• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

:( Disappointed with my fellow fans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
Hi guys,

I?m a long time Pok?mon fan right back to Pok?mon Yellow (I missed Red & Blue), and a lifelong fan on the anime series, however I?ve only recently started to try and make my first game using Pok?mon Essentials. I don?t mean to sound annoyed with what is clearly a very passionate community, but I?ve posted 3 messages on here recently asking for help and had no replies. I could really, really do with some help if someone would care to be kind?

I?m having a problem with the text window inside the Battle Command Box where it says ?What will ___ do?? My text isn?t fitting with the background I?ve designed, so I need to either reposition the text by lowering it, or move the command box higher. I?ve search through the scripts but just can?t understand how I am suppose to do it. I hope someone can give me a hand with this.

Thanks

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Can't you make some changes in pbSetMessageMode in PokeBattle_Scene? Or maybe it's pbShowCommands? pbStartBattle sets lots of coordinates on sprites too?messagewindow, messagebox, commandwindow, fightwindow?

I just searched around for that "what will?" message, looked at the functions that are called around there, and noticed that @sprites seems to be relevant (and notably has x/y coordinates and width/height).

Last edited:

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hi guys,

I?m a long time Pok?mon fan right back to Pok?mon Yellow (I missed Red & Blue), and a lifelong fan on the anime series, however I?ve only recently started to try and make my first game using Pok?mon Essentials. I don?t mean to sound annoyed with what is clearly a very passionate community, but I?ve posted 3 messages on here recently asking for help and had no replies. I could really, really do with some help if someone would care to be kind?

I?m having a problem with the text window inside the Battle Command Box where it says ?What will ___ do?? My text isn?t fitting with the background I?ve designed, so I need to either reposition the text by lowering it, or move the command box higher. I?ve search through the scripts but just can?t understand how I am suppose to do it. I hope someone can give me a hand with this.

Thanks

you should join the discord , i can help you out there more.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Threads as entitled as this one aren't gonna make your case any better buddy. That's why I'm not responding with a proper answer (as two others have already tried to do so).

Anything and everything people do here in the community costs absolutely no money, but it costs time. This is only a hobby for people, and therefore you should appreciate everyone who's even considered - which you can see people have, judging by the view count on the threads you've made so far.

Another piece of advice is not to use "HELP!!!" in the titles of your threads. The whole reason you would've made a thread here is to look for help, so adding that to the title only makes people less likely to click on it. "Pok?mon Essentials v17" is also redundant, because you're expected to be on the latest version anyway if you're posting here.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Congrats on coming here and feeling extremely entitled the first chance you get. I'd like to apologize on behalf of all of humankind, and any extraterrestrials who may be lurking, for such disrespectful (yet most importantly: disappointing) treatment you've gotten. It is a privilege for people who've never met you to jump out of their skin, and urgently aid you in your quest to leech ... I mean enlighten the community with your infinite wisdom. Truly a blessing. One would have to have an extremely foul character not to value this fact.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
Thank you to the first two people for your quick response. I?ve had a look a few of the things you mentioned mgriffin, and I?m pretty sure I?ve been able to work it out!

As for the two replies that came afterwards, bravo! As this is suppose to be a community for Pok?mon fans though, I?d suggest you save your moronic wit for places like Twitter and Facebook. My posts were made very honestly and somewhat naively having never been on this forum before and known what to expect. Having not received any response to three completely different questions over the space of a week, I just assumed I wasn?t part of the little ?click? that people like you are clearly great evidence of. Hopefully you?re part of a minority though.

To ALL other fans on this forum however, I apologise for the way I chose to phrase my post.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Well, something I'd like to note is that it's very very likely that most, if not all who clicked on your threads, simply don't know the solution to your problem. Coding/Scripting is an area that relatively few in the community have experience with.

And as someone whose had many coding question's "ignored" over the years, I can safely say that the current state of the community isn't doing you any favors. It's unanimously less active then it has been in the past(thanks to the real games moving graphically/technologically beyond our realm of emulating), and it's only going to get less active as the years go on.

Long story short, don't take it personally.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, I thought that was probably the case when I thought about it BadSamaritan. I guess all newcomers to Pokemon Essentials are just playing catch up now. No prblem though! Thanks for your response.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Thank you to the first two people for your quick response. I?ve had a look a few of the things you mentioned mgriffin, and I?m pretty sure I?ve been able to work it out!

As for the two replies that came afterwards, bravo! As this is suppose to be a community for Pok?mon fans though, I?d suggest you save your moronic wit for places like Twitter and Facebook. My posts were made very honestly and somewhat naively having never been on this forum before and known what to expect. Having not received any response to three completely different questions over the space of a week, I just assumed I wasn?t part of the little ?click? that people like you are clearly great evidence of. Hopefully you?re part of a minority though.

To ALL other fans on this forum however, I apologise for the way I chose to phrase my post.

It's not about kindness, it's about the type of questions you ask. "How do I do this very specific, minor thing" or "Teach me how to do this" aren't proper questions as they can't easily be answered through text.

And yes, I am part of a minority. A minority of people who actually put time and effort into making public resources - loads of them at that; they're not all on PC though - which you may end up needing in the future.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
It's not about kindness, it's about the type of questions you ask. "How do I do this very specific, minor thing" or "Teach me how to do this" aren't proper questions as they can't easily be answered through text.

And yes, I am part of a minority. A minority of people who actually put time and effort into making public resources - loads of them at that; they're not all on PC though - which you may end up needing in the future.

Well now you're the one being ridiculous. His(or her) questions were perfectly reasonable. In fact calling someone out for their question being specific, when I've seen you time and time again ask people to be more specific with a question, is hypocritical. it's simply this particular post of theirs that was out of line, and they've already apologized for it. Time to move on.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018

Thanks BadSamaritan. I appreciate you being the voice of reason on here.

Marin, as this is a open forum and may well have a number of kids using it, I?m going to refrain from saying exactly what I think about you and all your ?time and effort?. In case you haven?t realised, the entire forum is about 95% of people asking ?specific? things. That?s what it?s generally for isn?t it?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
the entire forum is about 95% of people asking ?specific? things. That?s what it?s generally for isn?t it?
If you already realize this, I don't understand how you can then be surprised or "disappointed" by the lack of responses to your questions. The vast majority of the 95% of people asking "specific" things are in the same boat as you, hence they don't contribute to the solutions of those 95% of people. You want to argue that 95% of people (and the whole forum's design in general) just come here to ask for stuff, but then you want to argue that the vast majority of the "click" here should be at your disposal to help out. You can't have it both ways, and you can't argue it both ways.

There is a large input of inquiries that people have, and not a large input of solutions. You can't expect the 5% to cater to everybody, dedicate their time to everybody; and all this for no return on investment. They don't get knowledge out of it. They don't make a game out of it. They are people, who have to set aside time out of their day, specifically to do you a favour. Why, instead of complaining about ignored threads or hurt feelings, you focus on making a sales pitch that would motivate the other 5% to actually try and want to help you out. Right now, I'm not motivated. Mocking one of the 5% of people who actually contribute to this forum doesn't help your credibility either. Marin's the one you should be sucking up to, as he is the rare breed that actually knows his crap and openly shares his knowledge with others. And he makes a valid point: you'll one day come need his resources/knowledge. We'll see what your sentiment will be when that time arrives.

Us, the "minority", are the ones that fill the Scripts & Tutorials section with crap that you ultimately use to make a game. It is the "minority" that gave you Essentials in the first place. You don't have the substance to back your entitlement, nor your arrogance, is what I'm saying. And as harsh a truth as it may be, no one here is obligated to give you any response to any of your threads. But hey, hopefully I'm just in the minority on that one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
If you already realize this, I don't understand how you can then be surprised or "disappointed" by the lack of responses to your questions. The vast majority of the 95% of people asking "specific" things are in the same boat as you, hence they don't contribute to the solutions of those 95% of people. You want to argue that 95% of people (and the whole forum's design in general) just come here to ask for stuff, but then you want to argue that the vast majority of the "click" here should be at your disposal to help out. You can't have it both ways, and you can't argue it both ways.

There is a large input of inquiries that people have, and not a large input of solutions. You can't expect the 5% to cater to everybody, dedicate their time to everybody; and all this for no return on investment. They don't get knowledge out of it. They don't make a game out of it. They are people, who have to set aside time out of their day, specifically to do you a favour. Why, instead of complaining about ignored threads or hurt feelings, you focus on making a sales pitch that would motivate the other 5% to actually try and want to help you out. Right now, I'm not motivated. Mocking one of the 5% of people who actually contribute to this forum doesn't help your credibility either. Marin's the one you should be sucking up to, as he is the rare breed that actually knows his crap and openly shares his knowledge with others. And he makes a valid point: you'll one day come need his resources/knowledge. We'll see what your sentiment will be when that time arrives.

Us, the "minority", are the ones that fill the Scripts & Tutorials section with crap that you ultimately use to make a game. It is the "minority" that gave you Essentials in the first place. You don't have the substance to back your entitlement, nor your arrogance, is what I'm saying. And as harsh a truth as it may be, no one here is obligated to give you any response to any of your threads. But hey, hopefully I'm just in the minority on that one.

You are something of a minority alright! Is that what you do this for? To get something back? See what you can get in return? You?ve rather confused my two posts anyway. Although I was suggesting that you were part of a ?click? in my earlier post, the 5% I mentioned later on has nothing to do with you. I just referred to those who make up that percentage in such a way as to suggest that they might be on this forum to enjoy the friendly conversation of a their fellow fans. Not asking questions and such. You seem to be spending a great deal of time writing negative responses to those of us who inadvertently phrase a post less than satisfactory. What was that word you used, ?entitled?? Perhaps it?s you that feels rather entitled to some kind of reaction or reverence to your appearance on the forum. Is that what get?s your back up? Whatever your misguided idea of what these kind of forums might be, I?d imagine that their actual purpose is more about fans helping fans. And those of us like myself who have only just gotten into the likes of Pok?mon Essentials, we?re hardly in a position to advise anyone else about it right now are we? Knowledge comes with time and experience. When you gain that knowledge and achieve something with it, that?s when you can come to these forums and give back. How is anyone suppose to learn without asking questions? Or are you just too ?entitled? to see that.

Unlike others on this forum, you and Marin chose to respond to my initial post with snarky wit in an attempt to be funny. I probably chose the wrong turn of phrase initially and I?ve since apologised for it. I?ve got very little time for people like you in your infinite wisdom however, as you hide behind your little computer screen feeling very smug about your very existence. If someone is talented enough to make the kind of resources in the way that Pok?mon Essentials has done, then I?ve got nothing but praise and admiration for them. They?re brilliant. Someone like you who responds to newcomers with only sarcasm and scorn however... let?s just say you don?t garner the same feeling. It just makes you come off looking like a pile of something brown and steaming. So don?t confuse yourself with any percentage of people on here, you?re too much of a minority to even bother calculating.

Last edited:
Years
:( Disappointed with my fellow fans....

I'm not on the side of anybody, but when you are in a forum about questions about essentials, these statements are not a very good way of getting an answer for your problem. Especially the title, which is what started it all. I first thought that it was a joke, someone mad about the "fans" of his game or something like that, not something like a question about the command window.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
I'm not on the side of anybody, but when you are in a forum about questions about essentials, these statements are not a very good way of getting an answer for your problem. Especially the title, which is what started it all. I first thought that it was a joke, someone mad about the "fans" of his game or something like that, not something like a question about the command window.

It was born more out of frustration than anything else at the time Komaoto.I'd asked three previous questions over the last week and received no response. Not that it wasn't done very tongue in cheek at the time though.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Your questions will be answered in time. Have patience and someone might hop on, see your thread, and try to help you.
Especially when you make like 5 threads in just a few days, people will be more inclined in skipping the unread ones.

Not saying what you think about the time and effort I put into this community was a wise choice. You have not the foggiest idea of what I?ve all done, taken on, and published. The whole reason I?m here is to help others - which, sure, I may not have done in this thread - whether that be by moderating this community, by publishing public resources, or by helping others with questions. I?ve done all this and can say that quite a load of time and effort DID go into this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
Your questions will be answered in time. Have patience and someone might hop on, see your thread, and try to help you.
Especially when you make like 5 threads in just a few days, people will be more inclined in skipping the unread ones.

Not saying what you think about the time and effort I put into this community was a wise choice. You have not the foggiest idea of what I?ve all done, taken on, and published. The whole reason I?m here is to help others - which, sure, I may not have done in this thread - whether that be by moderating this community, by publishing public resources, or by helping others with questions. I?ve done all this and can say that quite a load of time and effort DID go into this.

This thread has got a bit out of hand to be honest Marin. My initial post was done rather half-heartedly after all. As close as Pok?mon games might be to my heart, I?ve got much more important things to worry about in life than debating poorly chosen words on a forum. It is all suppose to be about fun after all. Let?s just leave it at that shall we? I apologise for my comments about your time and effort.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Sorry that you didn't get an answer to your question, however I don't think you need to be making multiple threads on this.
This entire thing has seriously derailed into... well... whatever this is, so I'm just going to put a stop to it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back