• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon ObsidianBlack & PewterWhite (Beta 3.0 available!)

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Introduction
Pokémon ObsidianBlack and PewterWhite are technically my first hacks. They have been in development since mid 2013 and have gone through many different changes and adjustments to make them polished and good. They're paired just like the official games and I hope they will turn out great! The hacks are currently in Beta stage, with Beta 3.2 just released.

Plot
You're a 12-year old boy from Eventura City of the Ocrat region who just got his Pokémon License and wants to go out and collect eight gym badges to become the Pokémon League Champion. Meanwhile, the crime boss Giovanni has finally come out of hiding and has pieced Team Rocket back together. It's obvious he has learned from his mistakes and will do anything to succeed in his plans!

Features

• About 90% of the game is de-capitalized, meaning that IT no longer SHOUTS at YOU
  • Balanced difficulty unlike all some other hacks
  • Fairy type!
  • Lots of references to games from other series
  • Physical/Special split
  • Pokémon from Generation IV and V, including: Buizel, Floatzel, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Electivire, Riolu, Lucario, Magmortar, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Reshiram, Weavile, Zekrom
  • Reusable TMs!
  • The final versions will have ~250 catchable Pokémon, all which have movepools based off of their Generation VI ones and detailed new Pokédex entries that combine all official ones and add more twists (who knew that Exeggcute's scientific name was "Eggus Livious"?).
  • The final versions will have the Ocrat region and the Duo Islands coming packed with 4 more Gyms!
  • You can hold up to 999,999,999 PokéDollars
  • You can sit on stools!
  • Your character talks and is much more interactive

Screenshots
Here's some screenshots for you to observe.
Spoiler:

Evolution Changes
This is a list of all changed evolutions.
Spoiler:

Credits
All of the users below are from PokéCommunity unless noted otherwise. If you see something you made, but you aren't in the list, make sure to tell me and I'll sort it immediately!
Spoiler:

Known Issues
This is a list of the bugs that are currently known. The amount of exclamation marks determines how serious the issue is. If they're bold, then I may or may not know how to fix the issue. If the exclamation mark(s) is/are strike-throughed, then the bug is fixed for the next version.

The game has been known to freeze if you hit A and/or Up right after the forced ghost battle roadblock in the Cemetery. I haven't been able to reproduce this reliably, so you're best off being careful. (!!!)
New Pokémon have no cries. (!)
Field moves are invisible in the Pokémon menu. You have to guess what it is using the little description. (!)
Opening a menu, such as the Pokémon menu, Pokédex menu or the bag while riding a bicycle will rarely (usually after a rival battle) cancel the effects of the bicycle. You need to use it again to get your speed back. (!)
Pokédex entries are mixed up. (!)

Downloads
And of course, the most important part of the post. The download link! NOTE: Make sure to enable the Real-Time Clock when playing these games! If playing on Android, John Cena GBA should support it. Click here to download the latest version (Beta 3.2).

Changelogs
You can find the changes for any version, including future ones, past ones and the one currently in production (be very wary of major spoilers!) on my website.
Beta 3.2
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Beta 3.1
Spoiler:

Beta 3.0

Spoiler:

Beta 2.1

Spoiler:

Beta 2.0
Spoiler:

Past downloads
Note: These versions are just here for display. They're no longer supported and any issues related to them that don't exist in the newest version will not be fixed for them.

BETA
Beta 3.1
Beta 3.0
Beta 2.1
Beta 2.0
Beta 1.2
Beta 1.1
Beta 1.0

ALPHA

Note: Save files and save states from Alpha versions are not compatible with Beta versions and vice-versa.
Alpha 2.0
Alpha 1.1
Alpha 1.0

Let's Plays
There's currently no known let's plays of this hack that go up to Beta 2.0.

Old Let's Plays
Let's Play by Fitzhogan11 on Youtube - goes up to the end of Alpha 2.0

Userbars
If you really like these hacks, why not support them by putting this userbar in your signature?
PuCNICs.png

HTML:
[URL=www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8625851][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PuCNICs.png[/IMG][/URL]
…Or if you're crazy enough, a QR code also works!
Spoiler:

External Links
A couple of external links related to the hacks.

• Romhack.me project — Here you can find updates, screenshots and more.
  • Ocrat Pokédex — The official list of Pokémon. Version exclusives are noted.
  • Trainer Suggestion System — Here you can suggest the names and classes of trainers that you want to see.
  • Latest Version Progress — Here you can see how complete the next version of the hacks is, as well as read the changelog for any version you want to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
Pretty good. The crazy gym leader and the trojan Rhyhorn were hilarious. :D

Some things;

Mareep and Riolu fail to evolve, I suppose because of the lack of National Pokedex. Most likely the same goes for Golbat, though I didn't test it.
You had an event where Flan and Blue were arguing at some point (I think after the first gym). If you talk to Flan before completing the events in the previous city, the game freezes.
The game froze for me when I talked to the chef in Restaurant Lune, but that doesn't always happen.

Keep up the good work :D

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
This looks amazing! The only thing I would like are new tiles. But other than that, just amazing.
1.%20smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback! These tiles always get to me, in the Alphas they really didn't look good, so I changed them to the current ones. I don't think I'll do inside tiles or house tiles, but we'll see. It's up to free space and block space, really!

Pretty good. The crazy gym leader and the trojan Rhyhorn were hilarious. :D

Some things;

Mareep and Riolu fail to evolve, I suppose because of the lack of National Pokedex. Most likely the same goes for Golbat, though I didn't test it.
You had an event where Flan and Blue were arguing at some point (I think after the first gym). If you talk to Flan before completing the events in the previous city, the game freezes.
The game froze for me when I talked to the chef in Restaurant Lune, but that doesn't always happen.

Keep up the good work :D
Thanks for the feedback! I'll make absolutely sure to check out the problems you mentioned and might even release a Beta 1.1 later today because everything seems pretty simple to fix.

Edit: I can't get the game to crash by talking to the chef. Other two bugs are confirmed and will be fixed.

Last edited:

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I see many promising screens and changes! I'll be sure to give the beta a try.
Thanks! Tell me what you think when you play it — I'm always willing to make changes.

Does this have shinnies? Weird question I know but Just wondering :p
Yes, it does have shinies at their normal rate, 1/8192 (don't ask how I know that by heart). There's also a forced shiny in the Ancient Waterway (Nidoking/Nidoqueen). When Beta 3.0 comes out, there will be another forced shiny (probably Magneton or Magnezone) and one of the Gamma versions (i.e. the post-game) will have a third forced one, probably a Dragonair or Dragonite (yes, I've planned even that).

Wow, this really does look amazing. Excited for what's to come :)
Thanks for the feedback! You really don't want to know about the plot twist coming up in the next Beta. I've planned some other things too, including alternate dimensions, nuclear reactors and volcano eruptions. All of those are, well, pretty far away if you don't count the first.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 15, 2016
Hi, First of all this game looks amazing! I Will be playing a beta soon. Also, I was just wondering if you were planning on changing the main heroes sprite?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Hi, First of all this game looks amazing! I Will be playing a beta soon. Also, I was just wondering if you were planning on changing the main heroes sprite?
I'll be happy to hear any feedback once you play it! As for your question, no. All the plans I've made for the game pretty much have him in mind and the fact you can't name him will make it kinda bad for players who have already begun the game. Putting that aside, I'm also a terrible graphic artist and none of the other protagonists look like they have the same nature as him.

Edit: Beta 1.1 has been released! This is simply just a bugfix update to sort out some of the bugs pointed out by angellos as well some other ones.

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
SWuwdy2.png

"I have brain...." Oh my lordy lord lord, the level of trolls in this statement are just too much to handle, oh wait it's a grammatical error.

z8O9Slc.png

When a pokemon uses "Perish Song", you get this weird word when it tells you about the countdown.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
"I have brain...." Oh my lordy lord lord, the level of trolls in this statement are just too much to handle, oh wait it's a grammatical error.
When a pokemon uses "Perish Song", you get this weird word when it tells you about the countdown.
I seriously don't know what to say. The tiles and the fact you were able to name your character tell me the screenshots are most definitely from an Alpha version. Both of those mistakes were fixed in Beta 1.0 and don't appear in Beta 1.1 on which I just tested them. I can't say anything because you somehow got your hands on an Alpha version (probably from the main post, though they're old and they're just there to preserve them). Maybe try downloading Beta 1.1? Sorry, that's just the nicest way I can put it.

Years
I just read the story. So, a 10 year old beating the whole Rocket franchise. Seems impossible, but, hey, it's your call. But, if I were you, I'd make him 13 or something older.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I seriously don't know what to say. The tiles and the fact you were able to name your character tell me the screenshots are most definitely from an Alpha version. Both of those mistakes were fixed in Beta 1.0 and don't appear in Beta 1.1 on which I just tested them. I can't say anything because you somehow got your hands on an Alpha version (probably from the main post, though they're old and they're just there to preserve them). Maybe try downloading Beta 1.1? Sorry, that's just the nicest way I can put it.

When I downloaded the hack I am pretty sure the only thing available to download was the Alpha which is why I made the post in the first place. I could be wrong and just missed it but as far as I know when I made the post and downloaded the hack I didn't see the Beta link :s

Last edited:

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I just read the story. So, a 10 year old beating the whole Rocket franchise. Seems impossible, but, hey, it's your call. But, if I were you, I'd make him 13 or something older.
Well actually, it's not gonna be him just beating them, there'll be some wins for them too. Not to mention some connections to ancients that will be revealed much later. And your rivals are 15 and 13 and that's designed to fit in a plot element before Red was born. I'm gonna think about it, but for now the plot is completely finished and it might not let that in.

When I downloaded the hack I am pretty sure the only thing available to download was the Alpha which is why I made the post in the first place. I could be wrong and just missed it but as far as I know when I made the post and downloaded the hack I didn't see the Beta link :s
No problem, mistakes happen. The download links are actually kinda hard too see on dark background, I don't know why. Even !important does nothing to them.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
This kid in Vietta City has a glitched overlap in his text.
Djh88XL.png

She says "Blwill". I assume this is supposed to be "Blue will".
jPqDSoO.png
1. Okay, thanks! Don't know how I didn't notice that, but it's fixed for next version.
2. Right, another minor text mistake. Also fixed.

Last edited:

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
A question I have is where do I go after beating Brenton? (The forth gym)
By standard order, Brenton is third, then Vera. And that's the end of Beta 1. Next version, Beta 2 will go a bit further east of Costero City. It might be released pretty soon, maybe next Friday if I can manage it because I'm gonna be home all this week and the next Monday and Tuesday. Thanks for all the feedback!

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
By standard order, Brenton is third, then Vera. And that's the end of Beta 1. Next version, Beta 2 will go a bit further east of Costero City. It might be released pretty soon, maybe next Friday if I can manage it because I'm gonna be home all this week and the next Monday and Tuesday. Thanks for all the feedback!

Shouldn't this hack be in progressing hacks and not Hacks studio then?

I found some more grammar errors, these were in 1.1 not 1.2 but because of the other ones that reoccur in 1.2 I should just post them all anyway:

Should be Seems not Seemed.
5uoKuXs.png

Might need "a" cast not some cast, also you don't need a comma in that sentence.
b2fc8zq.png

Should be YOU and not YOUR.
1WeFjD0.png

Need "me" after beat.
1DgWEoF.png

Also the gyms for 3 and 4 seem incredibly easy:

This was my beta 1.1 team after the 4th gym:
Ao6VbCW.png

And this was my beta 1.2 team after the 4th gym:
xt1pOGc.png

Gyms 3 and 4 have like level 20 as the highest, I know that you wanted it to be balanced but maybe knocking them up a few levels all around would make it a little more challenging and balance.

Last edited:
Back