike and yet different from each other. They contrast each other in many ways while sharing a decent number of similarities as well. I've said this many times before but they represent B & W, IMO.

Spoiler:

Why have Iris dance with Dento? Why not Ash? Why not Kibago? :P

You see, that's what I'm talking about. This is why Wishfulshipping is so popular - Iris and Dento match perfectly to each other. While she may be snarky, she respects Dento and his cooking. Dento has great faith in Iris' abilities and he's the perfect person needed to transform Iris from a hypocritical little girl into a mature person. Dento may not feel the same way as Iris but I'm pretty convinced what Iris feels towards Dento is more than just a friendship. Possible crush, but definitely not love.

And he IS annoyed that Iris would disrespect love like that, but he would have reacted the same for anyone else. Yes, even Ash if he knew what the heck he was talking about.
We don't know that now, do we? :/

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
This is my plain and simple answer to this debate; Ash loves Misty Iris. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014

You see, that's what I'm talking about. This is why Wishfulshipping is so popular - Iris and Dento match perfectly to each other. While she may be snarky, she respects Dento and his cooking. Dento has great faith in Iris' abilities and he's the perfect person needed to transform Iris from a hypocritical little girl into a mature person. Dento may not feel the same way as Iris but I'm pretty convinced what Iris feels towards Dento is more than just a friendship. Possible crush, but definitely not love.

Because he's Ash? Honestly, think about it. Ash's character. Would it make more sense to see him dancing with a girl, or a Pokemon. I don't know about you, but Ash dancing with a Pokemon is alot more in character. Guess who slow-danced with Misty in the Lighthouse episode WAAAAY back in Kanto.....that's right Brock.

At any rate, I can't make you believe anything contrary. I can just provide a non-biased opinion. Just because they are advertised together doesn't mean the writers are trying to make them a couple or anything. Dawn, and Ash where treated as a pair, and nothing happened.

Also, you seem to forget that regardless of showing them "dancing together"...it didn't actually happen in this episode. Quite the oppisite really. Both Ash, and Iris abandonded Dento because Ash promised he would hang out with Iris. They played tennis together, went to the musical, ice cream...etc, etc. That made Negaishippers happy of course, but I still don't see it as any more than a friendly gesture.

Last edited:

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
Years
  • Age 22
  • Asia
  • Seen Mar 11, 2015
Because he's Ash? Honestly, think about it. Ash's character. Would it make more sense to see him dancing with a girl, or a Pokemon. I don't know about you, but Ash dancing with a Pokemon is alot more in character. Guess who danced with Misty in the Lighthouse episode WAAAAY back in Kanto.....that's right Brock.
Well, um, that's true. But Ash WAS dancing with a Pokémon in the same picture where Iris and Cilan were dancing.

I don't know, I never really could see Misty and Brock together. :/

At any rate, I can't make you believe anything contrary. I can just provide a non-biased opinion. Just because they are advertised together doesn't mean the writers are trying to make them a couple or anything. Dawn, and Ash where treated as a pair, and nothing happened.
Haha, I'm also a Pearlshipper which is why I don't ship Ash with Iris. xP

Regardless of what happens - shipping is meant for fun, right? Oh, I was also just going to point out how Iris and Dento are sometimes excluded just like Ash and Dawn were in DP. I'm not really sure whether ANY of Ash's shippings will come true - I don't see it happening, but if it did, I could see Ash ending up with Dawn since they shared the closest bond.

The funny thing is, when I was younger, as soon as the girl left I would change the main Ash shipping. That's how I went from Pokeshipping to Advanceshipping and then to Pearlshipping. But now with Negaishipping introduced - I can't really feel it. For some odd reason I prefer pairing up Iris with Dento rather than Ash like I usually did with the main girls.

Also, you seem to forget that regardless of showing them dancing together...it didn't actually happen in this episode. Quite the oppisite really. Both Ash, and Iris abandonded Dento because Ash promised he would hang out with Iris. They played tennis together, went to the musical, ice cream...etc, etc. That made Negaishippers happy of course, but I still don't see it as any more than a friendly gesture.
Haha, that is also true. I hated that episode. xD

Well honestly, I can understand Iris. It IS more fun to explore one of the biggest cities in Unova than to collect stamps in a lousy subway.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
This is my plain and simple answer to this debate; Ash loves Misty Iris. :)
^ This. I feel like I've just high fived myself D:

ben_Pokemon said:
The funny thing is, when I was younger, as soon as the girl left I would change the main Ash shipping. That's how I went from Pokeshipping to Advanceshipping and then to Pearlshipping. But now with Negaishipping introduced - I can't really feel it. For some odd reason I prefer pairing up Iris with Dento rather than Ash like I usually did with the main girls.
It's actually the opposite of that for me. I kept with Pokéshipping until I saw the second episode of Best Wishes. I even made a Negaishipping video on youtube. (using those only two episodes at that time) That being said, people still ship multiple shippings with the same characters being involved. I sort of like the theory of each Ash of every region/generation/saga with May/Dawn/Iris. It sounds fun.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Resource-intensive 'shipping folks.

You never see people who deposit all their loyalty, efforts, and attention to just one ship anymore, do you? Especially with old ships, like before DP. Ah, but that's where I come in, here to play underdog in the crowds of indecisive people. Well, then again maybe not. I have nothing to constructively argue on, as my shipping palette contains only one color, if you will.

But I will make one note to you people: Shipping in Best Wishes is a lot more attention-intensive with hints than in the old sagas, and I think few will deny that. By attention-intensive, I mean you must align yourself to see hints more closely — kind of like when your in a natural disaster your mind is tempted to craft signs from God (the signs being illusions, of course, but not necessarily the hints which are being compared). I hope that's enough to fill your 'plate' of food-for-thought for now ;)

CommanderPigg

Years
Wow, how could I have missed all that sexual tension? Maybe it's all in your head since I'm still waiting for some solid proof. :P
Notice the strike out? It means that I'm kidding :P kinda
I've collected a compilation of screenshots to further my point v_v
Spoiler:

Unlike Misty and Brock, writers treat Iris and Dento as a pair. Whether it is promoting the movie tickets for the upcoming Pokémon movie (it's movie time!!!!!) or the the official art featuring Iris and Dento holding hands and dancing in the musical - they are always featured together. They were introduced together and they will both leave at the end of BW. My point is - Iris and Dento are so alike and yet different from each other. They contrast each other in many ways while sharing a decent number of similarities as well. I've said this many times before but they represent B & W, IMO.
I still fail to see how this is a hint...it just means that they're marketable when they're beside each other, just like Ash and Pikachu X'D And Misty and Brock WERE put together as a pair, they introduced the hoso specials together, very cutely might I add :P

I can't see the picture, but I think that ZeroX5 summed it up quite nicely XD

We don't know that now, do we? :/
I can be a total snark to someone and quiet up the moment they feed me. I'm like a cat, lol. That doesn't mean that I'm crushin' on them. Ash also has respect for Iris's abilities, and so do Bel, and Langley, and Kenyan, and Don George, and Trip, and basically everyone else who've seen her battle :P

And I don't think that Dento's out to change anyone, nor would Iris want to change just for the sake of getting anyone to like her. That's lame, both in real life and in fiction. "Crush" is an appropriate word, but I can only relate it closely on Iris's side, never Dento's. But Iris is a little girl, and little girls will often get these momentary crush lapses. Heck, if I traveled with Dento...*_*

You never see people who deposit all their loyalty, efforts, and attention to just one ship anymore, do you? Especially with old ships, like before DP. Ah, but that's where I come in, here to play underdog in the crowds of indecisive people. Well, then again maybe not. I have nothing to constructively argue on, as my shipping palette contains only one color, if you will.

I will stand by this statement always: Multishipping is a beautiful thing. I know what it's like to be a monotypeshipper. It was fun. It was pure. It was a joyous experience. But it really limited my views on other shipping possibilities, and I guess made me a bit narrow minded in the process. Plus, it was hard to find fanart of just THAT pairing once I had looked through all of it XDD

With multishipping, not only can you relate with more people, but you can enjoy so much more fan material, see things from different perspectives and basically have a jolly good time.

Not saying you should change, since there are advantages and disadvantages to both, but always keep an open mind, you never know what's gonna happen, ya know? ;)

But I will make one note to you people: Shipping in Best Wishes is a lot more attention-intensive with hints than in the old sagas, and I think few will deny that. By attention-intensive, I mean you must align yourself to see hints more closely — kind of like when your in a natural disaster your mind is tempted to craft signs from God (the signs being illusions, of course, but not necessarily the hints which are being compared). I hope that's enough to fill your 'plate' of food-for-thought for now ;)
Do you know why that is? There is no blatant romance plot in BW at all. I will fully admit this. In the original series you had PokeShipping. Even if I'm not a shipper, I can't turn a blind eye to the blatant hints presented...especially with Misty's raging jealousy whenever a girl advanced on her Ashy-boy :P

In Hoenn, you had Contestshipping. Basically making it impossible for someone to deny that Drew and May had a little thing for each other. Too many instances to site, but the severe blushing at any mention of their relationship is enough for me XP

DP...it was like, every boy x Dawn.

BW...Actually, let me retract that statement. There is one instance that's hard to look over, but it's not that widely talked about because the character is kinda minor. SommelierShipping (Cabernet x Dento) anyone? XD But since that's a fairly minor instance, I guess I can see why BW is considered the least shippy saga :P

but cafemocha still rules

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Curious, if you "disliked" that episode...how did you feel about DP 180? With the whole Ash/Dawn/Kenny thing.
This is where I come in. The episode, in my plain opinion, was much rather a Pearlshipping episode than a PenguinShipping episode. I always had the opinion Kenny liked Dawn but she didn't feel the same way (which I'm sure in in one of the previous shipping debate threads) and then this episode sort of proved it. She wanted to go and cheer Ash on in the league, rather than go and travel with Kennny. But why mention Ash/Dawn/Kenny? If you ask me, she knew she'd see Paul if she went along with Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back