• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Console Generation

Which Console Generation is your favourite?

• 1st Generation (Magnavox, Home Pong, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd Generation (Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey Ace, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd Generation (NES, Master System, Atari 7800, etc)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 4th Generation (SNES, TurboGrafx-16, Megadrive/Genesis, Neo-Geo)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 5th Generation (Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Playstation, etc)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 6th Generation (Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 7th Generation (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 8th Generation (Wii U, Switch, PS4/Pro, XboxOne/X)

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

pkmin3033

So, what has been your favourite home console generation to date? What makes it stand out over the others for you - is it the games, the hardware, or perhaps your memories of playing it? What would you like to see/expect to see for the ninth generation - if indeed you think there will be a ninth generation at all?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
N64 is by far the best console for me. I have alot of games for that console I love so much and this was my childhood.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
It's really not easy for me to decide. I love NES and Megadrive so much for their 'simplicity', the visuals were beautiful in a special way you can't recreate in modern graphics because every pixel mattered, and the way the games worked, and the ways they were designed.
Even though I am part of the generation that came after that really, I always prefer to play those older games when I have some free time to waste.

But then, I really love how later generations added a lot more complex possibilities in engines and game dev. I mean when I got my first Playstation 2 and Gamecube as a kid they really blew my mind with how much the games could make me feel like I was really seeing into a whole pretend world.

Also, I really love more types of user interface and input devices (maybe those are not the correct terms) like Wii remotes. Although I know many people did not like it, the Motion Plus Wii remote is still my all time best controller setup for anything ever, it really is relaxing and fun to me to use it. Like I can spend hours playing Rune Factory with it, or just mess around on an FPS for a minute, or use it to play DOS point and click games from all around my apartment without any problems, it's really great for me. I want to find a way to control my computers like that lol.

Years
The current generation is my favorite, I have so many games that I am having a blast with.

As for the future, MS is going to basically only release consoles that can run games from x1 forward. I'm hoping Sony releases the ps5 that is bc, but new games more or less I figure will only be on the ps5. Which the ps5 is all but confirmed at this point, but we are just waiting for the official specs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Went with 6th gen! It was a toss up between 6/7 for me, but for me 6th generation had a lot more fun memories associated with it, GameCube parties and staying up late playing PS2 with my cousin.

I know this was home consoles only, but for handhelds the GBA and original DS will always have a soft spot in my heart, I played the crap out of those consoles.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, KH2

Those games were such a huge part of my life. Gotta go with dat ps2 era

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Gen 6 ^_^ I love my playstation 2, and my gamecube. Both of them have adorable and fun games I love to play!....Like my Hello Kitty ones xD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
I like the nintendo ds/dsi, more than 3ds/2ds/2dsxl, but speaking about the topic consoles... 8th gen??? ps4pro...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Growing up as a late teens kid and "young adult" (yeah, I'm pretty much still a kid, IDC) in the eighth gen has been pretty lit, but not for the consoles you listed. The Switch is wonderful - I don't currently have one, but it's wonderful - but I'm really here for the 3DS line more than anything else. I've probably spend more hours 3DS gaming than anything else, owing to games like Fire Emblem, the Zelda remakes, Pokemon, and others, and I've got tons more to go having gotten into JRPGs much more lately - I've found the 3DS actually has a ridiculously good catalogue of JRPG content.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
The Wii was my favorite, because the virtual console let me play many things I would have missed. There were some virtual console games I spent years playing, such as Mario Kart 64. I still have the Wii I got as a present from my 6th birthday.

I also spent lots of time with the Xbox 360. I received Grand Theft Auto 5 for my 13th birthday. I would come home from school and play, and I'd completely lose track of time.

Back