The PokéCommunity Forums Off Topic Discussions Science & Technology
News Kaby Lake or Ryzen CPUs: no more updates for Windows 7/8

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Old 1 Week Ago (8:23 PM).
the spirit of the fighter

Nature: Brave
Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/68553-microsoft-now-blocks-windows-7-81-updates-kaby.html
Quote:
Despite Microsoft, Intel and AMD all stating that current generation processor platforms, namely Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen, are not supported on operating systems earlier than Windows 10, these latest parts do actually work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

It seems clear, though, that Microsoft doesn't want these processors to work on their older operating systems. So they've decided to roll out a processor check in Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, preventing users from download updates if their system contains a Kaby Lake or Ryzen CPU.

The error message that users have been receiving on these systems reads: "Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows".
So basically now Microsoft is essentially blocking Windows 7 and 8 users from using newer hardware in an effort to get as many people on Windows 10 as possible. Funny enough that the OSes are still completely compatible with these CPUs, but Microsoft just wants more money to be put into users purchasing their latest operating system.

Is Microsoft right in doing this to ensure users are getting the most out of their products, or is this just unfair to all their consumers and that they shouldn't be blocking users purely based on the CPU that they use?

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (7:54 AM).
Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist

Nature: Brave
Microsoft has done all kinds of shady things to get people to move to Windows 10, so this doesn't surprise me a bit. I guarantee they're doing this out of greed; they already stooped to fearmongering and injecting their OS forcefully onto people's computers without their knowledge or permission so why is this any different?

Ironically you pretty much have to turn Windows Update off to stop the series of updates that try to download Windows 10 and install it (at least you did; I don't know if it's that way now,) so this latest attempt to hamper you is pretty much useless.

I support:
Old 1 Week Ago (2:12 PM).

Nature: Jolly
In my opinion, t'd be pretty obnoxious to create updates to prevent new hardware from being used on legacy software. If the hardware is backwards-compatible, then let it be.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links