• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym leader gimmicks besides type?

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
I want to do something different than the type-themed gyms. so i'm looking for other things to go on.

I have the "Lucky/Chance" gym as an example(the only one i've been able to come up with really)
All the gym leader's pokemon have metronome, attract, something to raise a random stat, and something to confuse.
You win by sheer luck.

any other ideas for themes like that?

Rainney

Kogarasumaru Founder
Years
i can share you a little bit idea even so i also sti fixed my own games world are in work and handle them.. how about try make the gym leader have a diffrent element pokemon and make them to go traveling with the main player... and find their own way and learn more about new type off pokemon that they can have for their own gym and battle other trainer as well

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I recall in Norman's gym in RSE each room had a specific theme. Luck/chance sounds like it could be fun, maybe including Pokemon that know some one-hit KO moves or are evasive. Consider perhaps a healing theme where each Pokemon knows moves like recover, a weather-changing team where every Pokemon sent out has an ability that changes the weather. Using themes definitely sounds fun!

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
You may take into account making gyms, gym trainers and gym leaders based off :

-Environmental themes
Depending on the environment within or outside the gym, different varieties of
types and species could fit within.The gym could also happen to be open-air

-Other functions covered by the gym and its hosts
In Unova there's a Gym working also as a restaurant and one being
inside a museum.You might also connect the gym's functionality to
multiple types and species.

-Historical re-enactings
Tricky one : you'd need to think up of ancient lore and traditions that
relate to the region or the settlement.The trainer would make their team
battle whilst taking part into a traditional recurrence or the re-enacting of a historical event

-Works of fiction and legends
Like the historical re-enacting, you'd have to make up something,
the player's team fights its way through, but this time in what is the re-enacting of
a tale, legend, book, movie, play or game in the Poké-world

-Symbolisms
Erm... there isn't a canon Poké-heraldry, some symbolisms may
only be attributed based off Pokédex entries or other stuff...
this one is too complicate, and perhaps you should ignore it,
however I do, believe aggron could represent the tutelation of landscape,
arcanine and maybe stoutland could represent swiftness and protection,
magikarp could represent struggle for the achievement of high goals,
ampharos could represent guidance and warning,
wobbuffet could represent patience, endurance and perseverance,
pidgey could represent preferrance for a peaceful life
and tranquill tranquillity (ba-dum-tsss!).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I like a lot non-type themed GYMs idea or even a number of GYM other than 8.

Personally, I didn't liked the metronome idea, but I liked Petalburg GYM idea.

I suggest generations, colours, weather (Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Hail), Egg-Group, animal-based, habitat, body style and even Mystery Dungeon Friend Area (mixing some for this last).

Last edited:
Years
Like you did with your lucky Gym idea, base them off of battle mechanics. Take gimmicks to their logical extremes. I could see a Gym with longevity as the theme. Recycling good items, healing moves, status effects that waste the player's turns, Drain tanking + Block/Mean Look, etc.

And the Gym Leader surprisingly has only one pokemon...
Spoiler:

BluRose

blu rass
Years
And the Gym Leader surprisingly has only one pokemon...
Spoiler:
oh the memories

5xYD1dr.jpg

let's get a team going
blissey with the same moves (softboiled > recover),
pain split-recycle-softboiled-block leppa mew,
wish-heal pulse-mean look-recycle gardevoir
any suggestions?

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
Actually, one of the ideas I had for a ROM hack was to give each of the Kanto Gym Leaders an entirely new team based off of a certain theme. I haven't worked out all of the details yet, but I have a few ideas.

Spoiler:

It's still a work in progress, but I think it has potential.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Weather gyms would be cool, along with Pok?mon with weather activated abilities and types that benefit from the weather effects.

And how about a sound gym? Majority of 'sound' Pok?mon are of the Normal type (Whismur line, Chatot), but there's also Chingling/Chimecho, Kricketot/Kricketune, and a few more.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Something just passed by my head :
You probably already read someone suggesting an "illusionist" trainer class,right?
What if the whole gym was based off mirages, illusions, optical tricks, deceiving and even
philosophical doubting about reality?
Some eligible Pok?mon :
Zorua and Zoroark-Obvious illusionists
Typhlosion-Able to cloak in a heat haze, accordingly to the dex
Keckleon-Can easily camouflage in any environment
Gothitelle-This Pok?mon is, accordingly to the pok?dex, a planetarium
Mr.Mime-Capable of creating imaginary walls that, once thinked as real ,become such
Kirlia and Gardevoir-Kirlia, accordingly to the dex, creates nonexistent mirage scenery when using psychic powers, and I expect Gardevoir to do the same
Ditto-Able to turn into anything it sees
I don't have a vast knowledge of the dex voicesentries, so...
sorry if I couldn't really get much

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 4, 2018
Of maybe even something like the battle factory? You are given 6 options but can only use 3. All gym trainers use random pokemon and after you win and can swap 1 of your pokemon for theres.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
Like you did with your lucky Gym idea, base them off of battle mechanics. Take gimmicks to their logical extremes. I could see a Gym with longevity as the theme. Recycling good items, healing moves, status effects that waste the player's turns, Drain tanking + Block/Mean Look, etc.

oh the memories
let's get a team going
blissey with the same moves (softboiled > recover),
pain split-recycle-softboiled-block leppa mew,
wish-heal pulse-mean look-recycle gardevoir
any suggestions?
these sound like fun. i've made a little list of all the suggestions i've gotten and my own ideas.

here's what else i have so far
>Elite Four use four different weather teams. - not really sure about this for the elite four. one pokemon with air lock ruins it. maybe for a gym

>Have a "Stall" Gym where the trainers/leader focus on bulky Pokemon and Burn/Poison/Curse/Wrap-like moves.

Gym ideas:
>Stall Gym (Burn/Poison/Curse/Wrap-like moves) - this one seems pretty good
>Disguise Gym (Ditto, Zorua line, Rotom, Mimikyu, Voltorb line, etc.) - there's not really much of a gimmick to this one.
>Momentum Gym (focus on moves like Rollout, Fury Cutter, Echoed Voice, etc. Leader's Pokemon all hold a Metronome) - another one i like, maybe add an accuracy boost/evasion dropping move for added
>Powerup Gym (trainers all use a variety of buffing moves; leader's team consists of 3 Baton Passers with different buffs, Focus Sashes, and a sweeper, with the goal being to stop the "runner" before it reaches the "goal", or at least eliminate the "baton"; could possibly have a racing theme to keep in line with the Baton Pass gimmick of the leader, and how well Speed Boost would fit on a generic trainer here) - i like this one a lot
>PP Gym (Pressure, Spite, and Grudge, plus defensive moves like Protect/Detect; could possibly also work as a trainer or two/a Pokemon for the leader of the Stall Gym) - definitely ties in with the stall gym but its interesting
>Mirror Gym (have it be the final gym; game records your team at each Gym clear - each trainer uses a level-scaled version of your team at the time you cleared the gym, with proper evolutions and natural moves replaced with later natural moves; Gym Leader copies your team exactly) - could be interesting, but difficult to make
>Drain/heal Gym (drains hp, focus on healing and high hp-based attacks) - similar to the stall gym, but the high hp/hp based attacks definitely separate them
>6 Imposter Ditto with different items. - they'd all just appear as dittos
>A Gym that uses random teams for each trainer and the gym leader, you will not know the strategy that the gym leader will use until you fight him and it will change every time - running a randomizer basically. don't like this one much. Randomness tends to make the games far too easy to cheat, just keep reloading the save until you get a weak enemy team.
>Trick Room Gym: - would need more to it than just trick room
>Setup Gym: anything with Dragon Dance or Double Team should work - similar to the powerup gym, minus the baton passing. One one hand, it'd be easier for the gym leader, he wouldnt be entirely screwed when the baton passer dies, but on the other, it keeps from supercharging the pokemon which is the main gimmick to the powerup.
>TM Gym: all pokemon use movesets entirely comprised of tm/hm/egg/tutor moves, nothing learned from level up. - Trainer really can't prepare for this one, definitely an idea for later in game
> Double battle only gym: - not quite what i was thinking. its a little bland.
>Gym where a random weather effect is automatically set up at the start of each battle. Gym leader has 4 different teams tailored for any type.: - its not bad but i dunno about this one. maybe if we added attacks that benefit, e.g. thunder with rain dance, solar beam with sunny day, etc.

Back