• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confusion about EV training

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
Hello. I am sincerely confused.
I've played every hand-held generation of pokémon but I've never been interested in maxing out stats. I basically just nuzlocked each game.

Recently, I broke my leg, so I've got a lot more time on my hands, and since my pokémon got pokérus I thought I'd take a swing at EV training in Black and White 2 for the DS.

I'd gathered some info on EV training here and there and as far as I understand defeating a certain pokemon gives you a few points in a certain stat, get 4 EV points, get a 1 point increase in that stat, right?
And they told me pokerus doubles the EV values, so I'd get a 2 point increase where there's normally 1, right?

I got a list of Pokemon by effort value field from the bulbapedia site to see which wild pokemon gives what.

So if I'd want an extra point in Attack, using pokérus, I'd need to defeat for example two Lillipups and then level up to get said extra point in Attack, right?

I tried simultaneously training my lvl 25 Braviary, level 16 Drilbur and level 14 Arcanine using three EXP shares, as someone had told me the EV values aren't divided using the EXP share.
I used said pokemon to defeat 127 low leveled Lillipups, Pidoves, Riolus and other pokemon that according to the previously mentioned site all give 1 EV point, doubled with pokerus should be 254 EV points, which should increase the Attack stat to the maximum within the EV possibilities.

I used a rare candy to level each up, to check if it worked. It didn't. The stats shown only increase by 1, or 2, or 3. Nothing extraordinary.

I leveled them up by just playing, thinking maybe this is the problem. Same result.
I considered that maybe not all the EV's are divided among all the pokemon, but regardless, if only the pokemon that fought would have gotten EV's then at least SOME stats should've been out of the ordinary, right?

OBVIOUSLY I'm missing something, but I am at a loss. I wasted a good couple of hours on this and I'm pretty bummed out now. It would be really swell if someone could tell me what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I think I sent you a message right when you posted this, hehe.

Here's what happens and why you don't see any huge leaps in stats: it's because you only get all the stat points from EV training when your Pokemon is level 100. Otherwise, the amount of stat points you get for a particular stat depends on the level. Smogon's EV training guide is the best and the one I used to understand the mechanics, here it is.

Copied from there:

Spoiler:

Also, if you want to check if you've done the EV training correctly, call Bianca in B2W2 and she'll tell you if your Pokemon got 510 EVs in total or 252 EVs in a particular stat.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
Thank you for your quick, simple, and apt response that even a newbie to the concept like me can understand! :))
Wow EV training requires more discipline then I thought, then!
Thanks again pal this is a huge relief for me. I wasnt entirely wasting my life after all!

Back